Wrongful death trial begins. Trial coverage and discussion

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great video interview with author Caitlin Rother. She has been in the courtroom all week. Good discussion about the knots and the expert witness.

The defense argued the knots were simple. The expert testified it was the totality of the knots! The expert also testified he disagreed with the sheriffs reenactment of the rope tying. He said that is not the kind of knots he recognized on the body.

This brought back memories for me of the Valhall’s video reenactments. She was able to show how much of what SDSO alleged happened was impossible.

Analysis of Rebecca Zahau case

March 8, 2018 By KUSI Newsroom

http://www.kusi.com/analysis-of-rebecca-zahau-case/

Tricia - If we get another chance (pretty please), the “squiggles” would be an excellent question for Mr. Greer. TIA

Question - Mr. Greer can you tell us about the squiggles on the door? Before, after?

How is Greer accounting for the black smudges of paint found on Rebecca's right arm, hand, clavicle, breasts and back?

page 9

http://www.autopsyfiles.org/reports/Other/zahau, rebecca_report.pdf

IIRC, he says Adam was the one with paint on his hands. It was transferred to Rebecca as he moved her, etc. He said some of the paint, esp. on her breasts, was the result of sexual assault. Recall, the steak knife that was found in the room had Rebecca's menstrual blood all over the handle. Adam was assaulting (raping) her with the knife handle.

How is Greer accounting for the black smudges of paint found on Rebecca's right arm, hand, clavicle, breasts and back?

page 9

http://www.autopsyfiles.org/reports/Other/zahau, rebecca_report.pdf
Maybe this will help? From the third amended complaint - BBM:

23. The cover up scheme involve defendant Adam Shacknai binding DECEDENT's hands (behind her back) and ankles with rope he found at the residence. Plaintiffs allege that based on the knots having nautical qualities and ADAM being a tug boat captain with experience tying nautical knots, that ADAM bound the DECEDENT. Plaintiffs further base this allegation on the fact that the ropes had the same black paint residue found on DECEDENT's nipples, thus implicating the person who tied the knots as the person who also pinched the Decedent's nipples, and that ADAM had admitted to masturbating to *advertiser censored* on his cell phone that evening, the further inference being that the two instances of sexual behavior are consistent with ADAM' s state of mind that evening. Plaintiffs further base this allegation on the fact that multiple contusions in the area subjacent to the ligatures around her lower legs, a result of the strength of the binding and the lack of rope fibers found on REBECCA's hands.

https://tribkswb.files.wordpress.com/2017/04/proposed-tac.pdf

Maybe this will help? From the third amended complaint - BBM:

https://tribkswb.files.wordpress.com/2017/04/proposed-tac.pdf

And it's very likely Adam was wearing gloves when he did this, so his prints and DNA won't be found. There were 2 different types of gloves in the room and downstairs that SDSO took into evidence. JMO, I assume the actual gloves that Adam used were disposed of, like the clothing she wore that day.

And it's very likely Adam was wearing gloves when he did this, so his prints and DNA won't be found. There were 2 different types of gloves in the room and downstairs that SDSO took into evidence. JMO, I assume the actual gloves that Adam used were disposed of, like the clothing she wore that day.

Would you mind posting the source for two pair of gloves? Ty.

IIRC, he says Adam was the one with paint on his hands. It was transferred to Rebecca as he moved her, etc. He said some of the paint, esp. on her breasts, was the result of sexual assault. Recall, the steak knife that was found in the room had Rebecca's menstrual blood all over the handle. Adam was assaulting (raping) her with the knife handle.

Adam had paint on his hands? There must be a slew of evidence I have somehow missed in all my research. Mind telling me where this is documented?

Great video interview with author Caitlin Rother. She has been in the courtroom all week. Good discussion about the knots and the expert witness.

The defense argued the knots were simple. The expert testified it was the totality of the knots! The expert also testified he disagreed with the sheriffs reenactment of the rope tying. He said that is not the kind of knots he recognized on the body.

This brought back memories for me of the Valhall’s video reenactments. She was able to show how much of what SDSO alleged happened was impossible.

Analysis of Rebecca Zahau case

March 8, 2018 By KUSI Newsroom

http://www.kusi.com/analysis-of-rebecca-zahau-case/

I would like for someone reporting from a trial to just give us the facts without obvious bias.

KZ here is an older article where Dina was interviewed. If she's telling the truth, then the MRI on Max after Rebecca's death is when they got the news that Max had extensive brain damage.

However, prior to that doctors were trying to figure out how/why Max went into cardiac arrest.

http://www.phoenixmag.com/valley-news/boy-interrupted.html

I remember, but unfortunately don't have a link to reports that initially there was a doctor who suspected strangulation or suffocation, and Rebecca was not allowed in the room with Max. IIRC that doctor also initiated a report with CPS. Does anybody else remember that? Years ago when I saw that info I thought well if that isn't motive for murder then what is? But all later reports turned into Dina (who was also speaking for Jonah) thinking Max was going to be okay at the time of Rebecca's death, like they hadn't heard a devastating prognosis yet.

I highly doubt a doctor visited Jonah late at night and gave him bad news, and he decided to share that with Rebecca by voice mail but said nothing to Dina?

No, this voice mail bs and when they knew what isn't adding up. IMO Dina is and has tried to take the motive to kill Rebecca out of the equation for the Shacknai clan.

It's kind of odd to me that Dina now thinks Rebecca was murdered, she just doesn't think the killer was Adam.

BBM: This "voicemail bs" story has two oddities: it didn't show up in Rebecca's voicemail AND it didn't register on Jonah's phone that he made the call. Impossible with the technology in 2011 that it would not show up on either phone.

if indeed the squiggles were put there by the murderer, we might notice the leftward slant of the vertical lines of the squiggles, similar to the leftward or mostly vertical slant of AS handwriting, compared the rightward slant of RZ's writing.

Somewhere in the recesses of my mind I remember reading that GS sometimes used this room and those squiggles were attributed to her previously having "decorated" that door.

If you look at the door pic above, the letters in the message are on top of the squiggles. Interesting. I wonder if the door writer made the squiggles first, and when they didn't show up well enough, then got the paint tube and brush.

I don't think the squiggles were there when the crime scene photos were taken. This photo is from Sheriff's Dept
door-rebecca-zahau-7-ht-jt-180228_7x6_992.jpg.

Wish there had been a drug test done on AS that morning. He had to have been on something crazier than ambien and dr pepper. He sure had an active and busy evening.

Yes, but when did "we" get the information that the door was returned to Jonah?

Who planted that information on the web, and why?

I'll take a look at old threads, but if anyone knows when that story was planted and watered, please post.

IIRC, the story about the door being returned came out in early October, 2011, because JS wanted to start to get the mansion ready to sell, and needed to do some repairs and "clean-up"

Apologies for veering a bit off topic, but I notice AZlawyer is here. I have a question for her (or anyone else who may be able to help): are juries impressed, not impressed, or neutral in re: the number of attorneys a defendant has? I googled numerous questions on this subject, and was unable to find any information; my main concern/interest is whether Adam's 9 lawyers could have any effect on the jury.
Thanks so much for any replies!

I've never personally been involved in case or witnessed a case where this was an issue so I can't speak to any bias I've seen. IMO it would come down to the juror. Imagine if you were a juror, what would your opinion be from that? A person could see that and think they must be guilty to need that many, or that they must be insanely wealthy, or that they are afraid of the evidence against them. A person could also see that and think it makes their case stronger and their innocence more likely. If it were me in that jury chair I would probably have a negative reaction to that many lawyers and think it's excessive and they must be wealthy and wasteful. It all comes down to a juror's personal bias and what people are generally like in that county, JMO.

I don't think the squiggles were there when the crime scene photos were taken. This photo is from Sheriff's Dept
View attachment 131193.

We'll find out when we have our next discussion with Keith Greer.

As for your previous question about the black gloves taken into evidence from the crime scene, you can find them listed on the search warrant. Here's a link to those:

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/s...les-here-No-discussions&p=8513077#post8513077

The information has been variously reported as a pair of black gloves and a single black latex glove. The second glove of that pair is missing, possibly thrown away. As the DNA expert testified, the absence of DNA and prints at the crime scene indicates the killer wore gloves. Statistically, it's quite common for criminals to use gloves while committing a crime like murder.

Since SDSO doesn't report any boxes of black latex gloves in the house, its suggested the killer brought them to the crime scene.

We actually don't know what other gloves, or evidence for that matter, existed in the mansion. LE was pretty focused on treating this as a suicide and gathered up mostly items that helped support their theory. As you probably know, the house has since been drastically remodeled, any remaining evidence is long gone.

I would like for someone reporting from a trial to just give us the facts without obvious bias.

Agree, there's been some media bias in the local news.

In all the days of reporting on the civil trial, never have any of the media outlets reported that evidence testing shows the steak knife used to cut the rope was also used to rape Rebecca. Wonder why they're not reporting that? It's verified evidence, SDSO doesn't dispute it, it was admitted to court as evidence.

Have you seen any reporting in local news media on that?

Was there a house phone? I can't recall if that ever came up. Curious if there was a phone in the main house and/or the guest house. My opinion is leaning towards the fact that Adam "visited" Rebecca much earlier in the night. Say around midnight when the screams were heard. I like the theory that he killed her then, after a struggle and left her in the room still hog tied. I can't get past the fact that Pfingst was actually there in the evening! What time? We know N was there trying to talk to Rebecca. Could she have heard something and called JS or Dina? Then a lawyer was called? That timing gives Adam plenty of time to come to his senses, figure out a plan, and to clean up. Also gives Jonah time to start the clean up machine. Somehow Pfingst knew to try to contact Adam first thing that morning. No way was Jonah surprised when Adam texted him that Rebecca was dead. He didn't even bother calling Adam to find out details!

Again, curious if there was house phone and if so, did anyone get the call records? If I recall, Nina & Dina's phone records were looked at but I can't remember the time frame. I don't know if I have the energy to visit all of those old threads!

Anyway, just trying to wrap my head around that piece of the puzzle. No way do I think Adam came up with the "clean up" all on his own.

I've never personally been involved in case or witnessed a case where this was an issue so I can't speak to any bias I've seen. IMO it would come down to the juror. Imagine if you were a juror, what would your opinion be from that? A person could see that and think they must be guilty to need that many, or that they must be insanely wealthy, or that they are afraid of the evidence against them. A person could also see that and think it makes their case stronger and their innocence more likely. If it were me in that jury chair I would probably have a negative reaction to that many lawyers and think it's excessive and they must be wealthy and wasteful. It all comes down to a juror's personal bias and what people are generally like in that county, JMO.
Thank you VERY much for your reply!!! Makes sense...

Somewhere in the recesses of my mind I remember reading that GS sometimes used this room and those squiggles were attributed to her previously having "decorated" that door.

GS did have a wall in her mother's home in PV that she would "write" on. I may have a picture of it somewhere in my files........will check........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaltPetals