FL - 17 killed in Stoneman Douglas H.S. shooting, Parkland, 14 Feb 2018 #1 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here we have a shooter, young with known mental health issues, whose threatening you tube post was reported to the FBI, who was expelled for reasons I am sure will become known, who was known as threatening by classmates, who was old enough to purchase an assault rifle but not a handgun in Florida.

Not going political here because the issue is too complex, ideological and one that has so many facets from mental health confidentiality, to law enforcement on the ground, to our lawmakers fielding the interpretation of the constitution.

But something is terribly wrong when the very tools that could have prevented this tragedy are revoked. One can say it might not have prevented this tragedy and that is also true but this problem will not be addressed by one solution. And something's missing when when the channels among all the groups who need to work together are stifled.

There are so many with mental illness who would never hurt anyone. Are they targeted as a threat to society? Is every shooter mentally ill? How do we, how can we possibly track it?

I've heard a lot about small increments and agree that's a start. And maybe part of that starts with the ability to red flag what is known--should someone with known mental illness, be allowed to freely purchase assault weapons?

We are asked here to keep the focus on mental illness and I agree because no mass shooter is sane in my opinion and our resolution is, in the words of one very wise 14 year old I saw interviewed yesterday, a matter of 'coming together as a society'.

Not only are we not protecting our children but we are also not protecting those with mental illness.

I would like an answer as to why a bill tightening checks on those with mental illness was revoked?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...ng-obama-era-gun-checks-people-mental-n727221

Hi my dear ROse

It is with regret that i must inform you that no
sane person can give you an answer!

We thank you for your understanding!!

Here we have a shooter, young with known mental health issues, whose threatening you tube post was reported to the FBI, who was expelled for reasons I am sure will become known, who was known as threatening by classmates, who was old enough to purchase an assault rifle but not a handgun in Florida.

Not going political here because the issue is too complex, ideological and one that has so many facets from mental health confidentiality, to law enforcement on the ground, to our lawmakers fielding the interpretation of the constitution.

But something is terribly wrong when the very tools that could have prevented this tragedy are revoked. One can say it might not have prevented this tragedy and that is also true but this problem will not be addressed by one solution. And something's missing when when the channels among all the groups who need to work together are stifled.

There are so many with mental illness who would never hurt anyone. Are they targeted as a threat to society? Is every shooter mentally ill? How do we, how can we possibly track it?

I've heard a lot about small increments and agree that's a start. And maybe part of that starts with the ability to red flag what is known--should someone with known mental illness, be allowed to freely purchase assault weapons?

We are asked here to keep the focus on mental illness and I agree because no mass shooter is sane in my opinion and our resolution is, in the words of one very wise 14 year old I saw interviewed yesterday, a matter of 'coming together as a society'.

Not only are we not protecting our children but we are also not protecting those with mental illness.

I would like an answer as to why a bill tightening checks on those with mental illness was revoked?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...ng-obama-era-gun-checks-people-mental-n727221

“There are so many with mental illness who would never hurt anyone. Are they targeted as a threat to society? Is every shooter mentally ill? How do we, how can we possibly track it?”

We can’t!!!! But we don’t have to provide automatic and semi-automatic weapons to civilians. Anyone who thinks we can track people with mental illness might as well start counting the stars in the universe. The USA’s weapon access is the problem here. It’s so obvious. To not see it is to have one’s head firmly embedded somewhere without light. This is so infuriating. “Justice.” Wth is that? Seventeen kids are DEAD. THIS TIME.

I heard an interview on CNN with that person. He said the FBI came by twice,the last time very recently. They were trying to identify the poster, but couldn't.

I wonder how this person was able to finally identify him?

Two LE are now being interviewed on this on CNN. One says there are so many cases of people making these threats on social media. It was done on YouTube. Can the SM web sites do more?

The Heavy article I read said he posted under his own name. Lol.

Wow just wow. And now we enter in the stage of using pejorative terms.
Attitudes like this are part of the problem, not part of the solution.

toxic masculinity calling boys wimpy for being sensitive.

slur used against those that have lactose intolerance.

Please tell me a lot of you know all these kinda things cause you have kids!!!

Let me also ask you guys this stuff.

Be honest

Do your kids refuse you right to get on their phones?

What reaction would get from a teen if you tried that ?

How many of you are paying for them

can you set those things up where you can just see everything they are doing

hey the old addage im paying for it those are your choices ( then I thought oh that is silly they would know how to turn it off !!!)

GOD D It

Bill Nelson is talking to chairs now

like i said it drives me insane

talking to charis does not result in change of any kind

I am not being dramatic there is noone in the room

I would love to know who came up with the
idea

hey i got a plan lets get a camera and whenever we all want to try to get reelected

we can just run by room talk to the camera and we can golf

its disgusting its dishonest

now i have to confess the first time I saw it I cracked up

I tried to find it last night

I found it (love Bernie )

go to 210

Nelson just did one !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-yR0pKtP7w

oi vey

just now when I saw it again i thought that would have been a good exercise for one of my folks to help build self esttem!!

Relax not getting political but I think it was amusing ( it isn't but the first time I saw it ) was like cause little ole Bernie is like grandfather eee It was like well he still wants to think he is in congress -- just cracked me up -- until I realized they all do it all the time -- real people in COngress

oh good lord

Trump says he will visit Parkland, Florida, site of high school mass shooting
by Ali Vitali

WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump said Thursday that he would visit Parkland, Fla., following America's latest deadly mass shooting, which left 17 dead at a high school there Wednesday.

"Our entire nation, with one heavy heart, is praying for the victims and their families," he said Thursday from the White House Diplomatic Room.

"No child, no teacher should ever be in danger in an American school," Trump said. "No parent should ever have to fear for their sons and daughters when they kiss them good-bye in the morning."

Trump also said he planned to visit Parkland to help coordinate the federal response, and would work to help the nation tackle "the difficult issue of mental health." ...

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/wh...eacher-should-ever-be-danger-american-n848281

Not everyone getting SSD for mental illness should be prohibited from owning. Not all mental illness means the person is violent, homicidal or suicidal. jmo

Talking to the kids who are at this moment in school. A worthless presser by potus imo. Useless.

The kids from the Stoneman-Douglas high school are not in school. Their school is a crime scene.

Way, way back in the '70's there were televisions in the classrooms for significant events. Perhaps they still have TVs.

Trump cites mental health in Fla. school shooting
Associated Press

Washington – President Donald Trump struck a solemn tone Thursday after the deadly school shooting in Florida, describing a “scene of terrible violence, hatred and evil” and promising to “tackle the difficult issue of mental health,” but avoiding any mention of guns.

Taking up the now-familiar ritual of public consolation after terrible violence, Trump spoke from the White House Diplomatic Room. In a slow, deliberate style, he sought to reassure a troubled nation as well as students’ families and shooting survivors in Florida...

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/nation/2018/02/15/school-shooting-donald-trump/110443962/

Excellent point. Also, if in a classroom with windows, throw a desk through them and get out of there.

I agree and that is why some realistic training may help if ever in a situation like that.

Human nature in a classroom with others may have the kids not even thinking about breaking a window because they typically would not do anything destructive to the classroom. But that would be a perfect way out if on the first floor and a large window is right there.

Have to be careful of glass and all but rather than waiting for him to bust down the door and kill everyone then breaking out a window and throwing a coat or clothing over the bottom edge of the broken glass and getting everyone to run outside in a zig zag fashion would be a good option that I am betting some would not think of unless they plan in advance of options like this.

Also having grabbing a weapon of your own that you could throw at the person if he breached through the door. Imagine if all the students in a room managed to have a large heavy object in their hands and the minute he barges through they all through something at him. It may be enough to bring him down and everyone get out safely.

I hope those courses teach these sorts of things.

FBI was warned about alleged shooter nearly 5 months ago, tipster says
Video blogger had alerted FBI

(CNN) - The FBI was warned in September about a possible school shooting threat from a YouTube user with the same name as the suspect in Wednesday's campus massacre in Parkland, Florida, according to a video blogger.

Ben Bennight, the 36-year-old YouTube video blogger from Mississippi, noticed in September an alarming comment on a video he'd posted. He told CNN he immediately contacted the FBI.

"Im going to be a professional school shooter," read the comment, left by a user with the name Nikolas Cruz, the same name of the suspected shooter who opened fire at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School on Wednesday, killing at least 17 people.

It was one of at least two alleged threat reports about the suspected shooter that the FBI received, according to a law enforcement official. In both cases, the FBI did not share the information with local law enforcement, the official said...

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news...eged-shooter-nearly-5-months-ago-tipster-says

Be honest

hey the old addage im paying for it those are your choices ( then I thought oh that is silly they would know how to turn it off !!!)

GOD D It

idea

hey i got a plan lets get a camera and whenever we all want to try to get reelected

go to 210

Nelson just did one !!

oi vey

just now when I saw it again i thought that would have been a good exercise for one of my folks to help build self esttem!!

Relax not getting political but I think it was amusing ( it isn't but the first time I saw it ) was like cause little ole Bernie is like grandfather eee It was like well he still wants to think he is in congress -- just cracked me up -- until I realized they all do it all the time -- real people in COngress

oh good lord

I monitored my child's sm/photo activity. If she/he ever posted about shooting up a school I'd be the first to call for help, therapist, FBI etc...

I'm positive kids have access to the President's words after school hours.

What does he have to offer other than platitudes. Ironic he is blaming mental health when funding for it is on his chopping block.IMO

(CNN) - The FBI was warned in September about a possible school shooting threat from a YouTube user with the same name as the suspect in Wednesday's campus massacre in Parkland, Florida, according to a video blogger.

Ben Bennight, the 36-year-old YouTube video blogger from Mississippi, noticed in September an alarming comment on a video he'd posted. He told CNN he immediately contacted the FBI.

"Im going to be a professional school shooter," read the comment, left by a user with the name Nikolas Cruz, the same name of the suspected shooter who opened fire at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School on Wednesday, killing at least 17 people.

It was one of at least two alleged threat reports about the suspected shooter that the FBI received, according to a law enforcement official. In both cases, the FBI did not share the information with local law enforcement, the official said...

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news...eged-shooter-nearly-5-months-ago-tipster-says

JMO

"See Something, Say Something,.......and then please LE do your job!!!"

Like identifying him through his IP address and then at a minimum pay him a visit to talk to both him and his parent(s). Put the fear into him that he is being watched and monitored from that point forward.

A DA could have possibly even charged him with a crime based on his threatening posts. Just do something once the public does their job.
Please :)

Be honest

GOD D It

idea

go to 210

Nelson just did one !!

oi vey

oh good lord

I'm a geriatric parent of a young teenager. Does he allow me access to his phone? No, he wouldn't do so willingly, but he knows for a fact that I will take his phone away from him- and/or his computer- if I have reason to believe that he is accessing or exposing himself to inappropriate people or content.

How would I know if he is doing that? Because I routinely TALK with him about what sites he goes to & watches and what multiplayer online games he's into. Because I LISTEN to what he says, and if I hear ideas or expressions that I'm confident he isn't hearing at home or from his friends, I ASK him about what I'm hearing.

He knows I would never invade his privacy, and he knows I trust him, but he also is equally aware that I love him enough to not allow him to make preventable, dangerous mistakes that he doesn't have enough awareness yet to know he's risking.

Trump says he will visit Parkland, Florida, site of high school mass shooting
by Ali Vitali

WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump said Thursday that he would visit Parkland, Fla., following America's latest deadly mass shooting, which left 17 dead at a high school there Wednesday.

"Our entire nation, with one heavy heart, is praying for the victims and their families," he said Thursday from the White House Diplomatic Room.

"No child, no teacher should ever be in danger in an American school," Trump said. "No parent should ever have to fear for their sons and daughters when they kiss them good-bye in the morning."

Trump also said he planned to visit Parkland to help coordinate the federal response, and would work to help the nation tackle "the difficult issue of mental health." ...

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/wh...eacher-should-ever-be-danger-american-n848281

That's what he said but really what he means is " Heck, Parkland's right down the road from Ma-A-Lago. Come on Mel,
let's kill two birds with one stone."

"Im going to be a professional school shooter" That is sort of a generic type of comment, ie not a threat. I am doubtful the FBI could get a SW for the ISP that posted the comment which would explain why they could not id him. jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cliff77