GUILTY UK - Kempsey, found in a septic tank, Jul'19, missing in 1982 - Brenda Venables *husband arrested*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
An 86-year-old man thought to be David Venables is in custody after remains believed to be of his wife Brenda, who disappeared in 1982, were discovered at their former home in Kempsey, Worcs.

'Husband', 86, arrested for murder after human remains found in septic tank at farm where wife vanished in 1982

Not surprised he’s been ‘hiding’ in his bungalow ( behind closed blinds) since he sold the farmhouse 5 years ago!

He must have been waiting for a knock on the door!

I wonder why he moved at all! Very risky!

I wonder if he’ll play the “Unfit for Trial” card next.

Obviously this is assuming he’s guilty, which is MOO.

( Have I always been so cynical or did my WS addiction turn me this way?!)

That poor dear lady, if indeed it is Brenda...wife of David Venables.

What a long time to remain undiscovered & how very sad that she was not missed more &/or that her sudden disappearance was not taken more seriously.

They had no children. I wonder if they were somewhat reclusive?

( Obviously this is assuming what we’re suspecting to be true so MOO.)

What a surprise! ;):D:p

It is one of those things you don't see coming, like Christmas.

animated-smileys-surprised-007.gif

Please wait till he's charged before gloating. I admit I can be wrong - I generally am. :-(
If I am wrong, wonder why they let him go to the dump the day after the remains were found, unless they followed him and retrieved what he dumped???

"Police today searched the home of an elderly retired farmer after he was arrested on suspicion of murder following the discovery of a woman's remains in a septic tank at a farmhouse."

16671982-7300643-image-a-37_1564488652738.jpg

"Two officers leave the bungalow in Kempsey today following the arrest of Mr Venables"

Last edited:
Husband, 86, arrested for murder after human remains found in septic tank at farm where wife vanished in 1982

"Neighbours said the OAP had lived alone for the past five years, but hadn't been seen for three days before cops swooped this morning."

He is a very private man. He has lived there for five years and he has not once opened his venetian blinds
A neighbour said: "He must live at the back of the bungalow because they are never open.
"You would occasionally see him to say 'hello' but no-one on this cul-de-sac has any sort of relationship with him.
"He has lived alone there. Not once has he ever mentioned being married."
Mr Venables car remained parked on the drive.
'HE KEPT HIMSELF TO HIMSELF'
Another local resident said the OAP "kept himself to himself and he is thought to have been on holiday last week.

One neighbour said she was "staggered" at news of Mr Venables' arrest.

She said: "He's fairly new to the area. He's very quiet. At Christmas time I was taking cards to neighbours around the close.

"I'd only met him once before and spoken to him only briefly. After I put the card in his letterbox he called a few days later and thanked me for the card.

"I asked him if he wanted to come in for a cup of tea and he said yes. I haven't really seen him since then, I'm absolutely flabbergasted."

One local added: "We don't see him, really. He gets out of his bungalow and into his car and then comes back."

Not surprised he’s been ‘hiding’ in his bungalow ( behind closed blinds) since he sold the farmhouse 5 years ago!

He must have been waiting for a knock on the door!

I wonder why he moved at all! Very risky!

I wonder if he’ll play the “Unfit for Trial” card next.

Obviously this is assuming he’s guilty, which is MOO.

( Have I always been so cynical or did my WS addiction turn me this way?!)

Well, in this case, no cynicism is even required. Unless ‘septic tank’ means something totally different in the UK, the person who controlled the property, (or someone else with great knowledge of the property,) would be the only logical suspect.

Being arrested: your rights

"How long you can be held in custody
The police can hold you for up to 24 hours before they have to charge you with a crime or release you.

They can apply to hold you for up to 36 or 96 hours if you’re suspected of a serious crime, eg murder.

You can be held without charge for up to 14 days If you’re arrested under the Terrorism Act.

When you can be released on bail
The police can release you on police bail if there’s not enough evidence to charge you. You don’t have to pay to be released on police bail, but you’ll have to return to the station for further questioning when asked.

You can be released on conditional bail if the police charge you and think that you may:

• commit another offence
  • fail to turn up at court
  • intimidate other witnesses
  • obstruct the course of justice
This means your freedom will be restricted in some way, eg they can impose a curfew on you if your offence was committed at night."

Above is from the link. They will have an initial 24 hours to question then they will have to decide to extend the time, charge him or bail him. So we should know more tomorrow. Does anyone know exactly what time he was arrested? All I have read is that the police were there this morning.

An 86-year-old man thought to be David Venables is in custody after remains believed to be of his wife Brenda, who disappeared in 1982, were discovered at their former home in Kempsey, Worcs.

'Husband', 86, arrested for murder after human remains found in septic tank at farm where wife vanished in 1982

RIP Brenda.

I would imagine he has a story ready, how she died naturally or had an accident that didn't involve him, and he got scared for some reason and put her in the bag and in the septic tank. If there is no clear indication on the remains that she was murdered they would need a confession that he indeed killed her, and how. The only evidence poiting to murder I can think of are gun shot or stab marks on the bones, or a broken hyod bone (strangulation)?

And how will they prove intent after all this time?

Please wait till he's charged before gloating. I admit I can be wrong - I generally am. :-(
If I am wrong, wonder why they let him go to the dump the day after the remains were found, unless they followed him and retrieved what he dumped???

"Police today searched the home of an elderly retired farmer after he was arrested on suspicion of murder following the discovery of a woman's remains in a septic tank at a farmhouse."

16671982-7300643-image-a-37_1564488652738.jpg

"Two officers leave the bungalow in Kempsey today following the arrest of Mr Venables"

Went to the dump??

Does anyone else wonder about how those tricky conversations must have gone?
Surely his brother, her family, her friends, asked at some point 'where's Brenda'? Or at the very least 'why do you think she left?'
I wonder if 'she's' been claiming her pension all these years?
And how about selling your house to a relative, knowing there is a corpse in the back garden cess pit! That must have been another interesting conversation if his relative called him before the police! Moo

BBC News just on radio and below.

Man held over septic tank remains released

• 19 minutes ago
_108115018_paper307.jpg
Image copyrightWORCESTER NEWS
Image captionOfficers said the deceased was "likely to be" local woman Brenda Venables, who went missing in 1982

"An 86-year-old man held on suspicion of murder after female human remains were found in a septic tank has been released while inquiries continue.

The bones were discovered in Kempsey, Worcestershire, on 12 July during a routine emptying of the tank.

Officers said the deceased was "likely to be" local woman Brenda Venables, who went missing in 1982.

West Mercia Police said the investigation was ongoing and various lines of inquiry were being explored.

Mrs Venables, 48, was reported missing by her farmer husband David from the couple's then home in Bestmans Lane, Kempsey.

The remains were discovered after the tank was drained during routine maintenance.

The discovery was made eight miles from Pershore, where police were searching for missing estate agent Suzy Lamplugh.

That search ended on 17 July and police confirmed the Kempsey discovery was not linked to Ms Lamplugh, who disappeared from London in 1986."

I wish family could issue a better picture of Brenda.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1
Back