New Search 9/12/2011

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So something heated up this case in late July 2011 that prompted them to call Sandy as per my last post.

Evidently something in Ely, NV.

Here is my speculation on that.

Theory: Someone had seen JP there in Ely, NV. JP was on his way back home after taking a "scenic route" from the disposal of the body in Delta, UT. See my below map:

elyutahmap.jpg

Perhaps he got a Motel 6 there in Ely, there just happens to be one right off the freeway he was on, Hwy 50. He still had 4 hours of driving to do, and decided to finish it in the morning.

Perhaps someone hears of the case in July 2011 who was there that night in Ely at the motel, contacts authorities, they look into Motel 6 records and find his name JP in the records for December 7, 2009. It's possible a Motel 6 employee was the one who reported the tip and already had that info ready from the outset of their call.

What is interesting is that Sgt. Powell issued a press release before going to Ely on Aug 18, announcing that a they were going there and had a lead, though wouldn't say when they received it. They invite the media to shoot photos and film, under certain conditions. Perhaps they are simply hoping for more witnesses in Ely to now come forward, and using the media as a vessel to get the word out. But perhaps they are trying to shake the tree of JP and see if he does something incriminating.

Linda Osborne, who has organized searches and searched for Susan since she went missing, posted to the Where is Susan Powell Facebook page Thursday, “All I can say is that this is completely out of character for the WVCPD to be releasing anything on Susan’s case.”

http://www.examiner.com/missing-per...-police-to-nevada-media-invited#ixzz1Y6B0yKaL

They then go to Ely and search the Ely area Aug 19 for the body, but come up with nothing. The search continues for several days I believe.

They then obtain a search warrant with the new information on the case, and are granted one.

They then search the home on August 25th, 2011.

MOO.

It is out of character and that is why it concerns me.
I worry that it might be for positive press... but at this point the tide is going to turn... if they don't find anything in this "grave."

It is out of character and that is why it concerns me.
I worry that it might be for positive press... but at this point the tide is going to turn... if they don't find anything in this "grave."

To say the least.

Unfreaking believable. WHAT were they thinking of? And for those who suggest it was to make JP do something, he has two innocent little boys in his house that he could do something to. Without a body there is little LE could stop until to late.

You don't go around announcing you have a body-and they know perfectly well human remains are going to be seen as a body of sorts - when you don't know, especially over two days.

Very strange. I have to believe there is more going on behind the scenes.

HotLavaJava brought up the possibility that LE has used ground penetrating radar at the location the dogs hit on, and I think that she is spot on!

Check this out. Scroll almost to the bottom of the page for an illustration which shows what can be detected n an unmarked grave.

http://www.geomodel.com/

If this is what they used, I can understand how they are so confident that they have human remains. The dogs don't hit on animal remains, and a grave that is human-sized combined with the rumored "makeshift cross" would be highly indicative of human remains, IMO.

This would explain the reason a lieutenant might come along later to clarify to the press that they haven't actually laid eyes on the bones, because they are now going to sift very carefully through each shovel of soil. When it goes to court, the chain of evidence will clearly show that they did not just dig up the bones willy-nilly, and you know the defense will pick this excavation apart to insinuate that evidence might be contaminated.

HotLavaJava brought up the possibility that LE has used ground penetrating radar at the location the dogs hit on, and I think that she is spot on!

Check this out. Scroll almost to the bottom of the page for an illustration which shows what can be detected n an unmarked grave.

http://www.geomodel.com/

If this is what they used, I can understand how they are so confident that they have human remains. The dogs don't hit on animal remains, and a grave that is human-sized combined with the rumored "makeshift cross" would be highly indicative of human remains, IMO.

This would explain the reason a lieutenant might come along later to clarify to the press that they haven't actually laid eyes on the bones, because they are now going to sift very carefully through each shovel of soil. When it goes to court, the chain of evidence will clearly show that they did not just dig up the bones willy-nilly, and you know the defense will pick this excavation apart to insinuate that evidence might be contaminated.

I think that theory would explain this comment:

The sergeant would not call the remains "bones," and said that whatever police found may not have been visible to the human eye.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/susan-powell-search-human-remains-desert-recent-cops/story?id=14525301

I think that there was a body there that has been moved somewhere else.Seven cadaver dogs can,t be wrong!But maybe something was left.JMO

I think that there was a body there that has been moved somewhere else.Seven cadaver dogs can,t be wrong!But maybe something was left.JMO

7 HRD dogs CAN be wrong- but using mutiple dogs certainly increases the chances that an initial hit is accurate.

I'm a bit concerned though- the video I saw looks like many dogs are out in the same area at the same time. Generally in a search like this, you'd bring out one, let them alert- then put that one up and bring out another, let that one alert- and so on and so forth. That's the only way to ascertain the validity of a hit- at least that's how we do it. Perhaps they did do this, and I haven't come across it yet.

Anyone know the alert used for a hit on aged remains, by each dog?

That would work if there were bones there. Seems like NOTHING is there though so there would be no reason to say human remains have been discovered when there aren't

Say an empty shallow grave was discovered. Say a shallow grave was discovered and they don't know yet what is in it. To say human remains were discovered is just false if they haven't been.

And its no pressure on Josh, he knows where he put them so would know if they are there or more importantly if he moved them and they weren't there. Saying they found the grave woiuld have been just as much pressure as saying human remains were found...if it was going to bring pressure.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44537821/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

~snipped~

As of 5 p.m. MDT, searchers and dogs had dug into the gravesite about 1 foot deep and 3 feet wide, NBC station KSL reported. Merritt said dogs continued to give a "strong indication" that remains are present.

"The dogs are smelling something," he said. "It's human decomposition."

According to article the searchers have only dug down 1 foot. I hope that today's search yeilds some answers. I just don't think the LE would be taking this so seriously and spending time and resources if they didn't feel hopeful that they found someone's remains. Keep on digging LE!! MOO.

Prayers for Susan and her family.

wm

Very strange. I have to believe there is more going on behind the scenes.

I hope so... However, I just keep thinking back to the last media circus (the pits, I think?) when we all thought they must have something for sure.

But I really do hope this is it.

:praying:

An anthropologist who examined the scene where human remains were found Wednesday in Utah's West Desert said the ground had been disturbed recently, according to Lt. Bill Merritt of the West Valley City Police Department.

"We may not even be looking at ten plus years. This may end up being something that's maybe seven or eight or ten years old, or it could be months old or it could [be] anywhere in between," Merritt said.

http://www.fox13now.com/news/kstu-s...for-susan-cox-powell-20110914,0,5405325.story

BBM

For those who are from Utah; was Kiplyn Davis's body ever found?

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20528973,00.html

"While cadaver dogs searching a site in the Utah desert for clues in the Susan Powell case turned up a scent of what police said was 'human decomposition,' no actual remains have been found, contrary to some premature reports earlier this week.

'The dogs are still smelling something, but we have not come across bones,' Police Lieutenant Bill Merritt told the Salt Lake Tribune Thursday night. 'We have not come across clothing.'"

Uhm... premature reports by the police. WTF was with the "no comment" during the presser when asked if there was a skull? Wouldn't that have been the time to clarify -- if the impression that you'd put out there by saying "human remains" was purely accidental -- that in fact you hadn't seen any bones yet?

JP's kids are 6 and 4 (or at least in December they will be.) What do you parents think about the possibility they could help tell where they went on the August camping trip? If JP had told them to promise never to tell where they went, or daddy will be taken away, etc. would that be a barrier here?

I would think, in that case, that there would be interviews done the way that interviews are done with children who are molested. They are taped and then the tapes analyzed; questions are asked that are prompts for not just verbal reactions but facial movement and body language.

I believe that they found a depression in the earth and the dogs hit on it. I believe that when they talked about the earth there being disturbed "recently" they were speaking of "recently" in the context of whether or not it was a NA burial and recently meant that it was in the last 50 years. Not necessarily in the last few months.

I believe that LE spoke so cryptically in the pc's because they were trying to keep the suspect from knowing exactly what they have found, or how much they knew. And partly because they didn't really know what they have found because they haven't seen the remains that they feel certain is there.

I do believe that they haven't found remains as yet because they are taking such care not to miss or damage anything that the excavation is going slowly and that they will find remains today or tomorrow when they resume digging.

They have been back in Utah, yes. More than once. Or Josh at least.
Josh came back a couple of times and it made the news. He also came back when it didn't.

Imagine my shock when he walked out in front of me in a parking lot... complete with that beanie. (It was winter 2010/2011.) :waitasec:

<snipped>:

When you mentioned the beanie I just thought, I wonder if Susan made that hat for him [she did knit alot, right] and that hat became like a 'hair shirt' for him. Think back to the beanie interview when he kept touching and tugging on the beanie, trying to pull it over his ears. hhmmm

Just found this earlier article, packed with info on Steven Powell:

So if SP did keep a journal that was recovered, perhaps he has made trips out to Delta himself to visit the grave site? Please read the full article to see the extent of his obsession with Susan. I also read his song lyrics at his site about her at http://stevechantrey.com/Pages/Default.aspx

Didn't one report say a cross was found there?

They may have found google map searches, etc. on his computer as well. This would be based on a theory that JP confessed the full story to him, and now SP likes to visit the grave site (or has at least once.)

Perhaps they got the latest search warrant from this info:

MOO.

I believe that SP's ex girlfriend was instrumental in providing the info that led to the last few searches too. In her position in the household she might have overheard several things, yet have been unable to question them about what she was hearing. The kids may also have talked to her some.

So the info she got from the family may have been more in the sense of possibilities than actual statements as to what was where and what happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelikaBor