SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
bolded added
That's new news to me.
I've been following this case but mostly just catching up reading here.
The exhumation of the nanny will hopefully provide more details for her family .
RIP to the victims.
What a sad case. :(
The purported utterance on the 911 call regarding Paul is an item of debate as far as I'm aware. Can we tie up this loose end? Did I miss an official announcement/transcript of the 911 call where Alex M actually says "paul why did you get involved/ you didn't need to be here" etc?

The purported utterance on the 911 call regarding Paul is an item of debate as far as I'm aware. Can we tie up this loose end? Did I miss an official announcement/transcript of the 911 call where Alex M actually says "paul why did you get involved/ you didn't need to be here" etc?
I do not believe you did. It's repeated often, but it is strictly listener interpretation as to what was said. Personally I don't hear it at all, and certainly if you believe that is what is said you are definitely going to hear it.

Unlike @StarryStarryNight, I am unwilling to give AM the benefit of the doubt that he did not intend to kill Maggie that evening, that it was spur of the moment. He's absolutely stone-cold. Maggie was leaving him, and threatened to potentially expose his house of cards. There is no way that he would not stoop to murder, just like the many wife killers out there when someone dares leave them and money is at stake.

I'm more willing to believe Paul was collateral damage but if it's true he was shot first...maybe not so much.

And @worm - you raise some really good points about the early handling of this case and how it may have contaminated the scene enough to raise reasonable doubt. The question is can prosecutors feel they have a strong enough case even despite that to go forward with? It's certainly one of the reasons that this is taking so long I believe, not to mention all the other mountains of crime they have discovered. I certainly hope so.

Tonight, ABC’s Anne Emerson in Charleston is offering a one-year Murdaugh recap in her Unsolved South Carolina podcast. As I started to listen she sets the scene by reminding us June 7 was an evening with off and on rain fall. [Remember LE’s tents.]

I suddenly began to wonder about that: Alex would have needed to convince Maggie to come out with him that night in wet weather. And further, stand there conversing with him possibly in drizzle or pouring rain. Whatever he said must have been pretty compelling.

Do you remember very early on, it was reported that a neighbor or close friend said something like Maggie had been “dragged down to the kennels” that night? Trying to relate this to the new audio/video evidence and remembering it was probably raining. Only my musings — throwing out for you to think about, too.

Justice Delayed: Murdaugh murders one year later

Last edited:
Tonight, ABC’s Anne Emerson in Charleston is offering a one-year Murdaugh recap in her Unsolved South Carolina podcast. As I started to listen she sets the scene by reminding us June 7 was an evening with rain fall off and on.

I suddenly began to wonder about that: Alex would have needed to convince Maggie to come out in wet weather with him that night. And further, stand there conversing with him possibly in drizzle or pouring rain.

Justice Delayed: Murdaugh murders one year later

Isn’t there some sheds or covered stalls in that area? I can’t remember from the aerial pics.

One reason that I look outside the box for killers is the limited description that we have with Paul’s injuries. A shotgun to the head is pure rage. I’m not saying that it’s impossible as we have seen it before, as with the supposed best friend done this in the Mike Williams?? (I think I’m right) Case in Florida. But that kind of act is just so violent that it seems more was happening there than a spouse argument.

Alex Murdaugh Violated Court Order In Trying To Disclaim Wife’s Estate

In a motion filed with the court in March, the receivers — John T. Lay and Peter McCoy — argued that Murdaugh’s disclaimer of “inherited assets” was a violation of the November order and warranted sanctions against him.

“A disclaimer of interest in an estate’s assets is, in effect, a transfer of assets from the original inheriting party to the decedent’s secondary beneficiaries.”

The motion, which called the waiver attempt “void,” stated: “Alex Murdaugh, and other persons acting on his behalf, are prohibited from directly and indirectly transferring or otherwise disposing of Alex Murdaugh’s Assets.”

Maggie Murdaugh’s estate would likely pass to their surviving son Buster. Though Buster is a defendant in several lawsuits, the motion noted, “based on the Receivers’ investigation thus far, it is apparent that Alex Murdaugh likely has significantly more creditors and larger debts than Buster Murdaugh.”

Lay and McCoy contended that Alex Murdaugh signed away his rights to the estate “with the belief that Buster Murdaugh’s debts would be less than those of Alex Murdaugh and thus the assets from Maggie’s Estate may be preserved for Buster Murdaugh in some portion.”

They called this an “improper preference” and said it violated the terms and intended purpose of the receivership order.

Federal Judge Denies Alex Murdaugh’s Request To Block Release Of Jailhouse Calls

State Sen. Dick Harpootlian and Jim Griffin have failed to convince a judge that any further release of their client’s jailhouse calls would be considered a violation of federal wiretapping laws, according to a strongly worded order issued last week.

The order denies Alex Murdaugh‘s request for a preliminary injunction and now puts the ball in Richland County’s court to make good on its promise to release the calls upon this very decision.

Judge’s order

This made my day. I can’t wait to hear what else AM blabbed about and to whom.

AM truly is lower than a snake's belly.

Let's see, what can we expect? A bit of boasting, hassling Buster, obtuse word circles, and then, just as the other end is about to hang up, requests for assistance of some kind.

Alex Murdaugh Violated Court Order In Trying To Disclaim Wife’s Estate

In a motion filed with the court in March, the receivers — John T. Lay and Peter McCoy — argued that Murdaugh’s disclaimer of “inherited assets” was a violation of the November order and warranted sanctions against him.

“A disclaimer of interest in an estate’s assets is, in effect, a transfer of assets from the original inheriting party to the decedent’s secondary beneficiaries.”

The motion, which called the waiver attempt “void,” stated: “Alex Murdaugh, and other persons acting on his behalf, are prohibited from directly and indirectly transferring or otherwise disposing of Alex Murdaugh’s Assets.”

Maggie Murdaugh’s estate would likely pass to their surviving son Buster. Though Buster is a defendant in several lawsuits, the motion noted, “based on the Receivers’ investigation thus far, it is apparent that Alex Murdaugh likely has significantly more creditors and larger debts than Buster Murdaugh.”

Lay and McCoy contended that Alex Murdaugh signed away his rights to the estate “with the belief that Buster Murdaugh’s debts would be less than those of Alex Murdaugh and thus the assets from Maggie’s Estate may be preserved for Buster Murdaugh in some portion.”

They called this an “improper preference” and said it violated the terms and intended purpose of the receivership order.
@Elley Mae, it is good to have this as a reminder of the money status, but were you just bringing this forward or did I miss something?

And to answer your ^ question in #652: NO!

IMO, if Alex weren’t locked up, he would be off in Aruba or some resort island, adding to his freckles :cool: and enjoying new “friends.”

The photo of a bikinied teenager giving a shot to an older man on a boat, really creeped me out.

Last edited:
Does anyone think that AM would have stuck around to make amends had he been able to get out on bond back in Oct ?

That's a good question. Part of me says no because of the laundry list of charges he's facing. On the other hand I don't know how well he would survive in hiding and not being a big shot, along with not having access to money and his family.

That's a good question. Part of me says no because of the laundry list of charges he's facing. On the other hand I don't know how well he would survive in hiding and not being a big shot, along with not having access to money and his family.
Those are all good questions. Also, I have to wonder if AM didn’t think he could continue to obfuscate and manipulate. It seems he’d been doing it successfully for years - at the highest levels of LE and the judicial system. No reason to think he couldn’t continue to buy himself out of trouble with other people’s money. :rolleyes:

This assumes that he doesn't have offshore accounts in banking havens. It would not surprise me to find that he had secret accounts in the Bahamas, Cayman Islands, etc. He seems to have moved (laundered) a huge pile of money over the years; where did it go? I do not believe the (risible) claim that he spent it all on opiates.

What is meant by "working in the dove fields?" I know it isn't relevant but I am curious? Do they have to weed it like a garden or place something to attract doves?

Dove fields would have been planted in Sunflowers. They might have had to do some cultivating to control weeds, or perhaps mow around the edge of the field.

Edit: "Placing something to attract doves" is illegal (a violation of the Federal Migratory Bird Act), but some folks do it anyway....particularly lawyers who are so well-connected that they don't fear prosecution. I happen to know a lot of these sorts of folks, and I've discovered them doing this sort of thing before. It's amazing what they can get away with.

Last edited:
What is meant by "working in the dove fields?" I know it isn't relevant but I am curious? Do they have to weed it like a garden or place something to attract doves?
I am not a hunter but I know that the dove fields have to be prepped for the fall hunts. So I'm thinking that is what he was doing that. I found this video from Georgia DNR:

Seeds have to be grown in the field where the doves are being hunted.

I recommend reading the entire article because it lays out the detail very well for a layperson (like me) when it comes to the law.

Here are the summary snippets.

RSBM and BBM

Alex Murdaugh on Wednesday petitioned the United States District Court for the District of South Carolina for a stay in a case brought by the company that formerly provided Murdaugh’s insurance coverage.
Essentially, Murdaugh is arguing that he should not be simultaneously criminally prosecuted and civilly sued for the same crimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crimecat8