ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 25

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @OldCop, the OP’s will surely offer better responses than I will, but my thoughts are that the intimacy stalker may view others surrounding their target as threats. In their warped mind, they think close friends or family of their target are preventing him or her from gaining access to their “love interest.” May even believe other friends have talked the target out of returning the “love” and attention. They become enraged by the rejection, and violent against anyone who assisted the rejection.

jmo
Thanks, @steeltowngirl. That makes good sense.
I’m still on the fence about the motive for this senseless tragedy. Trying to get into the mindset of this cold blooded killer.

At this point, if I were driving that White Elantra and only just happened to be around there at the time the murders happened, I'd be more than afraid to come forward. LE could decide it was me and relentlessly try to make me confess to things I didn't do or simply exhaust me with questions I had no answer to. The killer could suspect that I saw them and come looking for me (everyone seems to want to know everything, so there would be no secret there). I might have been doing something I shouldn't have been doing and would get charged with something that otherwise would never have been known about.

It's not been made easy for anyone to do the right thing and come forward. Not that they wouldn't, but it might be utterly terrifying for them and may take a bit to bolster themselves up for it.
I couldn’t agree with this more.

I think people are forgetting how scary this is for locals. I don’t think anyone is not submitting tips because they are afraid of repercussions for underage drinking, more so they are very fearful of getting caught up with an individual who has the ability to complete a quadruple homicide.

Could the Elantra be an Uber that dropped off the perp somewhere near the house? Meaning, in video, video caught someone getting out of a car somewhere in the vicinity of the crime? I'm sure LE has looked into this but would Uber give up this info willingly?

Is this woman credible? I am wondering why the Chief didn’t mention this earlier today?
Yes, she’s credible - she’s a reporter for KXLY in Spokane.

FWIW, local/regional journos & reporters have done stellar work without the sensationalizing some of the parachute kind thrive on, IMHO.

If the owner of the vehicle and/or passengers do not come forward to authorities soon, it will cast suspicion on them.

They will have their work cut out. Seems like a lot of white cars in that area just in this one screen shot from Google maps Pic from 2021 they all look similar. Hope they figure it out.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221208_214846_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20221208_214846_Maps.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 91
On stolen cars, trends, etc, there are micro trends like whatever is going on on tiktok, much larger trends on urban carjacking which is violent felony (going up on long term trends), and plain old car theft (going down on long term trends).
In my jurisdiction most non force and violence car theft is pled to taking without permission/unauthorized use, minor misdemeanor. If under 25 years old first offense is papered/diverted, ie no record of conviction if you don't get caught again.

I have my doubts though that if this crime was a crime of passion, without person knowing a fair amount about stealing a car, that the car was stolen. One of the reasons why carjacking is so acute is because technology has made it more and more difficult to steal a car .
maybe it was "borrowed," meaning used a friend's or family member's car without explicit permission (speculation)

Last edited:
I suspect the White Elantra is involved.

They aren’t going to say - Mr. Murderer, come on in. We know you murdered them.

For at least five years, there are no suspects in Police Speak, they are POIs until the handcuffs are latched on.

They want to bring in someone as a POI, and the authorities have more legal options than if they name him a suspect.

They say - we want to talk to this person.

IMO, they are looking for the murderer driving that vehicle.

The murderer also isn't stupid and knows that. This release was more for the public to give them more data to build their case, and for the perpetrator to choose *not* to come in because he killed them, which is more compelling data for their case.

They are confident they know who did this, IMO, and are just dotting their I's at this point.

My opinion.

KG's Range Rover was white and it is pretty small- not very SUVish
Img src: Range Rover towed from crime scene in Moscow, Idaho | Fox News Video

Is the black SUV in your video from the crime scene?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221209-110436_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20221209-110436_Samsung Internet.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 41
To piggyback off other poster's questions of why there wasn't an assault, I would like to present a theory.

I don't think the killer knew E was at the house that night. We don't know the order of victims, we just know that two were on the third, two were on the second floor, and two survivors on the first floor. What if the killer went to the third floor first, then back to the second floor? He entered X's room and was caught off guard by E being there. E puts up enough of a fight to wake X and X puts up enough of a fight to have defensive wounds. This scares the killer because he almost lost control and he realized that he doesn't know who exactly is in the house that night. He flees. JMO.
If the killer is local and knew the roommates plans for the evening, he may have know that Ethan accompanied his sister to her sorority formal. Did that make him think that Ethan would probably not be spending the night with X?

FOX News reports that Customs and Border Protection agents are keeping an eye out for the 2011/2013 white Elantra. Would they do that if the person driving it is just a witness?

The person obviously hasn't come forward. Police must feel that the Elantra is of interest.

Moscow has a resident population of under 26000 people. The vehicle may not be resident.
All resident Elantras eliminated from the investigation?

Last edited:
I think the perps would have fled to Canada by now if that was their plan originally. So LE would be a little late to the border game. Therefore they must believe that the perps now think LE is on to them and may now flee.

I don think they would make such a point of asking for sightings from the days before or day of murder, and NOT asking for sightings since the murder if that was the case. There are stories already out there of FBI being flooded with calls of current sightings implying they do not want them.

Now it is tree anything could be going on with the car in question. The police may actually have it, they may have found it stolen at any point after the murders. There are arguments against that, but it is not definitively excluded. Remember the cops do not have to be telling the complete truth of situation with car. An Elentra of that model year range may have been seen on some security camera near the downtown club or fraternity they only recent examined or re-examined. Or an elantra of that color and model year may have been stolen within 150 miles of there and they have only recently coalited the stolen vehicle reports. Or they maybe trying to flush out a potential suspect they already know has access to an elantra and push the psychological screws.

I think the most likely is they are still looking through thousands of videos, not just home security, but business ones, and an very much larger group of stills and videos people taking smartphone pictures or videos at all the possible relevant scenes, ie residence neighborhood, club neighborhood, frat party area, etc. My junior high school age daughter takes hundreds of pics and videos a day. The amount of initially unnoticed stuff in background may not even be looked sat until several perusals of a single video, some of which they likely are just getting now.

As far as going to Canada, that is not exactly a place for perp to flee unless you have only committed some no injury poltical crime, like dodging the draft. It would be 100x better for an American to hide in Philadelphia, Miami or LA.

That car could easily be guided into the woods weeks ago.

A good case can be made that it wouldn’t be around Moscow.

But then you may have tips that someone started walking or borrowing a car in recent weeks. However, it’s very believable to tell people a 10 yr old Hyundai is at the shop, or requires more repairs than it’s worth.

Did you notice those officers were trying to hide their faces and I don’t blame them. I can’t imagine being a detective and seeing the stuff that they see.
I hesitated to say it but I sure hope those are really plain clothes cops, because otherwise…

I agree, they looked and acted a little odd. I wonder if that means they are really putting together the pieces now,

FOX News reports that Customs and Border Protection agents are keeping an eye out for the 2011/2013 white Elantra. Would they do that if the person driving it is just a witness?
Yes...

The Moscow Police Department is utilizing assistance from the Idaho State Police, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, and the Latah County Sheriff’s Office. Assigned resources vary based on the current needs of the investigation. These numbers are approximated and do not reflect additional off-site personnel or other assistance provided.

Moscow Police Department:​

• 6 Detectives
  • 5 Support Staff

Federal Bureau of Investigation:​

• 46 investigators located in Moscow & throughout the United States
  • 2 Behavior Analysis Unit investigators

Idaho State Police:​

• 13 investigators in Moscow
  • 15 uniformed troopers assisting with community patrols
  • Communications Team
  • ISP Forensics Services

Very valuable rejoinder to the absurd claim in some of the press that not enough effort and resources are involved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1