Trial Discussion Thread #53 - 14.12.9, Day 42 ~ final verdict~

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The lack of consideration for the victim and her family shown by his family is disgusting. It reminds me of this skeezy,slimeball attorney in Orlando who, upon receiving a not guilty verdict from the jury regarding his client had a big ole celebration party in open view of the stunned public. No names necessary because I am 100% certain you all know who I am referring to.

Sydney, Australia
http://www.smh.com.au/world/oscar-p...iller-but-not-a-murderer-20140912-10gbna.html

Oscar Pistorius is a convicted killer, but not a murderer

September 12, 2014 - 9:54PM
Lisa Davies
Senior Journalist

The guilty verdict for culpable homicide, akin to manslaughter in Australia, carries a maximum penalty of 15 years prison, but in reality he is likely to receive far less... Judge Thokozile Masipa also continued Pistorius' bail, rejecting the prosecution's claim that he might be a flight risk now he had been convicted of such a serious offence... She set aside three days for sentencing, beginning on October 13...

No not numerous and no, not all murderers get bail, far from it. It really depends on the judge. Some are slammed up immediately but it seems some with money manage to avoid it. I only posted three or four but as I have just posted I have more but did not post them as it seemed to provoke bad temper in one poster. I have no intention of doing that again.

I agree with you about the NPA. Get on with and let's get the proper sentence for that toad but I still don't think he will serve it. I hope I am wrong.

If you're referring to me, it didn't provoke a bad temper at all. I just took each one of your three cases individually and showed that they all had completely different reasons to be granted bail pending appeal, including witnesses admitting they lied/were bribed, one of the accused turned out to have tipped the police and if I remember correctly the third case you posted actually involved his bail denied three times.

And regarding this case, he's been found guilty of culpable homicide, not murder. It remains that murderers usually get their bail revoked. Posting a few irrelevant anomalies doesn't change that.

New York
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/13/w...rius-verdict-guilty-of-culpable-homicide.html

Oscar Pistorius Guilty of Culpable Homicide in Killing of Girlfriend
By SARAH LYALL and ALAN COWELLSEPT. 12, 2014

PRETORIA, South Africa — Oscar Pistorius ... was found guilty on Friday of culpable homicide, equivalent to manslaughter, after being acquitted of murder charges for killing his girlfriend... he was granted bail and will remain free, at least until a sentence is announced. Sentencing procedures are set to begin Oct. 13...

On the firearms charge: Fresco's testimony regarding the sunroof incident was found unreliable, but regarding the restaurant incident, Kevin Larena's testimony corroborated Fresco's, so the Judge accepted Fresco's testimony in that incident. She also stated that Fresco didn't appear to be biased against OP in the restaurant incident.

On the murder charge vs. the culpable homicide charge: The Judge applied the subjective test to the murder charge (that OP didn't foresee that his actions could result in someone's death. But she applied the objective reasonable person test to the culpable homicide charge (OP should have, but didn't, foresee that his actions could result in someone's death).

I don't agree with her reasoning, but that's my take on how she arrived at her verdict.

OP didn't foresee that his actions could result in someone's death

another useful pointer for an sa killer hoping to avoid a murder charge - tell the judge you didn't foresee killing anyone.

hard to know when dolus eventualis would ever be proven if this is the case.

btw, i agree her reasoning seems a bit wonky.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/13/w...rius-verdict-guilty-of-culpable-homicide.html

Oscar Pistorius Guilty of Culpable Homicide in Killing of Girlfriend
By SARAH LYALL and ALAN COWELLSEPT. 12, 2014

PRETORIA, South Africa — Oscar Pistorius ... was found guilty on Friday of culpable homicide, equivalent to manslaughter, after being acquitted of murder charges for killing his girlfriend... he was granted bail and will remain free, at least until a sentence is announced. Sentencing procedures are set to begin Oct. 13...

I can't see the Judge giving him any jail time at all. She seems determined to keep him out of any sort of confinement at all costs. Very disappointing, where is the justice in South Africa?

Just watching Sky.

Martin what's his name has just stated that OP has shown 'very clear remorse'. I must have missed that bit. I have seen a spoilt self obsessed man crying for himself and then making a huge show of mewling and puking to try and gain sympathy like some dreadful seven year old. Nothing spoke of genuine remorse or care for Reeva. Nothing.

It would bloody serve the court right if he got on a plane and went somewhere without an extradition treaty with SA. Not that I hope it happens, I hope against hope now for a decent custodial sentence.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

POWER987 News ‏@POWER987News 3m
#OscarPistorius Arnold: But the matter is still before the court and it will be highly inappropriate to make any further comments.

So then why'd you make this one? A BIG THANK YOU, seriously?

I can't see the Judge giving him any jail time at all. She seems determined to keep him out of any sort of confinement at all costs. Very disappointing, where is the justice in South Africa?

I suppose we'll now see if all those conspiracy theories about escape to mosambique etc come true...

Just watching Sky.

Martin what's his name has just stated that OP has shown 'very clear remorse'. I must have missed that bit. I have seen a spoilt self obsessed man crying for himself and then making a huge show of mewling and puking to try and gain sympathy like some dreadful seven year old. Nothing spoke of genuine remorse or care for Reeva. Nothing.

I really like Martin Brunt but when I heard him utter those words my jaw dropped.....where, please tell me , was the remorse for Reeva.....OP had plenty for himself but not a smidgen for Reeva that I have witnessed.

BBCNews Africa
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-29163688

Oscar Pistorius verdict reaction

The judge at Oscar Pistorius’ trial has found him guilty of culpable homicide (manslaughter)...The court accepted that the athlete had killed his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp by mistake... The court accepted that the athlete had killed his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp by mistake...

I suppose we'll now see if all those conspiracy theories about escape to mosambique etc come true...

Well, they won't because they won't need to come true, seeing as it's highly unlikely that he will be serving any sentence at all, and he knows that. It would be a different story if there was any chance of proper sentencing though, and you can bet your life he'd be off like a shot! It's never going to come to that though, is it.

It really is a shame that it turned out that this case was presided over by a weak judge, a judge who just didn't have the bottle to apply the correct ruling,what a gutless pathetic judgement this was.

Hello Exchange973.

Now that we know the Judge's priorities, I don't think OP has anything much to fear by staying put in South Africa.

I asked earlier if there was anyone who could explain the finding that it was not reasonable to infer that OP must have known there was a possibility that he might kill the person behind the door.

Do you agree with this finding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members