50/60 year old Amnesia Victim Savannah, GA Thread #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Websleuths, Heidi!

Copying your post over from the photos thread:

"On the one someone just posted w/ darrell austrew, i see benjamin kyle, a pic of darrell austrew, who is the other person next to darrell? Oh and Darrell went missing 9/1/1996. below is a link to view darrell austrew's flyer
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/mpch/mpdetails.asp?id='M8/19/20033:03:01PM'
"

That is a second pic of Darrell from the Charley Project website. (Although I did a double take when I first saw it because the two pics of him look very different. I was wondering if it was the same person!) See this link: http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/a/austrew_darrell.html

Also according to the Charley Project, he went missing on Feb. 20, 1998. Do you know for sure that the TX site is correct?

We have to make sure we have all the correct info.

ETA: Doe Network link http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1649dmtx.html
Doe Network has missing date as 9-1-96.

Welcome, Heidi! Thank you very much for your hard work regarding this. When you spoke with Mr. Kyle did he have any opinions or feelings regarding what you told him? Did he see the pictures?

Thanks in advance...

he said the picture of darrell austrew is very fascinating, that it looks like a younger version of him. He thought it was interesting that i said darrell has a brother named william who is homeless, because someone said they saw someone who looked just like him (benjamin) at a homeless shelter. I am currently working on contacting more Austrew's to see if i can find out even what school Darrell went to so i can find more pictures to show Benjamin. I just looked at the Charley Project page and, i dont think thats him but i'll call Texas and ask. About the date, Yes im almost positive it IS 1996 because when i called and talked to them they asked the missing date of the person i was talking about i gave them the 1996 date and they transfered to the person assigned to it. It is possible they didnt gather much information due to the fact the family had a falling out and no one speaks to anyone, Also, I am not sure if Darrell & his brother William were homeless at the time of disappearance. The part where it says his license expired in 1995 and was never renewed, maybe they were/are hiding from someone, possibly the person who killed the cousin? I am still trying to find who the cousin is so if anyone can help me with genealogy on them that'd be great (im only 23 and still new to trying to do genealogy) But first thing monday I will call Texas and ask about that 2nd picture and will let you guys know what they say. Wouldn't it be great if we could give Benjamin Kyle his identity for Christmas =o)

Sorry for the double post-this is what I found on the roots.com website (Geneology) and I am pretty certain that Darrell Austrew is William Michael Austrew's brother.
"
hello. i am jenny sebastian (austrew). i am the daughter of william micheal austrew. he is the son of robert haywood austrew, and lula laymon, and the grandson of love s. austrew and hope dill. he and i are so glad to have seen so much being done to preserve the lines of this diverse and enduring german family. my father never knew george washington austrew but he knew love and hope and all of their children ...george, martin, robert, nellon (nellan?) delbert, marvin, fannie, ruth, roxie, and lorene very well. the last time he saw many of them was loves funeral in evansville. thank you for all of your time and effort and if possible keep be informed of any break throughs.
jenny"

There are a few intriguing posts regarding the Austrew family dated 2000 and 2003.

According to a family tree submitted on ancestry.com Darrell was born 10 May 1955 in Hammond, Lake, Indiana, USA if that helps any. The file also says that at the time the family tree was submitted Darrell had 2 brothers and 1 sister.

ETA: The file says Darrell's parents were Darrell E. Austrew and Lyna Lorene Capps.

Heidi, welcome to WS! Thank you for joining us and for all your work and help in helping Mr Kyle!

May I please suggest, not only to you, but to anyone who is helping with this case.....

To investigate amongst ourselves is fabulous, contacting people, such as possible relatives however, I would suggest we leave this matter to FBI, LE. We must remember, we have NO IDEA how Mr. Kyle ended up in the situation he is in. He could be in danger.

I think everyone trying to come up with matches, working on the backgrounds and geneolgy sp?, yada yada, is great....but, again, I would not contact anyone that could be related.

So, for the investigating parts...

Here is what I can help with ;)

I have full access to ancestry.com...but no time. If one person wants to take on that part of the project, I will give access.

I have a few other programs that I can do background checks etc, if y'all need anything like that just PM or email the info, name, approx age, approx loc, more have the easier it is, but I will try with just a name and have been successful with just that.

I also have full access to classmates, but have been warned a couple times of my activity.... I am registered at a gazillion schools and am hardly on there, when I go on it's usually to BLAST someone's pic and they think I'm spamming.....I am working on trying to get classmates to work with me and the missing (another project, need volunteers, hint hint).

I haven't been on classmates for some time, but am also willing to give one person who wants to work on BK case (and others if your interesed ;) ) access if needed.

I have a HUGE list of possibles from you all that I am going through one by one, none which Mr Kyle or Nurse Betty thought were potentials. I'm still going through them, JIC.

Ok, ok...I should have read first! You all already are all working on those sites, fantastic! Thanks!

:clap: Lot's of cool activity going on...this may already have been discussed behind the scenes, but Lorene Austrew, Darrell's mother, passed in 1998 on May 9 and was buried in Hammond, Indiana. Strangly enough, there is a website that posts the gravestone info for the Cemetary...I don't know maybe you have all come across this before, but this proves to me that there is no privacy left, lol-it is called "Find a Grave." If it is the same Lorene, then Darrell E Senior was her third husband!

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GScid=86193&GRid=7461673&

Yep, that's the correct Lorene. Darrell E was her 3rd hubby.

:clap: Lot's of cool activity going on...this may already have been discussed behind the scenes, but Lorene Austrew, Darrell's mother, passed in 1998 on May 9 and was buried in Hammond, Indiana. Strangly enough, there is a website that posts the gravestone info for the Cemetary...I don't know maybe you have all come across this before, but this proves to me that there is no privacy left, lol-it is called "Find a Grave." If it is the same Lorene, then Darrell E Senior was her third husband!

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GScid=86193&GRid=7461673&

Reason I was trying to contact relatives in the first place is because the lady at the missing persons thing said that they can't go contacting relatives unless they are sure they have something. which means it will never get done, its already been over 10 years and look how much has been done thus far...nothing, as far as i can see, and it doesnt seem to me they are working on it. Not trying to sound rude, just logical

Reason I was trying to contact relatives in the first place is because the lady at the missing persons thing said that they can't go contacting relatives unless they are sure they have something. which means it will never get done, its already been over 10 years and look how much has been done thus far...nothing, as far as i can see, and it doesnt seem to me they are working on it. Not trying to sound rude, just logical

Very logical-I agree with Christine though that we want to be careful of pointing anyone in his direction who may want to harm him. I can't speak for anyone else, but it is a tough balance because it truly seems like a case that could be solved...yet we have to balance it with what will be best in the long run for Mr. Kyle.

Sorry for the double post, but if Darrell A and Mr. Kyle prove to be one, things have been tough in that family...Darrell Senior died in July 1967 which would have been a huge blow for a child his age. Interesting that his mom did not marry again after that and that she was buried in Indiana while her last husband was buried in TX. So I am also curious as to whether Darrell senior fathered all of the children...

Very true, im impatiently waiting until tomorrow morning to call the people who are assigned to darrell's case. For now I will just try and gather all the information and put it together along with the help of everyone else and then we can get that info to them so they dont have to do work that's already been done. make it go by a little faster =o) I also know that they may not have funds for anyone to investigate this. any suggestions if they dont have the funds to do so? I will ask them tomorrow.

Very true, im impatiently waiting until tomorrow morning to call the people who are assigned to darrell's case. For now I will just try and gather all the information and put it together along with the help of everyone else and then we can get that info to them so they dont have to do work that's already been done. make it go by a little faster =o) I also know that they may not have funds for anyone to investigate this. any suggestions if they dont have the funds to do so? I will ask them tomorrow.

Hey-heidi...hope you had great luck today!

I received an email from Good Housekeeping stating they forwarded the story information to one of their magazine editors. Here is a cut and paste of what I was sent-
Your email was forwarded to our articles editor. If the editors feel this story will be of interest to our readers, you will be contacted by us.
Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention.
Sincerely,
Marjorie Cubisino, Director
Consumer & Reader Services
Good Housekeeping Research Institute

While unrelated to Mr. Kyle's story - Here is a link to a story about a man found after 5 years - his family thought he had died.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,314661,00.html

Hoping to hear soon that Mr. Kyle finds his family!

You gave me an idea, MaxMoMom. Perhaps we can research other related solved cases. Maybe we can learn something from details of similar cases and how they were solved.

Lion

Hi Everyone,
I've been reading but not posting on this thread. I have not read all of the posts on both threads.

I do have a few comments and questions I would like to share. I hope non are offensive to Mr Kyle, however being honest I have a few questions I would like to present.

First, I have looked at all the pictures on the pic thread. Which I think is a fantastic idea, saves those who are looking the time to go through all the threads. IMO, the only one that currently stands out to me Gary David Poole, however I have not read more about Gary's case.

Mr Kyle has some very distinguished features. His right ear has two very distinct paralell lines in his inner ear. His left ear also has a very distinct semi square shape.

I have a photo of someone that I do not know, who resembles Mr Kyle. the photo is from a distance but I will mail to Christine. This photo was taken atop Squaw Peak in Phoenix Arizona. I happened to take photos of everyone who made the summit sometime in the late 80's early 90's. Most likely the early 90's. It occured to me Mr Kyles recollection of Colorado may have to do with the colorado river..... which, is not close to Phoenix but who knows. The man in the photo I have has an athletic build. Hairy arms and legs and with his arms bent, kind of pointy elbows ( popeye elbows for example ). He was pretty bashful when two pretty 20 something girls made the summit and asked to take his photo. In the photo he's looking to the side which indicates his bashfulness. I recall him asking, you want to take a photo of me? I also recall both of us( my friend and I) lit up cigarettes and he, or someone else commented - Don't see too many of those up here. I would be unable to identify this person by name but perhaps, if by chance this is Mr. Kyle, he might recognize the surroundings. This would have been around the time acid wash blue jeans with rips were in style and neon was in style. This man also wore glasses and is wearing a wrist watch. Hair part is similiar, hair coloring looks similar, also similiar receding hair line with a little more hair. The picture was taken in the fall. Would have been sometime in October.

I've also wondered if Mr. Kyle may have had some circumstances in his life which would have caused him to leave and possibly not have been reported missing. A few thoughts, which I hope are not offensive, may have been a failed business, loss of job, a gambling problem, maybe owing someone money. An impending divorce and possible loss of children, home.....

Maybe a little off beat, but I did look at some sites with photos of parents owing child support and did not see anyone resembling Mr. Kyle.

hope this helps.

Thank you Cubby, that is very interesting. I'm curious to see what this man looked like that you took a picture of.

BK does have a recollection of the state of Colorado. It says in the NE article that he remembers the local nickname of the McNichols Sports Arena, the "Big Mac" (home of the Denver Nuggets) which most likely would be known by a resident or someone with ties to the area.

That said, I think anything is possible. Thanks for joining us! :)

Big Mac, interesting. Wasn't Mark McGuire also known as the big mac? Did Mr Kyle specifically mention basketball? or sports in general.

I think we need some more off beat memories......

The pic I have is from such a distance that I can not make out facial features. However body language can be made out, so was hoping that might help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amakur