All things swine flu (H1N1)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
AmandaBrown23- Best regards for your family's health, and I hope your fears will soon be replaced with relief.

Oh no... I have a feeling it is going to be a horrible school year for kids and the flu. I hope it doesn't spread like crazy.

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The H1N1 flu virus could cause up to 90,000 U.S. deaths, mainly among children and young adults, if it resurges this fall as expected, according to a report released Monday by a presidential advisory panel.

The H1N1 virus, commonly known as swine flu virus, could infect between 30 percent and 50 percent of the American population during the fall and winter and lead to as many as 1.8 million U.S. hospital admissions, the President's Council of Advisors on Science and Technology reported.
The report says 30,000 to 90,000 deaths are projected as part of a "plausible scenario" involving large outbreaks at schools, inadequate antiviral supplies and the virus peaking before vaccinations have time to be effective

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/08/24/us.swine.flu.projections/index.html

This is a good reminder for me that I need to stock up on food and necessities a little more just in case I don't want to chance going to a crowded store. If it gets that bad I'll also take kids out of school and stay at home as much as possible.

Hi, AmandaBrown32.

Please take care of yourself and the kids. I am in northeast Louisiana and there are a few cases here. That number will most likely increase soon. I think this flu is one that can cause death when someone already has some medical problems. If you and your children are healthy otherwise, it may be no worse than a case of the regular flu from what a doctor friend of the family told me. I have also heard that on TV.

My mother will be 86 next month and is in an assisted living facility. I worry about her.

Anyway, please take care and keep us advised!

I'm saying a little prayer for all of the WSers who work in hospitals, like me. I'm terrified - I try not to think about it...I have to take immunosuppressants and I'm scared...haven't' been wearing a mask until today, but finally admitted to myself that since I work in a building with an infectious disease clinic, I should! =p Quitting smoking, too - if this is mostly respiratory, quitting smoking would help anyone greatly....wanted to anyway, so this is a good excuse. :::sigh:::

I'm pretty scared about Swine Flu this year :( I'm still debating about the swine flu vaccine..is anyone on here getting one?

I'm pretty scared about Swine Flu this year :( I'm still debating about the swine flu vaccine..is anyone on here getting one?

Yes Kaylynn all six of us are getting the vaccine this year. But we get the mist every year anyway. I wonder will this be a mist or a shot?

BTW, we live on the border now and it was reported yesterday on national news that the vaccine could be ready as early as mid October.

I never have reservations about getting a flu vaccine. I've only had the flu once in my life and within days I had developed a secondary infection of pneumonia in all lobes of my lungs. Very scary to me, because at the time I was in my 30's, had a great immune system and I became extremely ill.

No, I am not getting one at this point. Do some reading on this vaccine before you decide, I just posted some links in the political pav.

I am the opposite of Kat, I have avoided vaccines and I work in different hospitals. I believe in vaccines overall but I am uncomfortable with some of the additives, especially when there is a rush to mass produce them.....

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...void-flu-shots-vitamin-d-is-a-better-way.aspx

No, I am not getting one at this point. Do some reading on this vaccine before you decide, I just posted some links in the political pav.

I am the opposite of Kat, I have avoided vaccines and I work in different hospitals. I believe in vaccines overall but I am uncomfortable with some of the additives, especially when there is a rush to mass produce them.....

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...void-flu-shots-vitamin-d-is-a-better-way.aspx

I'm with you on this MG. I am very leery of the Swine flu vaccine.

I am terrified for my two very young children this fall :(

I am very leery as well, I do have an autoimmune disease, I do get the regular flu shot. I saw on TV last week a discussion on the production of this vaccine and I was QUITE disturbed. Apparently, this is being produced in 2 ways....if you are lucky enough to go to a physician's offices and get the vaccine it is produced with out a preservative(can't remember the name) a single dosage.....The production that is for health departments....or any place a vial can be used several times to save MONEY..... This is so unfair...why should the folks who can not afford it.....be given the same vaccine with ADDED mercury to preserve and be at risk for the mercury affect? Or course the FDA states the mercury is used in all types of vaccines mass produced to SAVE COST. I think this is BS....the vaccine should be produced all the same....saving a few bucks for multiple usage vials...they all should be SINGLE dose vials.

No, I'm not getting one. I am not against vaccines generally but this one seems rushed and it doesn't seem to have been tested properly or extensively.

This hype bugs me.

I had the swine flu in July and so did Mr. Zig who has CHF and Lupus - so you'd think he's in the high risk catagory.

It was a bad flu - no question it took about 6 weeks for us to really feel better but I have had a worse flu in my life.

I wonder if all the "DEATH HYPE" is so that people will buy into this vaccine out of FEAR.

Just wonderin'

I don't believe in vaccines anyway.

Two family members here just diagnosed w/ SF. Both have 102 temp, terrible headache, cough, etc etc. Started on steriods and prednisone. School now has warning on website other cases reported, so it is in this state but not much local news about it. One has bad asthma, so I'm glad the dr. got them right in.

I am really worried for both my kids. I am very pro vaccine but in this case there are risks that I am not sure I am comfortable taking. School began yesterday and the district is really pushing the hygeine issue as am I. My kids each carry hand sanitizer in their backpacks and I am toying with the idea of the ones that attach to belts or belt loops. I watched such a great feature on Today yesterday where they showed a family how germs transfer by putting a powder on their hands and then using a black light later to show how many surfaces picked it up. It was astounding. Also...a big mention about taking shoes off at the door to avoid bringing germs into your home. My biggest concern is the issue of parents sending sick kids to school so they can go to work or because the kids have an activity they don't want to miss. Too many kids sit in the classroom that should be home in bed. That is what scares me the most......others apathy.

I am really worried for both my kids. I am very pro vaccine but in this case there are risks that I am not sure I am comfortable taking. School began yesterday and the district is really pushing the hygeine issue as am I. My kids each carry hand sanitizer in their backpacks and I am toying with the idea of the ones that attach to belts or belt loops. I watched such a great feature on Today yesterday where they showed a family how germs transfer by putting a powder on their hands and then using a black light later to show how many surfaces picked it up. It was astounding. Also...a big mention about taking shoes off at the door to avoid bringing germs into your home. My biggest concern is the issue of parents sending sick kids to school so they can go to work or because the kids have an activity they don't want to miss. Too many kids sit in the classroom that should be home in bed. That is what scares me the most......others apathy.

I so totally agree with what you said....and I posted on another swine flu thread that I am considering pulling my 4 year old out of preschool (hasn't started yet). I talked to the administrator of the school over the weekend about my concerns about swine flu and young children (you know how they're always touching each other, getting in each other's faces, etc., and don't wash hands alot). I asked if they could use hand santizer on all the kids before they entered the classroom, and again, when they left, but she said they couldn't, because they are mandated by Children and Family Services (because it's a daycare care held in a regular school, I guess) and CFS has rules about NOT using hand sanitizer on preschoolers.

This hype bugs me.

I had the swine flu in July and so did Mr. Zig who has CHF and Lupus - so you'd think he's in the high risk catagory.

It was a bad flu - no question it took about 6 weeks for us to really feel better but I have had a worse flu in my life.

I wonder if all the "DEATH HYPE" is so that people will buy into this vaccine out of FEAR.

Just wonderin'

I don't believe in vaccines anyway.

Is it hype? We'll probably never know.
What I do know, though, is that I don't want to take chances with my children, if they can be avoided.

There will be no vaccine until after school has started, which seems to be the way H1N1 will spread, so what was the purpose of this news when there is no solution? Think how many germs are floating around grocery store, the dry cleaners, fast food establishments, hardware store, clothing stores. What about plane flights? H1N1 could be lurking anywhere. We can't all hide.

I'm not taking the vaccine because I've read too many reports that it may not be safe at this time. I can stay in if it comes to it, because I don't work and can get stocked up enough on groceries if I need to stay in. I'd only do that though if many many people started dying from swine flu.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
faefawn
Back