GUILTY PA - Nalani Johnson, 2, Penn Hills Boro, Allegheny County, 31 Aug 2019 *Arrest* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thr coroner never determined a COD. More like pushing back against the DA not waiting.
I read the headline and article.
UPDATE: Coroner releases statement on Nalani Johnson, retracts homicide, other causes.
I hope this is not a sign of the whole team. Not working together and speaking to media with twist and turns.
DA says, Coroner says, LE says, social media says. It gets confusing. And could cause a sudden sealing and future gag order.
Thank you for your post.
You cleared it up quite nicely.

Marypoppinz In Maleahs case there was repeated, documented abuse. Can you point to the same in this case? Documented other than moms filing that she never revisted? Again wow with victim blaming.
We don’t know if there’s more to come out yet it’s still early days, you could Be right he could be completely innocent of any wrong doing he could be a brilliant father it’s unfortunate that what was leaked about him was some serious allegations of abuse and that’s all I have to go on in regards to his character I’m open minded right now I guess maybe I’m pessimistic or expect the worst from people we all have different life experiences like I said before and we have different opinions.

I know people have said that the Maleah Davis case was completely different to this case but is it though? The partner of one of the children’s parents has killed there child ... there were people in court screaming at Maleah Davis mother to go to hell and calling her a baby killer but we’re all full of excuses for this guy there might not have been any red flags ... mother was probably lying about him to gain a protective order as revenge Dad might have accidentally nearly killed her. seriously? I think before we call him a victim let’s wait and see the police will check nursery and stuff like that and find out if she was being well looked after or not and wether the parents did everything they could to keep her safe and then once he’s cleared I will call him a victim we don’t have enough details on this case to be able to form a correct picture that’s why I say it’s my opinion it isn’t fact because we just don’t know what life was like for that little girl at the moment or wether this could have been prevented

What's even just as upsetting is the fact that others are basically accusing the mother of lying about the incidents in April. She was a victim as well as Nalani- she went to court for this. Why she didn't show up- who knows. They could have talked it out, he may have apologized and told her he would never do that again (there is a pattern of this in abusive relationships, but we don't need to go there). Had she dismissed the charges she made against him, I'd say, ok, perhaps it might have been a custody dispute issue. She didn't dismiss them, she didn't show up. We don't know why, but yet others on here are piling up on the Mom saying it might have been a custody thing, that no witnesses saw those incidents happen, even though her sister was listed as one. Besides, many domestic incidents don't have witnesses, unless it is the children. Once in awhile it happens in front of family members or friends, but many times, the abuser attacks the victim when no one else is around to help them.

This could be considered victim blaming, too.

Last edited:
We don’t know if there’s more to come out yet it’s still early days, you could Be right he could be completely innocent of any wrong doing he could be a brilliant father it’s unfortunate that what was leaked about him was some serious allegations of abuse and that’s all I have to go on in regards to his character I’m open minded right now I guess maybe I’m pessimistic or expect the worst from people we all have different life experiences like I said before and we have different opinions.
I’m not victim blaming it’s not black and white it’s not that simple in regards to the death of his daughter yes he is a victim he didn’t kill his daughter but was he a good parent was he abusive or violent infront of his daughter did he safe guard his daughter properly did he know Nancy was crazy but took his child around her anyway they are all questions that haven’t been answered we don’t know yet that’s what the police will Be investigating I expect to find out how this happened

Officials involved in the investigation met Wednesday afternoon to discuss the details of the case and how to proceed moving forward.

According to Zappala's office, all charges resulting from Nalani's death will be prosecuted in Allegheny County, with Indiana County District Attorney Patrick Dougherty "having a significant partnership role in the prosecution."
NALANI JOHNSON: Death of child who was reported kidnapped ruled a homicide

While the manner of death has not been determined by Indiana County Coroner Jerry Overman, pending all the results, both District Attorney’s agree that this will likely continue as a homicide investigation.
Both DAs expect likely homicide charges pending Nalani Johnson’s autopsy results

I see now it was the DA who said it will like continue as a homicide investigation. The coroner had not stated it as a homicide.

Marypoppinz In Maleahs case there was repeated, documented abuse. Can you point to the same in this case? Documented other than moms filing that she never revisted? Again wow with victim blaming.
Okay can you also point me in the direction of where it is documented Nalanis mother is a liar and therefore likely to apply for false orders of protection “other than moms filing that she never revisited” your implying because she didn’t go threw with the order that she was lying or thought he was safe it may Be because they had made up and she didn’t want to get the father of her child in legal trouble I know of women beat to an inch of there life and file a police report but not show up for court and believe me they defo got beat up and wasn’t lying! Love and fear amongst other reasons could have something to do with her not going threw with the order

I see now it was the DA who said it will like continue as a homicide investigation. The coroner had not stated it as a homicide.
A put the cart in front of the horse statement that defences attorneys could use also. This was fast action however I see a lot of emotions in the DA and LE. I can understand why.
But they have/need to be careful.

I read the headline and article.
UPDATE: Coroner releases statement on Nalani Johnson, retracts homicide, other causes.
I hope this is not a sign of the whole team. Not working together and speaking to media with twist and turns.
DA says, Coroner says, LE says, social media says. It gets confusing. And could cause a sudden sealing and future gag order.
Thank you for your post.
You cleared it up quite nicely.

Nancy still hasn't been charged with homicide but the DA also made it clear today the evidence points only to her. I'm wondering if she drugged Nalani with drugs prescribed to herself and that's why the toxicology results are so important. She sounds like a very unstable woman to get into an argument with the other passenger and then take off before Johnson could extract his child from the car.

JMO

Different source, different spin on WHO is responsible Tribune Review
(I don't believe I've seen this posted yet) Interesting for sure!

https://triblive.com/local/pittsburgh-allegheny/death-of-penn-hills-toddler-nalani-johnson-ruled-a-homicide/
From the link:

A Penn Hills woman already in custody is the only person thought to be involved in Nalani Johnson’s suspected kidnapping and death over the Labor Day weekend, Allegheny County District Attorney Stephen A. Zappala Jr. said Thursday.

Nalani’s father, Paul Johnson, isn’t implicated in the case, has cooperated with authorities and is grieving the loss of his daughter, Zappala said.

[...]

The cause and manner of Nalani’s death haven’t been decided, Overman said.

“It’s clearly a homicide,” Zappala said. “As soon as the coroner is done with his work, we’ll take care of our end.”

Nalani likely died Saturday, and there’s no evidence she died of exposure, Zappala said. She was found by a Westmoreland County deputy coroner and a search dog in a wooded area just inside the Indiana County line near Blairsville about 37 miles from Penn Hills.

[...]

Johnson has cooperated with authorities, and neither Johnson or Rouse is thought to be involved in the crime, Zappala said.

“The only evidence that we have right now is that the defendant, the person who is under arrest right now for the kidnapping charges, is responsible for taking the baby and ultimately the homicide,” Zappala said.

[...]

Allegheny County police are leading the investigation with the help of state police from Westmoreland and Indiana counties and the FBI, Zappala said.

[...]

Nalani’s mother, Gladys Duarte, 20, of Penn Hills, declined to comment.

[...]

“I don’t think any effort that was undertaken after Saturday would have saved the child’s life,” Zappala said.

So does dad now get treated like a victim or nah? Or are we keeping that same energy?
The family - Mom, Dad, Grandparents, all of them - are considered by Websleuths to be victims unless and until one of them is named a POI or suspect by LE.
Link to The Rules aka TOS
Okay can you also point me in the direction of where it is documented Nalanis mother is a liar and therefore likely to apply for false orders of protection “other than moms filing that she never revisited” your implying because she didn’t go threw with the order that she was lying or thought he was safe it may Be because they had made up and she didn’t want to get the father of her child in legal trouble I know of women beat to an inch of there life and file a police report but not show up for court and believe me they defo got beat up and wasn’t lying! Love and fear amongst other reasons could have something to do with her not going threw with the order
Is it possible that the two of you could agree to disagree?

Maybe use the conversation feature (See "Inbox" at the top right of your screen) where you can debate who's a victim and who's not without derailing the thread?

There's also an ignore feature if someone's posts are getting on your nerves. Just click on their avatar and choose "Ignore." TIA MOO

Last edited:
They say it's homicide and dad wasn't involved. I would guess that she could have purchased something that was used to kill the baby and they have those videos and or purchase information. That would give them the proof based on the times that she was solely responsible for the poor baby's death. We don't know what she bought...if it were antifreeze, some type of OTC drug that's deadly when given to a child in large amounts. I would put my $$ on it being something she bought that they can say there were no injuries to Nalani. This information would also be why they need to wait for the tox screens before determining what caused her death. Rest in Peace Nalani.
JMO MOO

Nancy still hasn't been charged with homicide but the DA also made it clear today the evidence points only to her. I'm wondering if she drugged Nalani with drugs prescribed to herself and that's why the toxicology results are so important. She sounds like a very unstable woman to get into an argument with the other passenger and then take off before Johnson could extract his child from the car.

JMO
I'm wondering if she gave her something with a needle that might have killed her instantly.

From the link:

The cause and manner of Nalani’s death haven’t been decided, Overman said.

“It’s clearly a homicide,” Zappala said. “As soon as the coroner is done with his work, we’ll take care of our end.”

Nalani likely died Saturday, and there’s no evidence she died of exposure, Zappala said. She was found by a Westmoreland County deputy coroner and a search dog in a wooded area just inside the Indiana County line near Blairsville about 37 miles from Penn Hills.

counties and the FBI, Zappala said.

[...]
RSBM

Hmmm, this plus the coroners statement make me question no obvious signs of trauma. There’s just too much unknown at this point.

Oh, man . . . what happened???

So now her death was NOT a homicide?

ETA: Still working on COD. Okay. Time will tell.

Cause of death and manner of death are two different things. For instance, cause of death could be drowning but manner of death is homicide. Not saying that is what happened here, it's just an example. I think the disconnect between the conflicting statements about Nalani's death has to do with confusing the two.

I apologize if someone already addressed this, I'm behind in my reading.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mechahendrix
Back