GA - Theresa Parker, 41, Lafayette, 21 March 2007 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry .. looks like we posted that link at almost the same time.

Well, hmmmmmmm......
what the heck?!

The timing of this has me confused. Not with pay, but without pay. That's serious.

Don't know that City's employment policies - but ours is similar regarding the 5 day written response deadline. It's basically a time to try to convince the top dog "why I shouldn't be fired." In our agency, being put on suspension without pay and the 5 day deadline means you've got one foot out the employment door. And....you don't get there in just a week or two!

Sooooo, does this mean that he had been under investigation for discrimination before Theresa's disappearance? Boy, rotten luck on his part. Was this a stressor on him, in addition to his divorce procedings? Marriage on the rocks, problems in his career, etc.? Just speculating. I just don't know what to make of this news. Does Chappin play in this at all? Wish we had a few more tidbits of facts known.

But, hope they find Theresa!

Hi Dawgie Dear ;}

What a neat deal to have you here with your background and knowledge that is such an asset in our discussions.

Discrimination. I'm trying to think of an example of how an officer could descriminate. Against race immediately comes to mind. I'm just wondering what he did put him under investigation.

Happy Easter Everyone I hope they find her before Easter Sunday for her family's sake.

Scandi

Hi Dawgie Dear ;}

What a neat deal to have you here with your background and knowledge that is such an asset in our discussions.

Discrimination. I'm trying to think of an example of how an officer could descriminate. Against race immediately comes to mind. I'm just wondering what he did put him under investigation.

Happy Easter Everyone I hope they find her before Easter Sunday for her family's sake.

Scandi

Hi Miss Scandi! :blowkiss:

Discrimination - there are several protected classes: race, sex, marital status, medical condition, ethnic background, religion, etc. Keep in mind, he is a Sergeant, a supervisor. Was he discriminating against one of his subordinates? (Hmmm, Chappin is a subordinate....:waitasec: ). Or, he could have discriminated against a public citizen in part of his LE duties (and yet, oftentimes those are covered under the civil rights violations, a crime)....or an agency co-worker....there's many possibilities.

Discrimination complaints and their investigations should take at least a month, realistically, and IMO. Certainly, depends on the specific allegation and the players involved. And again, for my agency and those I'm very familiar with...a suspension without pay comes AFTER a suspension WITH pay in 98% of the cases. This is a good part of why I'm very suprised about this suspension without pay. It goes against the norm of which I'm familiar. Not that other agencies might not do that, but I can't emphasize enough how abnormal that is! IMO.

I'm actually trying to think back in the last 5 years, I cannot think of a time where we've suspended an employee without pay immediately, even when they've committed a criminal act. In those cases, they're immediately placed on suspension with pay...until we get a court ruling or a GJ indictment. (Much of this is what I wrote in that long post I did days ago and then deleted. Maybe I shouldn't have, as now it has more relevance. Who would've guessed SP would be suspended w/o pay for a discrimination charge?!?!?!) Or, our Legal Dept has gone over it with a fine-toothed comb and given us their blessing. For example, we had a Building Mtce Supervisor who was investigated for discrimination and sexual harassment against his 2 female subordinates. Suspended with pay in September, formal investigation completed, put on suspension without pay in late November and terminated 10 days later (he was one one that elected not to answer the "5 day written response" because he was guilty as hell!). Have had a few officers on paid suspension for almost a year before their suspensions became unpaid. If you go back and read what I wrote in that initial post about that, I said it's hard for some of us to know they're guilty and sitting at home with full pay!

And this all happens when his wife is missing, he's a POI, and a subordinate has been arrested for a false statement? (Interesting...the superiors claim that SP's discrimination charge has nothing to do with Theresa's disappearance...and Chappin's false statement was deemed critical in her disappearance. So maybe they're not related, but it just seems a little coincidental to me.) No, I don't know what to think, haha:waitasec:

Any locals with behind the scenes scoop????? :cool:

Definitely not a local with the scoop, just a non local with an opinion - I think you're right, these circumstances must be connected. Willing to play connect the dots?

And this all happens when his wife is missing, he's a POI, and a subordinate has been arrested for a false statement? (Interesting...the superiors claim that SP's discrimination charge has nothing to do with Theresa's disappearance...and Chappin's false statement was deemed critical in her disappearance. So maybe they're not related, but it just seems a little coincidental to me.) No, I don't know what to think, haha:waitasec:

Any locals with behind the scenes scoop????? :cool:

Definitely not a local with the scoop, just a non local with an opinion - I think you're right, these circumstances must be connected. Willing to play connect the dots?

Utopia,

I'm more than willing, I just don't know how many dots there are, and where they lead? :confused: We've just been giving a big dot today, and it wasn't one I would have thought of before!

You have any ideas?!

There's nothing to say that he hasn't previously been suspended "with pay" is there?

Nope, but wasn't he working the last night Theresa was seen? If I got it straight, he and Ben said they weren't working, but they were?

I don't know, Chico....

ETA: I would also "assume" (I know what that can get ya, LOL) had he been on paid suspension at the time concurrent with, or even shortly before, Theresa's disappearance, that would have been leaked. I would expect something would have been said about SP being "on leave" or "currently under investigation" for a departmental matter. But, who knows, maybe they're tighter-lipped than other agencies. (Darn it, they are in regards to Chappin's lie!)

Nope, but wasn't he working the last night Theresa was seen? If I got it straight, he and Ben said they weren't working, but they were?

I don't know, Chico....

Deputy Dawg -

I've seen conflicting posts regarding whether or not SP was working Wed. night, so I re-read a number of online articles from the local newspaper, and this is all I could find. Perhaps someone else has other info. Here is what I read (with the links):

This was reported from SP's sister's news conference - "....The last contact my brother had with his wife was on Wednesday, March 21st, at approximately 7:30 p.m. at their home..."

http://news.mywebpal.com/news_tool_...&pnpID=730&NewsID=794959&CategoryID=3511&on=1
=======================

"Sam Parker was not on police duty that Wednesday night."

http://news.mywebpal.com/news_tool_...&pnpID=730&NewsID=794956&CategoryID=3511&on=1

I don't know, Chico....

ETA: I would also "assume" (I know what that can get ya, LOL) had he been on paid suspension at the time concurrent with, or even shortly before, Theresa's disappearance, that would have been leaked. I would expect something would have been said about SP being "on leave" or "currently under investigation" for a departmental matter. But, who knows, maybe they're tighter-lipped than other agencies. (Darn it, they are in regards to Chappin's lie!)

There would be no reason for the Chief or anyone to comment on his personnel record unless it pertains to this investigation or the DV reports that came to light. I did read that he was on some type of "probation" with the job stemming from the crazy man shooting incident but that was 2004 thru 2006. So it sounds like he was off whatever administrative "probation" he incurred from that incident. IOW there could have been other incidents not related to Theresa's disappearance or the DV reports that would not be able to be talked about because its a personnel matter. They can't just open his file and share it is what I'm getting at.

There would be no reason for the Chief or anyone to comment on his personnel record unless it pertains to this investigation or the DV reports that came to light. I did read that he was on some type of "probation" with the job stemming from the crazy man shooting incident but that was 2004 thru 2006. So it sounds like he was off whatever administrative "probation" he incurred from that incident. IOW there could have been other incidents not related to Theresa's disappearance or the DV reports that would not be able to be talked about because its a personnel matter. They can't just open his file and share it is what I'm getting at.

I agree the chain of command wouldn't have mentioned it; I would have thought others would have leaked it. Don't know.

Doesn't it seem awfully odd to you that he'd be put on suspension without pay pending investigation?

I agree the chain of command wouldn't have mentioned it; I would have thought others would have leaked it. Don't know.

Doesn't it seem awfully odd to you that he'd be put on suspension without pay pending investigation?
So far the only thing I see odd about it is that it doesn't seem to pertain to the investigation. It sounds as if he's violated some policies and its not his first time for it to be so serious to bring down the suspension without pay. You know like he continues to violate these policies and this is the last step in the procedure?? What policy could he have violated to get this type of reprimmand?

“On Thursday, April 5, 2007, Sgt. Sam Parker was suspended without pay pending a review of discrimination recommended by the City Manager,” Freeman said in the statement. “The suspension was due to a violation of department policy and city personnel policy. Sgt. Parker has the right to appeal and in light of that, I cannot comment any further on this situation.”

http://news.mywebpal.com/news_tool_v...yID=18845&on=1

So far the only thing I see odd about it is that it doesn't seem to pertain to the investigation. It sounds as if he's violated some policies and its not his first time for it to be so serious to bring down the suspension without pay. You know like he continues to violate these policies and this is the last step in the procedure?? What policy could he have violated to get this type of reprimmand?

“On Thursday, April 5, 2007, Sgt. Sam Parker was suspended without pay pending a review of discrimination recommended by the City Manager,” Freeman said in the statement. “The suspension was due to a violation of department policy and city personnel policy. Sgt. Parker has the right to appeal and in light of that, I cannot comment any further on this situation.”

http://news.mywebpal.com/news_tool_v...yID=18845&on=1

The department and the City should both have a policy against discrimination and most agencies state they have a zero tolerance against it. Depending on the actual complaint, it could be very serious.

Another thought...after a discrimination complaint, all parties are advised about the prohibition of retaliation. Retaliating against someone who had been a victim or witness during a discrimination complaint would indeed be very serious. And an act of retaliation could be separated on a time line from the initial complaint, investigation and any disciplinary action.

Well, another day down and there doesn't appear to be any new significant leads. Hugs to Theresa's family and friends....

Hi DD,

At the news conference last week the question was asked about whether or not Parker and Chaffin were working and the Sheriff (or one of the other officials) clearly stated they were not working. I have seen only one report that stated they were but I believe that was incorrect. If you would like to see the news conference, a full viewing of it in 4 parts is available on this thread. I'm not sure but I think it is post #244 (too lazy to go check, but it was made available the same day as the news conference).

Regarding this other "discrimination issue", the phrase that is used is "review of discrimination" - could that mean anything else other than that he discriminated somehow against another employee? Not sure quite what I mean here but it just sounds like it could mean something different. Just a thought.

Utopia

Hi DD,

At the news conference last week the question was asked about whether or not Parker and Chaffin were working and the Sheriff (or one of the other officials) clearly stated they were not working. I have seen only one report that stated they were but I believe that was incorrect. If you would like to see the news conference, a full viewing of it in 4 parts is available on this thread. I'm not sure but I think it is post #244 (too lazy to go check, but it was made available the same day as the news conference).

Regarding this other "discrimination issue", the phrase that is used is "review of discrimination" - could that mean anything else other than that he discriminated somehow against another employee? Not sure quite what I mean here but it just sounds like it could mean something different. Just a thought.

Utopia

Yes, Utopia, discrimination could be against a citizen, or an allied agency employee, or a vendor rep, etc. But, it's serious to be on unpaid suspension.

Actually, that specific wording, "review of discrimination" got my attention the first time I read it. To me, it's just an odd way of stating it. So, it could be something we haven't even thought of.

Vernon Keenan director of GBI was in Walker county Friday following up with LE.

[FONT=Verdana,Arial]GBI giving missing dispatcher case priority status [/FONT]
http://news.mywebpal.com/news_tool_...&pnpID=730&NewsID=796846&CategoryID=3511&on=1

Glad this is their top priority. You'd never know it by the AJC or watching the Atlanta news. Hate to harp on that, but we are less than 2 hours away and they certainly zip on up to this area when there are snow flurries that make good footage!!! (with a nod to Perhaps for that bit of sarcasm).

It is infuriating to see how few leads there are. How can this woman just vanish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela