Evidence revealed during the course of the Wrongful Death action

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thanks, Imp.

We get so caught up arguing about the trial schedule, various alibis, Rady video, motivation for murder, etc. that those who are newer to this case probably don't fully understand the timeline and actual evidence from the crime scene. It doesn't fit the suicide ruling, at all.

It helps to go back and revisit the details of the crime, the autopsy report, etc. to put it all back into perspective. Some really talented people in this forum have examined the evidence and brought out so much information above and beyond what SDSO reported.

I was thinking of bringing back some of the links to Cynic's drawings and calculations examining the details of Rebecca's wounds and the physical impossibility of suicide. He did some great stuff.

Sorry, Lucky, I'm not buying that.

Your photo reminds us again of the mud and dirt on RZ's feet and the rought, cheap plastic rope used to bind her legs.

How and why would Rebecca:

Take a shower in the master bath
Pull out a clump of hair and leave it on the shower well
Lay out her clothes for the next day in the master bedroom
Run out into the back courtyard to roll around in the grass and muddy her feet and hands, then get her back scratched up by branches/bushes
Run back into the house and up to the balcony bedroom
Bind her legs with duct tape; remove the duct tape and dispose of it somewhere outside the mansion property
Dispose of her dirty clothing worn that day somewhere outside of the mansion property
Retrieve a ski rope (allegedly from the garage); measure the rope and cut it into exact lengths
Bind her legs with rope in a cleat hitch knot with part of the ski rope
Attach the rope to the bed
Arrange a tug boat hitch knot into a noose around her neck
Wrap a shirt around her neck on top of the noose to stuff in her mouth
Retrieve her paints and brushes, hop over to the door and use them to paint the bizarre message
Smear some paint on her nipples and some how smear some on the middle of her back
Scatter some dryer sheets, gloves and a blanket and miscellanous other items on the floor,
Hop around some more, then tie the t-shirt and place the gag in her mouth
Tie the rough ski rope in the elaborate knot around her wrist
Find a way to strike 4 blows to her own head
Then hop to the door and catapult herself across the balcony and over the railing

I'm sure I've left a few things out, but no one can do all that in 30 minutes.

It would take at least an hour or so to dispose of her clothing and the duct tape she used to bind herself, then return to the mansion.
When she went to dispose of the duct tape and soiled clothing, did she leave the house in the nude or did she put on another outfit for the trip?

- She didn't pull a clump out of her hair. Women with long hair will take the hair from their hands and put it on the wall to keep it going down the drain. I know I do.
- She didn't didn't "roll around" in the courtyard. She walked to the courtyard barefooted, into the garage, and later, walked out on the dirty balcony. That was enough to ditry her feet. Plus, if you live at the beach and wear sandals, your feet stay dirty anyway.
- Her back was scratched by the Peruvian Cactus after she jumped.
- She didn't bind her legs with duct tape. That was athletic tape she wore when running.
- She didn't dispose of her clothing. Mary Zahau does not have it, so it is probably in evidence.
- She used simple slip knots combined with the Prisoners Rope Cuff technique.

Everything else she did. And it did not take her long. It took the girl in the Ch08 video less than 30 minutes!

Here is the evidence Rebecca murdered herself (and I did find more than 15!)

1. Seven week long investigation by four law enforcement agencies, including 15 detectives
2. DNA on door
3. DNA on small knife
4. DNA on the wrist bindings was only Rebecca's
5. DNA on the ankles bindings was only Rebecca’s
6. DNA on the.rope around her neck was only Rebecca’s
7. DNA on the rope attached to the footboard of the bed was only Rebecca’s
8. DNA inside tied knots
9. Fingerprints on large knife were only Rebecca’s
10. Fingerprints on tube of paint were only Rebecca’s
11. Fingerprints on bed leg were only Rebecca’s
12. Immediately around the area bed were several of Rebecca’s prints, and only Rebecca’s prints.
13. Bound footsteps on balcony consistent with her feet
14. Hands and ankles not tightly bound
15. hands easily removed from bindings
16. End of rope still in hand
17. No defensive wounds
18. No signs of a struggle
19. No sexual assault
20. No evidence of anyone else in the room at the time
21. No drugs in system
22. No sign of strangulation
23. Atypical ligature furrow consistent with the ligature around her neck
24. Conscious when she went over balcony
25. Waist-sized area where she went over showing in the railing
26. R on door matches R on her driver’s license
27. Entries in her phone diary
28. Testimony of those that were with her that last day that reported her as quiet and sad
29. She boarded her dog that morning.
30. She sent her sister, who had just arrived for a three week visit, home
31. The movie, The Housemaid, which she seemed to copy her suicide from
32. The book on Rope Binding Methods

Betty,

Great job! I think some people are purposely trying to confuse the issue by deflecting attention away from the very salient points that you addressed. Thank you for reminding us and putting it all into perspective. There is no way this was a suicide, none. So if it wasn't a suicide we must look at the most likely culprits. To get caught up in off topic garbage is distracting. Please keep reminding us of the true details! Thanks again.

Anyone want to try to explain how the Defendants "removed their DNA", as the Zahaus claim? :laughing:

Thanks, Imp.

We get so caught up arguing about the trial schedule, various alibis, Rady video, motivation for murder, etc. that those who are newer to this case probably don't fully understand the timeline and actual evidence from the crime scene. It doesn't fit the suicide ruling, at all.

It helps to go back and revisit the details of the crime, the autopsy report, etc. to put it all back into perspective. Some really talented people in this forum have examined the evidence and brought out so much information above and beyond what SDSO reported.

I was thinking of bringing back some of the links to Cynic's drawings and calculations examining the details of Rebecca's wounds and the physical impossibility of suicide. He did some great stuff.

Agree 100%. I was just looking at some of Cynic's posts the other day when I was checking some old threads here. The evidence pointing to homicide vs. suicide is, IMO, insurmountable.

Anyone want to try to explain how the Defendants "removed their DNA", as the Zahaus claim? :laughing:

They used gloves, a tried and true technique used by many criminals. Recall there were gloves at the crime scene.

What about arm hairs, head hair? With Adam, Dina, and Nina running around, then tossing Rebecca around to leave her prints all those places, they would have lost a hair, an eyelash....something. They certainly didn't vaccum or clean. You can see that in the suicide crime scene photos.

Where are these gloves that the Defendants used? How could Adam tie those "complicated knots" with gloves on? Impossible!

Rebecca also would have had bruises from Adam's hands all over her if they had placed her fingers in so many places in order to make prints. She had none.

Sorry Lucky but much of what you cite is either just wrong or not evidence of suicide - just to list a few (in no particular order):

As Betty has pointed out the defendants could very well have been wearing gloves - therefore finding only Rebecca's fingerprints in certain places and on certain items is NOT evidence she committed suicide, it's only evidence that she wasn't wearing gloves.

"No sexual assault" - The fact that Rebecca was NOT sexually assaulted is NOT evidence she committed suicide.

"Hands and ankles not tightly bound" - This is NOT evidence she committed suicide.

"She boarded her dog that morning." The fact that someone boards their dog (during a family crisis) is NOT evidence she committed suicide.

"No signs of a struggle" - there was a chair overturned in the room. As I look around any room in my house I don't have a single chair overturned. Do you? Do you know for a fact that J and R were in the habit of turning chairs upside down and leaving them that way? It would seem to be an interesting decorating style.

"Bound footsteps on balcony consistent with her feet" I can only guess that you mean 'footprints' but a partial footprint isn't evidence of anything other than the fact that she didn't walk onto the balcony unassisted.

"Conscious when she went over balcony" And how do you know whether she was conscious or not?

"Testimony of those that were with her that last day that reported her as quiet and sad" I'm not sure who claimed she was quiet and sad but that isn't evidence of anything. I don't recall anyone saying she was "moody" or "depressed". I've never heard that being quiet was an indicator that someone was suicidal.

"The book on Rope Binding Methods" I'm not convinced this book even exists. I believe it was Nina that claimed it existed but LE doesn't seem to note it anywhere.

I believe that much of this wouldn't even qualify as circumstantial evidence.

The fingerprints and DNA kinda prove only she was there. Remember, science doesn't lie.

Why would a killer leave someones hands not tight, and put a gag in their mouth they could spit out? Answer - they would not.

Rebecca knocked the chair over when she got out of it after binding her ankles and getting the rope ready for her hands and did her little hop hop hop to the balcony.

There were two sets of Rebecca's footrpints, both showing she was bound. No one could have held her out there to make those prints without making prints themselves.

The Medical Examiner said she was conscious when she went over the balcony. He would know.

For someone that is normally bright and sunny, being quiet and not answering questions is an indication something is wrong.

The Rope book exists, all right.

Law enforcement says you are wrong about that, and I bet Judge Bacall will, too. Most of this will be considered "direct" evidence and will be allowed into trial, IMO.

The ME said she was alive when she went over the balcony. He didn't say she was conscious. Dr. Cyrillic Wecht postulated that the wounds to her head could have rendered her unconscious.

There were two separate wounds on RZ'S neck, one from hanging by rope, one from strangulation.

RZ had defensive wounds on her hands and fingers. She had scratches on her back and other areas that could not have occurred with her hands tied behind her back.

Nope, the book was Rebecca's, as was the movie, The Housemaid. Jonah will have to tell all about his and Rebecca's sex life on the stand. Now, that will be a very interesting day in court!

BTW, The Housemaid was made in 2010. Dina did not live at Spreckles then. And the Rope Tying book will have a publication date that shows it was not Dina's.

But Jonah's testimony will be the best!

Again, it is an assumption this alleged book not listed as evidence was Rebecca's. Please provide a link showing Rebecca was the owner. TIA

Again, it is an assumption this alleged movie not listed as evidence was Rebecca's. The movie was a remake from 1960. Please provide a link showing Rebecca was the owner and which version of the movie was allegedly found. TIA

The Housemaid (1960 film)

Snip - This was the first film in Kim's Housemaid trilogy followed by Woman of Fire. The film was remade in 2010 by director Im Sang-soo.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Housemaid_(1960_film)

LuckyLucy2,

My opinions/answers are below in bold under the items you listed as evidence of suicide. In my opinion, when possible evidence is not even considered, taken and/or analyzed it speaks loudly of confirmation bias. It is inexcusable not all pertinent evidence was tested, especially with 15 detectives and four agencies involved.

1.Seven week long investigation by four law enforcement agencies, including 15 detectives
Several items LE never considered as evidence. LE did not take items in as evidence and items not analyzed. Assumptions made instead of using scientific proof or technology to support assumptions.

2. DNA on door
Rebecca lived there - Murderer's wore gloves. Gloves were found at the scene, listed as evidence. One black latex glove and one pair of gardening gloves. Note - no DNA profile found on gloves. One glove had mixed DNA. Gloves should have left a large amount of DNA.

3. DNA on small knife
Missing were Rebecca's fingerprints.

Common sense, Rebecca's wrists were bound. Her DNA would be on the rope. Murderer's wore gloves.

Common sense, Rebecca's ankles were bound. Her DNA would be on rope. Murderer's wore gloves.

6. DNA on the rope around her neck was only Rebecca’s
Common sense, a noose was around Rebecca's neck. Her DNA would be on rope. Murderer's wore gloves.

Staged

8. DNA inside tied knots
Common sense, Rebecca was bound her DNA would be on the rope. Murderer's wore gloves.

Murderer's wore gloves. Doesn't make sense she needed two knives. Missing from one knife is Rebecca's fingerprints.

Rebecca sketched as a hobby - Not the type of paint she used- Murderer's wore gloves.

Rebecca lived there - Murderer's wore gloves. Staged.

12. Immediately around the area bed were several of Rebecca’s prints, and only Rebecca’s prints.

Consistent is not scientific it is an assumption - LE did not do a footprint analysis.

Crime scene was contaminated before LE arrived - Adam Shacknai contaminated the crime scene.

Crime scene was contaminated before LE arrived - Adam Shacknai contaminated the crime scene.

17. No defensive wounds
Defensive wounds on her hands and fingers. Scratches on her back and other areas that could not have occurred with her hands tied behind her back.

Overturned chair, blood found in multiple areas assumed by LE to be menstrual blood.

19. No sexual assault
Unknown female panties found in the guest house where Adam was staying. LE did not test. Sexual assault does not have to be vaginal.

As reported by LE, mixed DNA was found. LE did not take DNA samples from Jonah or Dina.

21. No drugs in system
Rebecca didn't use drugs. She was a health fanatic. Makes sense.

There were two separate wounds on Rebecca's neck, one from hanging by rope, one from strangulation.

There were two separate wounds on Rebecca's neck, one from hanging by rope, one from strangulation.

Dr. Cyril Wecht postulated that the wounds to her head could have rendered her unconscious.

Rebecca's DNA was NOT found on the balcony. Missing from the railing is her DNA.

See attached copy of drivers license. LE did not have the writing analyzed. Did not preserve the original, painting over the door. Handwriting expert hired by atty Greer suggests it was Adam. Personally I don't see any resemblance to the R on the door.

Old entries about her relationship with JS, nothing about being suicidal or depressed. LE reaching to fit a theory.

28. Testimony of those that were with her that last day that reported her as quiet and sad
Not abnormal for someone dealing with a family crisis.

Hearsay - To date, no proof showing item was taken in as evidence.

32. The book on Rope Binding Methods. -

Rebecca's license and message on door -

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 42
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 37
The ME said she was alive when she went over the balcony. He didn't say she was conscious. Dr. Cyrillic Wecht postulated that the wounds to her head could have rendered her unconscious.

There were two separate wounds on RZ'S neck, one from hanging by rope, one from strangulation.

RZ had defensive wounds on her hands and fingers. She had scratches on her back and other areas that could not have occurred with her hands tied behind her back.

Johathah Lucas, the medical examiner that autopsied the body did not find any signs of strangulation, only signs of hanging.

He said the brusies on Rebecca's head were unlikely to even give her a headache, much less knock her unconcious.

Rebecca had no defensive wounds on her hands and fingers. All of her scratches came from the plants she hit while swining on the rope.

That is all according to the Medical Examiner, Dr. Lucas - the one that wasn't paid to appear on Dr. Phil.

Johathah Lucas, the medical examiner that autopsied the body did not find any signs of strangulation, only signs of hanging.

He said the brusies on Rebecca's head were unlikely to even give her a headache, much less knock her unconcious.

Rebecca had no defensive wounds on her hands and fingers. All of her scratches came from the plants she hit while swining on the rope.

That is all according to the Medical Examiner, Dr. Lucas - the one that wasn't paid to appear on Dr. Phil.

Just curious, but how do you think she got the scratches on her back. They were under her bound arms. Those scratches could not have come from the plants because that area was covered by her tied up arms. How did that happen?

And please, if you could provide a link regarding the "book", that would help clear up a lot of confusion.

My comments in blue.

LuckyLucy2,

My opinions/answers are below in bold under the items you listed as evidence of suicide. In my opinion, when possible evidence is not even considered, taken and/or analyzed it speaks loudly of confirmation bias. It is inexcusable not all pertinent evidence was tested, especially with 15 detectives and four agencies involved.

My answers in red

1.Seven week long investigation by four law enforcement agencies, including 15 detectives
Several items LE never considered as evidence. LE did not take items in as evidence and items not analyzed. Assumptions made instead of using scientific proof or technology to support assumptions.

Wrong. A though investigation was conducted that more than proved Rebecca murdered herself.

2. DNA on door
Rebecca lived there - Murderer's wore gloves. Gloves were found at the scene, listed as evidence. One black latex glove and one pair of gardening gloves. Note - no DNA profile found on gloves. One glove had mixed DNA. Gloves should have left a large amount of DNA.

DNA was on the door because it was Rebecca who painted it. No DNA was found on the gloves because no one used them. There is no way three people could have done all of the things the Zahaus alledge without leaving a hair or some evidence that they were there. The room had not been cleaned or vaccumed.

3. DNA on small knife
Missing were Rebecca's fingerprints.
You don't leave fingerprints every time you touch something. Fingerprints were on the large knife, so there may have been no more oil on her finger when she picked up the small knife

Common sense, Rebecca's wrists were bound. Her DNA would be on the rope. Murderer's wore gloves.
It was in the knots that she tied. Impossible, unless you are the one tying the rope. Where is the proof anyone wore gloves?

Common sense, Rebecca's ankles were bound. Her DNA would be on rope. Murderer's wore gloves.
It was in the knots that she tied. Impossible, unless you are the one tying the rope. Where is the proof anyone wore gloves?

6. DNA on the rope around her neck was only Rebecca’s
Common sense, a noose was around Rebecca's neck. Her DNA would be on rope. Murderer's wore gloves.

Staged
It was in the knots that she tied. Impossible, unless you are the one tying the rope. Where is the proof anyone wore gloves or was even in the room?

8. DNA inside tied knots
Common sense, Rebecca was bound her DNA would be on the rope. Murderer's wore gloves.
Impossible, unless you are the one tying the rope. Where is the proof anyone wore gloves? How did someone tie the ropes with gloves on?

Murderer's wore gloves. Doesn't make sense she needed two knives. Missing from one knife is Rebecca's fingerprints.
Where is the proof anyone wore gloves? She took a serrated knife and a flat knife. You don't leave fingerprints everything you touch something. She picked up the small knfe second.

Rebecca sketched as a hobby - Not the type of paint she used- Murderer's wore gloves.
Heresay. Where is the link that Rebecca did not paint? She cerrtainly painted the message on the door. Where is the proof anyone wore gloves?

Why would her fingerprints be on the bed leg where the rope was tied unless she tied it? Where is the proof anyone wore gloves? Where is any evidence someone staged the scene

Where is the proof anyone else was there and staged the scene? Where is the proof anyone wore gloves?

Consistent is not scientific it is an assumption - LE did not do a footprint analysis.
The footprints were Rebeccas. How do you know that LE did not do a footprint anaylis? Have you seen the files?

Why would he unbind her if he murdered her? Doesn't make any sense at all? No, only she tied herself up.

Why would Adam tie her so she could remove her hands. Makes no sense.

Why would Adam tie her bindings so that she could remove her hands and untie it? Her had was already stiff with the rope in in when she was found.

17. No defensive wounds
Defensive wounds on her hands and fingers. Scratches on her back and other areas that could not have occurred with her hands tied behind her back.
The ME concluded she had no defensive wounds. She got the scratches from the Peruvian catcus she swung into.

Overturned chair, blood found in multiple areas assumed by LE to be menstrual blood.
The blood was tested and found to be menstrual blood. Rebecca turned the chair over herself after sitting in it to tie her ankels and prepare the hand bindings..

19. No sexual assault
Unknown female panties found in the guest house where Adam was staying. LE did not test. Sexual assault does not have to be vaginal.
There was no sexual assault. She had a through autopsy.

As reported by LE, mixed DNA was found. LE did not take DNA samples from Jonah or Dina.
The DNA was degraded and too low to interrupet so would not have been fresh DNA. All else was Rebeccas.

21. No drugs in system
Rebecca didn't use drugs. She was a health fanatic. Makes sense.
Therefore, she was not unconcious.

The Medical Examiner found no signs of strangulation

The Medical Examiner found no signs of strangulation

Dr. Cyril Wecht postulated that the wounds to her head could have rendered her unconscious.
Dr. Lucas said they did not render her unconscious, and were unlikely to even give her a headache.

Rebecca's DNA was NOT found on the balcony. Missing from the railing is her DNA.
DNA also does not appear everywhere one touches. The area matched the size of Rebecca's waist.

See attached copy of drivers license. LE did not have the writing analyzed. Did not preserve the original, painting over the door. Handwriting expert hired by atty Greer suggests it was Adam. Personally I don't see any resemblance to the R on the door.
An expert that is hired is going to say what you want them to say - no matter how untrue. Rebecca had no problem writing at that height on the door. Looks just like the R to me

Old entries about her relationship with JS, nothing about being suicidal or depressed. LE reaching to fit a theory.
[COLOR="#00000FF"]Rebecca was inwardly unhappy because she loved Jonah more that she thought he loved her. Her diaries show that.[/COLOR]

It is not normal when you are normally sunny and happy. It is not normal to refuse to answer questions about what happened from the family.

Also would not be abnormal for someone planning a suicide.

Very abnomal since she did not even tell the detective working Max's case.

It is in Ann Rule's book and she had access to all of the LE files.

32. The book on Rope Binding Methods. -
You will hear more about this in court.

Mixed DNA everywhere.

No, you are incorrect. It was not "everywhere". There were only 2 samples that were too low render results:

Were there prints and DNA on the knives?
The small knife had Rebecca’s DNA, and only Rebecca’s DNA. No fingerprints were developed from this item. The large knife had Rebecca’s fingerprints, and only Rebecca’s fingerprints. A low level of DNA material was found on this knife as well, but it was not enough for any comparison.

Were there prints and DNA on the rope?
Rebecca’s DNA was found on the rope, particularly in areas that would have to be manipulated to tie the knots. Only Rebecca’s DNA was found on these items other than one “artifact,” which is a fragment of material that could be DNA, but does not contain enough information to determine who, or what, it came from (animals and plants also have DNA that can be left behind). The rope could not be fingerprinted.

sdsherrif.net /coronado/

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camillionaire