SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton *Guilty* #43

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
“She asked jurors about their opinions about Mr. Murdaugh’s guilt or innocence. She instructed them not to believe evidence presented in Mr. Murdaugh’s defense, including his own testimony. She lied to the judge to remove a juror she believed might not vote guilty. And she pressured jurors to reach a guilty verdict quickly so she could profit from it,” defense attorneys Jim Griffin and Dick Harpootlian wrote.

The attorneys called Tuesday’s ruling welcome news. “We intend to proceed expeditiously and will seek a full blown evidentiary hearing,” they said in a statement.
What a cluster!

This appeal will be interesting considering you have two Justices, representing Federal and State jurisdictions each, where given discretion at sentencing, used that discretion, accordingly.

IMO, rarely does the higher court interfere to tell the Court that their discretion was flawed!

IMO, the Federal Court did not have the same info or the history (the State had) before rendering its decision-- amounting to a slap on the wrist for CF.

On the other hand, I hope Judge Newman's sentence stands, and the appellate turns down hearing this case. MOO

This appeal will be interesting considering you have two Justices, representing Federal and State jurisdictions each, where given discretion at sentencing, used that discretion, accordingly.

IMO, rarely does the higher court interfere to tell the Court that their discretion was flawed!

IMO, the Federal Court did not have the same info or the history (the State had) before rendering its decision-- amounting to a slap on the wrist for CF.

On the other hand, I hope Judge Newman's sentence stands, and the appellate turns down hearing this case. MOO
I'm still incensed by RL's cushy club Fed 7 year sentence, when he, IMO, helped facilitate AM's dirty deeds even more than CF.

JMO

I'm still incensed by RL's cushy club Fed 7 year sentence, when he, IMO, helped facilitate AM's dirty deeds even more than CF.

JMO
Right or wrong, I still say CF thought he was an honorary Murdaugh! Beginning as freshmen, all those years as 'Big Red's' wingman had to be worth something!

ETA: add updated link for CF

Last edited:
More of the same except now the select affidavits have been filed with the Motion in the County District Court where the state can respond and the local court will sort out fact from fiction. Clerk Hill also deserves her day in Court too.

• The motion, which details allegations against Hill that were first made last month by Murdaugh’s team, bears a receipt stamp from Hill herself, in her capacity as the Colleton County Clerk of Court.
  • The motion contains allegations that Hill “tampered with the jury by advising them not to believe Murdaugh’s testimony and other evidence presented by the defense, pressuring them to reach a quick guilty verdict, and even misrepresenting critical and material information to the trial judge in her campaign to remove a juror she believed to be favorable to the defense.”
  • A request from CNN to Hill’s attorney for comment was not immediately answered.
  • CNN has also reached out to the South Carolina Attorney General’s Office on Friday afternoon.
  • Murdaugh’s attorneys declined to comment on the new trial motion.

More about the notorious SC fraudster and disbarred attorney @thelink...

Alex Murdaugh officially files motion for new trial

Updated: Oct 28, 2023 / 09:59 AM EST

I imagine it is all ‘spilled milk’ now, but I wonder who thinks it was a good idea for the clerk to be allowed to write a memoir of such a high profile case trial and basically in the throws of it’s completion.

And even if the state or court would want to sanction that clerk now for her having written it with included allegations - to do so would seem to undercut any argument that nothing improper had occurred.

This doesn’t seem to be a good scenario in any number of perspectives.
MOO

Last edited:
  • The motion, which details allegations against Hill that were first made last month by Murdaugh’s team, bears a receipt stamp from Hill herself, in her capacity as the Colleton County Clerk of Court.
  • The motion contains allegations that Hill “tampered with the jury by advising them not to believe Murdaugh’s testimony and other evidence presented by the defense, pressuring them to reach a quick guilty verdict, and even misrepresenting critical and material information to the trial judge in her campaign to remove a juror she believed to be favorable to the defense.”
  • A request from CNN to Hill’s attorney for comment was not immediately answered.
  • CNN has also reached out to the South Carolina Attorney General’s Office on Friday afternoon.
  • Murdaugh’s attorneys declined to comment on the new trial motion.

More about the notorious SC fraudster and disbarred attorney @thelink...

Alex Murdaugh officially files motion for new trial

Updated: Oct 28, 2023 / 09:59 AM EST
I have to admit, I'm a bit surprised that she was not at least suspended.

Alex Murdaugh's attorneys are now going after Judge Clifton Newman, filing today to prohibit him from overseeing any hearing about alleged jury tampering, and prohibiting him from presiding over any other future, Murdaugh-related trials. Full story coming later today.

Regarding defense petition to SC Supreme Court to prohibit Judge Neman from hearing the motion for new trial and presiding over any AM hearings or trials…
1) I couldn’t really understand why defense included the accusation that BH fabricated a FB post to have a juror dismissed in their motion for new trial before seeing this petition. It wasn’t the reason #785 was dismissed and it seemed like a stretch to suggest she made it up just because no one could locate it - I don’t think the deleted Timothy Stone post and subsequent apology had anything to do with what BH saw that night and suspect that will be cleared up some in the hearing. But after reading the petition it’s pretty clear that their reason for including it at all was not so much to show BH was interfering with the jury, but to give a reason that Judge Newman should recuse himself If their other reason about his after verdict comments in court and in subsequent interviews failed. I do not think that there is any evidence to support the allegation that BH made this up and therefore no reason here for the Judge to recuse himself or for the SC to grant the petition to prevent him from presiding over the hearing on the motion for new trial. That is I don’t believe defense should be allowed to make unfounded accusations that cause a judge to recuse himself or be prohibited from presiding over a hearing.
2) I do think there may be some grounds regarding his post verdict comments during sentencing and his post trial interviews to ask him to recuse himself but not sure whether or not that means legally he should recuse himself or be prohibited from hearing the motion - but I cannot find fault with the defense asking.
3) Defense asked Judge Newman in a letter dated 10/18 to recuse himself. Prosecution responded in a letter dated 10/25. Did Judge Newman respond? If so it wasn’t in the docs submitted with the petition to the Supreme Court on 11/1. If he hasn’t responded then it seems the defense jumped the gun in petitioning the SC Supreme Court to intervene. If he responded and said he was not recusing himself, why wouldn’t that have been included in the petition? If he does respond now and says he will recuse himself then the defense wasted the SC Supreme Court’s time and I’m not sure that’s something any attorney wants to do. I think they should have at least waiting until Judge Newman said yes or no or scheduled the hearing or something. Doing it this way made me think of the little kid who asks one parent for something and before that parent can say yes or know the kid runs to the other parent and asks. In most families that child would be in trouble for trying to play one parent against the other.
4) As much as I would like for no-nonsense Judge Newman to be the one to hear this motion for a new trial, I actually do think he should recuse himself - not that I think he did anything wrong regarding any of the accusations against BH - but because of his comments during sentencing and interviews - not that he was wrong in any of them - not even sure the comments would be against the rules as defense suggests - that’s a bit over my head - but because of the appearance of potential bias and I would not want to see the conviction overturned on appeal because Judge Newman did not recuse himself from the motion for new trial hearing. I just don’t think whether or not Judge Newman presides over the motion for new trial hearing is worth risking the conviction being overturned on appeal.
5) At this point, I am still not convinced that a new trial will be granted after the hearing regardless of what judge hears the motion. I really want to hear testimony from the various jurors before making up my mind on that. If defense doesn’t PROVE their allegations of jury tampering then there is no new trial granted and it goes back to the appeals court. I don’t really think they have grounds to win an appeal so I think this motion for new trial is their best shot and think it better for Judge Newman to let someone else hear the motion than to give the defense another possible reason for appeal down the road.

As always these are my own opinions - apologies for the length of the post but it was a 265 page petition lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1