Where will the jury come from?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm not going to get too worried about the 48 Hours ep before it airs. I don't think it'll be as one-sided as it appears; they've always been pretty fair. I think they're emphasizing the defense elements in the teaser because...frankly...most people HAVE made their minds up about this case. And justifiably so. She's Ms. Guilty McGuiltpherson. Even my dog is like "Dude, 31 days?"

CBS knows that. Their only hope to get the big numbers is to infer doubt. "But what if she isn't guilty? Bombshell!" They're playing up those elements to get the very anti-Casey audience a bit riled, but ultimately I think they'll be fair. Let the defense have their say; they're abysmally bad at getting a point across.

I'm not sure a potential jury pool that hasn't already formed an opinion about this case is going to scrutinize 48 Hours. Because, really, if you haven't followed this case or nailed down your opinion by now, you're probably not the 48 Hours type. They're watching Big Bang Theory or Teen Mom 2 or reruns of House on USA.

That's not to say the mock jury isn't in egregiously bad form. It is.

I just can't see Judge Perry selecting a jury from Perry (Taylor County), Florida. Perry is located about 45 minutes from Tallahassee, about 30 miles from Live Oak (my hometown). The population is only around 19,250 or there abouts. It is located on the gulf coast of Florida and in the middle of the nothing but woods for miles and miles around. The majority of people work at the paper mill there or either at the prison. I don't think that he could find a jury that he could sequester for 3 months and it not have a major impact on the family's budget. It is largely a redneck community. Just my thoughts about it.

~jmo~

I would doubt Perry is in the running. That is Taylor County...population as of the 2010 census was about 7000.

Given the large number of those that will be invited to the jury pool (HHJP stated he would be calling a much larger number than usual) I don't think they have enough people to be in the running.

If JB is afraid of the Panhandle...he should be terrified of Perry. (both of them)

I would doubt Perry is in the running. That is Taylor County...population as of the 2010 census was about 7000.

Given the large number of those that will be invited to the jury pool (HHJP stated he would be calling a much larger number than usual) I don't think they have enough people to be in the running.

If JB is afraid of the Panhandle...he should be terrified of Perry. (both of them)

Plus doesn't have to be the same or similiar demographics as Orange County?

I am going to guess near Perry town. Only because it was mentioned in this video report that Perry had seek-ed Jurors from here in the past. Now, it "DID NOT SAY" that this is where they were getting the jury for Casey's Trial. Just taking a guess.

[

So Judge Belvin Perry has seated a Jury from the city of Perry?
The man has a sense of humor alright. :great:

OT- where is Davie, Florida? (we have a personal connection)...

I'm not thinking it's Perry, FL either. Perry's about 4 hrs. from them. ....next?

So what's the guess on how far HHJP will have these jurors travel? 3 hours? 4? Just wondering what might constitute being able to go home for the weekend drive time. Ultimately, I think they'll end up back in Orange Cty, due to the 1 week deadline, but just wondering

mqflorda.gif

I'm going with Collier County or Escambia County. Both have probably been exposed to the case, Collier more than Escambia, but not to the point that Orange, Osceola, Polk, Pinellas, Hillsborough, and the rest of the counties on the I-4 corridor. Both are more similar in demos to Orange than some of the more rural counties, and I believe Miami-Dade is both too far and too likely to be Baez-friendly.

So what's the guess on how far HHJP will have these jurors travel? 3 hours? 4? Just wondering what might constitute being able to go home for the weekend drive time. Ultimately, I think they'll end up back in Orange Cty, due to the 1 week deadline, but just wondering

mqflorda.gif
Thanks for the map, but I still don't find Davie on it...:waitasec:

Attachments

• 100mijeg.jpg
    100mijeg.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 19

mqflorda.gif

I'm sorry, Capri. I have totally missed where HHJP said the sequestered jury could go home on the weekend. Can you tell me when that was said? It is really FAR from normal for a sequestered jury to be able to go home during the trial.

I'm sorry, Capri. I have totally missed where HHJP said the sequestered jury could go home on the weekend. Can you tell me when that was said? It is really FAR from normal for a sequestered jury to be able to go home during the trial.

Omachka, I am afraid I started that and was corrected first by SOTS (then by many others). I believe HHJP had mentioned bringing the families in to visit the jury ~ not the jury going home on weekends. It is vaguely discussed earlier in this thread around the mid-60's posts. (I only know because I had to go back to refresh my own memory.) Sorry for the confusion. :iamashamed::iamashamed::iamashamed:

We have to go with a suitable county, not city, right? A county map might be helpful to see how expansive that county is and the city within. There may be a city in one county that seems appropriate, but another that might have big red flags.

I don't want Palm Beach County for so many reasons. Very wealthy, pretty liberal, and mostly retiree. I'm not sure those would be good traits for this jury.

Omachka, I am afraid I started that and was corrected first by SOTS (then by many others). I believe HHJP had mentioned bringing the families in to visit the jury ~ not the jury going home on weekends. It is vaguely discussed earlier in this thread around the mid-60's posts. (I only know because I had to go back to refresh my own memory.) Sorry for the confusion. :iamashamed::iamashamed::iamashamed:

Thanks Expecting Unicorns. I was really confused by that. No need to be ashamed though... this is happening really fast and it's hard to keep up with all the changes and what's said in court. :seeya:

Someone I know is an acquaintance of CM's former partner. He told her he heard a rumor that Daytona Beach is in the wind. Very similar size and demographics to Orlando - also a tourist town and vacation spot. A jury would be close enough to travel if that's allowed (it's only about an hour) or if relatives can visit. While Volusia County does share some media stations with Orange; it's probably immaterial since JB made sure this case had as much national and international coverage as he could muster. Travel arrangements would be cheaper too as the distance is far less. With gas nearing $4 a gallon, I'm sure that's also a consideration for HHJP - he is trying to shave costs wherever possible.

(Also, Perry is not a good choice, imo - it would be far more suited demographically to the Haleigh Cummings case. It is a town that was pretty much founded I'd heard by GA criminals running across the border. When I lived it FL, we used to think of Deliverance...)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back