Where will the jury come from?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Could it be possible that Judge Perry is getting ready to pull a "fast one" on the group?
Even though the change of venue/jury selection has been granted, could it be a possibility that he will try to "seat the jury" from Orlando to begin with??

No one in the Orlando area that gets summons for that time period would expect their call to duty would actually be for this case, all of the attorneys could be there within the hour time frame that Judge Perry told them again today, and as far as hotel rooms being under $50, they all would be able to stay at home.

IF the jury can't be agreed upon, THEN, take it someplace that he has already done his research on??

Thoughts???

I think that is a very big possibility. In fact....did he not state today that they were doing it a bit backwards?

Either that...or the secret location is very close to Orlando and either way...there wouldn't be a disruption if they had to change locations.

Additionally, I wondered about the possibility that jurors would be brought to Orlando for jury selection from outside.

The very fact the JB asked about how the jury summons would be delivered and then asked whether there would be any indication on the summons that the juror would have to plan to be sequestered 2 months.....makes me think that JB planned to make some calls to see if any jury notices with odd instructions had been mailed...OR to inquire about certified jury summons.

A while back the st. of Fl used to send out jury notices via cert mail....it became cost prohibitive so they started using regular first class mail and sending them to larger pools.

HHJP is very clever and quite the little planner.

I think that is a very big possibility. In fact....did he not state today that they were doing it a bit backwards?

Either that...or the secret location is very close to Orlando and either way...there wouldn't be a disruption if they had to change locations.

Additionally, I wondered about the possibility that jurors would be brought to Orlando for jury selection from outside.

The very fact the JB asked about how the jury summons would be delivered and then asked whether there would be any indication on the summons that the juror would have to plan to be sequestered 2 months.....makes me think that JB planned to make some calls to see if any jury notices with odd instructions had been mailed...OR to inquire about certified jury summons.

A while back the st. of Fl used to send out jury notices via cert mail....it became cost prohibitive so they started using regular first class mail and sending them to larger pools.

HHJP is very clever and quite the little planner.

Really! It's sounding like this is more of a possibility all of the time. . . I keep thinking about the short driving time that HHJP implied. Leaving at 8am and you'll be there in time? Gosh, can't you drive for 40 minutes in Orlando and still be in it or it's outskirts? (Ask JB's newest lawyer!) The only thing I feel confident about is that I'm totally confused. :confused:

Quoting myself to add what Judge Perry said today about hotels begin VERY CHEAP at the location where they will select a Jury and that if they find a hotel room that is over $50 per night then they will have a problem and that as long as they leave by 8am that morning they will be fine.
Start at the 9:50 mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl0MNzjiJA4

On top of HHJP's remark about leaving at 8:00 a.m., when Baez was whining about the media, he also said, “I’m doing everything I can, including to the disdain of some media outlets, not letting them know unless they sign a confidentiality agreement of the location. Those who do not sign it will find out at 8 a.m., an hour before jury selection.”

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/en...tvguy+(TV+Guy)&utm_content=Google+Feedfetcher

So those comments combined would lead one to believe that jury selection will begin at 9:00 a.m., and leaving at 8:00 a.m. would provide sufficient time to arrive at the "secret" location. So it must be pretty close if it will take less than an hour to get to the location and get into the courthouse and get settled.

Hmmmmm..... curiouser and curiouser.... :waitasec:

I had mentioned Pasco County back when this topic first came up, now I am beginning to think it could be the place.

Anyone remember the Vampire Killer's trial back around mid-late 90's that happened in Leesburg/Lake County FL area? Lake County is adjacent to Orange County but due to the high profile and media coverage they went outside the county over to Pasco County to get a jury. That jury was then brought back to Lake County for the trial.

Pasco County is directly west of Orlando 3 counties over, above the Tampa area. County Seat there is Dade City. According to mapquest it is about 70 miles or 80 mins away from downtown Orlando. Kind of rural area with no local media that I could find in the whole county. Must get their news out of the Tampa area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasco_County,_Florida

http://mapq.st/fay58p

Not a lot of hotels to choose from in the area but they are rather cheap.....$44-$109

http://travela.priceline.com/cheap-...a-FL-tk-c286660-hl.hotel-reviews-hotel-guides

Pasco is saturated with news stations, especially Bay News 9 out of St. Petersburg. I was living in Dade City in 2008 when the story hit the news. It also gets news out of Tampa. Dade City wouldn't be a bad choice if it weren't for the new coverage there.

Respectively snipped. I believe the $50.00 dollars a day is if JB wants more people to attend than what is allocated. The main courthouse in Brevard County is right off Interstate 95, takes about an hour to get to Orlando from there, and the web had a hotel for $49.00 off the interstate. There aren't any independent news stations, though we get NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX and local 13. I think it may be in Brevard County. MOO.

I'm thinking the same thing ScubaTwinn. The Viera Courthouse here in Viera/Suntree area. Right off I-95 and a straight shot over from Orlando on the Beeline. Aprrox. an hour drive.....although my first thoughts were in Polk County in Bartow, Fl. about an hour from Orlando. That Courthouse has 9floors. When HHJP mentions "up there" to check out to see if the technology improvements were completed, I didn't know if he meant "up there" as in courthouse floors or "up there" meaning North in Fl. since he seems so guarded about not divulging the location, but you never know. Viera doesn't have that many floors but, Polk County does and would fall in that approx. one hour travel time.

Well, I would at a $50 hotel!

There are hotels that under these circumstances will sell a "block" of rooms at a discounted rate for an indeterminate but approximate time period. The $50.00 rate is highly attainable in the more remote areas with no frills (as in not near the tourist traps) and can be quite clean and comfortable.

I don't know what everyone else has said about the location, but I'm just going to throw out that I think it's going to be DeLand...

Other clues that I heard is that the technology is different at this location, the Defense may want to check it out but ... there is construction although that may be finished by now and ... it is north.

I think the judge is referring to the bigger courtroom in the courthouse there in Orlando, where he normally presides. From what I understand that courtroom is undergoing remodeling, installing many technologies now available in a courtroom. The hearings we're seeing have been taking place in a smaller courtroom until the larger courtroom is done. The trial will be held in the remodeled courtroom.

I think the judge is referring to the bigger courtroom in the courthouse there in Orlando, where he normally presides. From what I understand that courtroom is undergoing remodeling, installing many technologies now available in a courtroom. The hearings we're seeing have been taking place in a smaller courtroom until the larger courtroom is done. The trial will be held in the remodeled courtroom.

Leila, you're probably right. So simple it's right there under our noses. Sounds like HHJP is determined to keep control on the over-zealous reporting if he can help it and what better place to do that than in your own backyard.

Pasco is saturated with news stations, especially Bay News 9 out of St. Petersburg. I was living in Dade City in 2008 when the story hit the news. It also gets news out of Tampa. Dade City wouldn't be a bad choice if it weren't for the new coverage there.

But I would imagine that the Tampa news coverage of this story isn't quite as intense as the Orlando stations are.

Most of the counties on the east coast of Central FL gets their news from the Orlando stations so I think if it is going to be close to Orlando they are going to have to go to west side of the state.

Just my opinion on this day....could change again tomorrow.

I'm thinking the same thing ScubaTwinn. The Viera Courthouse here in Viera/Suntree area. Right off I-95 and a straight shot over from Orlando on the Beeline. Aprrox. an hour drive.....although my first thoughts were in Polk County in Bartow, Fl. about an hour from Orlando. That Courthouse has 9floors. When HHJP mentions "up there" to check out to see if the technology improvements were completed, I didn't know if he meant "up there" as in courthouse floors or "up there" meaning North in Fl. since he seems so guarded about not divulging the location, but you never know. Viera doesn't have that many floors but, Polk County does and would fall in that approx. one hour travel time.

as long as it's Bartow FL & not BARTOW GA I'm good! :woohoo:

Wherever it is, I am assuming, since he said it has less tv stations, and less high profile media, that it is going to be more rural, less big-city, and probably MORE CONSERVATIVE.

I can see why Baez is so nervous about this aspect of the trial. He is much safer with a jury full of urban, young, non-parents that are used to seeing people partying in the clubs.

By moving out of the urban sprawl he is going to be left with the local rural folk. I think they will be much less sympathetic to Casey and her stories. They are going to really dislike her. And there will be some Hispanics who will be sympathetic to Baez's story of being one of the first high profile Hispanic attorney's [ like JVM always reminds us]---
but even then, they will be parents, and they will not be able to understand the 31 days.

I had mentioned Pasco County back when this topic first came up, now I am beginning to think it could be the place.

Anyone remember the Vampire Killer's trial back around mid-late 90's that happened in Leesburg/Lake County FL area? Lake County is adjacent to Orange County but due to the high profile and media coverage they went outside the county over to Pasco County to get a jury. That jury was then brought back to Lake County for the trial.

Pasco County is directly west of Orlando 3 counties over, above the Tampa area. County Seat there is Dade City. According to mapquest it is about 70 miles or 80 mins away from downtown Orlando. Kind of rural area with no local media that I could find in the whole county. Must get their news out of the Tampa area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasco_County,_Florida

http://mapq.st/fay58p

Not a lot of hotels to choose from in the area but they are rather cheap.....$44-$109

http://travela.priceline.com/cheap-...a-FL-tk-c286660-hl.hotel-reviews-hotel-guides

My MIL lives in Pasco County, it's about 1 1/2 hours away from Orlando, (with no traffic thwarts)..

Most there have no clue who ICA is, let alone what's she's accused of...

I wanted so much to be in Florida for this trial so I could attend....

His Honor is doing everything possible to keep this location secret, so I do hope he doesn't have to go back to Orlando to seat a jury. This way, ICA has no appeals issues on jury selections..His Honor has been very fair and balanced with the DT...

I just don't understand why ICA is going for broke...I only wonder if after a jury is seated, like walking down the universal hallway, she will turn around and tell her team, I don't want to be tried in front of 12 strangers...change my plea to guilty and get me the best deal you can! Wishful thinking on my part but she should consider it or all the gory details of Caylee's demise will be out for all to hear! There's just too much enemy actions in regards to Caylee's demise and the recovery of Caylee's remains that only lead to one person, ICA...JMHO

Justice for Caylee

"Jury Selection Qualifications:

Jurors in the Northern District of Florida are selected at random from the certified list of registered voters from Florida' Secretary of State. One must be a registered voter and reside for one year within one of the four divisions of the Northern District of Florida."

http://www.flnd.uscourts.gov/jurors/jurySelection.cfm

Note that this is for the Northern District; it may vary in other districts.
Since Baez (being KC's defense attorney) asked the judge how the jurors will be selected.. I hope he reads here. This will be helpful to him. Ok, I know that was mean...

I'm hoping for Tallahassee area, and a mixture of jurors in various ages from 30 to retired age, with children.

I'm not too familiar with Florida but I have a feeling the jury may get called from a military base area, based on HHJP's remarks about restricted media, etc. Is there a base near, but not too near Orlando? JMO

I'm not too familiar with Florida but I have a feeling the jury may get called from a military base area, based on HHJP's remarks about restricted media, etc. Is there a base near, but not too near Orlando? JMO

MacDill AFB is in Tampa, 101 miles from Orlando. I don't see any jury selection coming from there though. Although the base would fulfill the "restricted" criteria, I'm not aware of jury selections conducted on any military bases or posts. Their military justice system is completely separate and apart from civilians.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Double
Back