UNSOLVED Oh - Pike County: 8 People From One Family Dead As Police Hunt For Killer(s) #33

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Raisenback for your post. I agree with your comment that,"The AG went for the hyperbole 'laser focus' when referring to the W's and he concluded with a no holds barred public plea 'to please come forward with info on the sale of any guns,cars or ammo to the W's'?

Betty my following post is really a complex theory based my knowledge of communities in the 'Bible Belt'. I have attended many church services in revival tents back home. I have sat and listened to moma and papas neighbors playing fiddles on their front poarch and singing gospel hymns into the night. I have no personal knowledge of the W's church but I think I have an idea of it's biblical interpretations.

I will paraphrase LM's early statement that 'the execution style murders' of his daughters extended family very likely was over a contentious child custody case.

Whoever swiftly slaughtered the Rhoden Family had years of conducting skilled precision nighttime hunts.I believe upthread rsd1200 mentioned that JW's family were experienced wild boar hunters.

I sincerely believe there were members in the W's church and likely several family members who had an obsession of rescuing SW from people they deemed 'morality unfit'. I know how 'absurd' that is but I think these people are fanciful and quite capable of this type of bloody crusade of pursuing 'good'vs 'evil'.

If it is the W's as I suspect they would find honor and make any sacrifice to rescue SW from people who they deemed as having a negative influences on her. I think the W's felt they had exhausted every channel and were running out of options. I think the W's were over extended paying legal fees & HR would not relent & do their bidding. So they felt justified in the monstrous act of slaughtering the Rhoden Family.

Why was KR murdered? He could have been a wild card therefore a possible danger or threat to saving SW so he became another casualty.

I agree with Betty P,MittenScarpitta and rsd1200 it is likely both families were involved in some type of business dealing & derbies. I have been working on another aspect of JW's involvement but have yet to find the broken links I need to finish my post.

This is my opinion please critique but be kind.
The reasons why people kill are infinite, and most are illogical and a lot of times bizarre . Although I do believe there’s reason to believe religion plays a heavy roll , I dont believe the church is involved imo . Like raisinback mentioned I think it was the driving force behind the decision to take action .
I dont know how to get around this so I am going to go hypothetical . Lol
Let’s say there’s a argument between two men , and one man shames and disgraces the other to the point of total humiliation , then the man humiliated then threatens to go back and kill the whole family .
Most times these are idle threats . Unless this person is narcissistic . When you have a narcissistic injury to a narcissist then its a whole new ball game - look out somethings going to happen .
In this scenario lets say this was done in front of family, your peers , the community, your wife knows about it . In short everyone knows .
That’s a hard pill for me to swallow . To a narcissist nearly impossible . In his mind this MUST be made right .
Add this to a mounting problem of child custody issues and you have a time bomb waiting to happen .
There might have been other business reason to boot , but I dont think that would be necessary to flip this someone’s switch .
Add in DR buying a nice house would be further humiliations to someone who couldn’t buy there own , and completely closes the deal for any further negotiations in child custody .

This man goes home and convinces everyone that this deed must be done , and for some god awful reason they agree .

Again this is all hypothetical and just my musings as to what could be .

It sure sounds like it was more than a few weeks that GR spent with CRsr. But that said, it could have been on and off. He could have been back to Greenup for a weekend or more several times during that time without his family knowing especially if it was drugs he was there to get. I don't think he can be completely ruled out as a cause for these murders....

I think GR may have drifted back and forth across the state line at times, but, the trailer may have been his primary roof over his head, at the time. In looking at it from the what they all have in common, I see Greenup, and/or BBL. There's some interesting things that kinda stand out when you take a hard look at the Greenup bust. I'm not really buying the staying at CR1's to get clean, story, either, but maybe I'm just jaded.

Is AG DeWine really smart enough to do all that just to make sure the killers do not get off scotfree?
First,every single contribution to the thread I read and put in my cashe of notes. I use your ideas to crochet my potential future theories. Thanks to each of you for posting! I never come away empty handed after reading the thread everyday.

I have sensed the AG was playing a high stakes 'cat and mouse' game with witnesses and people he suspected were not forthcoming. So to answer your question,yes I think he has help from profilers but indeed he is playing a game of chess with his opponents. :cool:

My Opinion Only

I think GR may have drifted back and forth across the state line at times, but, the trailer may have been his primary roof over his head, at the time. In looking at it from the what they all have in common, I see Greenup, and/or BBL. There's some interesting things that kinda stand out when you take a hard look at the Greenup bust. I'm not really buying the staying at CR1's to get clean, story, either, but maybe I'm just jaded.

I don’t quite buy the whole staying at CR1’s to get clean either. Getting clean off of heroin or meth isn’t something easily accomplished at a relatives house. Not only are the withdrawals brutal physically , but there’s also the psychological aspect which is probably just as bad. I’ve never battled addiction, but sadly I know many who have. No one I’ve ever known or even known of has gotten clean by going to a relatives home 45 minutes away in a town that has easy accessibility to dope. One doesn’t get clean and stay clean by moving less than an hour away where they still have their connections nor do they get clean and stay clean without a program, sponsor, and support from various resources.

I'm new to this case and very intrigued. Is there a "cliff notes" version anywhere? I found a link to a case notes post/thread, but it just take me to thread #3.
Media & Timeline NO DISCUSSION - Pike Co, OH 8 Family Members Murdered

The timeline has all the basics, maps, locations, almost every article there is. The bulk of the business ownerships discovered and land ownership info is gonna be in the threads. I can look later and let you know what specific thread that starts in. Hope this helps! :)

Media & Timeline NO DISCUSSION - Pike Co, OH 8 Family Members Murdered

The timeline has all the basics, maps, locations, almost every article there is. The bulk of the business ownerships discovered and land ownership info is gonna be in the threads. I can look later and let you know what specific thread that starts in. Hope this helps! :)
Thanks! I will start there. I remember it happening but don't think I was an active member of WS then, so didn't really follow the case from the beginning.

Even if we take the $30k out to the question, it appeared there was money to go to car auctions, why wasn’t there funds to fix the roofs?
The reasons why people kill are infinite, and most are illogical and a lot of times bizarre . Although I do believe there’s reason to believe religion plays a heavy roll , I dont believe the church is involved imo . Like raisinback mentioned I think it was the driving force behind the decision to take action .
I dont know how to get around this so I am going to go hypothetical . Lol
Let’s say there’s a argument between two men , and one man shames and disgraces the other to the point of total humiliation , then the man humiliated then threatens to go back and kill the whole family .
Most times these are idle threats . Unless this person is narcissistic . When you have a narcissistic injury to a narcissist then its a whole new ball game - look out somethings going to happen .
In this scenario lets say this was done in front of family, your peers , the community, your wife knows about it . In short everyone knows .
That’s a hard pill for me to swallow . To a narcissist nearly impossible . In his mind this MUST be made right .
Add this to a mounting problem of child custody issues and you have a time bomb waiting to happen .
There might have been other business reason to boot , but I dont think that would be necessary to flip this someone’s switch .
Add in DR buying a nice house would be further humiliations to someone who couldn’t buy there own , and completely closes the deal for any further negotiations in child custody .

This man goes home and convinces everyone that this deed must be done , and for some god awful reason they agree .

Again this is all hypothetical and just my musings as to what could be .
I also believe religion and narcissism play a big part in this. My own thoughts are that very strong judgement was passed on HMR when she became pregnant with her second child. I can also see there may have been fights between the grandparents of SR as well. I also think much of the legal expense incurred for custody of SR happened before the murders. JMO

ETA: From what I've read about this church, women are judged very harshly if they become pregnant out-of-wedlock. It may have been "ok" if it was JW's baby, but the second child was not his and I think he knew that all along. I think HMR was way over JW and he knew she was never going to marry him and become part of the "flock". She wasn't going along with the program and I think her parents were very supportive of her, which probably provoked some anger as this made it much more difficult, if not impossible for the W's to get full possession of SR.

JMO

Last edited:
The Sheriff’s most recent public share/address to the people of Pike County.

What a mess it is there. This man carries a heavy load on his back every single moment. While this doesn’t appear to be relevant to this case, it’s puts into perspective why people haven’t been honest in interviews, why there’s a lack of cooperation with LE within the community and what LE is continuously dealing with on top of the murder investigation.

Charlie Reader

Thanks for your link. I am not registered with FB so the video clip would not play.

You are absolutely correct Reader carries a heavy load on his back every single moment.

But fortunately I found this:
Busy 48 Hours of Investigations
Pike County Sheriff Charlie Reader is reporting on his Facebook site that they have been investigating multiple incidents since Sunday morning, that include the discovery of a female body in a wooded area. The sheriff alluded to the discovery in a Facebook video that lasted a few minutes, but gave few details about the body found or what appeared to be a separate incident that involved an "ax attack" that took place with the assailant still being sought.

A third incident mentioned in Reader's social media video, talked about a drug raid at what appeared to be a Pike County mobile home park, where three children were residing. Reader says three adults were arrested with charges including Child Endangering and Trafficking in Drugs.

iHeart Media News has been in contact with the Pike County Sheriff's Office in an attempt to gather information on these incidents.
Pike Sheriff Recounts "Busy 48 Hours" of Investigations | 94 Country WKKJ

What a mess it is there. This man carries a heavy load on his back every single moment. While this doesn’t appear to be relevant to this case, it’s puts into perspective why people haven’t been honest in interviews, why there’s a lack of cooperation with LE within the community and what LE is continuously dealing with on top of the murder investigation.

Charlie Reader

Thanks for your link. I am not registered with FB so the video clip would not play.

You are absolutely correct Reader carries a heavy load on his back every single moment.

Pike County Sheriff Charlie Reader is reporting on his Facebook site that they have been investigating multiple incidents since Sunday morning, that include the discovery of a female body in a wooded area. The sheriff alluded to the discovery in a Facebook video that lasted a few minutes, but gave few details about the body found or what appeared to be a separate incident that involved an "ax attack" that took place with the assailant still being sought.

A third incident mentioned in Reader's social media video, talked about a drug raid at what appeared to be a Pike County mobile home park, where three children were residing. Reader says three adults were arrested with charges including Child Endangering and Trafficking in Drugs.

iHeart Media News has been in contact with the Pike County Sheriff's Office in an attempt to gather information on these incidents.
I dont know how it works with a public video on fb if you’re not registered. There used to be a way to still view public videos if you weren’t registered...I’ll have to see if there’s still a way to get around that. Thank you for finding the article! In the video he’s actually inside the mobile home mentioned in the article and he shows ICE on the table, syringes, and the deplorable living conditions these poor kiddos were living in.

What a mess it is there. This man carries a heavy load on his back every single moment. While this doesn’t appear to be relevant to this case, it’s puts into perspective why people haven’t been honest in interviews, why there’s a lack of cooperation with LE within the community and what LE is continuously dealing with on top of the murder investigation

Charlie Reader

Yes, Pike County is facing the same problems most other counties, rural & urban, are facing. The US is becoming a third world nation.

Local governments really struggle in Ohio. The many tax cuts and budget cuts the state has made over the last 20 yrs or so have hurt local government the hardest. I'm sure Sheriff Reader has discussed with AG DeWine the problems his county LE faces. Pike County's state rep (Rosenberger) is under investigation by the FBI so there's probably not much he can do. No one is listening to local governments, just always asking them to "do more with less".

I'm not sure what you were asking for regarding the need for local people to snitch on each other. It appears they're doing that already, hence the arrests Reader and OSP are making in the video above. As for the drug epidemic, it's everywhere . Sadly, there's still a need for more money, resources and LE personnel to deal with it. Reader and the citizens in his community need to have a conversation with DeWine, Rob Portman, etc.

JMO, the locals have probably already told Reader, et al everything they know about the Rhoden murders. The only thing left is to file charges, and DeWine wants to get the weapons before doing that. The only people who know where those weapons are, most likely, are the killers.

ETA: Here's a link to the DEA's 2017 National Threat Assessment report

https://www.dea.gov/docs/DIR-040-17_2017-NDTA.pdf

I'm probably the only nerd here who has read it, but it gives a good idea of which drugs are moving into southeast Ohio, who is moving them and where they're coming from. Local LE can only do their best to clean up the resulting mess, but it must be very difficult to stop new suppliers from bringing drugs to town, but they should be relying heavily on the FBI, DEA and DHS to lead that effort.

Last edited:
Thanks! I will start there. I remember it happening but don't think I was an active member of WS then, so didn't really follow the case from the beginning.

Welcome!

:)

The first few pages of the Media & Timelines thread are very helpful to catch up. The public doesn't have a lot to work with, but we're doing the best we can!

Yes, Pike County is facing the same problems most other counties, rural & urban, are facing. The US is becoming a third world nation.

Local governments really struggle in Ohio. The many tax cuts and budget cuts the state has made over the last 20 yrs or so have hurt local government the hardest. I'm sure Sheriff Reader has discussed with AG DeWine the problems his county LE faces. Pike County's state rep (Rosenberger) is under investigation by the FBI so there's probably not much he can do. No one is listening to local governments, just always asking them to "do more with less".

I'm not sure what you were asking for regarding the need for local people to snitch on each other. It appears they're doing that already, hence the arrests Reader and OSP are making in the video above. As for the drug epidemic, it's everywhere . Sadly, there's still a need for more money, resources and LE personnel to deal with it. Reader and the citizens in his community need to have a conversation with DeWine, Rob Portman, etc.

JMO, the locals have probably already told Reader, et al everything they know about the Rhoden murders. The only thing left is to file charges, and DeWine wants to get the weapons before doing that. The only people who know where those weapons are, most likely, are the killers.

ETA: Here's a link to the DEA's 2017 National Threat Assessment report

https://www.dea.gov/docs/DIR-040-17_2017-NDTA.pdf

I'm probably the only nerd here who has read it, but it gives a good idea of which drugs are moving into southeast Ohio, who is moving them and where they're coming from. Local LE can only do their best to clean up the resulting mess, but it must be very difficult to stop new suppliers from bringing drugs to town, but they should be relying heavily on the FBI, DEA and DHS to lead that effort.
Respectfully, I wasn’t asking for anything in regards to local people snitching on each other. That’s actually not what I wrote at all. Reader has stated more than once that people have not cooperated with this investigation and he’s certain that people have not been 100% honest in their interviews. Looking at his most recent share, that man has nothing short of a mess on his hands and IMO, I can see why he’s had problems with people cooperating with the investigation of these murders.

Yes, there are drugs problems and crime nationwide and that’s well known to anyone who is aware of the reality we live in IMO. However the population in entirety within Pike county is not very large at all. The amount of arrests and crime occurring in one little county in southern Ohio speaks volumes for what is going on there. To put it into perspective, the town I live in is comparable to all of Pike Co population wise. My town is also very close to two large well known cities and sits along a main drug corridor well known to many who follow this thread. I’ve yet to see here what is going on there (thankfully). I wish I could say I’m biased, but I’m also extremely familiar with several areas similar and relatively close to Pike Co that don’t seem to be experiencing the large scale arrests like this one area is. All JMO and my own observations. IMO, somethings going on there and I feel bad for all of those affected. Reader has his hands full.

Last edited:
I don’t quite buy the whole staying at CR1’s to get clean either. Getting clean off of heroin or meth isn’t something easily accomplished at a relatives house. Not only are the withdrawals brutal physically , but there’s also the psychological aspect which is probably just as bad. I’ve never battled addiction, but sadly I know many who have. No one I’ve ever known or even known of has gotten clean by going to a relatives home 45 minutes away in a town that has easy accessibility to dope. One doesn’t get clean and stay clean by moving less than an hour away where they still have their connections nor do they get clean and stay clean without a program, sponsor, and support from various resources.

It can be done. Some say cold turkey is the best way to come off of opiates because you'll remember how it felt.

Coming down off of Meth/ice is not pleasant. Folks have a feeling of extreme fatigue, heavy depression, and some other unpleasant side effects, but folks don't normally die from meth withdrawal. It's different than the withdrawal that Heroin users experience. Opiate users by far have the worst detox, and, along with alcoholics, can die from self detoxing.

An addict, can't hardly hang out with other addicts. We have been told the the R's were into a weed op, their customers would most likely be from various backgrounds of drug sales/use, not just weed. If GR was around the drug trade, he'd have a very difficult time staying clean, imo. He had been, from reports, a needle user, and was arrested for shooting up Valium, in a parking lot, with his step-dad. Not implying that GR had a Heroin problem but, Valium is a cheap alternative for Heroin users.

Hypothetically speaking and IMO this quote is referring to a direct relative of the victims in this case.

“Pike County Sheriff Charlie Reader is reporting on his Facebook site that they have been investigating multiple incidents since Sunday morning, that include the discovery of a female body in a wooded area”

Edited because I don’t want to get in trouble so the best way I can explain this is to view this public obituary and take note of any immediate surviving closest relatives. The name is one often used in a very common poem.
Obituary for William Roger "Denny" Rhoden at Thompson Funeral Home

Last edited:
Hypothetically speaking and IMO this quote is referring to a direct relative of the victims in this case.

“Pike County Sheriff Charlie Reader is reporting on his Facebook site that they have been investigating multiple incidents since Sunday morning, that include the discovery of a female body in a wooded area”

Edited because I don’t want to get in trouble so the best way I can explain this is to view this public obituary and take note of any immediate surviving closest relatives. The name is one often used in a very common poem.

Is there a link to a news article with the name of the female found in a wooded area?

There may have been two Rhoden deaths then. I've read that the woman found shot to death in a woods was a Rhoden.

Respectfully, I wasn’t asking for anything in regards to local people snitching on each other. That’s actually not what I wrote at all. Reader has stated more than once that people have not cooperated with this investigation and he’s certain that people have not been 100% honest in their interviews. Looking at his most recent share, that man has nothing short of a mess on his hands and IMO, I can see why he’s had problems with people cooperating with the investigation of these murders.

Yes, there are drugs problems and crime nationwide and that’s well known to anyone who is aware of the reality we live in IMO. However the population in entirety within Pike county is not very large at all. The amount of arrests and crime occurring in one little county in southern Ohio speaks volumes for what is going on there. To put it into perspective, the town I live in is comparable to all of Pike Co population wise. My town is also very close to two large well known cities and sits along a main drug corridor well known to many who follow this thread. I’ve yet to see here what is going on there (thankfully). I wish I could say I’m biased, but I’m also extremely familiar with several areas similar and relatively close to Pike Co that don’t seem to be experiencing the large scale arrests like this one area is. All JMO and my own observations. IMO, somethings going on there and I feel bad for all of those affected. Reader has his hands full.

Prosecutor Junk gave the latest news on the case, saying they know who committed the murders, that all they're now looking for is additional evidence to secure a guilty verdict.

Most here assume they're referring to the murder weapons.

Reader chose not to say anything about the case on its second anniversary other than his office was continuing to investigate. I'm sure they would like it if some locals were able to volunteer any information about the location of the murder weapons. That doesn't mean they believe that half the people in the county are out there shooting up heroin, cooking meth and having a laugh that they know where the weapons are.

Expert opinion on this case from DeWine to the FBI to the DEA have said the killers were professionals. Chances are very unlikely they divulged the location of the abandoned murder weapons to any of the locals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kellieshoes