SC - Nine killed in Emanuel AME Church shooting, Charleston; Dylann Roof charged #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...ston-church-shooting-suspect-dylann-roof.html

John Mullins, who went to high school with Roof, told The Daily Beast that he remembers him as being “kind of wild.”

“He used drugs heavily a lot,” Mullins said. “It obviously harder than marijuana. He was like a pill popper, from what I understood. Like Xanax, and stuff like that.”

White Knoll High School had a mix of black and white students. Mullins says they occasionally mixed, and the school had “a lot of preps, a little bit of gang members, and a lot of outcasts.” But Roof wasn’t one of the outcasts, Mullins said.

Yet Roof did have a reputation for spouting racist messages.

Gunman provided his motivation to the witness he let go, and told her to pass on his message of racial hatred/revenge to the world.

Additionally, photo of shooter wearing the flags of 2 African countries when they were white-ruled.

In this case, I don't believe we'll find mental illness issues like in the Holmes & Lanza cases.

He is a young racist imo

No mental illness with this young racist adult imo

I don't know about that view, I'm thinking both racism and some kind of mental problems with this mass murderer.

I am disgusted that his father gave him a gun AFTER he had already been in legal trouble. Not just once, but twice.

Agree completely and I don't care if the acts causing his arrests were non-violent. You don't give your child a gun as a present after he has been arrested for a crime. That was a very bad decision. Very bad parenting!!!

Yet he had FB friends who were black. I just dont get him?????

i clicked on some of his "friends" on FB and instead of going to that person, it would go to Dylan's page. Why does that happen?

I wonder if he does have friends?

Am also tired of hearing that all these acts of violence causing the loss of multiple lives has to be due to mental problems. Hate is a real problem. I think it is learned very early in life.

The term mentally ill is tossed around a lot but I don't think a full blown insane person could sit still for an hour before acting. my two cents.

As someone who works with a lot of people who have one or more mental illness diagnoses - clinically there is no such thing as 'full blown insane.' Honestly many posters here are throwing around terms and saying things that are very insensitive to people with mental illness diagnoses. Talking about mental illness this way only increases the stigma which makes it more difficult for those with emerging symptoms to accept help. No one wants to have a mental illness in the same way that no one wants cancer.

Obviously this guy had some disturbing thoughts and carried them out. I hope that one day was can reduce the stigma surrounding mental illness diagnoses.

MOO.

CNN Breaking News ‏@cnnbrk 10m10 minutes ago

Allen University says #CharlestonShooting victim Tywanza Sanders was the youngest. http://cnn.it/1QFnuHE

CNN Live reported that the killer asked for the Pastor by name. High school friends are speaking out about his racist "jokes" and heavy drug use.

IMO-this was a race/hate crime. No doubt about it. I don't care what drugs he was on in the past or currently, he was raised with hate in his heart. Truly sad.

As someone who works with a lot of people who have one or more mental illness diagnoses - clinically there is no such thing as 'full blown insane.' Honestly many posters here are throwing around terms and saying things that are very insensitive to people with mental illness diagnoses. Talking about mental illness this way only increases the stigma which makes it more difficult for those with emerging symptoms to accept help. No one wants to have a mental illness in the same way that no one wants cancer.

Obviously this guy had some disturbing thoughts and carried them out. I hope that one day was can reduce the stigma surrounding mental illness diagnoses.

MOO.
The term insane is from the ' insanity defense' . I agree with you and have a family ripe with every kind of mental disorder and yet NONE have taken another life. Legally speaking there is a threshold of 'legally insane' and to cross that takes a lot more than 'this guy must have a mental illness' to have committed these crimes. I also wanted to add that someone addicted to drugs can have lots of drug induced behaviors that can mimic some mental disorder behaviors , so even if he acted off in a certain way would not necessarily classify him as ' legally insane'.
It's easy to say 'one must be mentally ill to do these things' and yet most who do these things are not at all mentally ill. I always think of Andrea Yates when insanity defense comes up. She did not run from the police. She did not attempt to cover her tracks or hide evidence.

"He said he had told his sister, Roof’s mother, several years ago that Roof was too introverted. “I said he was like 19 years old, he still didn’t have a job, a driver’s license or anything like that and he just stayed in his room a lot of the time.”

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20150618/PC16/150619390

More from your link

He was banned for a year from the mall, but on April 26, 2015, Columbia Police arrested him on a trespassing charge at the mall and was fined $262.50.

On his Facebook page, he listed his high school as White Knoll High School in Lexington County about 40 miles west of Eastover. Lexington County officials said that he dropped out of White Knoll High School in February 2010, when he was in the 10th grade. It wasn’t immediately clear whether he transferred to another school.

So this guy drops out of high school in 10th grade, is arrested for drugs, and violates the trespassing order at the mall. And, the parents give him a gun for his 21st birthday?? SMH Where has this guy been and what has this guy been doing since 10th grade? Stewing in his room?

So this guy drops out of high school in 10th grade, is arrested for drugs, and violates the trespassing order at the mall. And, the parents give him a gun for his 21st birthday?? SMH Where has this guy been and what has this guy been doing since 10th grade? Stewing in his room?

And what happened before the 10th grade? There was likely a home environment where learning, working, being sober, being kind etc etc was not on the menu at all.

10995577_10155714015620564_6549009051401611609_n.jpg

The Goose Creek Gators
School Sports Team · 6,288 Likes
· 4 hrs ·

We love you, Coach Singleton. Gator Nation is where it is today because of your leadership. You have our thoughts and prayers.

Sharonda Coleman-Singleton, 45 - a victim :rose:

A mother of three, reverend, and high school track coach, Sharonda Coleman-Singleton was killed while attending a prayer group at Emanuel AME Church.

Coleman-Singleton coached the girls track team at Goose Creek High School. The school remembered her Thursday with a post on its Facebook page.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jessicasime...-of-the-charleston-church-shooting#.jn9BxvR7x

He's not crazy. He's a terrorist.

In any event, I'm sure you guys have talked about it but who rewards their criminal son with a gun?

Also, these white supremacists have this fantasy of starting a "race war". Even people who harbor bias toward other groups would find mowing down worshippers while pretending to pray with them, absolutely disgustingly evil.

What a monster.

Finally, why does the monster have a little boy's 90's haircut?

enhanced-17480-1434647759-1.png

Cynthia Hurd - a victim :rose:

Cynthia Hurd, 54, a librarian, was killed in the shooting, the Charleston County Public Library (CCPL), confirmed Thursday.

Hurd worked at the public library for 31 years and was serving as the manager at St. Andrews Regional library since 2011.

“Cynthia was a tireless servant of the community who spent her life helping residents, making sure they had every opportunity for an education and personal growth,” the CCPL said in a statement.

The CCPL closed all 16 of its locations to honor Hurd and all the victims of the shooting.

“Her loss is incomprehensible,” the CCPL said.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jessicasime...-of-the-charleston-church-shooting#.ux6k6wg36

And he keeps getting in trouble with the law, but is never given serious jail time? Actually, I'm not surprised. I have family who moved to this general area about 25 yrs ago. Some of them left, saying it was a horribly racist, corrupt place. The rest I have no relationship with, as they turned into virulent conservative racists. Sad, really, what that area does to normal people who move there.

From what I understand, the justice system there is very corrupt. If you're white and your family has lived many years in the area, you're pretty much immune from punishment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momo1