GUILTY NH - Camden Hughes, 6, suffocated, Hampton, 14 May 2011 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Why does the ME say he was suffocated but that her final determination is still pending?

"It was really upsetting to find out there was a little boy that he could have died here. You never know,” Hampton resident Larry Regan said.

Regan said he has lived at the motel for the past two months and that most of the people staying there have been long-term residents.

He said that's why he took notice when he saw McCrery check in. Regan said she only stayed for one night.

"She was irate. She was angry and very disheveled. Her hair was all messed up and things like that," Regan said.

He said he never saw Camden but heard McCrery yelling at him as he passed by her room last week.

"(She was) just yelling. Typical screaming of a parent that was irate," Regan said."

Read more: http://www.wmur.com/news/27945942/detail.html#ixzz1MnQvhaMw

Sounds like what many of us here were thinking: she may have flipped out on him and took it too far. I wonder if the yelling was at 5 a.m? JMO

Local Family helped identify Camden. *Julianne gave several of Camden's toys to this couple's child on Easter Sunday. *From wfaa, a local news channel here in Dallas:*http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/Family-friends-helped-ID-missing-Irving-boy-122208584.html

And several articles here in this archive mention her medical evaluation at Emerson Hospital in Concord:*http://www.necn.com/pages/archive_newengland. These also say that the Texas friends recognized Camden's clothes in th computer image.

Here's a page for the hospital, its just a medical facility:*http://www.emersonhospital.org/

**I really think this was meant to be a murder suicide. *Because the woman was hospitalized (for a physical problem) after LE picked her up, that makes me wonder if she'd already taken an OD (or attempted to) before they found her at the rest stop.*

The other possibility is that the cough is authentic, and she's being treated for that. *Or that she's still going with that cover. *

Here's one more idea. *What if she took him to the hotel, gave him cough medicine, woke to find him dead the next morning, assumed it was an overdose, but he'd actually suffocated in the bed. *He could have been so drugged from the cough syrup that he asphyxiated under the blankets or pillows while he slept. *Especially if they were sharing a bed. *

However, my instinct tells me this was a premeditated situation, and that's why she left the state and told lies about it in the first place.

Let's see if I've been paying attention. She appears to have left her job, voluntarily, some two weeks ago. She appears to have "abandoned" her current relationship with the man who acted as Camden's father within the same period of time. She appears to have left the state of Texas, without telling anyone she knew, within just a few days prior to Camden being found. She appears to have driven 1800+ miles/30+ hours and rented a hotel room. Therefore, it would appear as though she knew no one in that area. Then after she dumps her child, she continued to hang around the area.
BUT she did drive that distance. That, to me, doesn't indicate mental illness. She appears to have had a good deal of her wits about her to make that trip.
I'm going to go out on a limb. I'm not sure "exactly" what happened, but I'm wondering if there is a man involved here..one she met via internet. And perhaps when she got where she was going, things didn't work out as she'd planned. I have difficulty believing that she drove 1,800 miles to end this child's life and dump him in the 100 block of Dennett Road. I don't think the reasons she was in Maine had anything to do with Camden. Seems as if perhaps something pushed her over the edge AFTER she was in Maine. If she did meet someone via internet, I'd say he's connected to the area surrounding Dennett Road. He may never have known that Camden existed and didn't associate the unidentified child's body to JM.

I think this is a good possibility. If she were delusional, having a full-blown manic episode, I don't think she could have made those calls/texts and sounded perfectly normal. And it seems like this trip was planned for a while.

At this point, this seems more like a Susan Smith situation to me.

God bless that beautiful little boy.

I think this is a good possibility. If she were delusional, having a full-blown manic episode, I don't think she could have made those calls/texts and sounded perfectly normal. And it seems like this trip was planned for a while.

At this point, this seems more like a Susan Smith situation to me.

God bless that beautiful little boy.

I am also leaning this way now. I think that there is a missing piece to this puzzle that would clear up why she deliberately hid the fact that she left the state from all of her closest friends and family.

However, I also wonder where that mention of driving all that way "to do this" came from in the early news report. It is possible to be delusional and have one's "wits about one" enough to make plans and carry them out.

I just saw that Camden's bed was in the back SEAT of the truck?????

ETA: forgot the word SEAT

WTH? Was this on the Boston news? Was she obsessed with sleep and sleep patterns or something? She was driving with her son's bed in the back seat of the truck?? Maybe Camden was having sleeping problems and she was trying to drive around to get him to sleep. IDK. This looks premediated to me more but I'll wait for more info. She may have a mental illness. JMO

WTH? Was this on the Boston news? Was she obsessed with sleep and sleep patterns or something? She was driving with her son's bed in the back seat of the truck?? Maybe Camden was having sleeping problems and she was trying to drive around to get him to sleep. IDK. This looks premediated to me more but I'll wait for more info. She may have a mental illness. JMO

Where did you read that she had the bed with her? I saw a bed in one of the videos on YouTube: http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=/&gl=US#/results?q=urgodsproblembaby

It looks like one of those huge plastic car shaped Little Tykes beds. I'm really curious about this.

Let's see if I've been paying attention. She appears to have left her job, voluntarily, some two weeks ago. She appears to have "abandoned" her current relationship with the man who acted as Camden's father within the same period of time. She appears to have left the state of Texas, without telling anyone she knew, within just a few days prior to Camden being found. She appears to have driven 1800+ miles/30+ hours and rented a hotel room. Therefore, it would appear as though she knew no one in that area. Then after she dumps her child, she continued to hang around the area.
BUT she did drive that distance. That, to me, doesn't indicate mental illness. She appears to have had a good deal of her wits about her to make that trip.
I'm going to go out on a limb. I'm not sure "exactly" what happened, but I'm wondering if there is a man involved here..one she met via internet. And perhaps when she got where she was going, things didn't work out as she'd planned. I have difficulty believing that she drove 1,800 miles to end this child's life and dump him in the 100 block of Dennett Road. I don't think the reasons she was in Maine had anything to do with Camden. Seems as if perhaps something pushed her over the edge AFTER she was in Maine. If she did meet someone via internet, I'd say he's connected to the area surrounding Dennett Road. He may never have known that Camden existed and didn't associate the unidentified child's body to JM.

Good post. The same facts have me waiting to make judgment on this one. Everything we know, at this point, about the mother's actions before and after her son's death lead me to believe she was ridding herself of what she considered a burden. Imo, the lies, dumping the body, not proactively confessing, attempting to identify the father (for support?), and distancing herself from the death --> an intentional act to rid herself of her son, not an accident or a delusional belief that she was "saving" her son. I don't know if it has anything to do with a man, but could be.

Until we learn more about the circumstances surrounding this crime, not ready to say that this mother's motives were more akin to those of Andrea Yates than those of Casey Anthony (or Susan Smith, or Dianne Downs...).. Nice photos on Facebook and favorable words from her friend don't hold much water for me. There are warm and affectionate pictures of Caylee and Casey Anthony in abundance. Casey's family, her ex-boyfriend, and her neighbor all initially claimed she was a very good mother and would never harm her child. Susan Smith's husband felt the same way. They were wrong...

P.s. For Camden's sake, I hope his death was the result of an accident or a delusional belief by his mother that she was somehow helping her son.

RIP sweet Camden...

odd wording but basically over a decade ago Julianna was married to her mother's husband's son from a previous relationship. But because the marriage had ended well before Julianna's pregnancy with Cam, he is not believed to be Cam's father.

She married her step brother who was no biological relation.

I just noticed in posts and later news that McCrery, according to her former employer, had picked up her check from work and told her boss that she was taking some time off due to her truck being broken down (or not working, whatever). So, that doesn't sound like she "lost" her job. It sounds like she had something planned. I wonder if she had planned to kill herself and the boy both, then didn't go through with killing herself. But why go to Maine, and why talk to people after the boy is dead and let on like everything is normal. This is just plain bizarre. I hope she does a lot of talking so we can get some insight into her thinking and into why this whole tragedy unfolded like it did. It doesn't appear that she tried very hard to get away or hide after she left her dead son in Maine.

this is total OMHO, but i think this too...but from what i was reading somewhere else they thought the other son had left port in maine, so maybe she tried to see him before she did it herself? and didnt find him and was caught afterward?

A couple of snips from this article:

"It was unclear what the Texas mom was doing in the Northeast, but friends said she was prone to sudden, far-flung trips. "She'd take off and do stuff like that," pal Christian von Atzigen told the Boston Herald. "She'd take off to Seattle or Tennessee. … That's just her personality."

An ex-boyfriend, Robert Miller, 49, also said that McCrery cared for Camden, but that she had battled drug addiction and tried to kill herself before the child was born.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...killing_son_camden_hughes_mystery_boy_fo.html

I am pretty sure the "mug shot" was from a previous arrest??? I think I read that caption under one of the images.

It was from 2005. Women frequently sell themselves to support their drug habits, formally or informally.
It's haunting nonetheless because she looks so devastated and lost, not the look you expect from someone that kills a child wantonly. I think Casey Anthony has become the poster child for sociopathic mothers. It's definitely not a "Ya, whatever" kind of look on that photo.

Yeah, you can see the swelling and bruising on his mouth in the photo. I think it was more than an overdose. Maybe she sedated and then smothered him.

Sweet little kid. I will never understand this kind of thing. You ask for help! You think of your child instead of yourself! You think of his right to live! You do whatever it takes to protect him. I don't get it.

Asphyxiation can be manual, as in choking/smothering, or from drug overdose, traumatic injury, low oxygen environment and a host of other things.

The fact they are waiting on toxicology could be telling or maybe not. Sometimes MEs don't release cause of death until all their info is there to say definitively what their opinion is. Could go either way and they certainly aren't giving out much info to get a more complete pic of what happened.

If this goes to trial and there is a plea of "I did it but it was an accident" vs the State claiming "She did it on purpose", you can see different ME expert opinions battling it out on the stand.

Accidental or not ... how dare she leave him on the side of the road. It breaks my heart.

Her former boyfriend Robert Miller - thought of 6 year old Camden as his own son.

Miller said, "he's in heaven with God now and he's never going to suffer again."

Yesterday, he saw pictures on the news of the little boy left dead on the side of a dirt road in Maine and he said, it felt like a knife through his gut.

"I knew right away that it was him. It looked almost exactly like him. I knew the shirt he was wearing. And they showed his shoes and I know she just bought those shoes for him. And I knew it was him right away."

http://www.necn.com/05/19/11/Who-is...ng_newengland.html?blockID=525382&feedID=4206

Why does the ME say he was suffocated but that her final determination is still pending?

I'd speculate the toxicology has not been returned yet. I'm sad/angry this happened to the poor boy but I'm glad it's getting resolved. Unsolved cases are driving me bonkers.

I just found the website of the woman who found Camden near her home. She is very religious and has an African missionary ministry. I know that Julianne's ex-bf mentioned that she had just found religion and that they attended church together. I wonder if Camden's placement was not random... maybe Julianne found this woman's website and related with her story? If she was fighting a mental illness, maybe she fixated on it for some reason? Just my own thoughts.

I know it might be totally out of left field. Just throwing it out there as it was an eerie feeling I got after reading LG's bio. Will be interesting if it turns out she has a computer and they do the computer forensics... As others have mentioned, maybe she met a man online? Or there are some other clues that will show what she was planning to do?

http://www.lindagove.org/gpage41.html

Just trying to cover myself a bit since I don't want to violate TOS by bringing in a peripheral person's name, but IMO this woman voluntarily put her name in the media and has offered to pay for Camden's services. She's been in MSM. I think it's wonderful that she's doing that for him, regardless of any personal opinions I might have after reading her bio...

http://www.wcsh6.com/news/article/159759/2/Couple-that-found-body-of-boy-speaks-at-vigil

Von Atzigen said Camden was a happy little boy, and he never heard McCrery even raise her voice to him.

"I never even saw her discipline him," he said. "He was just a great little boy, just fun, a good kid, smart as a whip."

Von Atzigen said he last saw McCrery on Easter, when she came to his house to get a part to fix her hot water heater. While she was there, she dropped off some of her son Camden's toys for his 2-year-old son, he said.

He said he doesn't know why McCrery was in Maine.
"My wife talked to her a couple of days ago and everything seemed OK," he said. "There was no mention of her going anywhere."

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2011/05/police_charge_texas_mother_jul.html

2009 New Hampshire Code
TITLE LXII — CRIMINAL CODE (Includes Chapters 625 - 651-E)
CHAPTER 630 — HOMICIDE
Section 630:1-b Second Degree Murder.

I. A person is guilty of murder in the second degree if:
(a) He knowingly causes the death of another; or
(b) He causes such death recklessly under circumstances manifesting an extreme indifference to the value of human life. Such recklessness and indifference are presumed if the actor causes the death by the use of a deadly weapon in the commission of, or in an attempt to commit, or in immediate flight after committing or attempting to commit any class A felony.
II. Murder in the second degree shall be punishable by imprisonment for life or for such term as the court may order.
Source. 1974, 34:2, eff. April 15, 1974.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rythmico
Back