GUILTY SC - Samantha Josephson, 21, Columbia, thought she was getting into Uber, 29 Mar 2019 *Arrest* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Confused maybe. Why would she knowingly lie about that? Whether he slept upstairs without his pants, or downstairs with his pants on...seems irrelevant.
Just my thoughts.
The whole, "Oh, we're just friends" thing. She didn't want to admit he was just hooking up with her at his convenience. The first, "Mind your business" would have been enough for me to sell him down the river LOL.

Through the end of this week, and possibly beginning next week, is what I believe I read. I can not provide a link.

Prosecution said they had not received a list of expected Defense witnesses. Did I hear them say the Defense had no witnesses lined up? I like the pace of this trial. Relevant things are being covered, but no grandstanding.

Another trial with a beer can again…for those who just followed Mark Redwine’s trial!

Do you think that beer can might have his DNA on it?
My guess is that it does not. Hence eliciting testimony from the first witness that young people go out there to drink and pitch their empty beer cans. Defense will try to said the killer left the beer can. I could be wrong.

I'm not familiar with the video/legal commentator in question but are you sure they weren't referring to not having probable cause to search the vehicle? I believe SC provides for a vehicle to be stopped based on reasonable suspicion... MOO

The legal commentator I heard was saying that stopping Roland's car was unconstitutional because the only basis for the stop was because it was a dark-colored car. The commentator said that wasn't enough for probable cause and that most courts would agree with him. However, because of the national attention of this case, the judge wouldn't stop the body cam's inclusion because it would hurt the prosecution's case. I thought the police officer recognized the car as a dark-colored Chevrolet Impala and knew to stop it because of the BOLO alert. The only reason I am concerned with this is because I don't want this to be a valid appeal issue if Roland is found guilty.

The legal commentator I heard was saying that stopping Roland's car was unconstitutional because the only basis for the stop was because it was a dark-colored car. The commentator said that wasn't enough for probable cause and that most courts would agree with him. However, because of the national attention of this case, the judge wouldn't stop the body cam's inclusion because it would hurt the prosecution's case. I thought the police officer recognized the car as a dark-colored Chevrolet Impala and knew to stop it because of the BOLO alert. The only reason I am concerned with this is because I don't want this to be a valid appeal issue if Roland is found guilty.
Thanks for the explanation. I'm also glad the Court agreed with the state here-- based on the BOLO. :)

Surveillance cameras, ubiquitous in Five Points, had captured her getting into the vehicle and her image and the car had been disseminated as a BOLO — Be On the Lookout for — to police patrol cars across the city.

About 2 a.m. on March 30, 2019, Kraft spotted a black Chevrolet Impala at the intersection of Blossom and Harden streets on the edge of Five Points and began to follow it, Kraft testified under questioning by prosecutor Daniel Goldberg.

“Were you the only one looking?” Goldberg asked.

“The whole city was,” Kraft replied as a jury of seven women and five men looked on.

Read more here: https://www.newsobserver.com/news/state/south-carolina/article252925823.html#storylink=cpy

Another trial with a beer can again…for those who just followed Mark Redwine’s trial!

Do you think that beer can might have his DNA on it?
Yes but what about the banana?

@Niner I tried to collect. witness names for you (from the links below)…

Anders Lee, hunter who found her body with his friend

Bubba Morris, SC Dept of Natural Resources who they called and came to the scene

Jeffrey Kraft, Columbia PD pulled NR’s car over, body cam footage of Rowland running away

Justin Niscia, Columbia PD, apprehended NR and arrested him

James Nunez, Columbia PD patrolman

Alvis S Glen & Parnell Myers, intake officers, booked him into jail

Agent Brian Hudak, digital forensics trying to retrieve info from car

CPD Investigator James Fisher, got Wendy’s video

Maria Howard, former girlfriend of NR who described blood in the car, etc.

There was another witness after this one that collected evidence

Info from these links:

Samantha Josephson case: live coverage of Day 2 of testimony | wltx.com

https://www.thestate.com/news/local/crime/article252927518.html

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/state/south-carolina/article252925823.html

@Niner I tried to collect. witness names for you (from the links below)…

Anders Lee, hunter who found her body with his friend

Bubba Morris, SC Dept of Natural Resources who they called and came to the scene

Jeffrey Kraft, Columbia PD pulled NR’s car over, body cam footage of Rowland running away

Justin Niscia, Columbia PD, apprehended NR and arrested him

James Nunez, Columbia PD patrolman

Alvis S Glen & Parnell Myers, intake officers, booked him into jail

Agent Brian Hudak, digital forensics trying to retrieve info from car

CPD Investigator James Fisher, got Wendy’s video

Maria Howard, former girlfriend of NR who described blood in the car, etc.

There was another witness after this one that collected evidence

Info from these links:

https://www.thestate.com/news/local/crime/article252927518.html

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/state/south-carolina/article252925823.html

This is a very helpful list. Thank you!
The only correction would be that Alvin S Glenn is the name of the jail...the Alvin S Glenn Detention Center.

JUL 21, 2021
Rowland Trial Day 2: Suspect’s ex-girlfriend says she saw him scrubbing car with bleach (wistv.com)
[...]

Kraft testified he asked Rowland to get out of the car, and his dash cam showed Rowland running on foot. Kraft also showed video from his body camera.

The officer said he lost sight of Rowland on Waccamaw Avenue. Kraft said he went back to the car and noticed a large amount of blood, so he notified his crime scene investigators.

[...]

Howard also said she had to pick up her daughter in the Impala and her daughter got blood on her shoe. Howars testified she threw those shoes in the closet.

Howard said she didn’t tell police about the blood in the car at first because she was tired and scared, but then later told police the truth.

[...]

An agent with the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division, Todd Shank, took the stand next.

Shank testified there was blood spatter in Rowland’s car on the passenger front headrest, the back ceiling, the back seat driver’s side door, and on the back seat console.

[...]

He also said there were footprints on the inside of the car windows that belonged to the victim.

[...]

Big shout out to @Chelly for all the updates! Thank you so much.
t2015.gif

JUL 21, 2021
[...]

Maria Howard told the court she and Rowland had known each other for years before the killing, and in March of 2019, he had been staying overnight at her home regularly.

[...]

She said that night he was at her home when she went to bed. But she said when she went downstairs early the next morning, he was gone.

She said after getting no response to her text messages because he was supposed to give her a ride to work, he pulled up. She said he was still wearing the clothes he had on from the night before.

[...]

After leaving for 10 minutes because he said he had to take his nephew to school, he came back with her work shirt, which was wet.

She said when she got in his car, there was dried blood on the dashboard and beside the seats. In the back, she said there was some blood and a sheet covering most of the seat.

Later that day, he didn't pick her up from work, so she got a ride home from a co-worker. She she got home, he agreed to take her to pick up her young daughter. Once again, she said he was still wearing the same clothes.

She said he was cleaning the car with some kind of chemical that smelled like bleach, and was using cleaning wipes.

The cleaning continued as she drove his car, while was in the passenger seat. She said he also cleaned a small hunter's knife. She said he also said he didn't want her daughter in the car because she said he told her "it had blood on it."

[...]

Later when she saw a news report of Josephson's disappearance and the car that police were looking for, she said "It all made sense to me now.

She said she didn't go to police. "I was scared," she said.

Eventually, after Rowland's arrest, police came to talk to her to get her story.

[...]

Schenk said there appeared to be a significant blood letting throughout the car.

Investigators returned to the Bluff Road facility on April 2, where they pulled out the back seat to search for and document suspected blood. At that time, Schenk said they also cut a piece of the back seat to reveal suspected blood saturated the seat and was absorbed into the seat cushion.

[...]

Kraft said that upon approaching the vehicle, there was a smell of marijuana and asked for a driver’s license and ID. The driver said he had no license on him and admitted to smoking marijuana and was asked to step out of the vehicle. As Kraft told the driver the vehicle matched the description of one of interest, and then the driver is seen taking off in a run into the neighborhood, away from Five Points.

[...]

A female passenger in the front seat of the Impala during the traffic stop and subsequent chase was temporarily detained.

[...]

Before breaking for lunch, other witnesses included former Alvin S Glenn intake officer Travis Parnell Myers, who booked Rowland into the Richland County jail; SLED agent Brian Hudak, a certified expert in Digital Forensics who was tasked to try to retrieve data from the Impala's human response/entertainment interface module; and CPD Investigator James Fisher, who works in the Special Victims Unit and was tasked first with obtaining video from a Wendy's on Garners Ferry Road that helped track Rowland's movements on March 29, 2019.

[...]

(Much more at the link - very lengthy article.)

Thursday, July 22nd:
*Trial continues (Day 3) (@ 9:30am ET) - SC - Samantha "Sami" Josephson (21) (last seen on video March 29, 2019 @ ~1:30am, Columbia, found Friday (3/29/21) afternoon in a rural area by turkey hunters in a field near a wooded area about 40 feet off a dirt road along Black Bottom Road close to the town of New Zion in Clarendon County) - *Nathaniel David Rowland (24/now 27) arrested & charged (3/30/19) & indicted (4/18/19) with murder, kidnapping, possession of a weapon during the commission of a violent crime, refusal to stop for police command, & possession of 28g or less of marijuana. Plead not guilty. Bond denied.
Trial began 7/19/21 with jury selection & ended 7/20/21. Trial started on 7/20/21. Jury is 7 women & 5 men & Alternates: 3 women & 1 man. 10 women & 6 men (8 people are Black, 2 people are Hispanic, 1 person is Indian & 5 people are white).
Case & court info from 3/30/19 thru 4/20/21 & Jury selection (Day 1-2) 7/19-7/20/21 & Trial (Day 1) 7/20/21 reference post #453 here:
Found Deceased - SC - Samantha Josephson, 21, Columbia, thought she was getting into Uber, 29 Mar 2019 *Arrest* #2

7/21/21 Wednesday, Trial Day 2: State witnesses: Andres Lee, turkey hunter who found Samantha's body. Bubba Morris, a Dept. of Natural Resources officer (lives across the road from the Rowland family). The father of one of the turkey-hunters called him & asked him to drive to their location because the hunters did not want to get too close to the body. He secured the scene until LE arrived. CPD body cam footage was shown. In the video, an officer pulls over a black Chevrolet Impala that matched the description of a vehicle that a be-on-the-lookout was issued for. Jury saw camera footage of Rowland being stopped after turning the wrong way down Saluda Avenue near Five Points. Officer asks Rowland who has been smoking marijuana & asks him to step out of vehicle. Rowland steps out & takes off running shortly after. Officer Jeffrey Kraft. He saw large quantities of blood, footprints on the window & cleaning supplies in the Impala that Rowland was driving. Columbia Police officer Justin Niscia testified about responding to where officers were chasing Rowland & being able to catch him on Congaree. Body cam shows him handcuffing Rowland in the grass. James Nunez, Columbia PD patrolman. Travis Parnell Myers, intake officer, booked him into jail. Agent Brian Hudak, digital forensics trying to retrieve info from car. CPD Investigator James Fisher, got Wendy’s video. Maria Howard, former girlfriend of NR who described blood in the car. Todd Shank, So. Carolina Law Enforcement Division, re blood spatter in Rowland's car. Trial continues on 7/22/21.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ioprgee
Back