SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #21

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
We have heard recordings of Alec telling LE that he was never down at the kennels -- that he watched TV and took a nap.

I’ll just point you here to my earlier response to this. The question I am answering is how the defense will attempt to counter this testimony. Not whether the testimony is true, false, doctored, forged, coerced, etc.

The question I was responding to was how the defense would account for Alex’s proximity to the kennels prior to the murders.

Your second sentence here is exactly what I said in my second sentence. Which is the important distinction.

When you are tied to a story, you have to attack witness credibility to counter. Or you say that you recalled incorrectly due to stress or dismay from the trauma of the situation. Which is why I answered the way I did; that’s what I think the defense will attempt to show.

I’m not cheerleading for Murdaugh here. He is clearly a , fraud, thief, con man. But I’m not blind to the problems the prosecution needs to cover to secure a conviction.

Right? Why didn't they wait to do this until after the trial was over?
This was totally inappropriate for her daughter to do and probably opportunistic but don't you think she probably didn't know any better? Think of one of the adjectives that DH used today concerning a certain witness that made us angry. MOO.

MT certainly wasn't thinking -- he's got himself in hot water and may have done some serious damage to his credibility. MOO.

I've got to tell you in all honesty, I want to send MS flowers but couldn't determine an address, but would not contribute to Go-Fund-Me. That seems a superficial gesture -- crass. OMHO.

Strange, I am not sure what is going on now. I am looking at it right now and people are still donating. I do recall the initial fundraiser mentioned that she had to take a leave of absence from her job due to the trial.

This seems so wrong. It’ll probably be on the national news tonight. It reeks of impropriety IMO. I hope it doesn’t cause a mistrial or grounds for appeal. Of course the jury will hear of this because it’s unheard of. I know they’re not supposed to discuss or review info about the case, but in this digital day and age, at least some will. It could cause her credibility to be doubted, and she’s a critical witness. JMO.

Apparently SLED senior special agent David Owen is supposed to be a critical witness who will tie the evidence together for the State and explain how the investigation led to the arrest of AM. Another important investigation witness is supposed to be Ryan Neill, a SLED regional captain.

"According to my sources, the prosecution’s direct examination of Owen will take at least one full day – but unlike Friday afternoon’s mostly perfunctory testimony, it will tell a story based on the evidence already introduced.

“He is going to be responsible for presenting the investigative case,” another source familiar with Owen’s testimony told me.

Owen and Neill are also expected to carry the weight of rebutting Harpootlian and Griffin’s theory that the state “rushed to judgment” in accusing Murdaugh of these crimes."

I feel like I’m having déjà vu. Didn’t they already testify?

This seems so wrong. It’ll probably be on the national news tonight. It reeks of impropriety IMO. I hope it doesn’t cause a mistrial or grounds for appeal. Of course the jury will hear of this because it’s unheard of. I know they’re not supposed to discuss or review info about the case, but in this digital day and age, at least some will. It could cause her credibility to be doubted, and she’s a critical witness. JMO.
If the defense asks to call Shelly Smith or the daughter who started the page as witnesses during their case, the judge will probably allow it. It's up to the Defense to decide if they want to put them on the stand. JMO.

I'm not going to judge the daughter/family who started the Go - Fund - Me. I can't imagine what they must be going through and what they went through.
All they had to do is wait awhile. Geez, the prosecution hasn’t even rested.

And if theres a mistrial, which is very possible, Ms Shelly’s testimony at a retrial will be called into question.

This trial is becoming very messy IMHO. And Harpootlian hasn’t even pulled out his bag of tricks yet.

That said, I appreciate the judge‘s calm approach to all this. I’d be so pissed (which is why I could never be a judge!).

Miller Shealy, a former state and federal prosecutor and current professor at the Charleston School of Law, told The Post and Courier he had never seen a fundraiser for a traumatized witness.

But Shealy said he didn’t see anything improper as long as its organizers are truthful and people know where their money is going.

“I have never heard of such a thing, but I don’t have any reason to believe it is improper,” Shealy said.

Shortly after Barber raised the issue with Judge Newman, someone donated $10 to the campaign in his name.

BBM - had a good laugh!!

IMO the state is willing to chance that if they get a conviction it may be overturned and should that happen, they will most likely put him on trial again.

I agree with you about Wilson. I don't think he was all that naive when it came to not sending the fee checks with the expense checks and was being very careful not to say anything that would implicate himself. IMO the state needed him more for groundwork for the $792K CFO conversation evidence on 6-7.

I disagree about Wilson. We've not heard that Wilson needed immunity to testify here and no attorney worth his degree would testify if they were at risk.

Also, Wilson lost the $192K he fronted for AM. He had to use personal monies to fund his trust account and although he requested and AM agreed to sign a promissory note for that money, AM has never repaid Wilson.

I think Wilson was in awe of AM and was totally dupped by him. No truer words than AM sh_tted him up. MOO

ETA: Watching Court TV closing arguments and understanding that during JG's cross of Wilson, AM looked at his attorney and motioned no to him (shaking his head no) at his line of questioning. Interesting -- had to be a show for the jury. MOO

Last edited:
If the defense asks to call Shelly Smith or the daughter who started the page as witnesses during their case, the judge will probably allow it. It's up to the Defense to decide if they want to put them on the stand. JMO.
I think it would be unwise of the defense to call either one. In MS testimony, AM was insinuating 30-40 minutes for his visit time and also mentioned something about helping her with her schooling (IRRC). She even discussed the matter with her brother I believe. That reeks of payoff to me and if AM was willing to 'buy' 30-40-minutes, they can't really claim it would be wrong for the public to help MS with her schooling? IMO it would shine a bright light on the Murdaugh double standard and I don't think the jury would appreciate that. I believe the jury would think AM was just P.O.'d that she didn't acquiesce. jmo

There is a need but this is bad timing.
The timing did dim the light and yes a need for it. As for thinking about themselves, at times one must do just that especially in this town where one man has changed the lives of many financially and mentally and their views of their fellow man. Never heard of anyone who has not just thought of themselves at one time or another, um maybe a Monk up in the Himalayas.

I'm thinking about Mrs. Wilson, the caretaker, she's been hostage by this case for years, she's testified and now feels freedom from it. Her family has witnessed the stress and they want to help her and have seen the support for her. May not be the best timing for a G F M because the trial is still going on. JMO

I feel like the caregiver needs a Go Fund Me. This woman will probably have to move in order to be safe. JMO
Agreed and sure AM's deeds will continue to pop up throughout the area yet I notice a dim view on this point as if it has affected them personally. The ole saying " Walk a mile in their shoes".

Last edited:
I can imagine that after watching MS testify there were a lot of people who tried to reach out to her. I guess her daughter may have been overwhelmed with the attention. <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member