SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #28

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

As the fifth week of the double murder trial of accused family killer Richard "Alex" Murdaugh continues in Walterboro, South Carolina, Netflix on Wednesday released its three-part docuseries, "Murdaugh Murders: A Southern Scandal." .

The project, directed by Julia Willoughby Nason and Jenner Furst, the team behind Amazon's "LuLaRich" and Netflix's "The Pharmacist," centers on the scandals and criminal allegations surrounding the disbarred attorney and the fall of his disgraced family dynasty.

"For over a century, the Murdaughs were law and order here in the 14th Circuit," Gannett/USA TODAY Network journalist Michael DeWitt Jr., who has covered the story for years, says in the trailer.

Here's what to know ahead of your "Murdaugh Murders" binge.

Alex Murdaugh trial: Judge declines to limit prosecutor's questions if Murdaugh takes stand​

A South Carolina judge on Wednesday declined a request to limit questions prosecutors can ask Alex Murdaugh, a once-wealthy and powerful attorney on trial for the murders of his wife and son.

"I am not going to issue an order in advance limiting the scope of cross-examination," Judge Clifton Newman said, adding that objections would be addressed as they come up.

so what if AM didn't hide the guns at the kennels beforehand...what if he had them in the golf cart or ATV whatever it was they ride around in?
And what if after he shot PM MM made a break for the cart...but she's in flip flops so he gets there first, gets in and gets the other gun. Did he bump her leg with that cart? Did he sit in the cart and shoot a few shots at her? Is that how he got back to the house?
I'm 5'3 and AM is def not but I could see him crouching and shooting like in those video games...but maybe he was in the cart for a shot or two...doesn't that line up with the quail pen or dog house?
Just wondering what y'all think since I can't watch it all of the time but maybe some of you have.

Alex Murdaugh trial: Judge declines to limit prosecutor's questions if Murdaugh takes stand​

A South Carolina judge on Wednesday declined a request to limit questions prosecutors can ask Alex Murdaugh, a once-wealthy and powerful attorney on trial for the murders of his wife and son.

"I am not going to issue an order in advance limiting the scope of cross-examination," Judge Clifton Newman said, adding that objections would be addressed as they come up.
That's the most absurd request I've ever heard!!

Ashleigh Banfield just now said on her show that Murdaugh will take the stand at 9:30 am tomorrow.

edit:sp

And Brian Entin did too. Most Tv tonight said the same.

What AM may be thinking is that he is going to be locked up either way so at least he can testify, cry like a baby and convince the jury that if he were guilty he wouldn’t take the chance.

EXCLUSIVE: Maggie Murdaugh's $4.3million estate she left to husband Alex will now be divided between victims of boating accident caused by late son, creditors and Buster - who will get $530,000 from sale of murder home set to close next month​

• Maggie Murdaugh's estate, valued at $4,309,057.77, has been settled after husband Alex sought to keep her millions in his family
  • In her will drafted in August 2005, Maggie left everything to her husband who is now on trial for her murder
  • The complex deal will see her millions divided between her surviving son Buster, victims and creditors when it is executed next month
As Alex Murdaugh stands trial for the double homicide of his wife, Maggie, and son, Paul, he has been fighting another less public legal battle seeking to keep the millions Maggie left in his family and out of reach of his numerous victims and creditors.

Now DailyMail.com can exclusively reveal how, after close to two years of legal wrangling, Maggie's estate has finally been settled in a complex deal that will see Moselle, the murder home, sold and millions divided between those victims and creditors as well as surviving son, Buster, when it is executed next month.

A trove of documents held by Georgetown County Probate Court in South Carolina and reviewed by DailyMail.com show that Maggie's estate was valued at $4,309,057.77.
More from article: Can you believe this guy?

At the time of Maggie's death Moselle was no longer a home for her, it was an asset. And it was one that, records show, Murdaugh was at pains to shield from the creditors and victims we now know he defrauded over years of misappropriation of funds and embezzlement.

The probate records obtained by DailyMail.com show that in December 2016 Murdaugh 'sold' Moselle – an estate worth around $3million at the time – to Maggie, for '$5 and love and affection.'

According to receivers brought in to represent the interests of Murdaugh's creditors and victims, this was tantamount to 'fraud.'

In documents held in Georgetown County Probate Court they state, 'Alex Murdaugh [had] orchestrated, planned, participated in, directed and began to execute a complex financial scheme of indefinite duration to take, divert and otherwise deprive third persons of their money unlawfully for his benefit, the benefit of Maggie Murdaugh, potentially unknowingly by Maggie Murdaugh, and the benefit of others associated with the financial scheme.'

Murdaugh has been charged with close to 100 financial crimes including numerous allegations that he embezzled law firm fees and deprived victims he represented in civil suits of millions of dollars' worth of settlement money.

He moved Moselle into Maggie's name in the full knowledge that a host of potential lawsuits were coming down the pipeline should his actions be discovered.

Moselle was shielded if Maggie was alive. And records uncovered by DailyMail.com show that Murdaugh had a quick fix to keep it that way following her death.

I think it’s 50/50 that AM will testify. I think he wants to.

I worry that his “cunning” and manipulative behavior can convince at least one, if not more, jurors. I do believe he has far better than average lying skills, and he obviously has relationship/schmoozing skills (as false or hollow as they turned out to be).

He will play up the horror, his shock, trauma, drug impacts, tears and, most importantly, the “I loved my wife and son - I could never have hurt them” angles. And it still ruminates through my mind: HOW could he have blown his son’s brains out? STILL! And intellectually, I completely believe he did it. But emotions are a different animal. If given an out, wouldn’t some people eagerly latch onto any excuse to convince them that SODDI?

He might be a good enough con man to sway the jury. As much as I’d love to see Creighton rake him over the coals, CW can’t know for sure what AM has concocted. And he’s had a very long time to devise his counterpoints to the evidence. He could have some twisted notions to throw everything off kilter. Although I think CW is brilliant, excellent, and superb at thinking ultra fast on his feet, he obviously can’t know those notions, for sure, in advance. That scares me.

As much as I want to hear AM’s “story” (aka lies), I hope he does not testify. I believe chances for conviction are better if he doesn’t.
Alex can be a charming man; able to charm a tree, according to colleagues.

If Alex chooses to testify, jurors have to consider his testimony. It is for the prosecution to demonstrate how, when and why Alex, and only Alex, was at or near the dog kennels when his family was murdered.

Sleep in for Alex's testimony, tune in for cross.

oh also, how is he paying for his defense team? And why bother, because isn't he going to go to prison for a million years for all of that bank fraud? Maybe a nicer prison than a family murderer goes to?

And why hasn't MM visiting a divorce attorney been brought up?

oh also, how is he paying for his defense team? And why bother, because isn't he going to go to prison for a million years for all of that bank fraud? Maybe a nicer prison than a family murderer goes to?

And why hasn't MM visiting a divorce attorney been brought up?
I believe it was a People article that reported she has seen a divorce attorney, nobody testified to that during the trial, I don’t think that is true. It was also widely reported that she text a friend that “Alex is up to something”, that was not in the trial either, doubt that text happened

I have wondered too how he is paying them, maybe family is helping?

It was weird questioning. JG was acting as if since some of Alex's victims were getting their money back, everything is all good now, no harm done. Like it was a privilege to be robbed by Alex.

I thought JG was trying to get MB to express his anger so the jury would think that he was trying to get back at AM through his testimony. MB and firm are people scorned who want to see him go to prison for ever. Which then he speaks about not knowing if AM killed MM and PM. Gamesmanship, JMHO.

More from article: Can you believe this guy?

At the time of Maggie's death Moselle was no longer a home for her, it was an asset. And it was one that, records show, Murdaugh was at pains to shield from the creditors and victims we now know he defrauded over years of misappropriation of funds and embezzlement.

The probate records obtained by DailyMail.com show that in December 2016 Murdaugh 'sold' Moselle – an estate worth around $3million at the time – to Maggie, for '$5 and love and affection.'

According to receivers brought in to represent the interests of Murdaugh's creditors and victims, this was tantamount to 'fraud.'

In documents held in Georgetown County Probate Court they state, 'Alex Murdaugh [had] orchestrated, planned, participated in, directed and began to execute a complex financial scheme of indefinite duration to take, divert and otherwise deprive third persons of their money unlawfully for his benefit, the benefit of Maggie Murdaugh, potentially unknowingly by Maggie Murdaugh, and the benefit of others associated with the financial scheme.'

Murdaugh has been charged with close to 100 financial crimes including numerous allegations that he embezzled law firm fees and deprived victims he represented in civil suits of millions of dollars' worth of settlement money.

He moved Moselle into Maggie's name in the full knowledge that a host of potential lawsuits were coming down the pipeline should his actions be discovered.

Moselle was shielded if Maggie was alive. And records uncovered by DailyMail.com show that Murdaugh had a quick fix to keep it that way following her death.
Typical of DM to misstate the facts!

First, MM's real estate may have had a market value of $4.3 but this is not the same as the value of her estate when there's also $3M of debt collateralized by the real estate in the estate!

AM committed fraud in 2016 when he sold the Moselle collateral to MM for $5 and the only reason 100% of Moselle was part of MM's estate was that the statute of limitations expired on the 2016 fraudulent transfer of property.

What was realized after MM's assets were sold and the banks, court receivers, personal rep, and attorneys fees paid was less than $700K to be disbursed to the Beach family, and two of the crash survivors Morgan and Miley, for personal injury claims, in exchange for releasing Buster & MM's estate from the wrongful death lawsuit.

More important is that AM did not benefit one dime from MM's estate and/or the liquidation of the couple's real estate at Edisto Beach and Moselle. MOO

I'm watching the 1st responder bodycam again. The second the recording starts Alex is standing right near the body of Paul. If anything, Alex contaminated the crime scene. He's right there lurking over Paul.

The second AM sees the officer he walks away from the corpse and the officer. It looks shady as hell. The second the cops show up he's acting very, very strange. A few seconds into their interaction Alex starts babbling about the boat accident.

Finally it took me awhile to figure out who Alex's squeaky, little, pathetic, whining voice reminds me of and I finally got it.... Andy Devine!! If you're a fan of Westerns he was always the bumbling fool, used for comedic relief in a lot of Westerns. Most notably The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Stage Coach, The Red Badge of Courage, How the West Was Won, It's a Mad, Mad, Mad World as well as dozens of other. His squeaky voice is remarkably similar!! It's almost as if Alex decided to imitate him!!

View attachment 404870
My dad's uncle Ernie used to play golf with Andy Devine. No foolin'. Ernie was from outer space and whooshed him Andy into his spacecraft after finishing up 18 holes. Ok, that 2nd part is a lie.

I believe it was a People article that reported she has seen a divorce attorney, nobody testified to that during the trial, I don’t think that is true. It was also widely reported that she text a friend that “Alex is up to something”, that was not in the trial either, doubt that text happened

I have wondered too how he is paying them, maybe family is helping?
I agree that early reports of MM seeing a divorce attorney were probably only rumors. IMO

As far as how AM is paying for his Defense, this is all I can glean from this article.

[…]

Why defend Murdaugh?​

Harpootlian and Griffin are well aware that most of the viewing public will be rooting for them to fail on Jan. 23.

For more than a year, they have been criticized, even demonized, for taking up Murdaugh’s defense. But friends and colleagues say they imagine the duo relishes the challenge Murdaugh’s defense presents.

In an interview, Griffin said he has continued to represent Murdaugh in part because he built a relationship with the family while defending Murdaugh’s son Paul in the boat crash case. In the aftermath of the June 2021 slayings, Griffin said he worked as a liaison between state investigators and the Murdaugh family, making sure law enforcement had everything they needed.

“When you do what we do, many lawyers would find this case irresistible because of the notoriety and just being on the stage,” Griffin said. “That’s not why I did it. I did it because I’ve lived through this with (Murdaugh).”

They also aren’t doing it for the pay. Murdaugh is almost out of money, having liquidated his retirement account to put some $600,000 toward his legal defense. Much of that will be eaten up by expert witnesses and other defense costs. Griffin and Harpootlian are said to be working for well below their normal rates.

“Everybody hates lawyers,” Harpootlian said, “until they need one.”

[…]

They also aren’t doing it for the pay. Murdaugh is almost out of money, having liquidated his retirement account to put some $600,000 toward his legal defense. Much of that will be eaten up by expert witnesses and other defense costs. Griffin and Harpootlian are said to be working for well below their normal rates.

“Everybody hates lawyers,” Harpootlian said, “until they need one.”
^^rsbm

Thanks for confirming this info about AM liquidating his 401K. I recall there was a question last year about whether or not the appointed court receivers could control AM's retirement account and it appears this was resolved by approving AM to surrender his account to his legal team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back