TX - Terri 'Missy' Bevers, 45, killed in church/suspect in SWAT gear, Midlothian, 18 Apr 2016 #45

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a clarification of how SP is holding that flashlight-like object in front of the auditorium:

View attachment 290388 View attachment 290389
Click to enlarge

ALL IMO

-Nin
I’ve confirmed that the church did not lock the auditorium doors.

While I have not been able to see anything in the killer’s left hand, it has always bothered me the way they lift that hand higher than is necessary to pull on the door handle. It seems unnatural. It also doesn’t make sense, if they are carrying an object, for it to be a flashlight. They already have a flashlight on their head, and it’s clearly switched on.

So what is up with the left hand, whether empty or not?

While I have not been able to see anything in the killer’s left hand, it has always bothered me the way they lift that hand higher than is necessary to pull on the door handle. It seems unnatural. It also doesn’t make sense, if they are carrying an object, for it to be a flashlight. They already have a flashlight on their head, and it’s clearly switched on.

The auditorium entrance, are we looking at a double door? Any windows? Visible lock (even though they kept the Auditorium door(s) unlocked, as you said)?
If the perp was to carry a flashlight, it would be a typical way LE operates it, vertical hammer fist, 90 degrees. Just saying.

ALL IMO

-Nin

Are you referring to when the perp approaches the auditorium door? Was there any type of glass on that door or was it solid?

The auditorium entrance, are we looking at a double door? Any windows? Visible lock (even though they kept the Auditorium door(s) unlocked, as you said)?
If the perp was to carry a flashlight, it would be a typical way LE operates it, vertical hammer fist, 90 degrees. Just saying.

ALL IMO

-Nin

Are you referring to when the perp approaches the auditorium door? Was there any type of glass on that door or was it solid?

It was two doors, solid, no glass. I don’t have a straight-on picture from the hallway, but I have these pics from inside the auditorium:

AF012346-1416-4B40-A139-1DE162EDC782.png E6D57E97-C0F4-484E-9DC1-D3B190F6D17A.png

Calculating Swat Perp's Height. Sign at Door?
.... The subject in the photo is 5’1-1/2”. The photo is at eye level as opposed to the surveillance video shooting down from about 9 feet. View attachment 290310View attachment 290314
@Gumshoe Stories sbm Thanks for your post w pix & link. Not questioning your method, GS, just tossing idea up for you or anyone, if this has not already been discussed.

Are the two linked pix or screen shots at same door? Kinda, sorta looks like they are imo, could be wrong.
Pic of non-SP shows "CHURCH OFFICE" wall sign to the right of Dutch door/split door.
Pic of SP shows SP (at same or diff door?) w sign or dark blob (if not an artifact?) on very right of image.
Knowing the height of lower edge of wall sign or dark blob might help calculate SP's height.

If same door for both pix (kinda, sorta looks like they are imo), a calculation might start w in-person visit to church to measure height of lower edge of "CHURCH OFFICE" wall sign to the right.
If SP is not same door w ^ office sign, maybe someone can determine which door and then w an in-person visit can measure height of lower edge of dark blob on very right of image.

Not claiming expertise. Others here have used extraordinary skill :) for this work and may already have used sign placement as a starting point. my2ct.

Note: assumes signs have not been moved (wall repainting?) since SP vid was recorded in 2016.

Last edited:
Calculating Swat Perp's Height. Sign at Door?
@Gumshoe Stories sbm Thanks for your post w pix & link. Not questioning your method, GS, just tossing idea up for you or anyone, if this has not already been discussed.

Are the two linked pix or screen shots at same door? Kinda, sorta looks like they are imo, could be wrong.
Pic of non-SP shows "CHURCH OFFICE" wall sign to the right of Dutch door/split door.
Pic of SP may show SP at same door from other angle. Or maybe at diff door.
Knowing the height of lower edge of wall sign in either or both pix might help calculate SP's height.

If same door for both pix (kinda, sorta looks like they are imo), a calculation might start w in-person visit to church to measure height of lower edge of "CHURCH OFFICE" wall sign to the right.
If SP is not at door at same door w ^ office sign, maybe someone can determine which door and then w an in-person visit can measure height of lower edge of dark blob (if not an artifact?) on very right of image frame.

Not claiming expertise. Others here have used extraordinary skill :) for this work and may already have used sign placement as a starting point. my2ct.

Note: assumes signs have not been moved (wall repainting?) since SP vid was recorded in 2016.
Yes, same door. That’s really the point of posting the pics, to show you a person of known height next to the door and then a person of unknown height (the killer) at that same location.

It isn’t known what the measurement to the church office sign is. What we do know is that it’s 84 inches from floor to doorframe. The bottom door is 41.25” and the top door is 42”.

Here is a clarification of how SP is holding that flashlight-like object in front of the auditorium:

View attachment 290388 View attachment 290389
Click to enlarge

ALL IMO

-Nin

It looks like a hand gun could be in the left hand and a flashlight in the right. IF that is the case could the perp be left handed???
The perp clearly looks directly at the camera IMO at this point as well.
Based on the pics posted, this door isn't a turn style handle but one where you push that middle area. It could have been pushed open with body weight if both hands are up holding a possible flashlight/gun or other object?
I wonder if the perp heard her in the building and was moving toward her.
Maybe someone can advise if this is a door that would have been used by the victim during set up/carrying in equipment. If it was, why wait so far away/down the hall if she was the target?

It looks like a hand gun could be in the left hand and a flashlight in the right. IF that is the case could the perp be left handed???
Based on the pics posted, this door isn't a turn style handle but one where you push that middle area. It could have been pushed open with body weight if both hands are up holding a possible flashlight/gun or other object?
Maybe someone can advise if this is a door that would have been used by the victim during set up/carrying in equipment. If it was, why wait so far away/down the hall if she was the target?
A hammer is in the right hand.
The doors open out rather than in. The killer would have had to pull to open.

A hammer is in the right hand.
The doors open out rather than in. The killer would have had to pull to open.

Thanks for the clarifier. Do you know if the victim may have used this door to bring in equipment?

Edit to add: when I saw the doors I was thinking they could be the type that swing either direction.

Last edited:

I've never believed she was targeted. Imo, she happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time.

I believe this is why this case is so hard to be solved, and it may never be unless someone who knows the suspect knows something, and comes forward.

We all know the very hardest cases of all for LE to solve is where there isn't any familiar link whatsoever between the victim/s, and their murderer/s.

Imo, if the perp knew Missy even casually by now LE would have found that link.

Imo, the suspect is a stranger to Missy, and all who knew her.

Jmho

Thanks for the clarifier. Do you know if the victim may have used this door to bring in equipment?
That door leads into the church auditorium. So it just all depends on if the auditorium is where she planned to hold the class. One source who I talked to believes that this may have been the first time for them to ever work out inside.

It was two doors, solid, no glass. I don’t have a straight-on picture from the hallway, but I have these pics from inside the auditorium:

View attachment 290424 View attachment 290425

Thank you GS,

check this out:

MPD video section, where SP is standing in front of one of the office rooms next to the nursery. He walks down the hallway and disappears, comes back..AND LEAVES THE LIGHT ON IN THAT BACK ROOM?

Video
creekside-church-surveillance-video-update light in the back hallway SE.mp4

MB SP SE Hallway Offices light 3.jpg
Click to enlarge

That is very strange! What room is that, do you know, GS? If it's one of the offices, would the light would be seen outside the portico area?

ALL IMO

-Nin

That door leads into the church auditorium. So it just all depends on if the auditorium is where she planned to hold the class. One source who I talked to believes that this may have been the first time for them to ever work out inside.
I am very certain that they had worked out inside before. I believe it was poster @arkansasmimi who found photos of MB and her boot camp in the main hallway. They were in front of the coffee place folding door and the auditorium doors on that side, a photo with mats working out and a group photo. Maybe it was just one time, or they went indoors just fir better light to take photos?

:) I wish we had started a photos and diagrams thread only way back 5 years ago!

Thank you GS,

check this out:

MPD video section, where SP is standing in front of one of the office rooms next to the nursery. He walks down the hallway and disappears, comes back..AND LEAVES THE LIGHT ON IN THAT BACK ROOM?

Video
creekside-church-surveillance-video-update light in the back hallway SE.mp4

View attachment 290476
Click to enlarge

That is very strange! What room is that, do you know, GS? If it's one of the offices, would the light would be seen outside the portico area?

ALL IMO

-Nin

I agree it looks like a light may have been left on.
I wonder if the item pointed out on the floor is actually the perps legs. Watching it from the 1:17- 1:23 where that appears, it seemed like the camera froze or the video was spliced in that spot. Just a thought..

I am very certain that they had worked out inside before. I believe it was poster @arkansasmimi who found photos of MB and her boot camp in the main hallway. They were in front of the coffee place folding door and the auditorium doors on that side, a photo with mats working out and a group photo. Maybe it was just one time, or they went indoors just fir better light to take photos?

:) I wish we had started a photos and diagrams thread only way back 5 years ago!

Missy took this one and posted it on her FB on January 11th, 2016:
MB holy grounds pic january 11 2016.jpg
Click to enlarge

-Nin

I agree with the prior poster on the interview. That was an interesting watch. Great work on the floor plan and identifying the rooms. With the perp going room to room, and attempting to pry open a janitorial closet, I get the impression the perp was not familiar with the building.
If Missy was the target, why go room to room so methodically in advance? Going inside increased odds of being on a camera, triggering an alarm, etc. Why wouldn’t the perp confront her outside?
I wonder if there was something in the church the perp was seeking. It may not have been the offering funds, but something else kept there by a church leader or staff member.

Video being referenced:
I finally watched this video yesterday. One thing @Gumshoe Stories mentions that I had not known is that MB was a homeschooler. In 2016, the oldest child was attending regular HS, not sure about middle school child, but the youngest was probably 2nd-3rd grade and still taught at home by former special education teacher MB. And MB was involved with the HS child's sports. I mention this because -

There is a fine, subtle point that is easy to miss about MB's life: she was never alone anywhere, except the brief minutes when she was murdered at the church.

For about 16 years, she always had children at home. Her husband's job is local and he is home every night with one annual or biannual guys' fishing trip week. They have lived in the specific area at least 16 years, attend a church, local extended B family, friends, neighbors. MB was a people person, the social driver of her family, and she was never alone. Who knew she would be alone at Creekside Church?

Even when she drives "alone" there are other drivers, witnesses who can drive up unexpectedly. And everywhere she goes, she is with people at that location, except briefly at the church.

Why wouldn’t the perp confront her outside? The SW porte cochere awning entrance where MB always parked faces oncoming traffic on (north)westbound Hwy 287. An outdoor confrontation might be seen by anyone driving by because while outdoor cameras were not functioning, the outdoor lights were working.

JMO

I finally watched this video yesterday. One thing @Gumshoe Stories mentions that I had not known is that MB was a homeschooler. In 2016, the oldest child was attending regular HS, not sure about middle school child, but the youngest was probably 2nd-3rd grade and still taught at home by former special education teacher MB. And MB was involved with the HS child's sports. I mention this because -

There is a fine, subtle point that is easy to miss about MB's life: she was never alone anywhere, except the brief minutes when she was murdered at the church.

For about 16 years, she always had children at home. Her husband's job is local and he is home every night with one annual or biannual guys' fishing trip week. They have lived in the specific area at least 16 years, attend a church, local extended B family, friends, neighbors. MB was a people person, the social driver of her family, and she was never alone. Who knew she would be alone at Creekside Church?

Even when she drives "alone" there are other drivers, witnesses who can drive up unexpectedly. And everywhere she goes, she is with people at that location, except briefly at the church.

Why wouldn’t the perp confront her outside? The SW porte cochere awning entrance where MB always parked faces oncoming traffic on (north)westbound Hwy 287. An outdoor confrontation might be seen by anyone driving by because while outdoor cameras were not functioning, the outdoor lights were working.

JMO

That is a very interesting observation. It either severely narrows the suspect field, or expands it to anyone, meaning it was a chance encounter with a total stranger.

So most believe the perp is a man? It certainly could be, but when seeing the video when fresh for the first few times, I felt it could be a female.

I'm still not certain on the gender of the murderer.

I pray one day someone will come forward, and tell what they've known all of these years. Most perps do confide in others even if it's only one they trust. Or they do suspicious things afterwards around those they are in close contact with right after the murder.

I've seen unsolved cases like this one be solved only after many years have passed when someone finally contacted LE. Most said they were too fearful to come forward for years thinking if the perp was capable of murdering anyone they certainly could do the same to them if they dared tell what they knew. Many who finally came forward said they were repeatedly threatened by the perp when they told them if they told anyone the same thing would happen to them.

One case I recall it took the female witness 26 years to come forward. When she did the perp was arrested for murder, and finally found guilty after all those years. Iirc, the suspect was someone unknown to LE, and he was never on LEs radar the entire time.

Usually what happens there will be a separation of some type from the suspect where the person is no longer fearful of being harmed.

I believe this is the only way Missy's case will ever be solved. The majority of murder cases don't happen in a vacuum where no one else knows anything.

Jmho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member