GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 Jul 2021 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is mostly my opinion. I think describing EC as going into panic mode is a bit exaggerated.
Although there has never been an exact time stated as to when EC left Henry's Tavern, EC stated about an hour after KJ & B came by Henry's to say, Hi, I'm walking the dog, then headed home.
IMO it took less than 5 minutes for EC to ride home from HT (most of the ride downhill & then flat).
EC expected KJ & B to be home.
EC most likely was concerned to find them not home, I speculate.
EC became worried when KJ didn't answer calls or texts. She stated in her interview w/Channel46 news, she called a bunch of times & texted w/no answer. She thought maybe KJ had lost or dropped her phone w/o realizing it. EC stated that KJ always answered. Then EC stated she tried the 'find my phone' app & saw the phone was in PP & not moving. So she 'got back on her bike & headed for the park', as stated by Karyn Greer w/11alive news. The bike ride to PP probably took about 5-9 minutes depending on where EC entered (at 10th & CA or 12th & Piedmont Ave). I speculate EC entered at 10th & CA because she stated in several interviews she saw Bowie right away (that ride would have been flat, then mostly downhill).
So based on speculation, I would say EC got home about 12:40am, left apt around 12:52am, arrived at PP around 12:59am & called 911 at 1:10am.
JMOO

So, using your timeline, it was less than 15 minutes between the time EC got home and the time she left the apartment. You don't think it's a little weird to use Find my iPhone that quickly? To find a grown woman? You wouldn't try contacting anyone else first? Waiting a little longer? Maybe looking to see if KJ left a note saying she'd gone somewhere? If I was trying to locate my teenager who was out past curfew or super-late getting home from work, I might go right to FMI, but it seems like an overreaction to use when you want to locate a grown woman who works in and has friends in the neighborhood. JMO.

This is mostly my opinion. I think describing EC as going into panic mode is a bit exaggerated.
Although there has never been an exact time stated as to when EC left Henry's Tavern, EC stated about an hour after KJ & B came by Henry's to say, Hi, I'm walking the dog, then headed home.
IMO it took less than 5 minutes for EC to ride home from HT (most of the ride downhill & then flat).
EC expected KJ & B to be home.
EC most likely was concerned to find them not home, I speculate.
EC became worried when KJ didn't answer calls or texts. She stated in her interview w/Channel46 news, she called a bunch of times & texted w/no answer. She thought maybe KJ had lost or dropped her phone w/o realizing it. EC stated that KJ always answered. Then EC stated she tried the 'find my phone' app & saw the phone was in PP & not moving. So she 'got back on her bike & headed for the park', as stated by Karyn Greer w/11alive news. The bike ride to PP probably took about 5-9 minutes depending on where EC entered (at 10th & CA or 12th & Piedmont Ave). I speculate EC entered at 10th & CA because she stated in several interviews she saw Bowie right away (that ride would have been flat, then mostly downhill).
So based on speculation, I would say EC got home about 12:40am, left apt around 12:52am, arrived at PP around 12:59am & called 911 at 1:10am.
JMOO

I agree. And just to add - some people use Find My Phone (or something similar like Life 360) on a regular, non-emergency basis (check ETA when you don’t want to distract a driver, for example), so I wouldn’t necessarily consider its use an indication of panic. Some people regard it as a kind of SOS beacon but can be much more than that.

So, using your timeline, it was less than 15 minutes between the time EC got home and the time she left the apartment. You don't think it's a little weird to use Find my iPhone that quickly? To find a grown woman? You wouldn't try contacting anyone else first? Waiting a little longer? Maybe looking to see if KJ left a note saying she'd gone somewhere? If I was trying to locate my teenager who was out past curfew or super-late getting home from work, I might go right to FMI, but it seems like an overreaction to use when you want to locate a grown woman who works in and has friends in the neighborhood. JMO.
I wouldn't find it that odd. If you are expecting someone to be home and they are not and that is odd, and then you call them and they don't answer and that is out of character for them, you might be concerned. Maybe she went to find my phone just to see how far out KJ was, then seeing them still in the park would maybe raise some red flags.

I wouldn't find it that odd. If you are expecting someone to be home and they are not and that is odd, and then you call them and they don't answer and that is out of character for them, you might be concerned. Maybe she went to find my phone just to see how far out KJ was, then seeing them still in the park would maybe raise some red flags.
Especially at that time of night and in that park where all kinds of unsavory things go on.

I don't find it weird because even if KJ had left HT around 11:35 pm & taken the "long" way home, that is going down 10th & back up, she & Bowie should have been home by 12:20 am. That would of been a very long walk, IMO, a little over an hour. According to Accuweather, the temp was 84° & very muggy/humid.
What I do find weird is that 12:09 timestamp of the rainbow crosswalk photo of KJ & B. They are walking down Piedmont crossing 10th St. Going in the opposite direction of where they lived. IMO, at 12:09, they are 9 minutes from the apt & 9 minutes from HT. But, they left HT 34 minutes before. That's where everything stops being logical to me. Did KJ go home & then back out for some unknown reason? What would be the reason....that late?

Again, JMOO.

I agree. And just to add - some people use Find My Phone (or something similar like Life 360) on a regular, non-emergency basis (check ETA when you don’t want to distract a driver, for example), so I wouldn’t necessarily consider its use an indication of panic. Some people regard it as a kind of SOS beacon but can be much more than that.
100% agree. We have Life 360 as a family (3 teenagers yikes!) and I use it constantly. I'll even check it to see where they are so I can gauge when to put dinner in the oven. If one of them doesn't answer their phone (because they can see that it's me calling ha ha) I can jump on and see their location. If my husband were out walking after midnight and he didn't answer his phone, I'd be on Life 360 within seconds. I know I sound like a helicopter parent but it's a tool we use all the time; I don't find it odd that EC did the equivalent with Find my iPhone.

100% agree. We have Life 360 as a family (3 teenagers yikes!) and I use it constantly. I'll even check it to see where they are so I can gauge when to put dinner in the oven. If one of them doesn't answer their phone (because they can see that it's me calling ha ha) I can jump on and see their location. If my husband were out walking after midnight and he didn't answer his phone, I'd be on Life 360 within seconds. I know I sound like a helicopter parent but it's a tool we use all the time; I don't find it odd that EC did the equivalent with Find my iPhone.

Yes. I use it to check that someone’s arrived, check to see who’s best positioned to get me a coffee, etc. If someone doesn’t answer (and I know they’re not in a mttg or dr appt), I’d check location - not even out of concern but out of habit. It’s a bit hard to describe unless you use it! I’m fully aware that your usage and my usage make us sound like helicopters/stalkers/overly anxious but it’s not :)

Here's my two cents on the whole thing in regards to EC & this case.
I hope I'm not breaking TOS.
If LE thought any of the C's, especially EC, did this, they would have been arrested by now. I would be watching the trial on UT. That night/morning EC was in the CS, touched the victims, probably had blood from the victims on her. Her bike was laying right next to Bowie. She was there very close to the TOD. The only thing missing was the murder weapon.
LE would have taken her into custody (speculating) that night & she would have to get an attorney to prove to a jury she didn't do it while the Fulton County Prosecutor could convince that she did. But IMO that is not the case here.
EC's timeline & events of that night that have been checked & verified by LE have caused no arrest.
The case remains open & active & everyone is a suspect.

JMOHO.

Here's my two cents on the whole thing in regards to EC & this case.
I hope I'm not breaking TOS.
If LE thought any of the C's, especially EC, did this, they would have been arrested by now. I would be watching the trial on UT. That night/morning EC was in the CS, touched the victims, probably had blood from the victims on her. Her bike was laying right next to Bowie. She was there very close to the TOD. The only thing missing was the murder weapon.
LE would have taken her into custody (speculating) that night & she would have to get an attorney to prove to a jury she didn't do it while the Fulton County Prosecutor could convince that she did. But IMO that is not the case here.
EC's timeline & events of that night that have been checked & verified by LE have caused no arrest.
The case remains open & active & everyone is a suspect.

JMOHO.
Especially at that time of night and in that park where all kinds of unsavory things go on.

She would have had to know KJ was in the park then, though, for that to be her reasoning. But that brings up another thought: did she know KJ was planning to go to the park? Is that why EC was so worried right away?

Yes. I use it to check that someone’s arrived, check to see who’s best positioned to get me a coffee, etc. If someone doesn’t answer (and I know they’re not in a mttg or dr appt), I’d check location - not even out of concern but out of habit. It’s a bit hard to describe unless you use it! I’m fully aware that your usage and my usage make us sound like helicopters/stalkers/overly anxious but it’s not :)

LOL, I guess if this is something that you typically do, her behavior doesn't seem odd. And it seems you're far from the only one! But this is good for someone like me to know, because now I guess I can't say that it's totally odd for EC to react how she did.

LOL, I guess if this is something that you typically do, her behavior doesn't seem odd. And it seems you're far from the only one! But this is good for someone like me to know, because now I guess I can't say that it's totally odd for EC to react how she did.

It is more time & convenience than “invasive,” if that makes sense: it’s faster & simpler to look up a location as opposed to texting or calling to ask where she is. The late 30s/early 40s are on the edge, though - probably because we remember life before social networking/tracking and value privacy more than the generations who grew up with cell phones.

EC could go either way - she may well have panicked. My point was that we can’t assume she panicked just because she used a location app. I’m sure LE could discover how often she checked KJ’s whereabouts, if anyone else had permission to “find” KJ’s phone, etc.

JMO.

I don't find it weird because even if KJ had left HT around 11:35 pm & taken the "long" way home, that is going down 10th & back up, she & Bowie should have been home by 12:20 am. That would of been a very long walk, IMO, a little over an hour. According to Accuweather, the temp was 84° & very muggy/humid.
What I do find weird is that 12:09 timestamp of the rainbow crosswalk photo of KJ & B. They are walking down Piedmont crossing 10th St. Going in the opposite direction of where they lived. IMO, at 12:09, they are 9 minutes from the apt & 9 minutes from HT. But, they left HT 34 minutes before. That's where everything stops being logical to me. Did KJ go home & then back out for some unknown reason? What would be the reason....that late?

Again, JMOO.
Agree. Either EC is off on the time KJ left Henry's or Katie and Bowie clearly went somewhere else after Henry's and before heading to PP.

IMO, EC was concerned that KJ wasn’t home when she got home from work but not in panic mode. And maybe because EC and KJ kept late after work hours after closing their respective restaurants, they used the app to keep a eye on each other when walking home late at night. So I don’t find that odd at all. EC saw the phone was in PIedmont Park and not moving and initially thought KJ had dropped the phone. But the stationary phone did heighten her concern. So she rode around some of the streets that she knew KJ walked Bowie and then headed to the park when she didn’t find them. IMO, I think she went to the park expecting to find the “dropped phone” and the rest is history.

And if EC had gone straight to the park without riding around a few streets looking for KJ and Bowie, then she may have walked up on the crime scene in progress. It creeps me out to think about it…. But wonder if the perp was still in the vicinity watching when EC arrived?

That is an excellent idea about fetching coffee! I'm signing my whole family up for Life360 tomorrow. :p

Running with this timeline, what do you suppose could have filled in the 11 min between arrival at PP and the 911 call?

Perhaps Emma being stunned and in shock, just hugged Katie and Bowie somehow realizing that once police arrived, she’d never have the chance again-IMO.

I have to say, also IMO, and in answer to an older post, that what I know of Katie and her care for others, herself and Emma, indicates that she was not a cheater, a substance user nor was a person to take foolish chances. Perhaps she remembered that she wanted to make a quick trip to deposit a check in an ATM which took her on a different route-I don’t know the city.

Perhaps Emma being stunned and in shock, just hugged Katie and Bowie somehow realizing that once police arrived, she’d never have the chance again-IMO.

I have to say, also IMO, and in answer to an older post, that what I know of Katie and her care for others, herself and Emma, indicates that she was not a cheater, a substance user nor was a person to take foolish chances. Perhaps she remembered that she wanted to make a quick trip to deposit a check in an ATM which took her on a different route-I don’t know the city.

And, thank you for explaining about the search feature on phones and reasons why people might use them-I had no idea since I grew up (quite happily) without them. Every day I learn something new.

Running with this timeline, what do you suppose could have filled in the 11 min between arrival at PP and the 911 call?
11 minutes. 2 minutes to get to & check Bowie, 2 minutes to see & find KJ, 3 minutes to get to & check KJ, 1 minute to run back out of PP, 3 minutes to make phone calls. IMO EC called AC before 911, pure speculation on my part. I think this because she was probably all things a person would be after discovering why they were not home. I can't imagine how that would affect me. Except I would have kept running until I fell over...

I don't think there is anything odd about the hours. These people worked in the restaurant and bar industry. They worked late and then after work was likely the wind down, relax, walk the dog times. They likely slept in later than the average person. I know I did, I spent years in that industry.

And let's assume KJ was a kind, caring individual. She would not be the first victim whose kindness was mistaken by their killer as a romantic interest. That's always a sad story and all too common. That's the way I'm leaning though I have no evidence to support it.

It is more time & convenience than “invasive,” if that makes sense: it’s faster & simpler to look up a location as opposed to texting or calling to ask where she is. The late 30s/early 40s are on the edge, though - probably because we remember life before social networking/tracking and value privacy more than the generations who grew up with cell phones.

EC could go either way - she may well have panicked. My point was that we can’t assume she panicked just because she used a location app. I’m sure LE could discover how often she checked KJ’s whereabouts, if anyone else had permission to “find” KJ’s phone, etc.

JMO.
Right - not to go on a tangent but is everyone here aware of SnapMap? All these kids/20s who live on Snapchat can literally pull up a SnapMap and see where all their friends are who have opted to participate (almost all do). For example, we were at Logan Airport in Boston and my kid pulled up SnapMap and we could see zillions of people he knew who were also at the airport. Zoom out, and you can see where they are in the entire world. It's just a totally different mentality among these young 'uns - whereas I view posting one's location for all to see as virtually insane. Sorry for that rant but I guarantee we will hear about SnapMap in a case at some point!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member