Found Deceased Spain - Julen Rosello, 2, fell into narrow and deep borehole, Totalán, 13 Jan 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Something went wrong with copy/paste .... here it is again:

UPDATE #Totalan #Julen: There is not much to say, except that miners work is progress. I monitored the capsule location and it's interesting:

18:57h-19:13h surface
10 min.
19:23h-19:32h surface
24 min.
19:56h-20:04h surface
1h52m!
21:56h surfaced
(Photo:
@gomezdcelis)
View attachment 165696

So he's saying that they were down there for those amounts of time? Is that what he's trying to convey?

I have no knowledge on what it must take to set up an operation like this but reading through the updates I am struggling to understand why it has taken so so long to get this thing underway. Thoughts are with his parents.

Like Elainera has said they had some issues early on which began the delays. I have worked on drilling rigs years ago and I remember most of the steps.

The first step they had to do is regular land escavating to flatten out the area around the hole so they can bring in the large drilling rig which is a large truck that does the drilling. That truck can turn the drill pipe column and allows changing of each of the sections of the drill pipe as they go down. Large oil wells have a fixed platform but in this operation they are using a drilling truck rig.

What a lot of people dont realize is to drill a well that deep, it takes sections of pipe called a drill column and each pipe is usually only about 20 or 30 feet long. So as they go down they have to clamp off the drill column pipe and attach another section of pipe to keep going down. Each section of pipe one at a time gets attached as they go down.

The other thing unique about this 2nd hole they are drilling is the diameter is very large to fit the human cage. The larger diameter hole means they had to use a special drilling bit or method to get a large diameter hole like that. Normally water wells dont have to be nearly that large of diameter like the one the boy is stuck in is rather small diameter.

The other thing that most people dont realize is the drill bit at the very bottom of the drilling pipe column gets dull often. Then what happens is they have to pull up the entire length of drilling pipe back up to the top and remove each section of pipe as they go in order to get to the very bottom one to change out the drill bit. The drill bits are usually commercial diamond tipped drill bits that have rotating edges but even they get dull and have to be changed out if the rock is hard that they are drilling through. Then once the bit is changed then they start all over attaching each section of pipe as they go down.

Once the hole is drilled then they have to put in the entire "casing pipe" which shores up the edges of the hole and keeps any dirt or rocks from falling back into the hole. That casing pipe is also in sections of length due to the length of the hole which is about 300 feet total depth.

Every time they screw on a new section of pipe it takes a little time. The workers can do it fast but still it takes a little time.

All these types of things add up to it taking longer than most people realize.

Here is a video that shows one being dug

26cf.svg

10 min. 19:23h-19:32h surface

26cf.svg
24 min. 19:56h-20:04h surface

26cf.svg
1h52m!

1f4aa.svg

Twitter

View attachment 165695
Sorry for my ignorance but are these images ? I can’t see to access them If they are . What do you mean with the times too?

Most people already know the status right now but for those that dont, here is the current status of the recovery efforts:

*The entire 2nd hole is already dug now and the large "casing pipe" is already in place

*They are lowering 2 man teams down the 2nd hole to the position to drill sideways

*They are beginning to now drill sideways to connect over to the well hole that the boy is stuck in.

*Once they are able to connect over sideways then they will be slightly underneath the clogged area.

*Its somewhat of a mystery right now if the boy is part of the actual clogged material or if he had fallen all the way to the bottom. They will be able to look up at the clogged area and will be able to look down to the bottom. So they will assess where they think he is and then take steps to retrieve him which may take some time depending on if they get a visual on the boy.

*The good news to me is that the distance from the clogged area to the very bottom of the boy's well is only about 50 feet down. So even if the boy fell all the way to the bottom I think they will be able to get him using a grabbing device of some sort and using a thick wire. If they see him on the bottom I think they will figure out a way to pull him up. If he is part of the clogged material then they will be able to get him too but that may be a tricky process since they will have to dig him out of the clogged material.
I have confidence the workers will do whatever it takes to get him out once they spot him.

Last edited:
Sorry for my ignorance but are these images ? I can’t see to access them If they are . What do you mean with the times too?

There was a bit of a technical snag with the post you saw. Here’s the re-post:

Something went wrong with copy/paste .... here it is again:

UPDATE #Totalan #Julen: There is not much to say, except that miners work is progress. I monitored the capsule location and it's interesting:

18:57h-19:13h surface
10 min.
19:23h-19:32h surface
24 min.
19:56h-20:04h surface
1h52m!
(Photo:
@gomezdcelis)
View attachment 165696

ETA: cleared up my errors.

Last edited:

There was a bit of a technical snag with the post you saw. Here’s the re-post:

ETA: cleared up my errors.

Thank you Lexi!

Yes Angleterre, those were (irrelevant) images that didn't copy over and somehow part of the text got lost too. Should've deleted that post entirely. Sorry for the confusion!

‘The miners started the descent first thing in the afternoon and started the gallery at 17.33 hours. The conditions of the land will determine the duration of the work. Microblasts are contemplated if the rock is hard. ’ @SURDirecto on Twitter

@Hatfield - a Twitter user posted a photo of a green laser that flashed at the camera during the live feed. Would that be a laser likely being used to mine the rock?

ETA: photo 26982DAF-F167-400F-A95E-E7C213F2C83A.png

Last edited:
Latest tweets from SUR en directo (@SURDirecto) on Twitter from last half an hour:

(translated)

After midnight, the miners continue digging the horizontal gallery until they reach the area where #Julen would be. The space between the well where the brigadistas and the child are is 4 meters.

The miners started the descent in the early afternoon and started the gallery at 17.33. The conditions of the terrain will determine the duration of the work. Microvoladuras are contemplated if the rock is hard.

The works of the miners have started well but the hardness of the terrain is marking the operation. As they have progressed in the excavation they have been asking for wood to prop up the horizontal gallery to #Julen.

‘The miners started the descent first thing in the afternoon and started the gallery at 17.33 hours. The conditions of the land will determine the duration of the work. Microblasts are contemplated if the rock is hard. ’ @SURDirecto on Twitter

@Hatfield - a Twitter user posted a photo of a green laser that flashed at the camera during the live feed. Would that be a laser likely being used to mine the rock?

ETA: photo View attachment 165741

Great question. I am almost certain the laser light is part of a "leveling tool" that the purpose is to keep a straight line. I actually have a lazer level in my garage that I use to shoot a lazer beam light along a wall.

Its only purpose is to keep a perfectly straight line. I am sure that is what they are using it for. To make sure they go in a straight direction as they drill. They will fix the lazer and shoot it at where they want to go and then never move it.

The "microblasts" they are referring to is part of the actual drilling sideways. What they mean there is they are considering using small explosives to help them speed up the drilling sideways. It sounds like they are hitting very hard rock to go sideways.

It is much harder to drill sideways than going down with the truck they had. When you go sideways you have nothing except hand tools basically like a Jackhammer or hydraulic wet drill that shoots a high speed volume of water at the rock. It is much slower than the drilling truck they used to go down.

If they use small explosives then they will set the charge in the rock and then have to get out of the hole before the explosion.

One hour ago:

Spanish news agency EFE indeed confirmed that the miners have already dug almost one meter. The miners need to build a tunnel with a length of 3.80 meters, so there are indeed approx 3 meters left to get to the bore hole where #Julen is. #Totalan

Twitter

If this is correct, along with 18:30 as the first descent time... that means they did 1 meter in 3 hours.

Latest tweets from SUR en directo (@SURDirecto) on Twitter from last half an hour:

(translated)

After midnight, the miners continue digging the horizontal gallery until they reach the area where #Julen would be. The space between the well where the brigadistas and the child are is 4 meters.

The miners started the descent in the early afternoon and started the gallery at 17.33. The conditions of the terrain will determine the duration of the work. Microvoladuras are contemplated if the rock is hard.

The works of the miners have started well but the hardness of the terrain is marking the operation. As they have progressed in the excavation they have been asking for wood to prop up the horizontal gallery to #Julen.

I found a different video of some other workers using a "microblast" explosion or "microvoladuras" to get through rock. This confirms they are considering using small explosions like this to help them get through the rock quicker if they need to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member