Jose Baez News Briefing of today 9/16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
He is a defense attorney, that's what they do:waitasec:. I don't really think that was the answer I was looking for.

That post was not my elaboration of why I feel Baez made some good points. That post was in response to someone else. My response to your request is much more detailes and canl be found in post #297. :)

Sure, I don't mind elaborating. Jose Baez makes several good points in his briefing, whether you believe Casey killed Caylee or not. It's about our justice system and how it works.

I think he brings up a very good point when he says that when the LE has evidence of a murder, they don't fool around with check charges.

I think he brings up a good point when he says that LE could have originally filed the newest charges before, when they filed the formal charges of her second arrest.

I think he brings up a good point questioning the police tactics in this case (not necessarily their investigation...but their tactics). Police tactics involving media leaks about evidence that has not even been completed nor confirmed.

He brings up the point that you can't believe every leak you hear and that it is not really evidence until it's presented in court. I thought his example of that was a good one...DNA does NOT show whether a person is alive or dead.

I think that he brings up a good point that if the LE really did have legitimate evidence, then why don't they let the defense also exam that evidence.

I think that he brings up a good point to say "we have a missing child", because quite frankly, that is what we have...Casey has not been charged with murder by the LE. However, I believe she has been charged with and convicted of murder by the general population.

Baez brings up a good point that these leaks poison the jury pool and makes it difficult for Casey to have a fair trial. And that if this can been done to Casey, it could be done to anyone out there.

I think that he brings up a good point that as things start to get a little quiet, Casey is arrested or their is some media leak (I too have noticed this).

I think he brings up a good point questioning why the media is allowed to rush up during an arrest and why protestors haven't been arrested and that if they were standing in front of the sheriff's house, committing the same kind of acts, they would be.

With that said, I don't know if Casey is guilty of murdering Caylee or not. But I do believe in our justice system. And I believe that everyone should be presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. I believe that cases should be tried in court where ALL evidence is examed and presented by both the prosecution and the defense. I believe that everyone is entitled to a fair trial. I do not believe that someone should be tried by the media, but I believe that LE is at this time creating this scenario by all the leaks.
LE would be stupid to share their evidence before they have to. I mean really, this isn't how cases are normally handled. Just because JB wants them to doesn't mean they are violating anyone's right by not doing so. They are still investigating this case and have every right to do so without giving JB updates on evidence they do not plan to use in relation to the current charges.

In regard to his comment about when "things quiet down" there always seems to be a "leak"...first off I'm not sure this case has had too many quiet days. Secondly, isn't that the natural ebb and flow of things? Considering there is no body, it is still relatively early in this case and it isn't abnormal for new info to come out in pieces.

What should the protesters have been arrested for? What laws have they broken? The Anthony family has been more violent and destroyed more property than the protesters.

I could go on...but why bother.

I believe that he feels he has no choice to defend it because Casey has been charged and convicted of murder by the general public as a result of this supposed evidence. JMO

The evidence that supports a strong public dislike for this woman is not "supposed", and it has nothing to do with murder. The only thing that is "supposed" is casey's concern for Caylee. If this evidence is not relevant, then why would he even feel compelled to hold press conferences to refute it? Why isnt his client not cooperating with le to find her daughter?

Blah Blah Biaz! I will GLADLY pay for her to go in and out of jail, hows that? :behindbar Also, on the news today they were saying that MANY cases are being held up because KC is holding up so many resources at OCSO with her case. He wants to talk about $$$$$.

Man, he's gonna hang Casey. There is no way she won't end up with an IV at the end of this with blah blah Biaz representing her.

LE would be stupid to share their evidence before they have to. I mean really, this isn't how cases are normally handled. Just because JB wants them to doesn't mean they are violating anyone's right by not doing so. They are still investigating this case and have every right to do so without giving JB updates on evidence they do not plan to use in relation to the current charges.

LE sure doesn't seem to have a problem with sharing "evidence" with the media. Again..I will say that I do not know whether Casey has murdered her little girl or not. However, I do believe that everyone is entitled to a fair trial. This shared "evidence" is prohibiting that. I further believe that Baez feels that he has to defend his client of a murder that she has not been charged yet because the general population believes Casey murdered her...especially because of media leaks of evidence that has not been presented in court. Isn't anyone concerned that if LE does finally charge her with murder that they won't be able to find a jury pool that has not been tainted by leaked evidence? Baez is just trying to do his job.

In regard to his comment about when "things quiet down" there always seems to be a "leak"...first off I'm not sure this case has had too many quiet days. Secondly, isn't that the natural ebb and flow of things? Considering there is no body, it is still relatively early in this case and it isn't abnormal for new info to come out in pieces.

Like I said before, it was something I had noticed myself before Baez made mention of it. Therefore...I think he has a good point.

What should the protesters have been arrested for? What laws have they broken? The Anthony family has been more violent and destroyed more property than the protesters.

Distrubing the peace, loitering, etc... I guarantee you that if I went to some random neighbors house and started yelling and screaming obscenities at the top of my lungs, I would be arrested.

This is my question. If Jose Baez believes his client completely, then he has to believe that Zanny the Nanny took little Caylee. If Caylee is dead then Zanny the Nanny has to have killed Caylee. Then he should expect LE if they are doing their jobs to charge Zanny the Nanny with murder.
Now why would he file an order demanding access to evidence to a missing person's case(which is all this is now, until the DA files charges). Now unless he is Zanny the Nanny's lawyer and expects to defend her, how can he send a request to have an observer there. Would that not screw up the case for the DA to have CA's people there observing the evidence in Zanny's trial? Could they not make a case that CA's people wanted to taint the evidence?
It seems to me that he is admitting that they have enough evidence, and fully expects the DA to charge his client with murder or mandslaughter. He has no idea how the investigation is going, or who they are focusing on. Talking about jumping the gun. I have a friend who is a lawyer, and he said he has never heard of such a thing before any charges are filed.

The evidence that supports a strong public dislike for this woman is not "supposed", and it has nothing to do with murder. The only thing that is "supposed" is casey's concern for Caylee. If this evidence is not relevant, then why would he even feel compelled to hold press conferences to refute it? Why isnt his client not cooperating with le to find her daughter?

Like I said before, I do not know whether Casey murdered her daughter or not. There is NO proof of that. There is NO disproof of that. I am not saying that I support Casey.

What I am saying is that I support our justice system. And the reason I believe that Baez feels he has to refute "evidence" that may not be relevant is because he feels the general population feels it is relevant. He is a defense attorney, it is his job to defend his client.

Let me pose this question. Why in the world would LE leak information about evidence that they have, that they would eventually plan to use in a court of law to convict Casey? Why would they risk tainting a jury pool that could possibly lead to an acquittal? Does that make sense to you? Because it sure does not make sense to me.

LE sure doesn't seem to have a problem with sharing "evidence" with the media. Again..I will say that I do not know whether Casey has murdered her little girl or not. However, I do believe that everyone is entitled to a fair trial. This shared "evidence" is prohibiting that. I further believe that Baez feels that he has to defend his client of a murder that she has not been charged yet because the general population believes Casey murdered her...especially because of media leaks of evidence that has not been presented in court. Isn't anyone concerned that if LE does finally charge her with murder that they won't be able to find a jury pool that has not been tainted by leaked evidence? Baez is just trying to do his job.

Baez may want to see the evidence but no murder charges have been filed and LE doesn't have to give him anything. Fair enough. That is the law for everyone, not just Casey. If he doesn't like then he should work to have the law changed instead of trying to look like a victim. You have no idea how much of the evidence LE is sharing, and again it not unusual for LE to share info on cases prior to charges being filed against a suspect. Baez is doing just as much "trying in the media" as LE....pot meet kettle. LE is just trying to do their job.

Like I said before, it was something I had noticed myself before Baez made mention of it. Therefore...I think he has a good point.

So is it supposed to be quiet all the time or busy all the time? It is the natural flow of any case that goes on awhile.

Distrubing the peace, loitering, etc... I guarantee you that if I went to some random neighbors house and started yelling and screaming obscenities at the top of my lungs, I would be arrested.

Not if you have a permit to protest.

So are you allowed to scream obscenities at others if you are on your own property? How about destroy their property when they are on public property? Don't think so...so everyone should be arrested. The vast majority of the protesters aren't "yelling obscenities at the top of their lungs"...just the few that get the pub.

I don't know...I'm just sick of Casey being made out to be Joan of Arc or something. (holding head high, she's being abused by the system blah blah.

Casey is nothing more than a common criminal. A thief, a liar and the only thing that makes her special, especially disgusting, that is the fact that she places her own self above her lost 3year old daughter.

At this point Baez isn't defending a murderer, he's defending a common thief and the only thing that's needed at this point is, no comment. Hold her head up..psssh...sure she does because she's not normal, she has no shame!

Casey has had it pretty good, if you ask me, avererage Joe wouldn't be out on bond gifted by people outside of family.

Baez may want to see the evidence but no murder charges have been filed and LE doesn't have to give him anything. Fair enough. That is the law for everyone, not just Casey. If he doesn't like then he should work to have the law changed instead of trying to look like a victim. You have no idea how much of the evidence LE is sharing, and again it not unusual for LE to share info on cases prior to charges being filed against a suspect. Baez is doing just as much "trying in the media" as LE....pot meet kettle. LE is just trying to do their job.

The bottom line is this, nobody should be tried by the media. Evidence should not be released to the media/public. I do not think that this is the way our justice system was set up. And I think that this applies to all cases not just this case.

So is it supposed to be quiet all the time or busy all the time? It is the natural flow of any case that goes on awhile.

I don't know how it is supposed to go. All I can tell you is this is something I have noticed.

Not if you have a permit to protest.

So are you allowed to scream obscenities at others if you are on your own property? How about destroy their property when they are on public property? Don't think so...so everyone should be arrested. The vast majority of the protesters aren't "yelling obscenities at the top of their lungs"...just the few that get the pub.

Do they indeed have a permit? Under what organization? Or are they all getting separate permits? I'm sorry, but I believe that the whole protestor thing outside the Anthony home needs to come to a stop. And I do believe they are breaking laws.

(snipped)

Do they indeed have a permit? Under what organization? Or are they all getting separate permits? I'm sorry, but I believe that the whole protestor thing outside the Anthony home needs to come to a stop. And I do believe they are breaking laws.

Yeah, they all have obtained a joint permit. It is called the U.S. Constitution.

The organization is the Constitutional Convention.

What I am saying is that I support our justice system. And the reason I believe that Baez feels he has to refute "evidence" that may not be relevant is because he feels the general population feels it is relevant. He is a defense attorney, it is his job to defend his client.

Let me pose this question. Why in the world would LE leak information about evidence that they have, that they would eventually plan to use in a court of law to convict Casey? Why would they risk tainting a jury pool that could possibly lead to an acquittal? Does that make sense to you? Because it sure does not make sense to me.

He does not have the right, and it will be refused by a judge at this point because his client is not part of a case where that evidence is part of their defense. When and if his client is charged, then he will like every defense attorney has the right to test, and oversee any evidence in a case against his client. Otherwise he would be interfering with a murder case against Cindy/George/Lee/Zanny/SammySis/UncleRalph .....
As for the reason LE would leak information, please remember the audio interview tapes and the 400 pages that were released, were released by order of a judge because local 6 and the orlando sentinal demanded it under the freedom of information act(as well as the audio recordings of the telephone calls). Now as for the other leaks, like when the State Attorney General's office releasing the information that Baez had come to them requesting that an immunity deal be offered to his client because she was open to it, was done because Baez kept denying and lying to the press. They had the right to set the record straight, when misinformation about them and how they operate was being spread.
As for the leaks about the gases test, perhaps it was to help gather new tips, and encourage anyone who might be hesitating with any type of information to come forward. It might have also been leaked to help ease some of the family so they can find some peace, and focus on justice for Caylee, and possibly refocus to find where her body happens to be so they can bury her. It could also be that they hoped they could encourage Cindy/George/Lee to honestly ask and demand Caylee to stop lying.
I also know that it has been stated quite a few times that they have not released but a small portion of the evidence they have collected.
I seem to remember so many people talking about what LE had or had not done, if they had check out Caylee sightings, checked the phone records etc. It was not until the 400 pages that were released that it became obvious that yes LE had done all of those things, and had done them well. Again people are accusing LE of things but since we really have no idea what they are and are not doing, we need to remember this is all just opinion, and it could be very wrong opinion.

(snipped)

The bottom line is this, nobody should be tried by the media. Evidence should not be released to the media/public. I do not think that this is the way our justice system was set up. And I think that this applies to all cases not just this case.

Unless there is an over riding concern, approved by a Court, as to why evidence, and proceedings in the Justice system should be held private,
(such as when a 4 year old rape victim testifies)

it is , by law, open to the public, a public proceeding and subject to general knowlege of all of us. That is the nature of the Justice beast.

It is exactly how our system was set up.

Yeah, they all have obtained a joint permit. It is called the U.S. Constitution.

The organization is the Constitutional Convention.

While I do believe in Freedom of Speech, there are certain laws that need to be followed. And from what I understand, you have to have a permit in the state of Florida (if I am wrong on this, someone let me know as this is what I have heard). And I do believe that there are laws being broken here. I'm not saying that people can't speak their minds, but they do have to follow the law and it is the job of LE to enforce the law.

Unless there is an over riding concern, approved by a Court, as to why evidence, and proceedings in the Justice system should be held private,
(such as when a 4 year old rape victim testifies)

it is , by law, open to the public, a public proceeding and subject to general knowlege of all of us. That is the nature of the Justice beast.

It is exactly how our system was set up.

What we are talking about, the media leaks that I'm referring to, are not public record. They are media leaks. Plain and simple.

I don't know...I'm just sick of Casey being made out to be Joan of Arc or something. (holding head high, she's being abused by the system blah blah.

Casey is nothing more than a common criminal. A thief, a liar and the only thing that makes her special, especially disgusting, that is the fact that she places her own self above her lost 3year old daughter.

At this point Baez isn't defending a murderer, he's defending a common thief and the only thing that's needed at this point is, no comment. Hold her head up..psssh...sure she does because she's not normal, she has no shame!

Casey has had it pretty good, if you ask me, avererage Joe wouldn't be out on bond gifted by people outside of family.
:clap:

While I do believe in Freedom of Speech, there are certain laws that need to be followed. And from what I understand, you have to have a permit in the state of Florida (if I am wrong on this, someone let me know as this is what I have heard). And I do believe that there are laws being broken here. I'm not saying that people can't speak their minds, but they do have to follow the law and it is the job of LE to enforce the law.

They are not breaking the law. jmo

What are these "laws" you believe are broken. No permit is required for these folks

jmo

What we are talking about, the media leaks that I'm referring to, are not public record. They are media leaks. Plain and simple.

Sorry, YOU SAID, "PROCEEDINGS IN THE JUSTICE SYSTEM SHOULD BE HELD PRIVATE."

Thought you meant it.

We've been through the "leaks" concept with other well-versed posters. That horse has passed away.

see this is the part that is driving them crazy!! that's why he does pressers, thats why the a's play on the computer. they are going crazy waiting to be charged. they know something is coming, they just don't know what. Anybody know what the fear of the unknown is like?It's maddening. Til she is charged, they can't see evidence, they can't start their defense tactics, they can't make a move til they know what they are dealing with. That's why they argue facts and say, "why don't they charge her if they have that evidence? they haven't charged her with anything! all we know is a child is missing. " They are tormented by thoughts of what could happen while trying to find someone, anyone that will validate their hope nothing does happen. This presser is more proof of the downward spiral these people are going through, it's way too long, and makes him look totally desperate. Every point he makes might be valid if he were only working an "economic crime" case. By trying to downplay the charges, it is obvious he right there on the playing field with le. He is making statements without taking in the entire scope of this case and making careless statements. "waste of taxpayer $" "playing games" when his client is far more guilty of wasting taxpayer money with her lies, and started the game playing by leading the detectives on wild goose chases. To make such careless statements only shows how much of an amateur he is and how he really is in over his head.

One of the news stations did a story on this in the last week or 2 - sorry, don't remember which one - and said no permit is needed unless you have 100 people or more.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela
Back