Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely! Public record shows that the couple previously used a Real Estate Power of Attorney (POA) document to conduct business in Indiana.

A power of attorney for real estate is a useful, but limited, legal document that allows you to give someone the authority to buy or sell real estate for you, or to conduct any other business concerning real estate that you own.

The real question here is why SM's POA was revoked or non-existent if they were subject to such an important, pending transaction.

It's evident that there was also no Durable Power of Attorney between SM and BM -- notwithstanding SM's prior health issues.

I think it's fair to say that for most longterm couples (married for 25+ years), this is a no brainer. MOO
Unless there is a reason she did not want to give him her POA? The prior was specific to a single real estate transaction - so I find the lack of one in place (DPOA or even a springing POA) considering her health issues quite remarkable
JMO

That's the problem: one can't possibly see what a grieving spouse says or does in the privacy of his/her own home & among loved ones.
It appears that BM’s kind of private grieving entails selling, buying, making arrangements for property improvements, phone calls with his attorney, well drillers, paving contractors and shuffling around $$$ (likely SM’s $$$). Not to mention biting at the bit to list their house and get on outta there! And, I just can’t envision him doing it with tears and a box of Kleenex at his side. Nope. Not seeing it.....AT ALL! I see him grieving for himself when the walls start closing in, when he realizes (if he hasn’t already) that LE didn’t buy the fictional narrative he has written in his imagination and his future accommodation is looking more like a 9 x 12 cell courtesy CCSO (sans hunting decor) than a posh luxury home in Salida.

That man hasn’t shown one morsel of genuine grief publicly and I doubt he’s capable of any heartfelt grief in private either. His acting skills are seriously wanting. JMHO

Oh, I see the significance. I just don't see hard evidence linking a given person to a given action.
I have a question. Have you ever been at your office and become so enraged with a client that you threw everything off your desk onto the floor and then body slammed them?
Me either.
To be honest, I don't know one person in my entire life that has gotten into a physical fight with another human being at work.

I've watched this case from the beginning, and there is one thought which is purely speculative on my part that keeps persisting. Is it possible this was a "murder for hire"?

Good question. Can't rule it out, IMO. It would have had to be "abduction + murder" for hire.

Possibly this? Hit occurs before Mothers Day, BM's part of the deal was to stage the bike, and that was done poorly. Interesting post, thank you.

ETA: "abduction + murder + disposal"

if a spouse wanted to end the life of the other spouse that had cancer and was under treatment i would think that during that time would be the chance to do it. little would be questioned if the dead spouse was found looking like they died in their sleep or something, i doubt a autopsy would be ordered, it would likely be marked up to death from the illness. if her spouse wanted to kill her the chance that would lead to little questions if any had already presented. that doesn't rule out a sudden unplanned act though, but sudden unplanned acts i wouldn't think are done so clean with so little evidence left.

the pacing at the friends house could be a lot of things. some people pace when they think, some pace when they worry.

I think that is a possibility, but very low on my list. Why would they remove her body? What would the advantage of her remaining missing and not found deceased? If it was a hit, wouldn't they want her found?

Lions and tigers and bears, oh my!
I think his impromptu (recorded) ramblings showed his spaghetti throwing hand. Some perp did not want cause, time, method of death exposed....she may never be found.
Perp can continue on naturally, not be incarcerated & (ding, ding,ding) be a victim also.

MOO

It appears that BM’s kind of private grieving entails selling, buying, making arrangements for property improvements, phone calls with his attorney, well drillers, paving contractors and shuffling around $$$ (likely SM’s $$$). Not to mention biting at the bit to list their house and get on outta there! And, I just can’t envision him doing it with tears and a box of Kleenex at his side. Nope. Not seeing it.....AT ALL! I see him grieving for himself when the walls start closing in, when he realizes (if he hasn’t already) that LE didn’t buy the fictional narrative he has written in his imagination and his future accommodation is looking more like a 9 x 12 cell courtesy CCSO (sans hunting decor) than a posh luxury home in Salida.

That man hasn’t shown one morsel of genuine grief publicly and I doubt he’s capable of any heartfelt grief in private either. His acting skills are seriously wanting. JMHO

RBBM shut the front door, he is trying to list their CO for sale now? Oh my.

Speculation
Allegation
Accusation
Correct me if I'm wrong but is speculation either allegation or accusation? I don't think it is, so if I clearly identify a comment as speculation it should not be construed to be either an allegation or accusation. But if I'm wrong I need to know so I don't repeat the same mistake. Thanks.

IMO

"Speculation" includes the "I think..." or "I believe..." and is someone's opinion, which is not evidence.

"Allegation" is a claim that someone has committed a crime or perpetrated a wrong, though the claimant has not submitted any proof of the assertion.

"Accusation" is a claim in which the claimant has proof or believes they have proof of their claim and can present that proof.

Where it gets dicey is when a person or persons make allegations and/or accusations verbally or in writing against someone else and there's no proof of such a claim. The claimant could be held legally responsible for defamation and could be sued for damages.

It's one reason why LE and DAs don't go around publicly declaring people responsible for a crime, don't call them POI or suspects until they have amassed evidence. They may believe it, they may discuss it amongst themselves, but they don't cross that line publicly *until* there's evidence and enough to make an arrest. The Richard Jewel case (1996 Atlanta bombing) was what altered LE's response thereafter as Mr. Jewel was publicly declared the suspect and responsible. He was innocent but his life was ruined.

Others, private citizens, can get themselves into hot water by defaming someone. And doing so online through Internet platforms, forums and social media, can be one avenue where this occurs. (An example of this is Alex Jones, who made all kinds of allegations and accusations against the parents of murdered children at Sandy Hook and has had multiple lawsuits filed against him).

/IMO

Last edited:
I have a question. Have you ever been at your office and become so enraged with a client that you threw everything off your desk onto the floor and then body slammed them?
Me either.
To be honest, I don't know one person in my entire life that has gotten into a physical fight with another human being at work.

This would point to a crime of passion, IMO. It's interesting, in that this would pretty much say this person is not a psychopath (could be psychotic!). I say that because a true psychopath is incapable of emotion, and an outburst like that would only happen if they thought it was what was expected for the situation - unlikely with it being a client, and the business implications. Cold logic would rule against it with a psychopath.

Where I'm going with this, is he has shown emotion, shown that he can be made angry. The implications for this case are that he very likely would be consumed be some emotion for the act, especially if he sees his daughters each day. This could very likely break him down in short order. It bears watching for self destructive behavior in the up coming weeks.

All very MOO.

*I am not a psychologist, I don't play one on TV, and it's been a really long time since I've stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.

RBBM shut the front door, he is trying to list their CO for sale now? Oh my.

Yeah Barry, what if she comes back home?

Reminds me of the missing wife case..husband on trial.
The Prosecutor points to the back entrance of the court room and yells
look ! there she is now!” Everyone turns around and looks except the husband.

MOO

Me either.

Do you know the year this occurred? Just very speculative on my part if this coincides with SM’s reduced posting about BM on fb that’s been reported here. Sort of an eye opener? IMO

Me either.
I do actually. I must be older than you. Lol.
My company is in construction too. It can get pretty hairy out there. Tempers can fly and do for a variety of reasons. Usually money and schedules.

I've watched this case from the beginning, and there is one thought which is purely speculative on my part that keeps persisting. Is it possible this was a "murder for hire"?

It very well could be murder for hire. The problem with that topic, for this forum, is that we cannot sleuth people or motives that have not yet been exposed in MSM.
In general, though, murder-for-hire is a very small percentage of charged murder cases in the United States, but it does happen. Few people realize that murder-for-hire is a federal offense. An investigation which is leaning that direction includes the FBI, and has a greater level of LE secrecy than other cases. We are usually "in the dark" until charges are filed and arrests are made. IMO

1107. Murder-for-Hire—The Offense

Absolutely! Public record shows that the couple previously used a Real Estate Power of Attorney (POA) document to conduct business in Indiana.

A power of attorney for real estate is a useful, but limited, legal document that allows you to give someone the authority to buy or sell real estate for you, or to conduct any other business concerning real estate that you own.

The real question here is why SM's POA was revoked or non-existent if they were subject to such an important, pending transaction.

It's evident that there was also no Durable Power of Attorney between SM and BM -- notwithstanding SM's prior health issues.

I think it's fair to say that for most longterm couples (married for 25+ years), this is a no brainer. MOO

In some states POAs, depending upon the type and circumstances, are only good for a certain number of years, unless one petitions to have it extended. They can lapse. That may be why one was not in place for this realestate transaction.

Me either.
I saw someone get real close to it. I was running a meeting where one senior manager (VP) was insulting one of the other senior managers who was working on the project, and the feedback provided about the product and what customers wanted *greatly displeased* the VP. He started calling the senior mgr names, saying he was "clueless." It was out of control. It got so bad I shut down the meeting immediately, told my Sr. VP (who was also in the meeting) that I would not allow this to happen in any meeting I ran, and we could go have a conversation with the CEO if necessary, but that kind of behavior was unacceptable and would stop. Had I not shut it down they would have come to blows. I didn't care if I got in trouble, they were 3 levels above me, but I was furious at their childish behavior. (I didn't get in trouble and the CEO did have 'words' with the obnoxious VP).

Just an observation that may or may not pertain to this case.

It's extremely difficult to use 911 when one is any notable distance away from the emergency. I had the unfortunate experience of trying to alert LE of a person missing 2 hours from my location at the time I placed the call to 911. I was routed, re-routed, and re-routed some more before I was finally connected to LE in the area of the emergency. I estimate that it took me no fewer than 20 minutes to reach LE in the vicinity of the emergency. Each time I was connected to a new agency, I had to explain again who I was, why I was calling, and supply details of the missing person. When I finally reached local LE, they requested that someone local be at the scene to let them in to do a welfare check and proceed with a missing person report if warranted.

It's possible, as BM is a firefighter, that he knew of the obstacles of using the 911 system from a distance or that the report needs to be filed locally to where the person resides/went missing.
Good morning GoBuckeyes...yes that makes total sense but did you miss the direct to 911 discussions? Because I have a feeling it’s going to start again. :eek: Apparently an upgrade had recently been implemented in Co where when you call 911 you can choose instantly to be connected to the city you need help in. Someone from the area can better explain it. Also BM was a volunteer firefighter and would know this about 911 and he also could have called one of his firefighter buddies to go check on Suzanne. Now needing someone at the house to meet LE after 911 call is also a valid point. But again why call 70 year old neighbor instead of firefighter buddy? But if the daughters called the neighbor then she was already there. I hope the person you had to call 911 about being missing was found safely!

p.s. It was also brought up that BM didn’t want to make the call for another reason you mentioned...being asked a lot of questions about the person missing, when were they last seen and spoken to etc...with every answer being recorded on the 911 call.

Last edited:
I think they do look like a happy family. And a beautiful family!

But.... many years ago, my best friends brother’s family looked the same. I thought they were perfect and what I wanted my future to look like. Until one night, after a family gathering, he walked me to my car and during the usual hug goodbye he tried to kiss me! Then slipped me his card and asked me to call if I was interested in getting together sometime. Um, that’s a hard no!

Not meant to be off topic. Just noting that picture perfect families are sometimes not.

MOO there aren't any perfect families, because there aren't any perfect humans. Life is messy, and the more people gush on social media, the more suspicious I am about how "perfect" a life they have. AMOO

I do actually. I must be older than you. Lol.
My company is in construction too. It can get pretty hairy out there. Tempers can fly and do for a variety of reasons. Usually money and schedules.
Where they physically hit someone else? I can see shouting or cursing but it's got to take an awful lot of emotion to become so unhinged that you would actually lay a hand on someone else. And I don't live a sheltered life ( maybe I do ;))

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia