Poll for the Armchair Psychologists

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

What Psychological Disorder do you think Jodi may have?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by molly333
That's all normal adolescent behavior. Did she spend any time in prison before the age of 27? Nope. Did she show the full spectrum of behaviors in Hare's list in a consistent way? Nope.

According to Daryl, she didn't show one symptom over the four years she was with him.

IMO

Originally posted by Beaglemania
These are not normal adolescent behaviors. Daryl Brewer is not a clinician. I would liken him to more of a "broken individual" who fell hard and fast in love with a manipulative, self-absorbed harlett. In otherwords he was p-whipped.

I was jumping off your post, Beaglemania, about Darryl being "p-whipped" and Jodi being a sexually promiscuous woman (a "harlot"), to make a point that when we are discussing potential diagnoses for Arias, we should really try to avoid sexist double-standards and stereotypes. Because our own prejudices, about what is normal behaviour for men and women, may colour our perceptions of mental illnesses and disorders.

Sorry that I wasn't clear.

There was no sexist-double standards implied or otherwise in my post. It could have easily applied conversely to a female falling "hard and fast in love etc". I didn't say anything about Jodi's promiscuity or other sexual behavior at all. If you gleaned some sort of sexist undertone in my post, then I can only assume that it is your personal bias coming through. I hope this is crystal clear.

Books in reference to the types of books Jodi read?

Or that when she had a car full of books when she was trying to flee town when the cops arrested her?

Not sure which books they were. I'm sure they cover many different subjects.

Also, have you ever seen her myspace blog entry called "Inspiration Anyone" in which she quotes famous historic people? Notice how she throws quotes from Chris Hughes, Travis Alexander, and Matt McCartney in there - and she throws no random quotes in there by females she knows.

What do you make of this? http://m.myspace.com/home.wap?bfd=webnext&isredirected=true#friends.list/blogs/112614781/216516740

I heard she studied Travis' MySpace and put the same favorite authors to make him think she was perfect for him. Did you notice Travis' sweet comment at the bottom? Its eerie how both of their Myspace pages are still up and all of Travis' sweet comments are there. Her postings are all over his myspace, too. She sent lots of "animated peaceful new agey nature images". No words, which seems so unlike her. Maybe she felt too empty to think of something to say.

Linda I think Gecko was talking to me. I'm a INFP.
you say you are 'closed off'?
yet you scored as an extrovert?

I meant "closed off" as it pertains to Jodi and my opinions of her.

I'm not open to autism, battered woman, PTSD, Anixiety, depression, multiple personalities, disassociative identity, low self esteem, or victim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Linda I think Gecko was talking to me. I'm a INFP.
you say you are 'closed off'?
yet you scored as an extrovert?

Is the purpose or goal to become more "balanced"?

If so... It seems I have one area I REALLY need to work on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Jodi got off on being able to lead these good Mormon boys astray. It made her feel irresistible to be the one thing that took them off their moral paths. It probably did make her feel powerful, even though we have since learned that Travis had had sex before Jodi.

I think the debasing/pigtail/schoolgirl/being tied up/rape fantasy aren't actually her true fantasies but another way to make her irresistible. She probably thought that men finds these sorts of submissive behaviors sexy and that she was so willing and sexually eager made her different from any other woman. It made her feel special and alluring. From the sex tape and the texts, it sounded like Travis was catering to Jodi's whims instead of the other way around. Jodi says these things originated with him, but she is the one asking for generous facials, and asking to be spanked like a schoolgirl. She is the one that offers to find a tree for Travis. We never really hear Travis ask for these things, but we do see and hear him talk about them in an effort to arouse Jodi, to which she responds enthusiastically. Not that Travis didn't enjoy their sex play and play into it, but I just get this strong feeling that Jodi was the aggressor and introduced these fantasies into the relationship and Travis couldn't resist and started to pick up on the fantasy as well, which is only natural.

Exactly! You took the words right out of my mouth! Or the thought ls out of my head.... Whatever it is considered, yeah! You said it right!!!

It's all new to me, I'm finding it very interesting....

I don't understand the difference between "sensing verses intuition" or the theory.
By "sensing" Jung actually meant empirical facts (not the way we would word it today). Intuition is grasping the whole picture at once -- in any sense, it is an epistemological question--HOW do we take in knowledge....

Poor, contrite Jodi! Now she says slaughtering Travis was a "mistake." But, hey, we all make mistakes, don't we? Especially if they land us in prison for life or the death chamber. But she can be such an enrichment to other women if she gets life in prison. She can do good deeds. She can feel good about herself! Her extreme narcissism knows no bounds.

What makes her so creepy to me and others is her emotional detachment. She cannot connect to others in a normal, emotional way. She may say the right words, but it's like hearing them from a robot. An empty robot. And it's hard to feel compassion for robots.

Now, I can really understand how someone like Travis could be fooled by her for so long. She said the right words and did the right things for the most part. But some of his friends quickly saw how "unreal" she really way. How creepy she acted. How she only existed in what I call "the Jodi universe".

However, I am still puzzled how someone who is so emotionally detached from others could have the emotion of rage so strong it would move her to commit such a horrible crime as she did to Travis.

Apparently, rage and jealousy are her only "real" emotions.

Well said! I love what you brought up specifically at the end. Rage and jealousy and maybe lust - all "feelings" that even beasts of burden that lack social/moral consciousness can experience.

Because Rage, Jealousy, and Anger are all instinctual - they are not emotions, but natural biological impulses used to defend/assuage our ego.

The 3 aren't feelings, but rather selfish nature based reactions toward threat/praise of their ego/person.

I heard she studied Travis' MySpace and put the same favorite authors to make him think she was perfect for him. Did you notice Travis' sweet comment at the bottom? Its eerie how both of their Myspace pages are still up and all of Travis' sweet comments are there. Her postings are all over his myspace, too. She sent lots of "animated peaceful new agey nature images". No words, which seems so unlike her. Maybe she felt too empty to think of something to say.

This makes complete sense now as the number one way of knowing your being baited by a narcissist is they agree and like all the same things you do... To an exaggerated extent. Everything you like, they say "OMG me too!". At first it seems a match made in heaven, and then the narcissists mask starts to crack and you realize they faked their interests/personality just to get your trust/affection.

Sure, sometimes things are meant to be and you have a lot in common with Someone.

But narcissists... They study their prospective partner and parrot the person in the hopes of becoming closer to them.

So This proves that Jodi is a narcissist whos sociopathy makes her highly functional with her alter egos/masks she createst attract each person.

This is the perfect example, what you revealed in your quote above, of her being able to chameleon (sociopath) to get attention from her interest (narcissist)

Ah! Thank you! Illumination!

Molly, I really do see what you're seeing--possible Asperger's traits. It crossed my mind a few days after she took the stand. Her precision with words (despite the odd mistake or two) and her hyper-lexia, flat-affect, etc. I find her rather phlegmatic, rather than dramatic (though people seem to "see" all kind of drama in the court room, I don't). And, though Borderline Personality is in the dramatic cluster, I can't see why she couldn't have both high-functioning autistic and borderline traits. Borderline is marked by extreme, unmanaged emotional pain, and Asperger's is known for creating all kinds of secondary disorders (like depression and social anxiety), due to being consistently rejected and invalidated by family and peers.

She is not of flat affect all the time. In fact, when she has the attention on her she often smiles. Also, facial mannerisms can be controlled also via the impulsive mind (rage,lust,jealousy,placidity) and not emotional mind.

Notice she made a point to not smile in the courtroom (although she could barely hold it in when making her statement yesterday...), but in the interviews she did last night on TV she was positive giddy and smiling... And smiling does not even denote positive emotion bc smiling is direct related to aggression in the brain.

Think of how a dog shows its teeth when trying to intimidate another dog. Monkeys do this as well.

It's not like when she talked about the pain she did to Travis's family she smiled. Sure she tried to hold back her smile bc she UNDErSToOD it was inappropriate. You notice she does smile at appropriate times during her statement when referring to her happy memories. Her face show sadness when she talks about not being able to see her sister get married. But I'm hoping we all noticed as she was moving through her emotions, she would suddenly stop the emotion to add a fact and then carry on with the emotion.

When one is emotional, they do not have that break in emotion to address a thought only to resume emotion again.

She's aware what emotions are appropriated to which mannerisms as evident in her "acting" Or "mimicking" what she knows would be socially proper - something autistic people are not capable of!

So far we know of the many masks of Jodi in order from most recent to last.

The Nerdy Abuse "Victim"
The Wannabe Mormon Madonna
The blonde bombshell and trophy/stepford wife
The little sexualized bad girl with pigtails
The sexy "bubbly" promo girl for a car company
The Artist and Legend in her own mind

By "sensing" Jung actually meant empirical facts (not the way we would word it today). Intuition is grasping the whole picture at once -- in any sense, it is an epistemological question--HOW do we take in knowledge....

If I am understanding correctly all it is ...basically...how do we take in knowledge, as you've stated above.

What I don't understand is the value goal or purpose?

Like I said, I know all about Hare.

But, Jodi scored very low on psychopath personality disorder on the tests she took, so that is pretty much ruled out for me.

Also, like the clinical psychiatrist in the article said she did not manifest these types of symptoms until recently, and this disorder shows up consistently from early adolescence and before--probably because it has to do with the faulty structure of the brain.

You know, things like burning things down, killing animals, bed wetting, and an array of other symptoms.

IMO

How does that clinical psychiatrist know anything about JA's behavior in childhood? What are his sources?

In other words, he does not know if JA burnt things down, killed animals (Ibelieve she did, the family dog being one of them), wet her bed etc.

JA is a psychopath.

This makes complete sense now as the number one way of knowing your being baited by a narcissist is they agree and like all the same things you do... To an exaggerated extent. Everything you like, they say "OMG me too!". At first it seems a match made in heaven, and then the narcissists mask starts to crack and you realize they faked their interests/personality just to get your trust/affection.

Sure, sometimes things are meant to be and you have a lot in common with Someone.

But narcissists... They study their prospective partner and parrot the person in the hopes of becoming closer to them.

So This proves that Jodi is a narcissist whos sociopathy makes her highly functional with her alter egos/masks she createst attract each person.

This is the perfect example, what you revealed in your quote above, of her being able to chameleon (sociopath) to get attention from her interest (narcissist)

Ah! Thank you! Illumination!

I've heard some people describe BPD as the feminine version (so to speak) of Narcissistic Personality Disorder. Interesting, eh?!

I've heard some people describe BPD as the feminine version (so to speak) of Narcissistic Personality Disorder. Interesting, eh?!

Histrionic PD is the actual feminine version of narcissistic PD. it is a specific type of borderline disorder, the subtype indicating a Narcissistic or Histrionic like borderline PD

Symptoms of Histrionic PD

Be uncomfortable unless he or she is the center of attention
Dress provocatively and/or exhibit inappropriately seductive or flirtatious behavior
Shift emotions rapidly
Act very dramatically, as though performing before an audience, with exaggerated emotions and expressions, yet appears to lack sincerity
Be overly concerned with physical appearance
Constantly seek reassurance or approval
Be gullible and easily influenced by others
Be excessively sensitive to criticism or disapproval
Have a low tolerance for frustration and be easily bored by routine, often beginning projects without finishing them or skipping from one event to another
Not think before acting
Make rash decisions
Be self-centered and rarely show concern for others
Have difficulty maintaining relationships, often seeming fake or shallow in their dealings with others
Threaten or attempt suicide to get attention

Histrionic PD is the actual feminine version of narcissistic PD. it is a specific type of borderline disorder, the subtype indicating a Narcissistic or Histrionic like borderline PD

BBM: I respectfully disagree. There's a lot of articles about BPD being the feminine version of NPD (so to speak) if you want to google it.

Contrast with your HPD----> rage is not a strong symptom of HPD and surely JA has rage issues (as well as many other symptoms). She is profoundly a classic BPD but I'd say comorbidity exists in JA with some secondary PD's and a possible r/o Dissociative Disorder too.

Add these two names to your list:
1) V65.2 Malingering
Wiki says: In medicine, malingering is fabricating or exaggerating the symptoms of mental or physical disorders for a variety of "secondary gain" motives, which may include financial compensation (often tied to fraud); avoiding school, work or military service; obtaining drugs; getting lighter criminal sentences; or simply to attract attention or sympathy.

Malingering - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2) Schizoid Personality Disorder or Secret Schizoid
People with SPD are often aloof, cold and indifferent, which causes interpersonal difficulty. Most individuals diagnosed with SPD have trouble establishing personal relationships or expressing their feelings in a meaningful way. They may remain passive in the face of unfavorable situations. Their communication with other people may be indifferent and concise at times. Because of their lack of meaningful communication with other people, those who are diagnosed with SPD are not able to develop accurate images of how well they get along with others.[10]

Schizoid personality disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BBM: I respectfully disagree. There's a lot of articles about BPD being the feminine version of NPD (so to speak) if you want to google it.

Contrast with your HPD----> rage is not a strong symptom of HPD and surely JA has rage issues (as well as many other symptoms). She is profoundly a classic BPD but I'd say comorbidity exists in JA with some secondary PD's and a possible r/o Dissociative Disorder too.

Histrionics have Rage! Where did you read that they don't?

And trust me I am diagnosed borderline so I would know the difference.

Again histrionic PD is many times confused with borderline PD (they are right next to eachother on the B cluster)

and many psychs are beginning to believe that HPD and BPD are manifested from the same dysfunction - and that HPD is just the more Narcissistic form.

Histrionic personality involves conspicuous attention seeking. (MIL + BIL)

Affected people are also overly conscious of appearance and are dramatic. (MIL + BIL)

Their expression of emotions often seems exaggerated, childish, and superficial.* (MIL + BIL)

Still, they frequently evoke sympathetic or erotic attention from others.* (MIL + BIL)

Relationships are often easily established and overly sexualized but tend to be superficial and transient.*
Behind their seductive behaviors and their tendency to exaggerate somatic problems (ie, hypochondriasis [see Table 1: Personality Disorders: Coping Mechanisms]) often lie more basic wishes for dependency and protection.* (BIL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlanta_2_Philly