4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #91

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
At first, I thought it had internal storage like a Kody box where you can download and replay without internet. Or like if you bought a movie from Amazon Prime and wanted to take it with you. Still a cool sort of hack for those without a smart tv. I still have my old tv bc it plays dvds!
If you buy a movie on Prime, you CAN watch it anywhere there is internet access (on your laptop, on someone's smart TV, etc.). All you have to do is log in to Amazon.

The storage on Firesticks are mainly for the Android based OS, downloadable apps, and caches (for buffering etc). Its main purpose is to stream and sell Prime movies. It does not download them locally for offline play. Only streaming. It also has Alexis built in and smart home functionality. And access to other Amazon services like pictures, videos etc.

You can utilize the SSD space on it for “sideloading” which essentially turns your Firestick into an Android tablet of sorts. Meaning it can do anything but make cellular phone calls and send and receive sms texts. You otherwise have full access to the Google Play store. You can use 3rd party services like WhatsApp for messaging if you wanted. But can’t imagine that would be a great experience on a remote. You can also load up your own movies and such if you have the space. Needless to say Amazon does not like sideloading for obvious reasons. Anyone who can read, can sideload. Instructions are all over the web.

There’s really no way to know what BK used his device for because there are tens of thousands of possible combinations.

Also worth repeating that while these devices were originally intended to provide smart features to dumb TVs they are now much more than that. Some of them can pump out Dolby Atmos directly to sound systems and provide high levels of customization which most smart TVs aren’t capable of. They are also supported and updated far more frequently than a smart tv. So I’d be willing to bet that Firesticks are mostly purchased by people with SmartTvs.

MOO

I highly doubt they'll find anything all that interesting on the firestick, probably just what shows he watched (I would bet at least on Handmaids Tale since he is a fan of Margaret Atwood).
Screen Shot 2023-06-08 at 12.05.10 PM.png

If you buy a movie on Prime, you CAN watch it anywhere there is internet access (on your laptop, on someone's smart TV, etc.). All you have to do is log in to Amazon.
Oh yeah, I understand that. I just thought it had internal storage so movies could be played without internet. Like how you can download a digital copy of a movie/song. @Chloegirl I don't think the Fire Stick has internal storage.

Oh yeah, I understand that. I just thought it had internal storage so movies could be played without internet. Like how you can download a digital copy of a movie/song. @Chloegirl I don't think the Fire Stick has internal storage.
The Firestick, as I've said a few times now, has internal storage. It comes with either 8gb or 16gb depending on the model you pick.

The internal storage is not necessarily meant for the user to utilize. But it can be easily accessed by 'sideloading' and it's a lot more common than Amazon cares for.

The Firestick, as I've said a few times now, has internal storage. It comes with either 8gb or 16gb depending on the model you pick.

The internal storage is not necessarily meant for the user to utilize. But it can be easily accessed by 'sideloading' and it's a lot more common than Amazon cares for.
It seems to depend on the model, the ones I saw did not mention internal storage. At least not storage mentioned as a feature, as in the user being able to access it for their own use. That is what I'm referring to, as I think ppl are wondering if BK could have used it for the wrong reasons (obv).

It seems to depend on the model, the ones I saw did not mention internal storage. At least not storage mentioned as a feature, as in the user being able to access it for their own use. That is what I'm referring to, as I think ppl are wondering if BK could have used it for the wrong reasons (obv).
All of them come with internal storage. Installing apps, saving your preferences and caches/buffers for streaming movies would be impossible without it. As flash “memory” is temporary and erases itself whenever it loses power. I believe the the base model normal is 8 and the 4k max (or whatever they call it) is 16gb.

But you’re right in that they likely don’t actively promote it. Because unlike Amazon’s other product the Kindle, the Firestick isn’t really designed to store user purchased content locally or for offline use.

So LE more than likely searched through whatever Firestick devices they took in. But there might be nothing on them if they used it as intended.

Edit: just double checked and if you scroll down to the bottom of every/any Firestick page on Amazon the comparison chart shows the “storage” (hard drive) space of each model and the “memory” (RAM).

Last edited:
The storage on Firesticks are mainly for the Android based OS, downloadable apps, and caches (for buffering etc). Its main purpose is to stream and sell Prime movies. It does not download them locally for offline play. Only streaming. It also has Alexis built in and smart home functionality. And access to other Amazon services like pictures, videos etc.

You can utilize the SSD space on it for “sideloading” which essentially turns your Firestick into an Android tablet of sorts. Meaning it can do anything but make cellular phone calls and send and receive sms texts. You otherwise have full access to the Google Play store. You can use 3rd party services like WhatsApp for messaging if you wanted. But can’t imagine that would be a great experience on a remote. You can also load up your own movies and such if you have the space. Needless to say Amazon does not like sideloading for obvious reasons. Anyone who can read, can sideload. Instructions are all over the web.

There’s really no way to know what BK used his device for because there are tens of thousands of possible combinations.

Also worth repeating that while these devices were originally intended to provide smart features to dumb TVs they are now much more than that. Some of them can pump out Dolby Atmos directly to sound systems and provide high levels of customization which most smart TVs aren’t capable of. They are also supported and updated far more frequently than a smart tv. So I’d be willing to bet that Firesticks are mostly purchased by people with SmartTvs.

MOO
Agree. Once using a Fire stick everything else seems clunky and proprietary.

I highly doubt they'll find anything all that interesting on the firestick, probably just what shows he watched (I would bet at least on Handmaids Tale since he is a fan of Margaret Atwood).
View attachment 466517

He doesn't look as creepy with a (semi) smile on his face. First picture I've seen of him smiling.

Looks like there are all about 20 years old or so.

View attachment 466517

What makes you think he's a fan of feminist Margaret Atwood? Do you think he changed a lot between this time and his entry into WSU? Women at WSU say he was anti-women and anti-LGBQT people.

This could have been part of a class, where he had to go - or he could have been there just to inwardly criticize and mock Margaret Atwood. The fact that he appears to put himself in the front row at a feminist event is very concerning to me. And that's not much of a smile, although he looks relaxed. I'd say he looks cocky. IMO. The man seated in the back right corner is plainly smiling; Kohberger not so much. There's a man visible on the left side, also not smiling. All the other men I see are smiling - with their lips and their eyes. Kohberger is the only person not looking directly at the camera. He has his chin slightly thrust out and lips, while slightly upturned, are pursed.
Both he and the woman to our far left in the front row appear to be gazing at something slightly to the left side of the camera - so perhaps there was just some distraction. But knowing what he's accused of and how dark somere of the men are in Atwood's books (The Handmaid's Tale in particular), this picture gives me a certain feeling. The guy in the front row who looks detached, perhaps even disapproving, is not something I like to see when I have to stand in front of an audience.
I am using the gaze of most of the other participants (esp Atwood's) to judge where the lens is. Atwood knows to look directly into it, as she's done this hundreds of times.

He inappropriately touched the one woman we know he tried to date; he had complaints from women at WSU; he was given a performance plan and failed to reform himself.

Chris Cuomo seems to be the main source for this story, but he does have his own sources. Given that Kohberger stands accused of a crime that seems mainly pointed at women, I think it's not improbable that he like stands against and even hates everything Margaret Atwood stands for. In all my years at colleges, this is not at all an improbable situation. I'll admit I'm biased by the words from WSU (second link above):

His attitude towards women was cited as a key concern, with the criminal justice student allegedly being “rude to women”, grading the women that he taught differently to the men, and having a “sexist attitude towards females he interacted with at the school”.
^The Independent

IMO

What makes you think he's a fan of feminist Margaret Atwood? Do you think he changed a lot between this time and his entry into WSU? Women at WSU say he was anti-women and anti-LGBQT people.

This could have been part of a class, where he had to go - or he could have been there just to inwardly criticize and mock Margaret Atwood. The fact that he appears to put himself in the front row at a feminist event is very concerning to me. And that's not much of a smile, although he looks relaxed. I'd say he looks cocky. IMO. The man seated in the back right corner is plainly smiling; Kohberger not so much. There's a man visible on the left side, also not smiling. All the other men I see are smiling - with their lips and their eyes. Kohberger is the only person not looking directly at the camera. He has his chin slightly thrust out and lips, while slightly upturned, are pursed.
Both he and the woman to our far left in the front row appear to be gazing at something slightly to the left side of the camera - so perhaps there was just some distraction. But knowing what he's accused of and how dark somere of the men are in Atwood's books (The Handmaid's Tale in particular), this picture gives me a certain feeling. The guy in the front row who looks detached, perhaps even disapproving, is not something I like to see when I have to stand in front of an audience.
I am using the gaze of most of the other participants (esp Atwood's) to judge where the lens is. Atwood knows to look directly into it, as she's done this hundreds of times.

He inappropriately touched the one woman we know he tried to date; he had complaints from women at WSU; he was given a performance plan and failed to reform himself.

Chris Cuomo seems to be the main source for this story, but he does have his own sources. Given that Kohberger stands accused of a crime that seems mainly pointed at women, I think it's not improbable that he like stands against and even hates everything Margaret Atwood stands for. In all my years at colleges, this is not at all an improbable situation. I'll admit I'm biased by the words from WSU (second link above):

^The Independent

IMO
I think if he read the book at all, he did so thinking 'what a great society!' rather than seeing it as Atwood intended, a horrifying dystopia.

MOO

I think if he read the book at all, he did so thinking 'what a great society!' rather than seeing it as Atwood intended, a horrifying dystopia.

MOO

Yes - and having taught this book many times myself, I'll say that BK would not be alone in that. I stopped using it years ago, teaching a sex and gender course is already fraught with difficulties. And of course, students started watching the show instead of reading, which was not my goal.

There are online groups/forums for both men and women who believe the values of Atwood's dystopian society should be our general values. I wish we knew when, in time, his date with the woman who had to lock herself in the bathroom took place, relative to his experience of this feminist author. It seems that in his 28 years, he was able to leave quite a significant trail of anti-woman behaviors and sentiments, so I don't think he's in the audience to admire Atwood. The opposite. And in some press on this talk, the photo is cropped so that you see only the tops of the front row people's heads (thereby removing BK from the photo - and I've wondered...is it because of his less than enthusiastic, slightly prissy expression? That's how I see his face, anyway).

IMO.

View attachment 466517
Even though photographs are, by definition, static, there's still a lot of movement and emotion captured in this one frame.

Looking at multiple faces, it appears to me that they are all looking at something quite pleasant. I see smiles, grins, a thumbs up even. Something has captured nearly everyone's attention. Something perhaps amusing. It's not but I can imagine it's a puppy. Something evoking a touch of whimsy, perhaps a school administrator, giving a lead in, offering a funny remark -- it was something that unified the audience. Except for one girl who wasn't looking at all, and BK, who -- if it were a puppy -- was probaby thinking something sterile (never mind creepy and macabre) like other countries eat dogs.

Easy to read what we want into photographs, but to me, BK seems to be responding not with everyone else but to a reaction in his head, his own inside joke. Not amused, bemused. At himself. I think he genuinely disdains everyone else...

We know he spent a great deal of time researching the minds of killers. He may well have been lost in those same thoughts that day. Equally bemused.

JMO

MOO
I agree. We all read and view the world through the lens of our own beliefs. He had no look of anticipation about him, so I didn't feel like he was excited to hear what she was going to say. I haven't read the books or seen the series, so I had only a vaguest idea what it was about.

I hope this makes sense but, when we first saw this, I wondered if he went there to hear these women say what incels believe all women think of men. I could see someone with his worldview sitting there and quietly seething through all of that.

Now I'm not sure, but the picture is still chilling to me.

Even though photographs are, by definition, static, there's still a lot of movement and emotion captured in this one frame.

Looking at multiple faces, it appears to me that they are all looking at something quite pleasant. I see smiles, grins, a thumbs up even. Something has captured nearly everyone's attention. Something perhaps amusing. It's not but I can imagine it's a puppy. Something evoking a touch of whimsy, perhaps a school administrator, giving a lead in, offering a funny remark -- it was something that unified the audience. Except for one girl who wasn't looking at all, and BK, who -- if it were a puppy -- was probaby thinking something sterile (never mind creepy and macabre) like other countries eat dogs.

Easy to read what we want into photographs, but to me, BK seems to be responding not with everyone else but to a reaction in his head, his own inside joke. Not amused, bemused. At himself. I think he genuinely disdains everyone else...

We know he spent a great deal of time researching the minds of killers. He may well have been lost in those same thoughts that day. Equally bemused.

JMO

Totally agree. His expression is out of sync with everyone else's. If I were the person standing with or near the camera, I'd have found him distracting. Perhaps even irritating, since the goal is to take a happy picture of a famous author, with her admirers.

Most of my students know that if you're going to sit in the front row for something, you put your game face on and at least look as if you're paying attention and interested. Did he get there early to get that seat? I would assume so.

Did he stare at Atwood from just a few feet away while she talked?

I agree he appears to be responding to internal stimuli. "Everyone thinks it's a dystopian novel! I think it's UTOPIAN!" (Okay, that's wild speculation, but that's the sense I get).

IMO.

Hi
Just popped in to ask about a trial :)
Any news?????
Thanks!
No news yet about when the trial will be scheduled, unfortunately.

As we approach the second Christmas without them, sending love & support to all the family, friends, and other loved ones of Xana, Ethan, Maddie, & Kaylee.

This time last year, BK was still footloose & fancy free :mad: This is his first holiday season behind bars where he belongs, MOO.

This holiday season, I’m extremely grateful for the thorough & diligent multi-agency LE investigation that identified the suspect & got him off the streets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member