Welcome To Websleuths # 3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lilibet, you could try spliting up your keyboard when your posts get too long and you can no longer see what you type. I don't know if it will help much, but maybe it is worth the try.
I do it like this: I simultaneously tap the F key with my left thumb, the H key with the right one, and while holding, I move them horizontally towards the exterior of the screen, like literally trying to split the screen in two. The keyboard splits into two parts, each quite a bit smaller, but the typing area becomes more visible. When you are done, you do the opposite motion and it comes back to full size. HTH.

I will definitely try that and hope my finger tips don’t make more typos than usual on the smaller typing area. :) Thanks!

I have been having problems all day. The forum is running slow and I keep getting 503 errors. I cannot edit any of my posts either. I've tried using my desktop (Chrome) and my Ipad (Safari) to access and neither was a success.

I’m using an iPad Pro and safari as well, most recent IOS updates. Maybe this will be helpful because it works for me, hopefully it might for you too.
Go to Settings > Safari
> Clear History and Website Date (cookies) “clear” (or alternately, through the advanced tab you can choose to clear Websleuths cookies only).
Come back to Websleuths but don’t sign in just yet.
Maybe you see a yellow banner at the bottom of your screen “This site uses cookies to improve your user experience......” click “accept”. Then sign in. I noticed if I don’t accept cookies as a guest, I don’t get a second chance and by not “accepting” cookies on the bottom banner, my browser runs slower than molasses in January.

Every click takes ~20 seconds to get anywhere.

You must have missed the post about what is going on

WS AdminAdministratorStaff MemberAdministrator
Let me explain, hopefully in very simple terms what is going on and why it is not back to 100% yet.

First off traffic has nearly doubled in the last couple of weeks. While the server is a beast and can certainly handle the increased traffic, it cannot do so "out of the box". things must be "tuned up" to handle this. Now I know you are thinking "well tune the damn thing up and let us move forward", it is not that simple.

In order to find out what changes are beneficial and which are not, these changes must be made 1 at a time. Once a change is made I must restart the database (knocking WS offline for a bit). Once the database restarts it is suggested to let it run untouched for 48 hours. I feel 24 is ok to give me a general idea for now and can proceed with step 2 after this period. Later when things are really close I will let it run for 48 hours just to get the fine fine fine detailing done. during this waiting time (after rebooting the database) it takes time for things to settle, things will not be running at their best. In other words I have to go offline for a bit, followed by a slow down period just in order to speed things up. Then, the next day I make another change and start the process over. This entire process can take from a couple of weeks to a couple of months to get perfected.

Know that we are aware and working on the problem. you can expect small improvements on a daily basis. While I understand your frustrations, there is not a need to repeat the issue in this thread, it is already being worked on.

I’m using an iPad Pro and safari as well, most recent IOS updates. Maybe this will be helpful because it works for me, hopefully it might for you too.
Go to Settings > Safari
> Clear History and Website Date (cookies) “clear” (or alternately, through the advanced tab you can choose to clear Websleuths cookies only).
Come back to Websleuths but don’t sign in just yet.
Maybe you see a yellow banner at the bottom of your screen “This site uses cookies to improve your user experience......” click “accept”. Then sign in. I noticed if I don’t accept cookies as a guest, I don’t get a second chance and by not “accepting” cookies on the bottom banner, my browser runs slower than molasses in January.

So perhaps guests aren't accepting cookies.

I will definitely try that and hope my finger tips don’t make more typos than usual on the smaller typing area. :) Thanks!
I also found there is a way to move the keyboard up to the center of the screen without having to split it. I cannot find a way to move it all the way to the top but this way at least the keyboard doesn't shrink.

How to split and move the keyboard on your iPad

This does not mean you will not see slow downs. Heck, pageviews are up 29% just since yesterday.

This also does not mean I am done making adjustments. There is a lot to do, it will take at least a couple of weeks.
Have you done this sort of thing before? Transition a forum to another server? Such a huge task! Nine weeks and counting, I see. Thanks!

I also found there is a way to move the keyboard up to the center of the screen without having to split it. I cannot find a way to move it all the way to the top but this way at least the keyboard doesn't shrink.

How to split and move the keyboard on your iPad

Thanks! I ended up going to settings and checking the “split keyboard” box. That allows me to press the small keyboard in the lower right corner and tap “undock” to move it halfway up the screen and keep it full size. I can also split it, but that slows down my typing too much while my old brain calculates where each letter is. o_O But it will come in handy when my screen has the jitters!

Reactions: byo
@WS Admin May I ask what is probably a really naive and stupid question? Since each change/tweak will take a couple of days before you know if it's successful, and because users are frustrated and to prevent exodus in the process, what if you were to make some drastic changes all at once, and then go back and add them back in one by one to try to identify the culprit?

For example - kill the video ads and all of the sidebar links/clutter, as those are items that have been suggested as potential causes. See if things change. If they do, then add the links and ad sources back in individually to see which one was causing the problem.

When my husband was dealing with some significant food intolerance issues, this is what he did. He eliminated all foods that were suspected culprits. Then he added them back in one by one to see if they bothered him. It just made a lot more sense to be feeling good during the experimental phase than to continue to be sick and hope he guessed right.

Does that make sense? Again, my apologies for such a simplistic idea in what I'm sure is a significantly complicated situation.

Still getting "you do not have permission... " messages when revisiting older threads. Sometimes I can only access the last thread; others I can read several threads, then get stopped by that message.
Thanks for your help & hard work!

I’ve been having problems with the site being super slower than usual. It takes forever to load a page and double posting. I get logged out and then get an error message.

That is maddening. On the other side for me today has been fast and mostly good. I was tossed out and received the error messages, but assumed that was Dave making adjustments/improvements.
I wonder if accepting java, cookies and allowing WS pop ups may be a great help at least here. Also, accept cookies on the WS login screen. Maybe that’s worth a try. Just a guess. It works for me anyway.

Last edited:
There is a history with old WS entry and reply screens. I had that problem and Some more did too. We discovered that we were all using internet explorer. Most others using it had no problem. They were fine, but we had to change browsers. Another browser cured us immediately. Before that I could barely post for it jumping around so badly. It could be worth trying other browsers. I don’t claim to understand the problem. Just relieved when it resolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
podreal