GUILTY UK - Helen Bailey, 51, Royston, 11 April 2016 #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Chloe Keedy ‏@ChloeKeedyITV [video=twitter;831816498012356608]https://twitter.com/ChloeKeedyITV/status/831816498012356608[/video]

Jury in Helen Bailey murder trial about to hear from final witness, called by the defence, before closing speeches begin this pm @itvanglia

Did we ever hear what happened to the phone Nick & Joe gave IS so that they could contact him?

I don't recall IS saying what happened to it or Trimmer asking where it was now and when they discussed IS going on holiday it was agreed that N&J wouldn't have been able to contact him on holiday... so WTF happened to the phone?

I thought IS said he returned it to N or J when they met in Margate. But not sure.

Did we ever hear what happened to the phone Nick & Joe gave IS so that they could contact him?

I don't recall IS saying what happened to it or Trimmer asking where it was now and when they discussed IS going on holiday it was agreed that N&J wouldn't have been able to contact him on holiday... so WTF happened to the phone?

They "lifted" it off him, I seem to recall.

Thanks for that. I don't recall this being brought up with IS. Is this because he can only be questioned on his statement? Can it be brought up in closing?

The defence is not going to bring that up with IS since he can't argue against it. What's he going to say? Maybe he'd do a McCann and say he'd handled lots of dead bodies in his visits to the GP office lol.

ETA: The prosecution can of course mention it in summing up but will only do so if they think it will help the jury reach a decision.

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/incoming/live-helen-bailey-murder-trial-12606434

10:54
[h=3]Former cafe owner gives evidence[/h]The first witness is Edward Farmer, who owned a cafe in Broadstairs - the Continental Corner Cafe in Charlotte Street. He says he had that business 12 years but sold it last year. “The cafe is down the high street, the street it’s in is a one way street going east to west. It’s fairly central in Broadstairs.”

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/incoming/live-helen-bailey-murder-trial-12606434

10:56
[h=3]Helen Bailey was a regular customer[/h]“Helen Bailey was a customer. I first met her seven years ago as a customer, her and her husband. “She visited fairly regularly. The two of them would come in, sit there and have a coffee. “I saw less of her as a customer in the cafe, and I came to understand that her husband (John Sinfield) had died. “She turned up, it was a shock to see her because we hadn’t seen her for a long time, but she told me why, that her husband had died.”

Yes he would have known. Their appearance was based off witness statements they made to the police before HB and B were found IIRC. I don't remember the dates but I don't think any were later than end of May.

I have no idea why he would want to contradict the evidence of his own witnesses. It would be interesting to know if his counsel knew he was going to do that or not.

Might be that he is getting seriously muddled now and starting to contradict itself. As Trimmer wisely pointed out to him - the truth is not hard to recall, but lies, especially when there have been reams of them, are far more difficult to remember, especially when one cannot remember what one has said to whom...

10:56
Helen Bailey was a regular customer

“Helen Bailey was a customer. I first met her seven years ago as a customer, her and her husband. “She visited fairly regularly. The two of them would come in, sit there and have a coffee. “I saw less of her as a customer in the cafe, and I came to understand that her husband (John Sinfield) had died. “She turned up, it was a shock to see her because we hadn’t seen her for a long time, but she told me why, that her husband had died.”

I wonder if it's going to turn out she was having a latte macchiato in there at 5.40pm on the 11th. :rolleyes:

This is a defence witness - can't think what he might say.

10:59
[h=3]Cafe owner has 'no doubt' he saw Helen Bailey[/h]“I then saw her at a later stage from someone who was introduced with her new partner (Stewart). “I saw him only once with Helen in that cafe. “I last saw Helen in the middle of last year. “Police came in the shop, saying she was missing. “About six or seven weeks prior I saw Helen in Charlotte Street. “There was no doubt it was her. “She was driving what looked to be a Range Rover, a dark colour. “I didn’t take any notice if anyone was with her. “The window was down, it was quite a nice day, she was driving towards me as I was walking.”

[FONT=&amp]“Nick phoned and told me to go to Spain, I told him I’d already cancelled it.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]“He said: ‘Just book and go. I just want you out the way’.

“Nick insisted I went. It just felt wrong. It was that time I started asking my family, Helen’s family, friends doctors if I should go. “They all said I should. I didn’t want to go. One nurse said go and made suggestions of what to do...

[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]“I went on June 12 from Stansted Airport. I booked the Raddison Blue hotel the night before.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]“Nick and Joe wanted details of what I was going to do, what the police were doing and what the press wanted.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]“I got up to the room and on the phone Joe had given me I got a phone call, saying go down to the bar and meet Nick.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]“I went down to the bar, a world cup football game was on. I said: ‘Is Helen here? Where’s Helen?’[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]“He said she wasn’t here.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]He said: ‘Do the police know you’re here?’[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]“I said: ‘Yes.’[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]He said: ‘If we don’t get what we want by the time you get back we’re going to want compensation.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]“I asked him what that meant and he said they want half a million pounds.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]“I said: ‘I haven’t got that money.’[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]He said: ‘Helen has and you’ve got power of attorney’.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]“He didn’t say why. I said: ‘I can’t do that, I don’t have it.’[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]“He said: ‘Go on holiday, it looks good if you go.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]“He then said you won’t need the phone while you’re in Spain, and he took it off me.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]“He then also threatened Jamie and Oliver. He said if you tell anyone you’ll not only never see Helen again but you’ll be visiting Jamie and Oliver in hospital”[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Stewart breaks down again.[/FONT]

Ah it must have been another phone they lifted off him. They "took" this one.

Yes I remember now, it was Helen's phone they "lifted". I remember thinking it sounded like he was sitting down to have had it lifted off him by someone towering over him. I'm really enthralled by his story as you can see.

:jail:

Tara Cox ‏@TaraCoxCN [video=twitter;831820340401733636]https://twitter.com/TaraCoxCN/status/831820340401733636[/video]

The last witness for the defence in the Helen Bailey murder trial is Edward Farmer, who owned a cafe in Broadstairs

10:59
Cafe owner has 'no doubt' he saw Helen Bailey

“I then saw her at a later stage from someone who was introduced with her new partner (Stewart). “I saw him only once with Helen in that cafe. “I last saw Helen in the middle of last year. “Police came in the shop, saying she was missing. “About six or seven weeks prior I saw Helen in Charlotte Street. “There was no doubt it was her. “She was driving what looked to be a Range Rover, a dark colour. “I didn’t take any notice if anyone was with her. “The window was down, it was quite a nice day, she was driving towards me as I was walking.”

Helen, who hated driving and didn't have a Range Rover. Unless her kidnappers were letting her swan about in theirs :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gretyr