GUILTY TX - Ethan Couch 'Affluenza Teen' DUI driver who killed four gets probation, 2013 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
National News

[h=1]The Latest: Texas 'affluenza' teen jailed for nearly 2 years
[/h] Posted 29 minutes ago

State District Judge Wayne Salvant said Wednesday that Ethan Couch must spend 180 days in jail for each of the four people he killed in 2013 when he rammed a pickup truck into a crowd of people helping a motorist. The sentences will be served consecutively.

Read more at http://www.wral.com/the-latest-texa...-nearly-2-years/15639717/#duslhS7QSiFYtlF1.99

Yessssssssssssssssssss! :D

Another interesting thing I noticed in the article I linked above http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/judge-affluenza-teen-ethan-couch-you-re-not-getting-out-n555366

"Wednesday's hearing was his first appearance in adult court. Couch showed up with long hair and a beard, wearing a red jumpsuit. His mother Tonya watched from the gallery"

So his mom Tonya was there at court today? I wonder how she managed that? I thought she was on house arrest and was only allowed out for her own approved appointments relating to her own case not Ethan's?

Yeah, I don't like the sounds of this quote by the judge, "Nothing I do is in stone, so I might reconsider," Salvant said. The case reconvenes in two weeks.
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/judge-affluenza-teen-ethan-couch-you-re-not-getting-out-n555366

So don't get too excited yet folks, the judge might change his mind in two weeks. Let's hope he doesn't but when it comes to the Couch's - you just never, ever know what will happen next.

I watched the hearing. He didn't seem especially sympathetic to the lawyer's arguments at all. I don't think he will reduce it by much if at all. He went through the arguments but didn't change the wording on the papers he had in front of him. I think it might just be what is done so that things are not appealed so quickly. I think it gives a cooling off period for EC's lawyers so they can assess what a worse case scenario might be and/or see if they can find legal precedent that would sway the judge. All attorneys agreed that this is a unique hybrid case though so I don't think there will be much precedent.

View attachment 91879

Ethan arriving in the courtroom. I don't understand how his hair is still so dark? Are they letting him dye his hair in jail?

He will NOT be getting out of jail today! He will remain in the county jail until judge determines if he'll impose additional jail time.
@CBSDFW

I think that must be his natural hair color, and maybe he was bleaching it before.

Does his ten year probation start over then?

Regarding the color of EC's hair, it must look quite different in different lighting ( or photo editing?) This pic is from the beginning of the video of the hearing and his hair looks much lighter than when he was walking into court today.

http://www.wsmv.com/story/31713679/judge-orders-texas-affluenza-teen-to-nearly-2-years-jail

Lighter due to the lighting, but not light enough to be the blonde he was at 16. His hair is still dramatically darker than those photos. I wouldn't think dye would last that long...

Does anyone know if Ethan's jail time is to continue in solitary confinement in Tarrant Co. jail or will he have to serve time in the state penn with the really bad guys?

NC still has the attitude look IMO. I wonder if he and mom looked at each other. Is she allowed any contact with him?

Does anyone know if Ethan's jail time is to continue in solitary confinement in Tarrant Co. jail or will he have to serve time in the state penn with the really bad guys?

Judge should have given him 20 years. IMO he deserves it!!!

Agreed, Isabelle. Six months per person is "cheap," IMO. I don't think 2yrs is enuff time for someone like EC to settle in and really think about how much his decisions and actions on that night have changed the lives of so many people, both living and deceased. Twenty years, with work assignments in laundry, floor mopping, cafeteria clean-up, etc., etc., would help him realize what the real world is all about. Two years will go by in a flash. SMH.

Another interesting thing I noticed in the article I linked above http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/judge-affluenza-teen-ethan-couch-you-re-not-getting-out-n555366

"Wednesday's hearing was his first appearance in adult court. Couch showed up with long hair and a beard, wearing a red jumpsuit. His mother Tonya watched from the gallery"

So his mom Tonya was there at court today? I wonder how she managed that? I thought she was on house arrest and was only allowed out for her own approved appointments relating to her own case not Ethan's?

Interesting.
I just had another look at that article and I see they have now changed it to say his mom was not there.
"Wednesday's hearing was his first appearance in adult court. Couch showed up with long hair and a beard, wearing a red jumpsuit. His mother Tonya was not in court"

I wonder when that was changed?

Another question is where is Ethan's dad - Fred Couch? He was at Ethan's last court date and there were pictures of him everywhere arriving to court etc.
This time there is no mention of him at all anywhere that I can see. Whatever happened to that court date he was supposed to have in March for impersonating a police officer?

No. It would be probation less time already spent on probation. His probation was probably suspended at the point that the arrest warrant was issued.

So it'll be 10 years minus.....what, 2...2.5 years (that's a complete estimate).

That's what normally happens anyway.

For those who missed it live.

[video=youtube;SMMls5M7dvs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMMls5M7dvs[/video]

Why have a gag order and allow live feed?

ETA The court system moving like a well oiled machine this morning, I see. :gaah:

The live feed is allowed because it is an open court. The gag order is in place to ensure a fair trial for his mother, in case she is indicted.

I don’t believe so. That is the sentence that was already imposed on him. I don’t think it can be changed now, even if the law allowed for a longer sentence. That would be double jeopardy.

The judge ordered him to stay in the county jail.

Did the judge just give him 4 consecutive 180-day sentences? That's what I heard. Nice!
Nothing else determined at this point.

If he'd have gotten that sentence, it would have saved a lot of time, effort and money.
MOO

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bella257