UK - Constance Marten & Mark Gordon charged, Newborn (found deceased), Bolton Greater Manchester, 5 Jan 2023 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I realised after writing that, apologies!

I personally only have experience with opioids but most of the babies with NAS really, really struggled with feeding at first - particularly breastfeeding. Most were syringe and cup fed for a while. The drugs do pass through into breastmilk but not enough to prevent withdrawal and the awful high pitched crying that accompanies. Obviously we don't know when this baby was born and how old she was when witnesses saw her, but if there are issues feeding and a baby isn't getting the amount of milk required they can become quite drowsy, lethargic etc eventually. Core temp would also impact that and lead to a baby being very quiet and still if they were cold as well as malnourished. MOO and commenting in general not specifically about this baby.

The placenta crossed my mind also, however I'm not sure they would risk going out and about like that. It would be quite big and bulky to carry around with the baby attached, might draw attention, and would begin to smell unless they followed certain recommendations with cleaning and salt etc which from their lifestyle it doesn't seem likely. Would be interesting to see the condition of the placenta and cord

Do you think they may have been able to tell an approximate birth date by the condition of the placenta? CM says Christmas Eve but the prosecution says not before the 28th, and I did wonder if they could tell anything from the state of the placenta and how much it had started to decompose. Surely it would have been in a pretty disgusting state after 11 days being carried around? And as you said, the smell must have been pretty rancid!.

Thankyou for your insight here, it's very helpful :)

If CM gave birth in the cottage, wouldn't they utilise a bath or stand in shower? Posts are speculating that she gave birth on the bed (due to the sheets being washed), but that may not be the case? Just musing. Maybe she gave birth in the bathroom, and the stains on the floor was pee or amniotic fluid/cervical mucous (plug). Women bleed for weeks after delivering, so if she went to bed after the birth, that could explain the laundry. MOO.
Marten did say to the landlady that they had a nice cottage (Daily Mail article), despite not having a bath. Which might imply she really wanted a place with a bath, possibly for the birth. She booked at 4pm and they went up there that evening so perhaps she had run out of time to find a place with everything she was looking for.

I'm coming around to the idea she could have given birth in the cottage. Though I still want to know why the prosecution is dead set against it and where they think she gave birth if not there.

Last edited:
Marten did say to the landlady that they had a nice cottage (Daily Mail article), despite not having a bath. Which might imply she really wanted a place with a bath, possibly for the birth. She booked at 4pm and they went up there that evening so perhaps she had run out of time to find a place with everything she was looking for.

I'm coming around to the idea she could have given birth in the cottage. Though I still want to know why the prosecution is dead set against it and where they think she gave birth if not there.
She did, and also this detail - (placenta in towel) - of course that towel could have been theirs, but then equally, maybe it came from the cottage. Speculation.
Perhaps they wonder if the vehicle fire was to destroy evidence of birth, so they wonder if the birth was in the car, but only wondering - maybe they don't think that. She may have also bled on the seats, I did the same several days after childbirth o_O

Maybe she intended to give birth there but baby arrived later than they expected (no antenatal care so would not have a known due date) so was in the car soon after

I also think the cat litter was to help clear up the waste from the birth. They also made an effort to clean the sheets, and took the placenta with them whilst leaving the rest of the holiday cottage in a mess. Their priority was hiding the baby/birth.
Perhaps not, but there will be mitigation and the ‘pity party’ as you put it, will be part of that.

Re. Her absence from court.

Might her defence team be inclined to blame him?

Could there be a defence that she is scared of him and unable to speak her truth while he is there?

Not saying I believe that, but it seems like an obvious road for her defence to go down given his previous record.

Is the court going to allow this woman with connections-in-high-places to bend the rules that would usually apply to others?

Unless they’re working on a deal? Pleading to lesser charges perhaps?

She did, and also this detail - (placenta in towel) - of course that towel could have been theirs, but then equally, maybe it came from the cottage. Speculation.
Perhaps they wonder if the vehicle fire was to destroy evidence of birth, so they wonder if the birth was in the car, but only wondering - maybe they don't think that. She may have also bled on the seats, I did the same several days after childbirth o_O
I don't think there is much speculation the car fire was on purpose. It was very inconvenient for them and they left several important things behind. Most of their clothes, Martens passport, the placenta, and several grand in cash. Also the guy and his son who stopped said they were frantically throwing stuff out the car when he pulled up and tried to pay for a ride into town.

Considering they were trying to stay unnoticed by authorities that would be a very stupid way to burn out a car. Though who knows with these two. Thinking about it, if the prosecution had evidence she gave birth in the car (and it seems the fire was mostly contained to the engine block.) It would have been in the opening as evidence she was lying about the cottage. Still, too early to be sure on that.

I don't think she gave birth in the cottage. There's no mention of any blood or fluids from the landlady when she went back there. No way they managed a hole birth without staining any towel, sheet, mattress, flooring, or meticulously cleaned up all trace. Then proceeded to re-trash the cottage in the next couple of days and leave.

It seems they have very poor hygiene and trash every place they live. Even if they intended to conceal it, I can't see them being so thorough thorough there is nothing to indicate it and they got rid of all resulting rubbish.

I think they want to say she was born there because it was the 'nicest' and most stable environment they'd been staying in around that time. They are trying to keep her lifetime to when they were still staying inside. It makes it somewhat easier for them to argue she didn't die of negligence and neglect due to her living conditions if she didn't die in a tent.
They washed the sheets. There is the possibility that most or all of the labour was in the bath.

Depending on the time of year, it's probably warmer for Gordon to piss in a bottle and toss it outside.

There's a few pictures of the holiday cottage. It's not a horror show, but it certainly looks like there was no effort to clean up. The fact that they washed the sheets is slightly unusual in light of this, so maybe? - but I still think running the sheets through the wash wouldn't get rid of all traces of a birth, and if it stained the sheets it would also soak into the mattress.

As for the red wine on the bedspread. There is at least a wine glass out in the pictures. I'd go out on a limb and say basically every woman has seen blood on bedsheets at some point in their life. Personally I think you would be able to tell the difference, especially with a few days to dry.

I'm not saying it's impossible, just seems unlikely. Though that does beg the question of where she was born. I haven't heard anything on the prosecution giving a definitive alternative.
It really depends. On each of my births there was very little fluid and blood.

We know that the cottage didn't have a bath because Marten is quoted in the Daily Mail article mentioning it doesn't when booking the place. Though it could suggest she wanted a place with a bath.
Yes, I just read that post

Hi all - long time since I've been on here! So a lot of previous discussion has proved true! It seems that the suspected baby no. 4 was not stillborn though and is also in care now - I hope with a good family and together with siblings <3. My suspicion that a 'conspirituality' issue is also looking highly likely.

I see people have already been asking about the kitty litter (?!) and mess on the hob and whether they were drug related. 19k is a lot to burn through staying staying in Travelodges - even with a few mega taxi rides.

The powder on the hob to my mind could be from cooking crack - which I believe is relatively simple - and crack itself can look like certain brands of kitty litter to the unknowing eye. I also saw that kitty litter can be used to cook meth but that seems to my mind a very complex undertaking in a holiday home.

But surely this would have been described as such by the prosecution...?

Of course, the owners could have cleared away the evidence not realising what it was and it has since not been able to prove if there were drugs there or, if that was established, link it to the couple.

Apologies if I have covered old ground - I have some catching up to do. It's going to be an interesting few weeks.
Some further thoughts about drugs.
From a look around the internet I've noted the following:
For Meth, the ingredients can be obtained here and there e.g.
ammonia (urine) acetone (nail polish) anti-freeze, iodine, Kitty litter,
over the counter medications, camping fuel, plastic bottles etc.
the US sites say it is commonly made in sheds, hotel rooms and even in cars. The vapours produced are dangerously toxic, especially to children and very flammable. Co- incidentally MG was 20 years? in a US prison.
I also cannot imagine anyone who takes drugs leaving any behind anywhere hurry or not.

I haven't read that any of the witnesses actually saw the baby alive or heard her. The description of her having a 'wobbly head' with no further detail (looking, awake, asleep, gurgling, crying, moving) does not suggest normality to me, I recall one report up thread that 'they' had a meal in a restaurant in Brick Lane (London) sometime after the car-fire, but were 'they' two or three people? was the baby present with them for a meal out?

I also wonder about the purchase and then discarding of the pram or push-chair? After the baby had died, whenever that was, it would be foolish to put her into it, because someone might notice whereas by holding onto her closely and showing either nothing or just her head....?
Not many people would suspect a passing stranger to be carrying a dead baby.
I don't think the court has suggested that the £19K+ paid into CM's account was spent, but that it was paid into her account during the time of these events, CM may have has lots more money than that, but accessing it would reveal her whereabouts. I assume the police would have a picture of when and how she used her account/s.

I think they did not buy a campervan to stay in as a poster has queried, because that would be more easily traceable by its registration number than the series of hotel rooms, b and b and tents that they chose instead. They had previous experience, as reported, of living in a camper van so presumably had considered this. So they were really trying to be untraceable, they had two cars in quick succession.

I'm just reading at the moment ,not a expert on cat litter but Googling images have shown these to be just that .
Beyond my imagination to think of using it for the purpose suggested it might have been .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1