Found Deceased AL - Kamille "Cupcake" McKinney, 3, kidnapped from birthday party, Birmingham, 12 Oct 2019 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe 8:30pm was time police were called or arrived. Time of abduction unknown as there is an unknown Time of delay before police were called.

ETA:Birmingham Police were first called to the Tom Brown Village Saturday night at 8:29.
BPD Chief: Family searched for Kamille before calling for help
It's unclear to me. The FBI poster says she was last seen at 8:30. In any case, I was detailing what was reported in the video (and we know they don't always get it right!) :oops:

It was also reported early on that ALEA issued the Amber Alert at 11:45 p.m. and a second one with updated suspect information. So, I'm skeptical about the 12:14 time too. MOO

Last edited:
As the search for a missing toddler intensifies, Birmingham Police Chief Patrick Smith said Monday there was a delay in reporting Kamille McKinney’s disappearance to officers.

“As many families think that they can resolve their issue on their own, they think that they can do just a quick search of the neighborhood or area to find a missing person or missing child,” said Chief Smith during a news conference. “There was a little bit of a delay in getting the information to law enforcement so we can conduct a thorough grid search of the entire area before putting out an AMBER Alert.”

It’s unclear how long the delay was.

BPD Chief: Family searched for Kamille before calling for help

I’m always skeptical when there is a delay reported. If there were eye witnesses to an abduction why the delay? Moo
This has been bothering me since Sunday and I was wondering if I missed some discussion on it. I live in AL and the first Amber Alert I got was at 12:06 am (the notification is still on my phone). Sometime after that when details started emerging, they were saying she had been missing since 8:30pm Saturday. The police confirmed there was a delay and i don't remember where I read it (so its not fact) but I read the delay was approx two hours.

I have wracked my brain and asked other moms I know and my husband. If our older daughter saw stranger put our younger daughter in a vehicle...how long would they look for the child before they called the police. Eleven years old may not be old enough to give a good eyewitness account but it's certainly old enough to know whether or not a younger sibling was just taken by a stranger. I wouldn't even check in the house, I would immediately call 911. Of course, I would be looking for her while on the phone with them but I know time is critical and if it's worst case scenario then I need all the help I can get.

Maybe that would be an overreaction? I'm also not one to let my children go very far out of my sight. We have an enclosed back yard in a safe neighborhood and i'm still not comfortable just assuming nobody would take them. I don't know all of our neighbors around us. They take a walkie talkie with them and I stream our security camera to our TV so I can watch them while working inside.

I just don't understand spending any significant amount of time not calling 911 when my older child sees a stranger take our child. It's the primary reason I still feel something is not right with this case. I want Cupcake brought home and then the investigators be able to piece together the whole story. Even if I never find out the whole story, I hope the police do and act accordingly. MOO

It's unclear to me. The FBI poster says she was last seen at 8:30. In any case, I was detailing what was reported in the video.

It was also reported early on that ALEA issued the Amber Alert at 11:45 p.m. and a second one with updated suspect information. So, I'm skeptical about the 12:14 time too. MOO

I don't know the specifics around how Amber Alerts work, do they push it out in waves or all at once? I don't live in Birmingham anymore but I still have my 205 area code from when I did. I have a screenshot of the initial alert arriving at 12:06am (Sunday) with the follow-up alert coming at 7:37pm (Sunday).

I think we need to keep the demographics of this area in mind. As posted here by a local. Many on assistance. Distrust of Police and I can see some of these folks solving their issues in their own way. IMO

This has been bothering me since Sunday and I was wondering if I missed some discussion on it. I live in AL and the first Amber Alert I got was at 12:06 am (the notification is still on my phone). Sometime after that when details started emerging, they were saying she had been missing since 8:30pm Saturday. The police confirmed there was a delay and i don't remember where I read it (so its not fact) but I read the delay was approx two hours.

I have wracked my brain and asked other moms I know and my husband. If our older daughter saw stranger put our younger daughter in a vehicle...how long would they look for the child before they called the police. Eleven years old may not be old enough to give a good eyewitness account but it's certainly old enough to know whether or not a younger sibling was just taken by a stranger. I wouldn't even check in the house, I would immediately call 911. Of course, I would be looking for her while on the phone with them but I know time is critical and if it's worst case scenario then I need all the help I can get.

Maybe that would be an overreaction? I'm also not one to let my children go very far out of my sight. We have an enclosed back yard in a safe neighborhood and i'm still not comfortable just assuming nobody would take them. I don't know all of our neighbors around us. They take a walkie talkie with them and I stream our security camera to our TV so I can watch them while working inside.

I just don't understand spending any significant amount of time not calling 911 when my older child sees a stranger take our child. It's the primary reason I still feel something is not right with this case. I want Cupcake brought home and then the investigators be able to piece together the whole story. Even if I never find out the whole story, I hope the police do and act accordingly. MOO

BBM. I remember telling my husband when I got the Amber Alert on my phone that I was surprised that it took so long, because I had read about the abduction a couple hours prior on Facebook. I'm not sure if I can post a screen shot, but if you go look at al.com's Facebook page, you'll see that they first posted a news article about this at 9:49 p.m. on Oct 12th. So, if in under 80 minutes there was already a news article posted, they must not have waited too long to contact authorities, etc.

I thinks it’s been reported that no adults were outside with those kids at that time. She didn’t get in the vehicle herself though. The party kid that saw her was her older brother and he witnessed the person walk over, pick her up and put her in the car. So I would think the brother would run for help right away. Not brush it off for some time and then recall it later when an adult asked where she was. I’m not saying your theory is wrong but the brother knew right away that a stranger picked her up and ran off with her. Maybe he went and told adults but they started to look for her by searching the area and then decided to call police. That was the delay. The party guests first did their own search. That wasted a bunch of time.
We don't know if the brother brushed it off for sometime and then recalled it later.
He may have thought at first that a friend of a family member picked her up or that it was another child or maybe he wasn't sure it was her. Maybe the adults thought he was making a mistake.
Maybe he did not realize until she couldn't be found that it was her.
There was a lot going on that day and there were apparently a lot of people there.
It's normal and not uncommon to search first to make sure she really wasn't there before calling police.
How long of a delay was it? Was it hours or minutes?
Imo

Last edited:
@PommyMommy i can’t find the video link you are mentioning. Is the link broken?
At the :40 mark in this video, what does AT say just prior to “It was a lot of happiness; it was joy.”

I think I'm hearing "I thought she was found" but I'm not sure. ?

Kamille “Cupcake” McKinney’s brother misses his sister
Sarah Snyder
@sarah3340

Good Thursday morning - it’s day 5 in the search for Kamille McKinney. Join us right now for updates.
@abc3340
#liveon3340
@ABC3340Wendell

(Video)

Sarah Snyder on Twitter

I don't know the specifics around how Amber Alerts work, do they push it out in waves or all at once? I don't live in Birmingham anymore but I still have my 205 area code from when I did. I have a screenshot of the initial alert arriving at 12:06am (Sunday) with the follow-up alert coming at 7:37pm (Sunday).
I'm not that tech-savvy, lol! I think the information generally goes to the county level, then state, then the NCMEC who sends back an "okay" of sorts. So, if you received yours at 12:06 a.m. that seems to align with the time reported earlier that ALEA issued the alert at 11:45 p.m. I don't know where the time of 12:14 a.m. in the recent article comes from. I imagine the follow-up alert included the updated vehicle/suspect information. MOO

Kamille ‘Cupcake’ McKinney: What we know nearly 5 days after Birmingham abduction

• Kamille was with her mother, April Thomas, and other family members at the birthday party in a parking lot off 41st Place North.
Was this parking lot “inside” of the complex? I’ve tried to look via google maps and pictures- the parking lots seem to be in the middle of a group of apartments?

So someone would have to drive in and park along with residents in the middle of a party being held in a parking lot? There had to be at least one adult outside or people just sitting around in lawn chairs or hanging out?

I think we need to keep the demographics of this area in mind. As posted here by a local. Many on assistance. Distrust of Police and I can see some of these folks solving their issues in their own way. IMO
Yes, this is true. I worked for a company that hired a lot of the people in this demographic, I worked side by side with them for years. We made a lot of adjustments to schedules so they wouldn't earn too much money and lose their assistance.

It is a well known fact that a lot of people in areas like this don't trust the police but one thing I heard over and over was "don't mess with my coins or my kids". All of the parents that worked with us had the same attitude. If an older child saw a younger child taken by a stranger, the police are being called. Now, that doesn't mean that some of the adults in the group won't break off and go looking for the vehicle based on any info they had. That would certainly happen too but someone will also stay behind to deal with the police. If someone else caught up with the vehicle before the police then that would def be handled w/o police. However, someone else pointed out there maybe wasn't even that much of a delay so maybe this is all moot. It is for sure, all MOO

I can’t find anyone from Alabama mentioned in the article? Can you help direct me. Working with a headache so it may be staring right at me.

Here's one from the DOJ. Hopefully it doesn't change!

South Korean National and Hundreds of Others Charged Worldwide in the Takedown of the Largest Darknet Child *advertiser censored* Website, Which was Funded by Bitcoin | OPA | Department of Justice South Korean National and Hundreds of Others Charged Worldwide in the Takedown of the Largest Darknet Child *advertiser censored* Website, Which was Funded by Bitcoin

BBM. I remember telling my husband when I got the Amber Alert on my phone that I was surprised that it took so long, because I had read about the abduction a couple hours prior on Facebook. I'm not sure if I can post a screen shot, but if you go look at al.com's Facebook page, you'll see that they first posted a news article about this at 9:49 p.m. on Oct 12th. So, if in under 80 minutes there was already a news article posted, they must not have waited too long to contact authorities, etc.
We've seen this in a number of cases so I'm going to say that it's not unusual to see an article or FB post about an Amber Alert before you receive one on your phone. Here's an example (Tennessee):

Cell Warning For AMBER Alert Delayed 30 Minutes
"That's often the biggest misconception about the AMBER Alert, that there's a big red button that someone hits in TBI Headquarters, and that's simply not a fact," said John Devine with the TBI.

The TBI said one of its first priorities during an AMBER Alert is to post on their Twitter and Facebook pages. They added that you may be able to get AMBER Alert info there faster, rather than waiting for a cell phone alert.

I agree. Also think it’s possible a few things needed to “get in order” before calling police out to the complex.

I've seen people speculate on this thread that maybe drug houses needed to be emptied before cops were called. I grew up in housing complexes and around a lot of drug activity. Growing up one house I lived on was on a busy drug set and across for a stash house. Actually a few places I lived at were in the middle of heavy drug activity.

No way would anyone wait to call the cops on a snatched kid so they could empty drug houses. Even hardened criminals have a "don't mess with kids" rule. If anything the drug dealers would've been out there with guns searching for whoever took this kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Double