Found Alive Canada - Wanzhen Lu, 22, Kidnapped, Markham, Ontario, 24 Mar 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Questions dog bizarre kidnapping of Chinese student
"Wanzhen Lu is now safely out of harm’s way.

His kidnappers are still at large.

But a slew of nagging questions are emerging about the bizarre incident that unfolded in the garage of the 22-year-old Chinese student’s Markham condo.

Cops say Lu was released from the hospital on Wednesday and was scheduled to be reunited with his family later in the day.

— Why was there no demand for ransom?

— Why was Lu’s companion unharmed in the incident?

— What made Lu a target?

— And why was the luxury-loving student finally released 150 kilometres away in Gravenhurst?"

This is such a mystery, especially not knowing the motive.

He may return to China with his parents.

Has it ever been noted how long WL has been in Canada on a student Visa? Who owns the condo he lives at? Is this the norm for international students? Buying expensive cars and condos. I was under the impression they usually lived on or just off campus and spent all their time studying, making only a few friends to socialize with.

International students tend to fall into two categories: the majority, who are in Canada to get a good education and who often live in (what we would consider) substandard housing near campus; and a minority, primarily from China, who live high on the hog in Daddy’s fancy condo and are basically here to sow their wild oats.

The Yorkville University "campus" WL attends is in an old commercial building, with other tenants like Toronto Film School and couple Accounting firms.
Google Maps

It's a third rate school at best.
They interviewed the school President and to me he looks and sounds shadier than a water heater salesperson.
Kidnapped Markham man Wanzhen Lu's school calls news of release 'huge relief'

Apparently WL's English is quite poor so I'm pretty confident he's not actually studying here and this "school" and others like it are just another loophole some <modsnip> are exploiting to get Canadian residency.

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed. It may be in his best interest to sell back his car collection and return to China pronto. However, I wonder if he is permitted to leave Canada considering the ongoing investigation.
There should be no reason why WL would not be allowed to leave the country. He isn't being detained by LE. Can you imagine the reaction from the Chinese Consuluate on behalf of Beijing if WL was NOT allowed to leave? ... However, if he were to be charged with a criminal offense, that'd be a totally different story.

There should be no reason why WL would not be allowed to leave the country. He isn't being detained by LE. Can you imagine the reaction from the Chinese Consuluate on behalf of Beijing if WL was NOT allowed to leave? ... However, if he were to be charged with a criminal offense, that'd be a totally different story.
If he leaves then he still has to return when those guys are caught. A victim has much role to play, for justice to be served. I am not local, don't know how it works in Ontario/Canada. Jmo

If he leaves then he still has to return when those guys are caught. A victim has much role to play, for justice to be served. I am not local, don't know how it works in Ontario/Canada. Jmo
I completely agree that the victim has an important role to play. I'm just pointing out that there is nothing legally compelling this Chinese citizen to physically travel back to Canada if his role is only that of witness or victim. If he were back home in China and charged with a crime, then Canada (via Justice Minister / AG / RCMP) could make an extradition request to China to 'force' him back to Canada.

... If he were back home in China and charged with a crime, then Canada (via Justice Minister / AG / RCMP) could make an extradition request to China to 'force' him back to Canada.

There is currently no extradition treaty in place between Canada and China. Any request would be seeking a political favour and likewise would be expected in return. Would be pretty tough with the current state of Chinese-Canadian relations.

YRP need to get the suspects ASAP , if WL leaves now there’s nothing at all compelling him to come back.

If the police have determined the motive of the kidnapping, then the investigation will move forward quickly. The last statement from the police was that Mr. Lu did not know what the motive was.

There are so many possibilities. Until they uncover the motive, at least they can continue to try to track down the perpetrators.

Was this a "scam" directed towards Wanzhen? This is just one possibility. This is only a thought of mine.

Below are excerpts from news articles concerning different scams directed towards students from China in schools in Canada:

Montreal police warn of a kidnapping scam aimed at Chinese students
"The victim is then manipulated into staging their own kidnapping. To save the family member – who is actually completely safe – the student is told to go into hiding and fake a kidnapping video."

"Victims are asked to rent a hotel room and avoid any interaction on social media or with the police, under threat of retaliation against their family in China."

How fraudsters tricked an international student in Toronto into her own fake kidnapping | CBC News

"It started, Zhang said, when his daughter got a call at her rental home near campus. It was a man's voice, purporting to be from the local Chinese consulate.

The man said her personal information had been stolen, used to open a bank account linked to illegal dealings and that Interpol was looking for her.

The caller told her to go into hiding and cut off communication with anyone she knew. Otherwise, the criminals who stole her information could track her down and hurt her family."

Fake kidnapping sparks police hunt for missing Chinese student in Halifax | CBC News
"Police said the scam usually targets female Chinese students abroad. It starts when someone calls the student and tells her Chinese police want to arrest her, or that Chinese police need her help."

"The scammers get the victim to record videos that make the kidnapping look real. They use the videos to extort money from the family. The victim is told to hide from Canadian police."

"Just my own thoughts and/or opinions" - Zencompass

Last edited:
If the police have determined the motive of the kidnapping, then the investigation will move forward quickly. The last statement from the police was that Mr. Lu did not know what the motive was.

There are so many possibilities. Until they uncover the motive, at least they can continue to try to track down the perpetrators.

Was this a "scam" directed towards Wanzhen? This is just one possibility. This is only a thought of mine.

Below are excerpts from news articles concerning different scams directed towards students from China in schools in Canada:

Montreal police warn of a kidnapping scam aimed at Chinese students
"The victim is then manipulated into staging their own kidnapping. To save the family member – who is actually completely safe – the student is told to go into hiding and fake a kidnapping video."

"Victims are asked to rent a hotel room and avoid any interaction on social media or with the police, under threat of retaliation against their family in China."

How fraudsters tricked an international student in Toronto into her own fake kidnapping | CBC News

"It started, Zhang said, when his daughter got a call at her rental home near campus. It was a man's voice, purporting to be from the local Chinese consulate.

The man said her personal information had been stolen, used to open a bank account linked to illegal dealings and that Interpol was looking for her.

The caller told her to go into hiding and cut off communication with anyone she knew. Otherwise, the criminals who stole her information could track her down and hurt her family."

Fake kidnapping sparks police hunt for missing Chinese student in Halifax | CBC News
"Police said the scam usually targets female Chinese students abroad. It starts when someone calls the student and tells her Chinese police want to arrest her, or that Chinese police need her help."

"The scammers get the victim to record videos that make the kidnapping look real. They use the videos to extort money from the family. The victim is told to hide from Canadian police."

"Just my own thoughts and/or opinions" - Zencompass
Wondering if WL ever dealt in/with bitcoins? speculation, imo.
Ws thread.
Found Safe - Canada - 3 Chinese students, ages 16-20, missing in extortion scam, Toronto, Nov 2017

Wow. I've never seen it so clearly spelled out that China is making decisions because of Huawei and the extradition request from the USA.

"We like this film very much. We have made every effort, but as you know, the censorship in China is very strict and the standards are constantly changing. We tried many ways to get the film through, but failed. It's not the film itself that has political problems, it's going abroad (I'm sure you've heard about Huawei). So we are very sorry."​

Toronto filmmaker's work pulled from Chinese festival for 'political reasons' | CBC News

I do think that the swift reaction from the gov't in China could be related to the Huawei issue. Thankfully he was quickly released more or less unharmed, or more Canadians might be detained and accused of spying.

Wow. I've never seen it so clearly spelled out that China is making decisions because of Huawei and the extradition request from the USA.

"We like this film very much. We have made every effort, but as you know, the censorship in China is very strict and the standards are constantly changing. We tried many ways to get the film through, but failed. It's not the film itself that has political problems, it's going abroad (I'm sure you've heard about Huawei). So we are very sorry."​

Toronto filmmaker's work pulled from Chinese festival for 'political reasons' | CBC News

I do think that the swift reaction from the gov't in China could be related to the Huawei issue. Thankfully he was quickly released more or less unharmed, or more Canadians might be detained and accused of spying.
Or wealthy Chinese Nationals might be discouraged in a variety of ways from sending offspring/ money here.
speculation, imo.

The man who 'found' WL is delightful.

'Help me I've been kidnapped': Gravenhurst resident springs into action
  • [DW] said Lu was disoriented as “he did not have his glasses on and said he was near sighted, so he had no idea where he was.”
  • [DW] described the victim as being shaken up and as “a very nice young lad but scared sh*tless obviously.”
  • “I guess they beat him up a little bit and tasered him when they kidnapped him … you can look into somebody’s eyes and know they are distraught and he was just rattled … they hooded him, so he didn’t know where he was, and he was out in the cold in just a sweatshirt and jeans. He still had the duct tape on his sweater as he managed to get the hood off him … he was one scared young kid,” [DW] said.

Or wealthy Chinese Nationals might be discouraged in a variety of ways from sending offspring/ money here.
speculation, imo.

I don't really think so. Canada is the land of milk and honey compared to China. One or two issues with young adults is not likely to discourage other families from working towards securing land and citizenship in Canada.

Trump's remarks about dropping tariffs in relation to the extradition order for Huawei has caused Canada big problems with China, and China is now punishing Canada. The USA has done nothing to assist. I suspect that most people in the USA have no idea how their government has created many problems for Canadians. The crazy thing is that the problem with Huawei has something to do with the USA and Iran. Canada, on the other hand, has embraced Huawei technology and investments.

This will blow over because China wants a piece of Canada and nothing will stop it. The student at the centre of this today will be safer in Canada than China, especially if this was a stunt to extort more money from his parents.

... just an opinion

Chinese guy in Winnipeg faked his own kidnapping with a friend’s help last year.
Not much reported on it until March 21 2019 when his buddy was arrested and charged. WL gets kidnapped 2 days after .

Kidnapping 'victim' faked crime with accomplice, police allege

Pair charged after kidnapping scheme

I wonder if his whole family could be granted some sort of residency or citizenship in Canada because of the kidnapping. Trudeau does like to make a fuss of over those less fortunate.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CooperDeVille
Back