Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #57

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
He shows a chart in this one that answers @CSIDreamer's question--- US 252/milllion.
He was comparing this to India's 2/million.

Think about how amazing this is when India is so crowded with over a billion people...
Is India’s population young? And maybe the fittest have survived until now. Just thinking. IMO

Trump says he takes hydroxychloroquine to prevent coronavirus infection even though it's an unproven treatment

President Donald Trump said Monday that he has been taking anti-malaria drug hydroxychloroquine for over a week to prevent coronavirus infection even though it is not yet a proven treatment.

“I happen to be taking it,” Trump said during a roundtable event at the White House. “A lot of good things have come out. You’d be surprised at how many people are taking it, especially the front-line workers. Before you catch it. The front-line workers, many, many are taking it.”

He added: “I’m taking it, hydroxychloroquine. Right now, yeah. Couple of weeks ago, I started taking it. Cause I think it’s good, I’ve heard a lot of good stories.”

Trump also said that he is taking zinc, and that he has taken an initial dose of azithromycin, or Z-Pak.

Trump, meanwhile, refuses to wear a mask, which medical experts have advised as a way to limit the spread of the virus.

You know, almost everyone hubby and I have talked to thinks they've had it. There's a new antibody test site a few miles from here and I've been tempted to get tested but now I don't know if I want to spend the $65. If everyone who thinks they've had it really did, then some of us should be dead by now IMO.

Something that really concerns me though, of the many out there who think they've had it, are they taking less precautions?

Is India’s population young? And maybe the fittest have survived until now. Just thinking. IMO

Both are good theories. Apparently the big cities have really emptied out.

And, there’s evidence that people who’ve had more contagious diseases have better immune systems (or recent vaccinations as well).

Yes, India also has lots of younger people. However, with over 1 billion total population, one would think the population density factor would be in play.

I’m still searching for answers as to such varying rates of CoVid around the world.

I received the results of my coronavirus antibody test on Saturday. I posted some background last week on why I chose to get the test (italics)-

Just signed up for a coronavirus antibody test. Tomorrow at 11:45AM. $130. Couple of days turnaround, I think.
Why? I think I had coronavirus, and would put the odds at 75%. This would likely mean my wife and daughters had it as well since we have been together for 2 months.

My symptoms-

Late February, early March: I felt off for about two and half weeks, experiencing unusual fatigue. I got winded and a little weak going up two sets of stairs where I never did before. I felt like I was running at 50-75% energy. The first week I was at my desk and felt a very strong fatigue come on and also felt slightly feverish. I took my temperature the next day but it was normal. From then, I just had the fatigue and my light cough persisted, tapering back to normal in a couple of weeks. Now none of this is particularly pointing to CV, but I suspect the virus since these were symptoms I never had before- I recall thinking that at the time. It wasn't until a month ago that I tied this episode to possibly being coronavirus.

My boss/colleague at work also had a month long cough, weakness etc before my episode. He joked about probably infecting everyone (10) at work with a cold, but this was before coronavirus was thought to be a possibility in Massachusetts.

So hoping for a great outcome- a positive reading. I repost with my results when I receive them.

The antibody test I am getting is by Quest Diagnostics.

Massachusetts has been hit pretty hard so maybe here in eastern MA there are 10% people that are AB positive. So my test has a false positive rate of ~ 1.25%. So out of 100 tests, there would be 10 accurate positive and 1.25 false positives (for my example), an 11% error rate. For a positive result, I would also then have my wife take it because if she tested positive as well, the false positive total error would be ~1%.

The Definitive Guide to Antibody Tests: What They Do, Where to Get Them, and How Much They Cost

So I have the results, but a little more detail. In the last week, I talked to a colleague at our small company of 10 people. He reminded me that at the beginning of February, five of the employees attended Photonics West in San Francisco, the biggest optics trade show in the U.S., and maybe the world. Upon returning, the attendees (age) had these outcomes-

EC (24)- very sick for a month
JN (57)- very sick for two weeks
SC (25)- not sick, but his girlfriend was diagnosed with COVID-19
AM (25)- not sick
AZ (25)- not sick

Not attending, but sick in this time period as well, was myself and the president, both 57. After revisiting this info, I bumped up my odds of having had CV to 90%.

So the test results came back with the following diagnosis: Negative for coronavirus antibodies.

Update #71 of Dr. Roger Seheult (Med Cram) talks about antibody tests.... From what i think I learned, there are only 4 labs generating these tests...three in Germany and 1 in the US. They are not all 100% accurate. I wonder if you know which one you got???? I cannot adequately discuss "sensitivity" vs "specificity". ... but he explains it a bit, not too much though.

Coronavirus will 'delete Yemen from maps all over the world'

Coronavirus will 'delete Yemen from maps all over the world'

Mark Stone, Middle East correspondent
6 hrs ago
The impact of coronavirus on Yemen will be devastating after years of civil war, the head of the United Nations Refugee Agency in the country has told Sky News.

Speaking from the Yemeni capital, Sana'a, Jean-Nicolas Beuze said the number of suspected COVID-19 cases in the country appears to be multiplying fast and, at the same time, international aid agencies are being forced to abandon critical programmes.
"It's very difficult for the public health authorities despite all their efforts to track the spread of the coronavirus. We don't have enough tests.
More than 24 million Yemenis - 80% of the population - are in need of humanitarian assistance. Half of the country's health facilities are dysfunctional and nearly a quarter of the country's districts have no doctors.

"We know that the immunity among the population is very low. We are speaking here about people who maybe eat once a day. We are speaking about children who have not been vaccinated," Mr Bouze said.

"We are speaking about people who have fled their homes because their homes were shelled or bombed and therefore do not have any livelihood."

"The coronavirus may be the straw which will break the camel's back in Yemen," Mr Beuze said via video link.
There is a hopelessness about it all too. Of the scores of people helping to deliver the bodies to the graveyard and to bury them, not one is wearing any protective clothing or a mask
"It's going to be a really big disaster for my country. Yemen is going to be deleted from maps all over the world. The situation is really dangerous."

WHO chief warns Europe must prepare for 2nd more deadly coronavirus wave this winter

WHO chief warns Europe must prepare for 2nd more deadly coronavirus wave this winter

Dave Burke
10 hrs ago
A top World Health Organisation medic says European countries must not "celebrate" declining death tolls - and focus on preparing for a second Covid-19 wave in the winter.

Dr Hans Kluge made the ominous warning as countries look to reduce lockdown restrictions.
Dr Kluge, director for the WHO European region, said he is "very concerned" that coronavirus could peak again as health services battle with winter flu.

I received the results of my coronavirus antibody test on Saturday. I posted some background last week on why I chose to get the test (italics)-

Just signed up for a coronavirus antibody test. Tomorrow at 11:45AM. $130. Couple of days turnaround, I think.
Why? I think I had coronavirus, and would put the odds at 75%. This would likely mean my wife and daughters had it as well since we have been together for 2 months.

My symptoms-

Late February, early March: I felt off for about two and half weeks, experiencing unusual fatigue. I got winded and a little weak going up two sets of stairs where I never did before. I felt like I was running at 50-75% energy. The first week I was at my desk and felt a very strong fatigue come on and also felt slightly feverish. I took my temperature the next day but it was normal. From then, I just had the fatigue and my light cough persisted, tapering back to normal in a couple of weeks. Now none of this is particularly pointing to CV, but I suspect the virus since these were symptoms I never had before- I recall thinking that at the time. It wasn't until a month ago that I tied this episode to possibly being coronavirus.

My boss/colleague at work also had a month long cough, weakness etc before my episode. He joked about probably infecting everyone (10) at work with a cold, but this was before coronavirus was thought to be a possibility in Massachusetts.

So hoping for a great outcome- a positive reading. I repost with my results when I receive them.

The antibody test I am getting is by Quest Diagnostics.

Massachusetts has been hit pretty hard so maybe here in eastern MA there are 10% people that are AB positive. So my test has a false positive rate of ~ 1.25%. So out of 100 tests, there would be 10 accurate positive and 1.25 false positives (for my example), an 11% error rate. For a positive result, I would also then have my wife take it because if she tested positive as well, the false positive total error would be ~1%.

The Definitive Guide to Antibody Tests: What They Do, Where to Get Them, and How Much They Cost

So I have the results, but a little more detail. In the last week, I talked to a colleague at our small company of 10 people. He reminded me that at the beginning of February, five of the employees attended Photonics West in San Francisco, the biggest optics trade show in the U.S., and maybe the world. Upon returning, the attendees (age) had these outcomes-

EC (24)- very sick for a month
JN (57)- very sick for two weeks
SC (25)- not sick, but his girlfriend was diagnosed with COVID-19
AM (25)- not sick
AZ (25)- not sick

Not attending, but sick in this time period as well, was myself and the president, both 57. After revisiting this info, I bumped up my odds of having had CV to 90%.

So the test results came back with the following diagnosis: Negative for coronavirus antibodies.

I also mention today's youtube video of Dr. John Campbell. He goes on for a great while about some tests in Boston showing a very high antibody level. I am not sure if you are in Boston, or north to Middlesex, or south to Norfolk... he keeps mentioning "Boston" specifically.... but if you haven't seen it, you might be interested.

I feel gutted for you that you didn't get the result you hoped for, so sorry

Appreciate that, thanks. As well as the discussion of your journey.

The negative result is not a big deal for me, but it would be nice to not be infectious for a period that I think would last through a second wave. I do catch the reports of people getting CV a second time etc, but until I see some real data proving this, I won't take a lot of notice. The media has misled me too many times thus far (or tried to mislead me).

I used to think that I was quite health conscious and quite clean.

Do you shudder about all of the "gross" stuff that you used to do?

Salad bars, movie theaters, gyms, shaking hands, attending church!

Remember how every one thought Michael Jackson was weird? He always wore gloves, a face mask, never wanted to shake hands or touch things? Now, he was really just ahead of his time.
Michael Jackson 'predicted coronavirus and that's why he wore a facemask'
I didn't use to think those things were gross, and I don't now. As for MJ, well, by all accounts he had issues.

I also mention today's youtube video of Dr. John Campbell. He goes on for a great while about some tests in Boston showing a very high antibody level. I am not sure if you are in Boston, or north to Middlesex, or south to Norfolk... he keeps mentioning "Boston" specifically.... but if you haven't seen it, you might be interested.

Thanks, I'll check it out. I am south of Worcester but work in Burlington near the mall, which is kind of a hot spot. I did see the Boston Globe article that showed the AB results.

One little thing that has snuck under the radar. Massachusetts has a far higher death rate per 1 million than the hardest hit countries in the world at 841. Higher than Belgium, Italy, Spain etc. From my perspective it is a little weird, since I literally don't know anyone personally that has died from or had CV-19. And I know a lot of people and am active of social media. I just hear 3rd account stories of a few people that had it. Of course if I lived in Charlestown, it would be a different story.

Hospitals, health care sector reel from COVID-19 damage

The financial damage to our healthcare system is devastating. I really hope it can bounce back, as I hope to be able to keep a job for next several years. Not to mention, I hope if and when I need a doctor, there's one available and still open.
We’ve had two doctors decide to retire early during this time, their offices called and referred to new doctors. Another one quit family practice since it had been shuttered for two months and is going into concierge partnership with another doctor.

We’ve had two doctors decide to retire early during this time, their offices called and referred to new doctors. Another one quit family practice since it had been shuttered for two months and is going into concierge partnership with another doctor.

We don't even know what's going on with our local (satellite) office. "We're closed right now. We may stay closed or we may not. In the interim, call this other number". New doctor time for me. Jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bshie