NH NH - Allenstown, Adult Female & 3 Children, found Nov'85 & May'00 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
According to this article, Parabon is going into this area in a big way:

https://www.theatlantic.com/science...g-wave-of-murders-solved-by-genealogy/560750/

I was not sure how I felt when I heard this announcement few weeks ago about Parabon doing the same what DNA doe project is basically doing. If they just going to bank on the recent success of the technique. I mean their phenotyping sketches costs around $4 thousand per sketch, even though I am sure some cost of it is of course justified. And I am in owe that they did came out with this new technique doing sketches by DNA .

Big differences though between DNA doe project and Parabon new genealogical research I guess is that doe project is working on unidentified cases while Parabon is after criminals and murderers.

I was not sure how I felt when I heard this announcement few weeks ago about Parabon doing the same what DNA doe project is basically doing. If they just going to bank on the recent success of the technique. I mean their phenotyping sketches costs around $4 thousand per sketch, even though I am sure some cost of it is of course justified. And I am in owe that they did came out with this new technique doing sketches by DNA .

Big differences though between DNA doe project and Parabon new genealogical research I guess is that doe project is working on unidentified cases while Parabon is after criminals and murderers.

I think the main difference is that DNA Doe Project and Parabon is Parabon is out to make lots of money.

(snipped)
After they ID'd TR and discovered the middle child was his, I read in an article that the adult female's DNA was so degraded, they couldn't compare it to TR's and are only assuming they're not related (paraphrased).

If the two girls are related to the adult woman, and the two girls are not related to TR, then the adult woman almost certainly can't be related to TR either.

Looks like DDP will NOT be working on this case.

In the comment section of their post about Anaheim Jane Doe, someone asked Margaret about the Bear Brook murders and Margaret responded: "We're not involved with that case. I've heard rumors that others have been looking at the DNA."

So there we have it.

I think DDP would have their work cut out for them with this case. It comes with its own set of challenges. The adult female's DNA is so degraded, they couln't even compare it to TR's DNA, according to the last press conference.

I think DDP would have their work cut out for them with this case. It comes with its own set of challenges. The adult female's DNA is so degraded, they couln't even compare it to TR's DNA, according to the last press conference.

Yeah and DDP obviously doesn't do child cases so it's probably for the best.

I wonder if Parabon is doing it or the agency is trying to do it themselves or what. I'm curious about how many genealogists are on CeCe Moore's Parabon genealogy team.

Looks like DDP will NOT be working on this case.

In the comment section of their post about Anaheim Jane Doe, someone asked Margaret about the Bear Brook murders and Margaret responded: "We're not involved with that case. I've heard rumors that others have been looking at the DNA."

So there we have it.

RBBM, I think the forensic genealogist that helped ID Dawn/Lisa is the one working with NCMEC and LE on this case.

Remember that DDP has to be asked by the LE agency to work on the Does. If LE is already working with geneologists and that's why Margaret said that.

Curious, if the woman's DNA was so degraded, how were they able to show a familiar relationship with the oldest and youngest children?

RBBM, I think the forensic genealogist that helped ID Dawn/Lisa is the one working with NCMEC and LE on this case.

Remember that DDP has to be asked by the LE agency to work on the Does. If LE is already working with geneologists and that's why Margaret said that.

Curious, if the woman's DNA was so degraded, how were they able to show a familiar relationship with the oldest and youngest children?

{{BBM for focus}}
The AG in the first press conference (Nov 2015) explains this very well toward the end during the Q&A when someone asks why they didn't compare all the victims' DNA to males in the criminal database.
If you want to watch it, I have a link & can pm it to you, please let me know. I won't re-post the link here because the video preview takes up the whole page, LOL.

Shorthand summary: They have solid maternal (mitochondrial) DNA from the adult woman, so they can relate to her through the female line.

What they don't have is usable full DNA that would identify the male side of ancestry.

Thank you carbuff and thank you alleykins for the offer. I'm deaf so I'm not sure the press conference is captioned, as most are not.

I wonder when the last time they tried to get a useable sample was.

Thank you carbuff and thank you alleykins for the offer. I'm deaf so I'm not sure the press conference is captioned, as most are not.

I wonder when the last time they tried to get a useable sample was.

You're right. It's not closed captioned. That stinks! I think everything should have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli