Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anthropologists to examine remains in Susan Powell search

Topaz Mountain • Anthropologists from the U.S. Bureau of Land Management were expected to arrive here Thursday morning to determine whether remains found as part of a police search for Susan Cox Powell are Native American.

The Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act requires federal agencies to return Native American remains to lineal descendants and culturally affiliated Indian tribes. If anthropologists say the remains are not Native American or cannot make a determination on scene, then a state medical examiner will travel from Salt Lake City to excavate the remains, said West Valley City Police Lt. Bill Merritt.

more at link

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/52591212-78/police-powell-remains-search.html.csp

The Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act requires federal agencies to return Native American remains to lineal descendants and culturally affiliated Indian tribes. If anthropologists say the remains are not Native American or cannot make a determination on scene, then a state medical examiner will travel from Salt Lake City to excavate the remains, said West Valley City Police Lt. Bill Merritt.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/52591212-78/powell-police-remains-susan.html.csp

this update explains why the anthropologist comes in first.

I don't really know what I am talking about here but I think the BLM being brought in is a procedural measure? Isn't this search in a different county? So could LE just proceed with excavating the area without getting the all clear from BLM as it could be a sacred buriel ground or something?

My gut says these are not NA remains because of the 'shallow grave' report. But what do I know? :D

MOO

wm

Hi WM, you crack me up girl! I know what you mean though. I'm not sure what this means. :(

Since there are many American Indians in this area perhaps police are respecting Indian culture..just in case. I am glad to see things slow..

If it is Susan they will get Josh..this group is very determined to get justice for Susan.

WVC chief is heading to scene...hope they are using metal detectors in case Susans rings were discarded.

another snip from the SLT article linked above:

Chuck Cox is doubtful the newly discovered remains belong to his daughter, since the remote location would have been difficult to reach during a snowstorm that occurred the night of the woman’s disappearance.

"To me, it doesn’t seem like it’s very likely. That area is so remote, it could be someone from 100 years ago. It doesn’t feel like it’s anything to get too concerned about," Cox said.

BenWinslow Ben Winslow
Interesting to note: #Utah has no state archaeologist/anthropologists anymore. The guv laid them off, citing budget cuts. #findsusan

Yes, I understand. But he's smack dab between Ely and Simpson Springs, Pony Express, yadaydada and knew about the case. If he'd followed it, and knew about the mine rumors, I'd think he'd also think about the mines around Topaz Mountain.

Even we found an old mine out there, a few years ago....and we were unfamiliar.

I think you mean betweet Delta and Simpson Springs...as Ely, NV is over 150 miles west.

I was just listening to HLN with Robin Meade. She is reporting that "human remains" have been found in an area where Josh Powell liked to go camping. Robin also reporting that it is not known whether remains are male or female, or anything else at this time. She did not even mention the NA possibility, or that anthropologists were heading to the scene to look at the bones. Just to report what I heard. As usual MSM is vague, and behind the times on details.

Anyone have a guess how decomposed a body might be after 21 months?

Depends on the conditions surrounding the body. In the desert, mummification is more likely. But, if the rumors are true and the body was wrapped in plastic, there would more than likely be some sort of tissue and/or fluid.

Also, depends on if the body has been buried the whole time, or if it was moved after being exposed to the elements.

BenWinslow Ben Winslow
Interesting to note: #Utah has no state archaeologist/anthropologists anymore. The guv laid them off, citing budget cuts. #findsusan

Gee Whiz!!!! I am taking a break to do real life stuff and hopefully something new will come to light while I am away. That's what happened yesterday! That's what always seems to happen.:maddening:

Will check in later.

OT Hi Cog!:seeya:

wm

I don't know if it's Susan or not, but I still cannot understand WHY you would go "camping" in a freaking blizzard and sleep in your van? Who calls sleeping in your van camping? I just don't get what the point is. You go for one night, can't enjoy anything outside the vehicle because it's a blizzard out...so basically you drive somewhere just to sleep in your van? Makes no sense what so ever!

I don't know much about anything, but if the body was wrapped in any plastic, I don't think the indian angle would even be mentioned at all.

What does that mean? How deap or detailed is this earth the body is in?

Would JP have been able to dig a shallow grave in the midst of a blizzard? Was the ground frozen then?

Now I'm nervous!! Whatever the outcome, someone will have found a loved one.

If the remains, in fact, are American Indan then NAGPRA- Native American Grave Protection and Repatriation Act is in effect because the land is BLM/Federal land. I am glad to see that they are following protocol; if the remains are American Indian then the local tribal officials will provide a reburial that is keeping in the culture of that tribe if the tribe of origin of the remains can't be determined.

http://www.nps.gov/history/nagpra/

I don't really know what I am talking about here but I think the BLM being brought in is a procedural measure? Isn't this search in a different county? So could LE just proceed with excavating the area without getting the all clear from BLM as it could be a sacred buriel ground or something?

My gut says these are not NA remains because of the 'shallow grave' report. But what do I know? :D

MOO

wm

I don't really know either, but I would think if it is an old tribal burying ground than it deserves respect. So calling in the antropologist sounds like a good plan to me. Regardless what the antro finds, I hope they test the remains to be sure.

It seems to me that neither SPowell or JPowell are in the media with this search and are remaining silent. Or is it just that the press has not been asking them any questions?

Salem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member