VERDICT WATCH SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #35

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Murdaugh Murder Trial, Day 26: State brings back key witnesses, rests rebuttal​

COLLETON COUNTY, S.C. (WCIV) — As the Murdaugh murder trial comes to a close, the jury could get a break from the courtroom this week to visit the Murdaugh family's former Moselle property.

The visit would give the jury a more physical sense of the crime scene where Maggie and Paul Murdaugh were killed in Colleton County.

All MOO:

If closing arguments conclude and the jury begins deliberations by Thursday, they will render a "guilty" verdict before the weekend. It won't take long at all for the jurors to agree that they "are done" with this farce of a power/passion play.

The defense's case has been vastly underwhelming and nontechnical, full of arm waving that at turns was childishly spiteful, and more egregiously, disrespectful of the court at times, and the two murder victims and other folks collaterally damaged by all of AM's many crimes at other times. Overall it felt like they failed to demonstrate "he would never kill his wife and child", no less who would or could have, they were dismissive of the tremendous trauma of the horrific way in which Maggie and Paul were murdered, and they never acknowledged the excruciating emotional cost of the loss of the lives of Maggie and Paul, two innocent loved ones of the accused who "never did him any harm".

AM's testimony was a massive disaster that screamed "scary-privileged-pathological-liar-with-alot-to-lose = family annihilator" during which any chances he had of "redeeming" himself in front of the jury and establishing reasonable doubt that he murdered his wife and youngest son was obliterated. Overall it felt like he decided to testify "in the end" because his defense had major shortcomings, he was just "playing to the jury" and trying to "bowl them over" with his charm and standing in the community/acting from a position of authority/intimidation, and it was just "curtains" before his "final act" as he went through a huge range of emotions to confuse and obfuscate and literally "try anything" to play on any possible uncertainty or sympathy remaining with the jury, and crossing his fingers it might all Somehow = reasonable doubt.

IMO, it has all been simply despicable, AM's defense, mainly because it seemed like there was no real concern for what happened to the victims and why they were shot to death "together at home" "out of the blue", and they just "went with" AM's versions of events knowing {ETA}: at least at some point that he was a liar and possibly a criminal, and didn't seem to care a lick whether anything he said was believable or provable, which is just heartbreaking and insulting to the memories of the victims and their loved ones.

Again, MOO

Last edited:
I would be delving into the buyers of these properties. I also would not be surprised if they are LLC's or hidden M family buyers. JMO
I seriously hope that AM gets what he deserves with all of the legal proceedings before him.. but either way, I can’t imagine he’s going to live the rest of his life with any genuine happiness. How miserable do you have to be inside to live like this.. ?

Is it temporary GRAVES or HEADSTONES? Will their urns be relocated? Or just waiting on headstones? I know people who never spared $1 for headstones because they kept the money.

I don’t have the answers but I am curious if anyone kept some of the ashes. My experience with cremation is the urns are kept at home, personally owned property or a mausoleum.

Wait so what’s going to stand as legally binding? Please tell me not the name crossed out
According to the article when RM died instead of reverting back to MP they had her sign documents putting JMM as executor.
I think it is interesting that MM never told her sister. Just a guess but telling her would mean having to explain why they were in her name and could not go to Alex, maybe something she did not want to share. moo

How could a guy simultaneously pre plan this to the extent that its been alleged that he premeditated this by "luring" Maggie to the property, to kill her. Then thought ahead to use 2 weapons to give the impression there were 2 shooters.
Along with pondering a way out of the pickle he was in with the firm for months. And coming up with a plan to kill his wife and son. But not consider the technology. Seriously, he is cunning. He knows how law enforcement works. He knows what cell phones are capable of data logging, he knows on star is tracking him.

He was counting on the cell phone data to help him, by leaving his phone at the house. He didn't count on Paul's video nor that the phones would lock at the same time or what that would mean.

Phones do make it harder to murder someone you know and live with nowadays. 20 years ago he might have gotten away with it. Heck, he still might get away with it, the way so many people seem to think there is still some (misunderstood) reasonable doubt here.

Thanks to everyone for the posts, past and current.
Am trying to read and catch up, but it's an enormous task.
My question in much of this trial and in other murder cases : Who has the most to gain or lose ?
Also ; did AM in some remote corner of his mind think that a random stranger would be blamed and he would resume his past life, sans wife and son ?
Was it possible he planned to kill Buster as well ?
Imo ; If I were Buster -- that would greatly influence my testimony towards AM in this trial !
M00.
Very remote corner of AM's mind thinking he would take the hit for all the financial crimes and slither around the murders leaving BM alive as the family trophy to carry on the name. In the real world as most see it AM burned that ancestory tree down which will leave a dark stain and a bitter taste in everyone's mouth when the name is spoken.

“If I were Buster….” ??
What do you mean?
Sorry if I've worded that in a confusing way.
:oops:

Just what it says ... wondering what Buster is thinking these days ?
Sometimes people will try to put themselves into another's shoes to imagine why they act the way they do.
Thus far, Buster seems to still be on AM's side.
Does some part of him hope his dad is innocent ?
I truly don't know.

Last edited:
All MOO:

If closing arguments conclude and the jury begins deliberations by Thursday, they will render a "guilty" verdict before the weekend. It won't take long at all for the jurors to agree that they "are done" with this farce of a power/passion play.

The defense's case has been vastly underwhelming and nontechnical, full of arm waving that at turns was childishly spiteful, and more egregiously, disrespectful of the court at times, and the two murder victims and other folks collaterally damaged by all of AM's many crimes at other times. Overall it felt like they failed to demonstrate "he would never kill his wife and child", no less who would or could have, they were dismissive of the tremendous trauma of the horrific way in which Maggie and Paul were murdered, and they never acknowledged the excruciating emotional cost of the loss of the lives of Maggie and Paul, two innocent loved ones of the accused who "never did him any harm".

AM's testimony was a massive disaster that screamed "scary-privileged-pathological-liar-with-alot-to-lose = family annihilator" during which any chances he had of "redeeming" himself in front of the jury and establishing reasonable doubt that he murdered his wife and youngest son was obliterated. Overall it felt like he decided to testify "in the end" because his defense had major shortcomings, he was just "playing to the jury" and trying to "bowl them over" with his charm and standing in the community/acting from a position of authority/intimidation, and it was just "curtains" before his "final act" as he went through a huge range of emotions to confuse and obfuscate and literally "try anything" to play on any possible uncertainty or sympathy remaining with the jury, and crossing his fingers it might all Somehow = reasonable doubt.

IMO, it has all been simply despicable, AM's defense, mainly because it seemed like there was no real concern for what happened to the victims and why they were shot to death "together at home" "out of the blue", and they just "went with" AM's versions of events knowing he was a liar and a criminal, and didn't seem to care a lick whether anything he said was believable or provable, which is just heartbreaking and insulting to the memories of the victims and their loved ones.

Again, MOO
Terrific post !

So,

First, AM should be in jail for a long time just based on the fraud alone.

The following isn't a defense of this guy. Just thoughts....

How could a guy simultaneously pre plan this to the extent that its been alleged that he premeditated this by "luring" Maggie to the property, to kill her. Then thought ahead to use 2 weapons to give the impression there were 2 shooters.
Along with pondering a way out of the pickle he was in with the firm for months. And coming up with a plan to kill his wife and son. But not consider the technology. Seriously, he is cunning. He knows how law enforcement works. He knows what cell phones are capable of data logging, he knows on star is tracking him.

How are we supposed to square this?

That said, I think he knows exactly what happened that night. I think these people were into some really bad things. And something went very wrong. Possibly something Paul had gotten himself into. And there is still some type of threat hanging over the heads of the rest of the family.

There's more to this story.
yes there is.....

Speaking of real estate, this is from October 2022

A Beaufort County island co-owned by disgraced and disbarred South Carolina attorney Richard “Alex” Murdaugh and a deceased drug-smuggling suspect is up for sale, pending court approval.

Jailed in Richland County and facing more than 90 criminal charges and 11 lawsuits, Murdaugh has had his assets placed under the control of court-appointed attorneys known as receivers who are tasked with identifying assets and potentially liquidating them to create a settlement fund for alleged victims.

Amy Hill, attorney for co-receivers Peter McCoy Jr. and John Lay Jr., filed a “motion for court consideration and approval of the sale of real estate" on Sept. 20 before Judge Daniel Hall in Hampton County Court of Common Pleas.

This property that's for sale, known as “Island A,” is a 22-acre island that is the largest in the three Cherry Knoll Hill Islands, also called the “Williams Islands,” located off the coast of Beaufort, according to the court filing.

It's accessible only by boat and only during certain tides. It has a dock that suffered hurricane damage long before the approach of Ian that's not considered useable.

Islands co-owned by Murdaugh and deceased drug-smuggling suspect​

The island for sale is 50% owned by Murdaugh through Murdaugh Holdings and 50% owned by the Estate of Barrett Boulware, according to the court filing.

According to another filing on Sept. 1 by the co-receivers in Hampton County Court of Common Pleas, Murdaugh owns at least seven islands in and around Beaufort County ranging in size from 20.05 acres to .08 acres — all either directly as a co-owner with Boulware or as co-owner through an entity or joint venture.

[…]

Hidden assets. That makes a lot more sense than his claims about drug habit costs. Right general location?

Google Map

Attachments

• 1677634056078.png
    1677634056078.png
    372.7 KB · Views: 25
IMO, it has all been simply despicable, AM's defense, mainly because it seemed like there was no real concern for what happened to the victims and why they were shot to death "together at home" "out of the blue", and they just "went with" AM's versions of events knowing he was a liar and a criminal, and didn't seem to care a lick whether anything he said was believable or provable, which is just heartbreaking and insulting to the memories of the victims and their loved ones.

Again, MOO

Agreed - BUT if the defense can be effective at mind shmoozing just one juror, getting them to obsess on the micro details in the form of technical legal jargon, they might have a chance. I honestly think that’s the only leg they have to stand on outside of doing something nuts during the jury visit to cause a mistrial. I stand by my thoughts regarding closing arguments: if the prosecution can simply focus on the BLARING OBVIOUS EVIDENCE that’s hit us all in the face, there’s no way AM will walk as a free man again.

I seriously hope that AM gets what he deserves with all of the legal proceedings before him.. but either way, I can’t imagine he’s going to live the rest of his life with any genuine happiness. How miserable do you have to be inside to live like this.. ?
If AM did this terrible crime, how could his mind even go there in the first place ?
Most people want to protect their families even at the cost of their own lives !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mark2221