GUILTY NV - Tammy Meyers, 44, fatally shot at her Las Vegas home, 12 Feb 2015 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm completely uneducated regarding guns/gun shot residue, etc...so forgive me if my questions are silly. Do you know how reliable GSR testing is? How long can that residue truly stay on someone (even if deceased)? Wouldn't moving the person, etc. compromise any of that?

I don't even know why he is asking for that at this juncture. Well yes, I do know why he wants to drop that out in the public. He is doing this as a power of suggestion move, imo.

After the body is examined/photographed the body is washed down in areas so the ME can get close shots of the head wound including photos and xrays. This murder wasn't done from a close range shot. She was shot with ENs .45 as he was in the vehicle. For there to even be gunshot residue on her wound he would have had to come out of the car and right up to her within 10 in-to 18 inches or less from the barrel when he fired. There is absolutely no evidence of that and at this time he doesn't know any more than we do. That is the only way TM would have stippling or any gunshot residue embedded in her wound.

The ME most likely will say the gunshot was a long range shot that killed her which means it would have no soot or residue in or around the wound.

What if he touched her hands? I am thinking of another case, where mother was walking her baby, baby was shot. Mother had GSR on her from transfer. Suspect still got convicted, but it gave defense something to argue about.

The prosecution isn't allowed to withhold potentially exculpatory evidence from the defense on the grounds that it will give the defense something to argue about.

oh wow! I hadn't seen that before. Two thoughts: 1) I don't think that is an Audi. If it is, it is a convertible A4, but those aren't very common and are usually "girl" cars. To me, this looks like a convertible 6-series BMW. The shape and lines of the body much more closely resemble a BMW. Who said it was an Audi? Where did that come from? If it came from the Meyers -- could they AGAIN be trying to mislead police?

2) I have NO doubt police know EXACTLY who owns this car. It has to be the second person they arrested (in the same Daily Mail link). They have EN's phone -- they know who he called or texted to pick him up from the park. It occurs to me that they just don't want the Meyers to know that they have this person in custody. But I have no doubt that they do, indeed, have him in custody.

Both are expensive vehicles if they are later models. Who in ENs circle would be able to afford a luxury car?

I did research on the defense attorney and there are a few YouTube videos of him as a "talking head" lawyer on CNN and Fox News on other cases. I do think he is a "showboater," probably is doing this case pro bono to make a name for himself, as other attorneys have done (Juan Martinez, Mark Gerragos [in the beginning]) etc. At the same time I think he is VERY smart and very eloquent. So although I think he is seeking to benefit personally by handling this case, he is probably a better attorney than EN would ordinarily get.

If Brandon moved the body, attempted CPR on her, etc, GSR could have been transferred onto her. It's just going to give defense ammunition without proving she fired an weapon.

Not true.

Both are expensive vehicles if they are later models. Who in ENs circle would be able to afford a luxury car?

Maybe his supplier? If EN was dealing drugs, there has to be someone higher up than EN, giving drugs to him to sell.

I will go back and delete my post.

I didn't know it would be so distressing to others that I don't find him attractive whatsoever.

IMO

Please don't delete your post. The majority of it was a very good post. You're entitled to your opinion on the appearance of the attorney, as well. I don't think it's worth anyone getting their knickers in a knot.

I've followed other cases/trials where folks commented on a defense attorney's appearance, and those who didn't care for the defense attorney cheered those opinions on. CA trial, JA trial, etc.

ETA: Oh dear, I didn't preview my post before submitting it, and there was a major typo. I didn't mean to type "do" - I meant to type "don't". Please see the bolded portion, Ocean. Please don't delete your post.

Really? I actually think he's handsome. And looks very strong and powerful. He's the exact type of criminal defense attorney I would want!

I find him quite handsome too in a giant, Mr. Clean, manly kind of way. I could go for him. (Don't tell Mr. Hiandmighty!!)

I don't even know why he is asking for that at this juncture. Well yes, I do know why he wants to drop that out in the public. He is doing this as a power of suggestion move, imo.

After the body is examined/photographed the body is washed down in areas so the ME can get close shots of the head wound including photos and xrays. This murder wasn't done from a close range shot. She was shot with ENs .45 as he was in the vehicle. For there to even be gunshot residue on her wound he would have had to come out of the car and right up to her within 10 in-to 18 inches or less from the barrel when he fired. There is absolutely no evidence of that and at this time he doesn't know any more than we do. That is the only way TM would have stippling or any gunshot residue embedded in her wound.

The ME most likely will say the gunshot was a long range shot that killed her which means it would have no soot or residue in or around the wound.

Thanks for this. Another question, with the thought that perhaps defense is questioning if Tammy had a gun...wouldn't that "potential" (NOT saying I think this) residue be long gone anyway?

This article seems to indicate the GSR and toxicology tests were already done, and the defense is merely trying to get the reports. Does everyone else interpret it that way too? Is there anything published that specifically says the defense is asking for tests to be done that haven't already been done?

Oh, for heaven's sake, you're right! Defense is asking for the GSR report. So the GSR test has already been done. And there's no urgency for the defense to get it now.

If I were one of the defense attorneys, of course I'd want all of those reports as soon as they're done, but that wouldn't mean that I'd be legally entitled to them at that point.

Okay, so the back-and-forth about the GSR test is much ado about nothing. The defense will get all the reports in due course.

My understanding that if she were in proximity to BM when shots were being fired (which she was, from what BM claims), she could have GSR residue on her from that. In addition, BM reportedly attempted CPR on her after she was shot.
So she could have transferred GSR on her. It wouldn't mean she shot the gun personally.
They can actually determine the difference between if someone was holding a gun when it was fired, simply nearby when one was fired, or has transferred residue from being touched by someone with residue.

Why would the prosecution object to this request?
If the GSR test was already done and he's merely objecting to the report being released to the defense, his motive is to make it more difficult for the defense to investigate and formulate their defense. Makes perfect sense to limit how soon the defense has access to information. The grand jury has the same purpose because the defense won't learn anything until discovery. The reality is the defense really only has a right to this information until the time of discovery if there isn't a preliminary hearing.

They can actually determine the difference between if someone was holding a gun when it was fired, simply nearby when one was fired, or has transferred residue from being touched by someone with residue.

From he cases I have been following, that is simply not true.

Oh, for heaven's sake, you're right! Defense is asking for the GSR report. So the GSR test has already been done. And there's no urgency for the defense to get it now.

If I were one of the defense attorneys, of course I'd want all of those reports as soon as they're done, but that wouldn't mean that I'd be legally entitled to them at that point.

Okay, so the back-and-forth about the GSR test is much ado about nothing. The defense will get all the reports in due course.

No, they want GSR test done.

"The lawyers also asked for an order for a coroner's office to allow a test on Tammy Meyers' body to determine if she or someone next to her fired a gun before she died."
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/defense-las-vegas-mom-killing-gunshot-residue-test-29247710

I'm thinking they may not have done a GSR test on Tammy, she was immediately transported to the hospital and was admitted for sometime prior to her death. Brandon had already told police he fired his gun. Defense attorney may just be trying to bring attention to the fact that it (might not) have been done, as a way of poking holes in forensic methodology when forensics are presented in this case.

I'm thinking they may not have done a GSR test on Tammy, she was immediately transported to the hospital and was admitted for sometime prior to her death. Brandon had already told police he fired his gun. Defense attorney may just be trying to bring attention to the fact that it (might not) have been done, as a way of poking holes in forensic methodology when forensics are presented in this case.

From the article above, they want to determine if she or anyone close to her fired a gun. We already know her son fired a gun and he was close to her. Even if GSR is found on her, it's not going to prove she fired a gun. And because she was in the hospital treated, it could be too late to find GSR on her body anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mili