Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #82

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
<snipping to self-moderate> But really, this thread is important to a lot of us. I’ve been here since day 1 with Amonet and I’d like to still be here with you people when we can finally toss our masks in the trash and breathe a big-arse sigh of relief.

Last edited:
Things are getting really bad in France. Paris hospitals are now moving into emergency mode.

Hospitals in the Paris region have moved into emergency mode, cancelling staff holidays and postponing non-essential operations, as coronavirus patients made up close to half of all patients in intensive care units (ICUs).

“Given the pressure on emergency room beds and regular hospital beds, I have asked medical institutions in the region to activate their emergency plan to mobilise all resources and anticipate the coming days,” Paris region health director, Aurelien Rousseau, said.

Paris hospitals postpone non-essential operations – as it happened

Two pieces of good news here.
One, that Washington state is trying to keep its small businesses open and continuing.
Two, that they have extended the eviction moratorium in Washington state.

Washington state governor announces $15 million grant for small businesses

The grant is part of an assistance program to help keep small businesses running. Inslee said businesses had already received $25 million in grants previously to help keep "small businesses afloat."

Inslee also announced that rent eviction moratoriums will be extended through Dec. 31. The moratorium was set to expire this week.

Coronavirus update: Latest world news for October 8

Last edited:
Things are getting really bad in France. Paris hospitals are now moving into emergency mode.

Hospitals in the Paris region have moved into emergency mode, cancelling staff holidays and postponing non-essential operations, as coronavirus patients made up close to half of all patients in intensive care units (ICUs).

“Given the pressure on emergency room beds and regular hospital beds, I have asked medical institutions in the region to activate their emergency plan to mobilise all resources and anticipate the coming days,” Paris region health director, Aurelien Rousseau, said.

Paris hospitals postpone non-essential operations – as it happened
Very sad

Oh my! Both I and my immune compromised DH have been wearing masks and mostly staying home in our own little bubble of two since March, except for necessary trips to local small pharmacy and grocery store. We have often been the only mask wearers. Today, however we ventured off to our nearest Costco, an hours drive away, to do a large restock and to purchase turkey and pumpkin pie for this Sunday’s Canadian Thanksgiving. I was standing in the huge line up waiting for entry to the store. Hubby had gone back to get a second buggy. So, when I looked back to see where he was, and as my eyes scanned the long snake like line searching for his face, I realized that everyone was standing six feet apart and almost everyone was wearing a mask. It hit me so suddenly....the sad reality....like a slap in the face. My thoughts were “God Bless each of you” and “ my God what has become of us.” as I realized I had tears streaming down my face and found myself really struggling to regain composure. So bless each of you too,,,,,take care and stay safe.

I hope this hasn’t been already posted. I apologize, if so. I thought it was interesting.
(I am behind in reading all the postings.)

https://www.cedars-sinai.org/newsroom/early-covid-19-cases-in-southern-california-linked-to-new-york/

Most COVID-19 (coronavirus) patients in Southern California during the early months of the pandemic appear to have been infected by a variant of the SARS-CoV-2 virus introduced to the region from New York state via Europe, not directly from China, where the virus was first detected, according to a new study conducted at Cedars-Sinai.

Specifically, investigators found that about 15% of the virus samples taken from the COVID-19 patients at Cedars-Sinai between March 22 and April 15 were genetically similar to published profiles of SARS-CoV-2 viruses from Asia, while 82% shared close similarities with variants originating in Europe.

Oh my! Both I and my immune compromised DH have been wearing masks and mostly staying home in our own little bubble of two since March, except for necessary trips to local small pharmacy and grocery store. We have often been the only mask wearers. Today, however we ventured off to our nearest Costco, an hours drive away, to do a large restock and to purchase turkey and pumpkin pie for this Sunday’s Canadian Thanksgiving. I was standing in the huge line up waiting for entry to the store. Hubby had gone back to get a second buggy. So, when I looked back to see where he was, and as my eyes scanned the long snake like line searching for his face, I realized that everyone was standing six feet apart and almost everyone was wearing a mask. It hit me so suddenly....the sad reality....like a slap in the face. My thoughts were “God Bless each of you” and “ my God what has become of us.” as I realized I had tears streaming down my face and found myself really struggling to regain composure. So bless each of you too,,,,,take care and stay safe.

This is good to hear. People really do care for one another. Although our village usually doesn't have line ups that are very long, I recently watched folks in a lineup at our grocery store move an elderly woman forward from the back, giving place to her one by one until she was in the front.

Since the first week of September the Minnesota Health Department has reported weekly the number of cases by zip code. Obviously, one cannot tell exactly where the cases are located, but knowing by zip code rather than just by county gives a better idea of places to avoid.

I hope this hasn’t been already posted. I apologize, if so. I thought it was interesting.
(I am behind in reading all the postings.)
Early COVID-19 Cases in Southern California Linked to NY

Us, too. The majority of our cases have stemmed from Europe. Closely followed by infections that have come from the US. Which is sort of surprising, because we have repatriated a lot of people from India and Asia.
Although the Asian communities generally protect themselves and others very well by using masks when they feel ill - which is their typical pre-pandemic behaviour.

IMO

The majority of people who have flown into Australia with coronavirus have come from Europe and America, it has been revealed.
A map was released by the Department of Health on Friday shows that more than a third of Australia's overseas cases were people who had travelled into the country from Europe.
Around a third of the cases were traced back to the United States.

xx2.JPG

Coronavirus: Shocking graphic shows most cases in Australia are imported from EUROPE | Daily Mail Online

Thank YOU for noticing and appreciating the effort so many people are making everywhere, despite the numbers. Many of us agree 100% with you.

New global index shows catastrophic failure to tackle inequality left majority of world’s countries woefully unprepared for COVID-19.

Norway tops index, United States flails at 26, South Sudan ranks last.

“Governments’ catastrophic failure to tackle inequality meant the majority of the world’s countries were critically ill-equipped to weather the pandemic. No country on earth was trying hard enough to reduce inequality and ordinary people are bearing the brunt of this crisis as a result. Millions of people have been pushed into poverty and hunger and there have been countless unnecessary deaths.”

New global index shows catastrophic failure to tackle inequality left majority of world’s countries woefully unprepared for COVID-19 | Oxfam International

Although the Asian communities generally protect themselves and others very well by using masks when they feel ill - which is their typical pre-pandemic behaviour.
IMO

You make a good point! I live in an area where there is a substational number of Chinese, and I think they were the first ones who adopted the wearing of masks here after the buzz about Wuhan started, even before any suggestion from our experts for the community to start donning them. I would also see Asian people covered up, pre-Covid, while out hiking—for sun protection. So, it helped make it very easy for me to adopt the practice!

I'm furious after watching the local news at my Mom's. They interviewed high school and university students, none of whom wanted their faces shown, who all admitted to ignoring social distancing guidelines while on lunch or after school. They couldn't not admit it - the news caught them all on camera socializing and huddling in groups. So in school they are distanced but once they're off property, they do whatever they want. And they know it's wrong but they do it anyway. While I sit with my 87 year-old dying Mom, who can't go anywhere and do anything in her final weeks/months because of Covid. The cops should be staking out all the schools and issuing charges/fines.

It's been more than five months since the Ruby Princess docked in Australian waters with its outbreak of coronavirus, and survivors of the doomed cruise ship are about to take the pursuit of justice in their own hands.

A police investigation is still ongoing but hundreds of the surviving passengers are intending to join a class action against ship owner Carnival Australia.

Like all the passengers, Mr Lake was told nothing during the voyage of the 104 acute respiratory infections the ship had listed on board.

Ms Temple said the cruise put passenger lives at risk for money.
She was also among the 900 onboard to contract COVID-19, along with her mum Elizabeth.

She claimed she asked cruise staff about the risk of the coronavirus before boarding.
"And she said, we would not put one passenger at risk, let alone a boat-full," Ms Temple said.

'Ruined my life': Ruby Princess passengers joining class action

While I feel so sorry for those who got sick and died from Covid- let me say this: you could not pay me to have gone on a cruise in the midst of a pandemic--- that statement the cruise staff allegedly made " we would not put one passenger at risk, let alone a boat full", is like a used car salesman saying, mam this car was driven by a little old lady who only drove this car to church --- i don't understand people. never have and never will.

I'm furious after watching the local news at my Mom's. They interviewed high school and university students, none of whom wanted their faces shown, who all admitted to ignoring social distancing guidelines while on lunch or after school. They couldn't not admit it - the news caught them all on camera socializing and huddling in groups. So in school they are distanced but once they're off property, they do whatever they want. And they know it's wrong but they do it anyway. While I sit with my 87 year-old dying Mom, who can't go anywhere and do anything in her final weeks/months because of Covid. The cops should be staking out all the schools and issuing charges/fines.
I understand your anger but I'd be willing to bet your time spent with your mom means everything to her right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove