Found Deceased UK - Nicola Bulley Last Seen Walking Dog Near River - St Michaels on Wyre (Lancashire) #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would the police really have full access to all her social media accounts?
Surely there is still the right to privacy?

Going missing shouldn't give the police the right to have full and unfettered access to everything.
They do get full access. The missing lad in the bin, even had his swingers accounts looked at, which got leaked.

Nicola could have tied Willow up to the bench while Nicola walked to a different part of the river (or she could have gone in there since it has a sign saying deep hole... sounds logical). After Nicola had gone into/under the water, Willow would be confused as to where she had gone. She could have gotten free from the bench/harness and just wandered around maybe thinking Nicola would come back. I still don't believe she'd jump into the water imo.

<modsnip - quoted post & response to it removed>

Taking photos from social media: What news publishers need to know

Press regulators’ guidance​

Guidance on journalists’ use of social media from the Independent Press Standards Organisation, the UK’s largest press regulator, says: “Journalists are normally allowed to publish photos, comments and information from social media profiles, forums or blogs if there are no privacy settings protecting them and they do not show anything private.”

However it adds “we cannot help with or advise on legal issues” relating to copyright.

Could the courts get involved?​

Although someone whose photo has been taken without permission could take a claim against a publisher to court, this is rare as the legal costs stop it being worthwhile.

A news agency boss, who asked to remain anonymous but whose company is accredited with the National Association of Press Agencies, told Press Gazette the only people who generally complain are those who don’t want a story published at all.

“If somebody makes a fuss we will offer them the fee that we get from the newspaper which is typically around £25 at most for a picture online,” they said.

“But if they want more, we are happy to go to court – although nobody has ever bothered.”

Ethically, it is up to each journalist and editor to decide whether taking a picture intended for one public medium by the owner and using it elsewhere without permission is right. But if the social media user has published in the first instance to the public web (rather than to a select group of followers) it cannot be said to be a breach of privacy.

Last edited by a moderator:
NB Facebook I think is now private. There are 2 posts visible. 1 from September 22 and 1 from August 21. Only 1 pic too. At least it’s done now.
Her work one is still public and has her pictures on it. I think some of her likes and following have been deleted though but most are still there.

They do get full access. The missing lad in the bin, even had his swingers accounts looked at, which got leaked.
I do find it odd they get full access in a missing persons case with no obvious criminal aspect involved...which is what they said Nicola's case is.
I'm for personal freedoms, and adults have the right to disappear if they want to. And I don't think unless there is a potential criminal aspect, that police should have the right to wade through your online accounts.
IMHO.

PA contacted the police straight away not 2 hours later.
I think the confusion about a possible delay in reporting Nicola’s disappearance is associated with conflicting information about when her dog and phone were found, as well as precisely when that finding was reported to police. The reporting of the dog and phone may have triggered a sense of urgency regarding Nicola’s disappearance because it is odd on its face. The woman that found Willow and the phone stated to the media that she had an appointment she had to rush to - hence the greater likelihood of a delay stemming from that.

I do find it odd they get full access in a missing persons case with no obvious criminal aspect involved...which is what they said Nicola's case is.
I'm for personal freedoms, and adults have the right to disappear if they want to. And I don't think unless there is a potential criminal aspect, that police should have the right to wade through your online accounts.
IMHO.
If it's high risk and there is a potential threat to life I can kind of see why. It is intrusive but if it stops some people dying...

JMO

Lots of speculation on here about a possible domestic assault on 10/01. The police went out on a concern for welfare call and state no one was arrested. Had there been DV involved there would have been an arrest that day. I work for a police force and that is routine for a DA case. The fact there wasn’t means it was genuinely a concern for welfare/MH episode/suicide attempt. A PPN (safeguarding) referral would have been done at the scene which gets sent to GP, school and CSD if children are involved.
<bbm>
Perhaps it was because the school had been made aware of these issues that they immediately contacted PA after hearing from the witness who reported finding Willow & the phone. School staff would have realised this might be an emergency.

It is prudent, IMO, to point out that MPs have the ability to confirm to LEs that they are fine and do not wish to return. LEs are then bound, IMO, from my understanding from asking an officer, to respect that wish.

In such a high profile case as this has been, the Police could not just simply call off the search. They would, IMO, have change the narrative to a narrative that would, perhaps, open up a wider possibility that she had left of her own volition. It is not therefore beyond realms of possibility that it is NB that has agreed to the release of today's information, given that the Police had to say something.
Surely they would just say the missing person had been located? No need to continue the search at that point: going missing isn't a crime.

If it's high risk and there is a potential threat to life I can kind of see why. It is intrusive but if it stops some people dying...

JMO
Stops people dying? That very rarely happens, and quite often it doesn't help solve cases at all.
I wish the UK privacy rules were more robust, like in France and the USA.

Don't Police routinely use Sniffer Dogs in these kinds of situations? Perhaps they did and know that her scent was only on the path they all know she was on, then down to the river.
The presser either the one before last or the one before mentioned land and water specific sniffer dogs - I think with no useful outcome revealed

Surely they would just say the missing person had been located? No need to continue the search at that point: going missing isn't a crime.
Exactly!
But you'd think it is the way the police and the media are carrying on.
The police said very early on they don't think there is a criminal element to this case.......yet they're still desperately trying to find her. I don't know how much of that is for the public's sake, to stop further criticism.
But at some point, th searches will have to stop.
It is a missing persons case only. There must have been millions spent trying to find her already.

Don't Police routinely use Sniffer Dogs in these kinds of situations? Perhaps they did and know that her scent was only on the path they all know she was on, then down to the river.
The presser either the one before last or the one before mentioned land and water specific sniffer dogs - I think with no useful outcome revealed

Exactly!
But you'd think it is the way the police and the media are carrying on.
The police said very early on they don't think there is a criminal element to this case.......yet they're still desperately trying to find her. I don't know how much of that is for the public's sake, to stop further criticism.
But at some point, th searches will have to stop.
It is a missing persons case only. There must have been millions spent trying to find her already.
In the presser today they said about reviewing the case & scaling back resources soon .

...and both were called to their house on the 10th January.
This was posted in reply to @tedtink, who said:
They don't usually turn up together IMO unless an ambulance and Police are both called.
(Sorry I can't re-format the double quote more clearly)

I don't think an ambulance was called. The police press release says it was 'a response car staffed by both police and health professionals' that attended their home on 10th Jan.

UK - Nicola Bulley, St Michaels on Wyre (Lancashire), Jan 27, 2023 *MEDIA, MAPS, & TIMELINES - NO DISCUSSION*

Last edited:
Taking the dog with her and also being on a work call don't really suggest premeditation of going in to the water voluntarily to me, MOO.
But they fit well to me.
Taking the children to school then the dog for a walk are normal reasons to leave the house and be out in the countryside by the river without anyone asking questions or seeing anything out of the ordinary.
Ditto logging on to the work call means that work would note your presence at 9.01am and still logged on at 9.30, hence not speaking and not on camera - so she did not need to be present, leave the phone by the bench, so no-one would be worried,
This suggests to me a logical thought out plan from someone who did not want to be stopped or found.
And I don't think the dog was overlooked at all as has been suggested by other posters, phone and dog by the bench where they would both be found and easily identified, plenty of people walking in that area, just time to walk away and out of sight ?

I wonder if they’ve consulted a second opinion on their interpretation of the evidence yet

Nicola Bulley police 'may have breached national guidelines' by not drafting in another force

A former Police and Crime Commissioner said Lancashire Police appear to have failed to conduct a peer review in the missing Nicola Bulley case.

Martyn Underhill said the force could be in breach of national policing guidelines. The ex-Dorset PCC said in a case such as this it is recommended a second constabulary be brought in for a review within seven days

Mr Underhill said, from the outside, it appears they may have made "operational mistakes", including quickly moving to the hypothesis that it was an accident. He explained there are several scenarios as to what might have happened to Nicola and her inadvertently falling in the river is just one.

Even if he did, what could be do? Unless you present in an utter crisis you're handed some anti depressants, put on a waiting list for a "CBT" course which for anything complex is like attempting to stop an arterial bleed with a plaster. If you're  lucky and they realise how bad you are you're on a waiting list for a CMHT assessment that could be months. If you're actually in a crisis and assessed to be in imminent danger you get sent someone round every couple of days for a while (typically a different person every time) who asks some generic questions each time and suggests you have a bath. Failing that it's hospitalisation which is just a holding pen unless you spend any real time there.

That is my real life experience.
So true. Don't forget the 10 minute walk. That'll fix anything....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1