OH Pike County: 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered Over Custody Issue, 4 Members Wagner Family Arrested#49

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Assume he's complaining about the delays in discovery, though AC has pointed out this process has been slowed down because defense attorneys keep bringing the wrong size/type hard drives to download the discovery files.

Just another delay tactic? Why is this even an issue are these firms completely oblivious to technology? I feel like this shouldn't be an issue with technology today.

Does anyone have the full interview FW did with the news today tysm

No, I missed it. Any idea what she had to say?

ETA: Here's a link. She must have spoken to the news media after the hearing

George Wagner trial postponed, grandmother stands by him

“George is innocent. My whole family is innocent. That’s all I have to say. It will all come out eventually,” Fredericka Wagner said after the hearing. “He’s lost a lot of weight. But he’s strong and he’s got a strong faith in God. So have I and so did Jacob. Our whole family and we just believe, I know Christ is with him. The boys are hanging on to Jesus and that’s what we’re going to keep on doing.”

The same old stuff she always says. She seldom varies in her news media persona. She really can't say much to defend her spawn because the evidence against them is solid, sordid and horrific. Killing innocent adults and children sleeping peacefully in bed, cradling their babies.

All of the talk of religion just makes what she is saying appear more doubtful.

She'll never be able to burnish their reputations, not that they had good ones before the murders.

Last edited:
Journal Entries for GW4:

1/7/19 Identification of Discovery filed
1/17/19 State's Supp Discovery filed
6/14/19 State's Supp Discovery filed
6/26/19 State's Supp Discovery filed

That's four, JMO

Plus Bill of Particulars 7/18/19

Do you want to see about getting copies from Pike County? Mittens has been away lately. She used to be able to get them. TIA

Just another delay tactic? Why is this even an issue are these firms completely oblivious to technology? I feel like this shouldn't be an issue with technology today.

JMO, the best I can figure it's a delaying tactic. Or defense attorneys are incompetent. Not sure. AC didn't say anything today, but in the last hearing she was a little impatient about it. IIRC, the judge brought it up and reminded the defense attorneys to bring the proper hard drives.

No, I missed it. Any idea what she had to say?

ETA: Here's a link. She must have spoken to the news media after the hearing

George Wagner trial postponed, grandmother stands by him

“George is innocent. My whole family is innocent. That’s all I have to say. It will all come out eventually,” Fredericka Wagner said after the hearing. “He’s lost a lot of weight. But he’s strong and he’s got a strong faith in God. So have I and so did Jacob. Our whole family and we just believe, I know Christ is with him. The boys are hanging on to Jesus and that’s what we’re going to keep on doing.”

The same old stuff she always says. She seldom varies in her news media persona. She really can't say much to defend her spawn because the evidence against them is solid, sordid and horrific. Killing innocent adults and children sleeping peacefully in bed, cradling their babies.

All of the talk of religion just makes what she is saying appear more doubtful.

She'll never be able to burnish their reputations, not that they had good ones before the murders.

Interesting, Fred said nothing about AW. Seems Fred and family might have thrown her under the bus.
IMO, risky move on their part, her testimony could be very compelling, but then again, a wife can't be made to testify against her spouse.....

IMO - It shouldn't be, but it is. There is a great difference in legal technology (often based on the law firms size) and records between both law firms and between different states.
JMO, MOO

Wagner IV’s jury trial delayed
Wagner IV’s jury trial delayed - Portsmouth Daily Times

web1_Wagner-IV-July-.jpg

Speaking for the defense, attorney Richard Nash said the biggest reason for his continuance request is the amount of discovery still on its way from the prosecution.

Judge Deering granted the request and continued his trial to an as yet undetermined date.
“That’s a great deal of material for defense to look at, I’m sure,” Deering said.

Wagner IV’s defense team has at least six outstanding pretrial motions on which Deering has not rendered a decision. Deering set an Aug. 31 deadline for the defense to present any further such motions and gave the state until Sept. 13 to respond.

Next up in the Rhoden trials is a pretrial for Rita Newcomb, slated for Thursday.
Newcomb is the first of the six suspects scheduled to go to a jury trial, with that date set as Oct. 21. At last month’s pretrial for Newcomb, Deering warned :confused: attorneys to expect her trial to begin on that date.

As predicted previously by the Portsmouth Daily Times, Newcomb’s trial could represent the first chance for the public and the media to get a real look at the evidence in the Rhoden cases.

Newcomb’s case eventually may be the key :eek: to the entire Rhoden murder mystery. Prosecutors said a custody battle is the reason behind the massacre. Newcomb’s forgery charge stems from her allegedly creating false custody documents.

Last edited:
I wonder if Canepa will dismiss charges on GW4 like she did FW?
She hadn’t waived speedy trial, they dismissed to prevent it from going to trial and being Lost. The new evidence, meaning the purchase dates vs the murder date of the bpv put a hamper on winning. So rather then let the case be lost the state sought to dismiss imo

He did waive speedy trial, so there is plenty of time. No dismissal will come

IIRC, that’s not the reason she dropped the charges. The receipt documents brought new information to light and there was not enough time to investigate without compromising her right to a speedy trial. The charges were dropped so a thorough investigation and, IMO, we will see these charges and possibly more in the near future. Prosecution has six years from May 2017 to recharge her. She’s not out of the woods yet.
I agree with every said here except I don’t think more charges are forthcoming soon. Moo

Thursday, July 25th:
*Final Pretrial Hearing (@ 1:30pm ET) - OH - Pike County 8 people dead: Christopher Rhoden, Sr. (40), his ex-wife, Dana Manley Rhoden (37), their three children, Clarence "Frankie" Rhoden (20), Christopher Jr. (16), Hanna Mae (19); Frankie's fiancée, Hannah Hazel Gilley (20), Christopher Rhoden Sr.'s brother, Kenneth Rhoden (44), & a cousin, Gary Rhoden (38). Hanna Rhoden's baby girl (5 days old), another baby (6 mos) and a young child (3) were unharmed. (April 21-22, 2016, Pebbles) – Only for *Rita Jo Newcomb (65) (Maternal grandmother) indicted (11/12/18), arrested (11/13/18), charged & arraigned (11/15/18) with 3 counts forgery, 1 count obstructing justice & 1 count perjury. Plead not guilty. $50K Surety bond.
Trial set to begin 10/21/19.
DA alleges Newcomb lied to the Grand Jury & forged custody papers before the murders.
To place her under electronic monitor/house arrest. RN gives her mother's address. Court sets monetary bond at $50,000, will permit cash surety or 10% deposit. Will be under electronically monitored house arrest at her mother’s in South Webster, Ohio. To be put into Pre-Trial Services program. Can leave for medical emergencies, lawyer appointments, medical appointments. Must clear everything with Pre-Trial Services officer. Must keep Pre-Trial Services officer advised of her current address. With exception of medications prescribed by licensed physician for her, not to consume alcohol or controlled substances.

Had Arraignment hearing on 11/15. 11/20/18: Posted bond, released from jail. Pretrial hearing set for 1/10. 1/10/19: Pretrial hearing on 3/28. 3/28/19 Update: Final pretrial on June 14. Her trial is scheduled for July 8 – 11.
6/14/19 Update: Defense Attorneys file motion to continue trial to Oct 21, as long as speedy trial time is protected. RN waived it. Court will grant the new trial date if there's a written motion for time waiver received by them. Parties arranged to meet with each other to go over discovery. State will respond to a written request. June 10 supplemental request for discovery. State will furnish additional discovery or will respond by July 15. Will continue to July 25 @ 1:30pm will be final pre-trial hearing. If they haven't received what they want, they will have a motion hearing the same day as trial.
*George Washington Wagner III – Motions hearing on 9/17.
*Angela Jo Wagner – Discovery hearing 9/16.
*George Washington Wagner IV - Next motions hearing on 9/20 ?.
*Edward Jacob "Jake" Wagner - Last pretrial hearing on 9/17.
*Fredericka Carol Wagner – 6/26/19 Charges dismissed without prejudice.

yes, I'll be shortening this up a bit. :)

That no
IIRC, that’s not the reason she dropped the charges. The receipt documents brought new information to light and there was not enough time to investigate without compromising her right to a speedy trial. The charges were dropped so a thorough investigation and, IMO, we will see these charges and possibly more in the near future. Prosecution has six years from May 2017 to recharge her. She’s not out of the woods yet.
The message I wanted to bring across was one of the reasons AC for dropping charges on FW was not to let incriminating evidence out on JW,BW and AW I really think those 3 are the big fish, but don’t get me wrong GW4 is just as guilty as is FW, but it kills me to think that FW with her smirk video she made trying to push her weight around of how dare you even think my family did this, if all you sleuthers notice her other son doesn’t show up at any of the 4 Wagners trials, I really don’t think that FW will live 6 more years to see if justice will served, JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bwitzke