VERDICT WATCH - Sentencing of Jodi Arias - Retrial Day 44

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are we really sure about that?

At least to me, that doesn't sound accurate (as much as I would love that to be the case!)

At least in courts I have sat in (sitting on one jury, and observing others) - when the jury sends a question to the Court and he/she can't answer...the judge responds back and says something that amounts to, "you must read the instructions as written and determine the meaning yourself" - meaning they must interpret themselves.

Why would she have to read the modified instructions for impass, and Nurmi object and ask for a mistrial over just clarification of 5 and 6?

I dunno! Just seems odd.............as this whole tweet trial has been!

I agree with you...no reason to issue a modified impasse statement if they didn't say they were in that situation.

And that's IF and only IF the judge sentenced her to LWP, which I do not believe she will and neither does AZLawyer. Arias' only way out of prison will be in a bodybag.
I wonder if her bodybag is issued to her at inception...

No parole board. It's a clemency board and the standards are far higher than with parole. Most say she won't make it.

Okay so see? I don't see JSS giving her parole chance of any kind. I don't think JSS is a bad judge. I think she will make sure that this one never gets out.

Weren't #5 & #6 juror questions that the judge would not read out loud? Maybe it's those they were questioning again and not mitigating factors as some have been speculating? Hope so!!

Jodi will be 35 in July. If she were given LWP with time-served, she could be out of prison at age 53. Plenty of living left for Ms. Jodi and plenty of time to kill again :eek:

could that be reduced even further with like good behavior etc? IDK Just asking I've heard of people getting out early due to good behavior and things so just wondering.

I wish JSS would take note;

“You know what the Founding Fathers said about the trials and being open: They ought to be held in front of as many people as would choose to attend,” said U.S. Sen. Charles Grassley, of Iowa.

For the last 13 years Grassley has been filing “sunshine in the courtroom” bills in the Senate. He’s the ranking Republican on the Judiciary Committee and wants cameras in courtrooms. Significantly, he’s in line to become chairman if the Democrats lose the Senate in November.

Grassley likes to quote a certain Supreme Court ruling. Grassley said, “Quote: ‘A trial is a public event. And what transpires in a courtroom is public property.’ ” Unquote, and therefore: “It’s going to be more public property if it’s televised.”

http://www.wbur.org/2014/06/04/cameras-federal-courtroom

----
Think about those that seek transparency in our justice system the next time you're in the voting booth.

This awesome post by Radar deserves a bump :rockon:. Thank you for reminding us that there are still lawmakers/representatives who fight to ensure that secrecy in American Trials will not be permitted.

Am I correct when I say that DP is not their only choice. They have LWOP and LWP. So if they can't give her DP what is their problem with one of the others. Are they confused and think DP is their only choice or am I confused?
Jurors decision is death or life. If they do Life, JSS decides between natural life or life with possibility of release.

So now it's a conspiracy? :facepalm:

Please explain how a judge that wants to "bomb" a trial would allow a defendant to receive the harshest conviction one can: Guilty of 1st degree murder and eligible for a jury to consider the DP.

:facepalm:

:goodpost:

FWIW (which isn't much) those who say JSS is another member of the defense team sound as nutty as those on other websites who say the opposite. She has shown no bias. Extreme caution, yes—but hopefully we will be glad when all appeals are slapped down lightning fast.

I baked a picnic pot roast during the night 1 night and tossed n turned all night long!! I also am a aardvark...so there IS that lol ��

Nice to see you again, Cherry!

I enjoy your company but I'm not sure I want to follow another American case. I have only watched three - OJ, Anthony, and this one, so you can see where I'm coming from.;)

Same three for me. Changes how you look at justice huh? I could have given death on all three without any doubt in my heart. Let's hope justice happens....

I really think people are scaring themselves and for no good reason.

Do any of you have proof that JSS has been lenient and sentenced someone to LWP in a case that was 1st degree murder? Besides imagination and fear around all the "what if's", what evidence exists that JSS has done this before?

Although extremely remote what concerns me is JSS's judgment in this case. She has not made very wise decisions concerning this case. So I'm not sure what's going on with her but even though I think the chance of JSS giving Jodi LWP are extremely remote I don't like that it's even an option with her judgment track record. And considering how dangerous Jodi any chance at all even if it's remote of her being let go one day is a pretty terrifying prospect. In fact honestly just get being given life and the chance at her getting a job in prison where she could have the chance at harming other prisoners or guards is pretty terrifying.

I have to agree. I think people are so emotional about this case, and so hateful towards JA, they are just being dramatic about the outcome because they are worried about the worst case scenario.
To me JA was caught, She was convicted, She will spend the rest of her life in prison, NOT JAIL, no matter what comes from the Jury.

Yep and yep. I think the dramatics come from the level of emotion & hatred that has been shared and egged on to a fever pitch. It's not about ensuring free society is safe, it's all about vengeance. Arias seems to represent something far beyond her crime for some people. If I were a psychology student I would use this case and the reactions around it as a subject for a paper.

could that be reduced even further with like good behavior etc? IDK Just asking I've heard of people getting out early due to good behavior and things so just wondering.

My understanding is not for a life sentence in AZ...you have to serve 25 years before you can go before this clemency board.

All I know is yesterday was really bizarre, the meeting in the hallway plus an hour wait, then the jury wasn't back from lunch so she couldn't give them a modified Allen statement. If it was just a question or two and the answer was we can't give you that, you have to find it yourself.

Why all the craziness?

I'll be back for the Cooper Harris case when it comes up.

I want to watch this, too. That little guy suffered so much while he was trapped in his daddy's hot car. There's no way Josh forgot Cooper was in the car when Chick-fil-a was so close.

William Pitts ‏@william_pitts · 1h1 hour ago
Btw I was told yesterday that Judge Stephens has up to 45 days to sentence #jodiarias if jury is hung.

Tammy Rose ‏@News20Chopper · 3m3 minutes ago
If it's deadlocked, it could take up to 90 days for a sentence. #JodiArias

Tammy Rose ‏@News20Chopper · 1m1 minute ago
Defense could ask for a mitigation hearing before sentencing where #JodiArias' family could speak as well as Alexanders.
----

AZL - please, which one is it, 45 or 90 days?

And that's IF and only IF the judge sentenced her to LWP, which I do not believe she will and neither does AZLawyer. Arias' only way out of prison will be in a bodybag.
I think with all the time the judge has spent in chambers, up close and personal with this killer, I don't think she would ever give her a chance at freedom. :moo:

I don't believe the rumor that the jury wanted clarification on mitigating factors #5 and #6. I think they asked two questions which would have been number 5 and number 6 because they had already asked 4 questions last week.

This wouldn't be a problem if everything wasn't a secret in that courtroom.

Agreed that if JSS would open her courtroom there would be no confusion. Pisses me off she does everything in secret

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thamert.ellie