Hannah Graham: The Search - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all. I am a newbie too. In fact, I registered for the sole purpose of relaying informatio I received Saturday.
I live in Rockbridge County, which is west of cville. It is a very rural area, surrounded by forest and large farms. While driving on Rt 39 on Saturday, I went through a road check. These are common in this area and while stopped, I started chatting up the county deputy and state trooper about HG and the search efforts. They said they had search teams scouring a well known wilderness area, North Mountain. North Mountain is a long gravel road that winds up a mountain and has easy access from I-64W. It is very well known and practically deserted at night. The only people to go up there at night are usually people partying or hunting illegally.
I asked why they were searching North Mtn and he wouldn't say. Craigsville is right over another Mtn from the north Mtn area and I remember hearing local gossip about JM possibly being sighted in Craigsville.
Washington and Lee is located in Lexington and most students and locals know about north Mtn.
Depending on how fast you're driving, it's only an hour and a half to cville. 64 is also very deserted.
I am just wondering why they would be searching this particular area.
I wasn't able to get any more information except that the local LE will be conducting more of those random road checks and asking locals to search their properties.

G
On the night that Morgan disappeared, JM was a taxi driver. Also, the owners of Anchorage Farm were out of the country on a cruise. Perhaps, JM drove them to the airport? Or, he knew that nobody was on the premises at that time.

Most likely JM did wear a headlamp since he knew there was nobody around to see him--since the Bass family was on vacation. On that night there was no moon because it was raining in Charlottesville.

I've often wondered why Lt. Rader said that the murderer of Morgan returned to that spot at times of extreme stress. It makes me wonder if JM would return to the scene of the crime and absent mindedly discard his cigarette butts around MH's remains?!? He thought her body was so well hidden that she'd never be found.

That is interesting!

I so wish there was some way to put this info together and get a picture.

The cab ride makes sense or maybe people just talked about the cruise and he heard.

But, he was lucky getting MH just as he was with HG. He plans ahead for contingencies if he gets lucky?

What on earth does that mean? They have a pretty good idea, a good timeline on where JM was the night Hannah disappeared. It's the morning that is the problem. The trail ends at 1:45-2:00 AM around the area of Tempo. Was he seen later that morning somewhere? When did anyone see him next? That would be so helpful in getting a radius as to how far he could have driven that morning from Tempo.

I think this is where the "8 mile" search radius comes from. I feel strongly that they have information/evidence that closes in the window of opportunity, and based the "8 miles on that...despite what the public is being told!

Hi all. I am a newbie too. In fact, I registered for the sole purpose of relaying informatio I received Saturday.
I live in Rockbridge County, which is west of cville. It is a very rural area, surrounded by forest and large farms. While driving on Rt 39 on Saturday, I went through a road check. These are common in this area and while stopped, I started chatting up the county deputy and state trooper about HG and the search efforts. They said they had search teams scouring a well known wilderness area, North Mountain. North Mountain is a long gravel road that winds up a mountain and has easy access from I-64W. It is very well known and practically deserted at night. The only people to go up there at night are usually people partying or hunting illegally.
I asked why they were searching North Mtn and he wouldn't say. Craigsville is right over another Mtn from the north Mtn area and I remember hearing local gossip about JM possibly being sighted in Craigsville.
Washington and Lee is located in Lexington and most students and locals know about north Mtn.
Depending on how fast you're driving, it's only an hour and a half to cville. 64 is also very deserted.
I wasn't able to get any more information except that the local LE will be conducting more of those random road checks and asking locals to search their properties.

Welcome to the Websleuths family, Appalachiagirl, and thanx very much for your interesting info.. Glad to see that LE has initiated informational roadblocks.

North Mountain. .

Welcome Appalachiagirl! Love your name!

Can you give some description of where, exactly, North Mountain is? Where this access road is?

Also, I'm curious why they're doing the road checks - was it solely to ask you to check your property, or were they checking ID, etc.? Seems strange in a SAR situation to do road checks.

EDIT: Is this over by Goshen? Wow, what a job they've got if they're also searching that area....talk about rural and mountainous, with a river running through. Beautiful country.

This is my first post ever here, so please forgive me if I'm breaking the rules somehow. I live locally and have a chunk of property just north of UVA. The wife (went to college in the area) and I were talking about the fact that, unless folks live here and understand this part of Virginia, most don't have a real true notion of just *how* rural this area is. Once you leave Richmond on 64 West and almost all the way to C-ville, you see very beautiful yet unpopulated rolling mountains, but little else. Lots of farms, untouched plots of land, woods, and rocky outcrops. Past C-Ville, you'll quickly hit 81, and it's pretty much the same, both north and south. Route 29 and Route 15 (also essentially N/S) are the same. It's like this well into West Virginia, too. While they are searching Albemarle County, this entire part of the Commonwealth, for hundreds and hundreds of square miles, is quickly and easily accessible. It's also uninhabited. With the economic downturn, there are too many abandoned properties to count, as well. We both pray for her to be returned to her parents without any additional delay, but I do fear that the Longo needs some serious resources to be allocated to find her, likely from the Commonwealth. Either that, or he's being coy and does indeed have an approximate area to search. MH was found pretty quickly, all things considered. If it's the same perp, he knows to stay away from his normal haunts and go elsewhere. That would mean leaving Albemarle County altogether. Just my 2-cents. Thanks for letting me join in.

Welcome!

You're absolutely correct about how rural and remote the area is. It's overwhelming. We had taken the kids out to Spy Rock for a hike and I thought to myself...he wouldn't even have to go off the road to leave a body if going up the Blue Ridge/Skyline Pkwy. 30 minute drive, no guardrails, steep cliffs, plenty of overlooks to pull over at. And that's just one portion of the area. No muss, no fuss - there and back in an hour.

Just mind boggling to me.

*Not saying he went that route and I realize it's out of the search area.

Good point! There must have been some evidence that suggested he would return. I find it strange that he did that considering he left her there. I wonder if they mean that he would check to be sure the body was still there and if he ever contemplated moving her? I also wonder if she had been there since that night or is he one to move bodies around out of fear? Maybe that's what took him so long to talk with LE, he could have been ensuring that where he left HG was a safe hiding spot.

Seems like it would have been a good place for a cam

T
If LE is looking at JM as a serial killer, then he's being profiled as one. I read an article about Ted Bundy profiling Ridgway for LE. (When they didn't know who Ridgway was). Bundy said the perp goes back to the body. He was right. Both Bundy and Ridgway went back to victim's bodies. .

http://www.thenewstribune.com/2003/11/16/366398_like-minds-bundy-figured-ridgway.html?rh=1

"Bundy also confessed to visiting his victims' bodies over and over again at the Taylor Mountain body dump site. He stated that he would lie with them for hours, applying makeup to their corpses and having sex with their decomposing bodies until putrefaction forced him to abandon the remains. Not long before his death, Bundy admitted to returning to the corpse of Georgeann Hawkins for purposes of necrophilia."

http://www.clarkprosecutor.org/html/death/US/bundy106.htm

Not only do these animals violate women in life, they violate them in death too.

What an aberration. No words!

I am still learning the ins and outs of web sleuths. But I think the road checks are looking for drunk drivers, unlicensed hunters with illegal game, etc. He asked where I lived and when I told him, he knew my farm and it's close proximity to the interstate and Rt 252 and asked if I had searched my property. I am not sure they are doing these checks for information, but rather just asking questions to those they stop.
North Mtn is off i64w. One can take exit 35, the exit for Goshen and either head to Rt 60 or up the gravel road over the mtn. I believe it is called Little North Mtn Wildlife area, but not positive. At the top of the Mtn from the gravel road, is the trailhead for Pete's Cave Trail. Pete's Cave is very long trail and not many people hike the whole thing. At the end of the trail are boulders that have formed caves and such.
There are huge cliffs and rock faces along the main trail and along the gravel road. This road literally climbs straight up a mountain. In the winter, it is impassable except by those with 4x4 and big cajones. It would not be an easy place to search. Also, wildlife is rampant up there.

On the night that Morgan disappeared, JM was a taxi driver. Also, the owners of Anchorage Farm were out of the country on a cruise. Perhaps, JM drove them to the airport? Or, he knew that nobody was on the premises at that time.

Most likely JM did wear a headlamp since he knew there was nobody around to see him--since the Bass family was on vacation. On that night there was no moon because it was raining in Charlottesville.

I've often wondered why Lt. Rader said that the murderer of Morgan returned to that spot at times of extreme stress. It makes me wonder if JM would return to the scene of the crime and absent mindedly discard his cigarette butts around MH's remains?!? He thought her body was so well hidden that she'd never be found.

I'm trying to find where Lt. Rader said that he returned to that spot at times of extreme stress... the only thing I could find was him mentioning the site as a place that he was familiar enough with to return to during high stress situation.

"felt comfortable enough with it to return during what was probably a high-stress situation"
http://www.dailyprogress.com/news/p...3b7-e634-57df-bb24-89f332208eef.html?mode=jqm

Yes! Very near Goshen Pass. Craigsville is right over the mountain from Goshen and North Mountain. Many people from cville know about Goshen Pass. It's very popular in the summer. Fishermen love it (stocked waters) as do hikers, kayakers, etc. Very plausible that JM knows this area and how rural it is.

I am still learning the ins and outs of web sleuths. But I think the road checks are looking for drunk drivers, unlicensed hunters with illegal game, etc. He asked where I lived and when I told him, he knew my farm and it's close proximity to the interstate and Rt 252 and asked if I had searched my property. I am not sure they are doing these checks for information, but rather just asking questions to those they stop.
North Mtn is off i64w. One can take exit 35, the exit for Goshen and either head to Rt 60 or up the gravel road over the mtn. I believe it is called Little North Mtn Wildlife area, but not positive. At the top of the Mtn from the gravel road, is the trailhead for Pete's Cave Trail. Pete's Cave is very long trail and not many people hike the whole thing. At the end of the trail are boulders that have formed caves and such.
There are huge cliffs and rock faces along the main trail and along the gravel road. This road literally climbs straight up a mountain. In the winter, it is impassable except by those with 4x4 and big cajones. It would not be an easy place to search. Also, wildlife is rampant up there.

An FYI; Websleuths Etiquette and Information thread;
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?65798-Etiquette-amp-Information

An FYI; Websleuths Etiquette and Information thread;
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?65798-Etiquette-amp-Information

WS Rules & Info
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?159-The-Rules

Where do you get that? Because of the Fairfax rape case? That is not yet directly linked to JM yet, unless you have some new info. I think that LE is going to have to somehow show that JM was in the Fairfax area at the time of that rape of 2005. They'd be a head of the game right now if they knew or if we know that JM was in Fairfax in 2005. No direct DNA line info released yet. That we might hear when it hits.

Huh? The sketch? The link to MH , Fairfax and HG?

Linked to me.

We are both in the same county. I also noticed a lot of LE cars. Is North Moutain near House Mountain?
Perhaps the tip from IGA in Craigsville that they saw JM had some truth to it. That's my take at least.

We are both in the same county. I also noticed a lot of LE cars. Is North Moutain near House Mountain?
Perhaps the tip from IGA in Craigsville that they saw JM had some truth to it. That's my take at least.

North Mtn is the ridge by House and Little House. It goes between Jump Mtn and House. It's the Mtn ridge you must cross to reach Alleghany County. The interstate crosses it and so does Rt 60. The gravel road is another way to cross and from the gravel road, one can go to Alleghany County or down to Colliers town in Southern Rockbridge.
I agree with you about the IGA tip. It's an odd place for a random search.

If you look at JM's timeline under maps and timelines, you observe a guy who has been spiraling out of control for the last 10 years. The frequency and severity of his LE infractions increase from minor traffic infractions to assault and larceny, more severe traffic infractions, etc... Then the whole police HQ thing, with the run to Galveston: It was only a matter of time.

Got any ideas,of where he would go? Not an address, but the direction or type of place?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kristens5487