IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #26

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
When police said that Jessica Ridgeway's parents were not considered suspects, that statement was accepted and respected. When police said that Lyric Cook's parents were not considered suspects, the statement is viewed as nonsense. Why is that?

"Authorities said previously that Jessica’s parents — Jeremiah Bryant, who lives in Missouri, and Sarah Ridgeway, of Westminster — are not considered suspects."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/cops-find-body-search-jessica-ridgeway-article-1.1180605

Investigators have been closely scrutinizing Dan and Misty Morrissey and have subjected both of them to multiple polygraph tests. At the same time, they say they are not considered suspects in the case and are looking into their backgrounds and associates only so as not to discount any possible leads.

http://wcfcourier.com/news/evansdal...cle_1b99fc98-d296-11e1-b0a4-0019bb2963f4.html

I can't copy the paragraph for whatever reason, but in the blue box at the bottom it says Wednesday the 10th Jessica's parents are cleared of any suspicion. There is a difference between not being suspects and being cleared.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ing-abduct-boy-12-miles-Jessica-vanished.html

And just to reiterate I do NOT think the girls parents in this case have any involvement. I do WISH the police could clear them of suspicion as they did in Jessica's case.

Um, I do.

Especially when she said she was annoyed enough to go looking for them at 12.30.

Why not just call them in at 12.15?

Do we have a direct quote from the family stating the last time they saw them was 12:15?

I can't copy the paragraph for whatever reason, but in the blue box at the bottom it says Wednesday the 10th Jessica's parents are cleared of any suspicion. There is a difference between not being suspects and being cleared.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ing-abduct-boy-12-miles-Jessica-vanished.html

And just to reiterate I do NOT think the girls parents in this case have any involvement. I do WISH the police could clear them of suspicion as they did in Jessica's case.

In both cases, police have said that the parents are not suspects. It seems unreasonable to me that this taken at face value in the case of one missing/murdered child, and not in the other.

In both cases, police have said that the parents are not suspects. It seems unreasonable to me that this taken at face value in the case of one missing/murdered child, and not in the other.

Did you follow Jessica's case? I'm asking because I don't recall whether or not you did. But until her parents were cleared, they were still discussed at length because it is statistically the most likely scenario. I know it sucks, but it's true. Like I said earlier, until the parents were CLEARED I still thought Jessica's mom was involved, even though she wasn't a suspect.

"not a suspect" does not equal "cleared"

Did you follow Jessica's case? I'm asking because I don't recall whether or not you did. But until her parents were cleared, they were still discussed at length because it is statistically the most likely scenario. I know it sucks, but it's true. Like I said earlier, until the parents were CLEARED I still thought Jessica's mom was involved, even though she wasn't a suspect.

**raises hand**

I was there

And the sames rules applied there as here and we had the same problems with speculation there as here with resulting timeouts

There is no speculation about the family at this time. It does not matter if we hear the word cleared. The only word that will effect any change in this discussion is the words suspect or person of interest.

I totally don't get why people are saying adults wouldn't ride a bike. Is New England the only part of the country where people still get around by means other than cranking up a car????

A yankee here I'll second that OT Eah herd of Linwood Ma. ?

without going into any details WHATSOEVER, I can attest to the fact that people who are cheating find out of the way places to meet their lovers on lunch break.

other reasons someone might seek an out of the way, low visibility place to spend their lunch hour, to smoke marijuana or use other drugs, to drink, to nap, to be alone, to have a good cry, etc.

There is a park near my office that I will take a lunchable to and sit with my top down (the car's; not mine). I am sure that I could make some people feel hinky, but sometimes I need to get out of the office and soak up some sun on my face. My stress breaks are innocent, but I am sure that others with bad thoughts could take similar daytime breaks.

I did follow the Jessica Ridgeway case from the beginning and distinctly recall a warning very early in the discussion from our moderator Salem making it clear that "we are not going there" in relation to any discussion that implicated the family.

There is a park near my office that I will take a lunchable to and sit with my top down (the car's; not mine). I am sure that I could make some people feel hinky, but sometimes I need to get out of the office and soak up some sun on my face. My stress breaks are innocent, but I am sure that others with bad thoughts could take similar daytime breaks.

I just don't see that happening at Maiden Lane. It's an overgrown, un-used road that was built before the 1930s. It was closed off and abandoned in the 1980s. The turnoff is at the sewer pump station. The lake is leech infested and I believe I've read from locals say that there's poison ivy in the area. I just don't see anyone taking their lunch break in the midst of poison ivy between a sewer pump station and a leech infested lake.

I just don't see that happening at Maiden Lane. It's an overgrown, un-used road that was built before the 1930s. It was closed off and abandoned in the 1980s. The turnoff is at the sewer pump station. The lake is leech infested and I believe I've read from locals say that there's poison ivy in the area. I just don't see anyone taking their lunch break in the midst of poison ivy between a sewer pump station and a leech infested lake.

Probably not.

What if they parked in the parking lot and ate lunch. Saw some kids playing on the rock jetty and decided to snatch them?

Don't know if this means anything, but last summer a policeman told me and my husband Greenbrier Addition is the worst place in town for drug trafficking. I was surprised because I lived there for 21 years, and it was so hard to believe. But that was 18 years ago. I asked him, "You mean Greenbrier is worse than the E. 4th street area?" He replied, "Much worse."

This article makes Meyers Lake sound not all that horrible:

EVANSDALE, IOWA - It's a small lake, 26 acres, an oasis of silvery blue in a place where drought and heat are burning the landscape brown.

Residents of this working-class suburb of Waterloo, Iowa, normally picnic at Meyers Lake in the shade of a wooden pavilion next to an old Army tank, or stroll the paved nature trail that circles the lake.

http://m.startribune.com/news/?id=163305976&c=y

Perhaps someone spent their lunch hour (or other down time) at Meyers Lake watching kids on the trail. I've read that pedophiles like to find ways to hang out where children play. This perv decides this would be a perfect place to snatch a kid, maybe spends a couple of lunch hours scoping out the area to find just the right place, and on July 13th, he parks on Maiden Lake, and waits. For those who favor the random abduction theory, does this scenario sound plausible?

I suppose if the girls were lured, the person(s) they were meeting could have scoped out the area and determined that Maiden Lane was a perfect spot to wait for the girls. JMO

This article makes Meyers Lake sound not all that horrible:

EVANSDALE, IOWA - It's a small lake, 26 acres, an oasis of silvery blue in a place where drought and heat are burning the landscape brown.

Residents of this working-class suburb of Waterloo, Iowa, normally picnic at Meyers Lake in the shade of a wooden pavilion next to an old Army tank, or stroll the paved nature trail that circles the lake.

http://m.startribune.com/news/?id=163305976&c=y

Perhaps someone spent their lunch hour (or other down time) at Meyers Lake watching kids on the trail. I've read that pedophiles like to find ways to hang out where children play. This perv decides this would be a perfect place to snatch a kid, maybe spends a couple of lunch hours scoping out the area to find just the right place, and on July 13th, he parks on Maiden Lake, and waits. For those who favor the random abduction theory, does this scenario sound plausible?

I suppose if the girls were lured, the person(s) they were meeting could have scoped out the area and determined that Maiden Lane was a perfect spot to wait for the girls. JMO

Man, I'm gonna have to start eating my lunchables at the office. A guy can't go to the park anymore without being a perv. I know that isn't what you said, but I better play it safe.

**raises hand**

I was there

And the sames rules applied there as here and we had the same problems with speculation there as here with resulting timeouts

There is no speculation about the family at this time. It does not matter if we hear the word cleared. The only word that will effect any change in this discussion is the words suspect or person of interest.

I apologize, I wasn't saying it was okay to sleuth the family or discuss them as suspects. I was just trying to explain why many people still wonder (to themselves since doing so out loud here would be a big no no) and think the parents are involved. I just want the police to clear people.

Again, I want to reiterate I do NOT think the parents were involved.

I did follow the Jessica Ridgeway case from the beginning and distinctly recall a warning very early in the discussion from our moderator Salem making it clear that "we are not going there" in relation to any discussion that implicated the family.

I'm not trying to discuss the family as suspects, I'm just trying to explain why people think family might be involved. That is all.

Really?

I would think the last time I spoke to or saw a murdered child would be engraved on my brain in detail.

I posted a couple of pages back that everyone in Iowa will remember exactly what they were doing when they first heard the news, which was about 5pm the same day.

No time for confusion or blurry memories.

For the folks in Iowa, it would have been like the day Kennedy was shot. Every detail of what they were doing that day, would be imbedded in their memories, for ever. Many, many folks in Evansdale would have scoured their day and their diaries, to see if they could remember anything relevant to help find them.

In the early days the girls were only "missing", possibly drowned, also LE stated repeatedly they felt they were still alive so it wasn't without hope, therefore the "trauma" would be somewhat lessened.

:cow:

I don't remember what I was doing when Kennedy was shot. I was at school, I think, but what I remember is blank shock and incomprehension.

People react differently to shock. Some people are sharp and coherent, some people fall apart in tears, some are confused, some laugh crazily, etc. etc. It doesn't mean much about guilt or anything.

Otto, you may have provided an important clue for LE to check out, i.e. local hospital records or walk-in clinics on whom was treated for poison ivy rash after July 13th, i.e. for now, I would ask how many adult males were treated for poison ivy. Just imo.

Not from the area but this would not sound like a great place to break.

I think when you say the person who did this was probably a non-working person, you might be referring to the amount of time it would take for someone to "possibly" follow these girls, wait for the moment, take them from the park, take their lives, then drive twenty miles and dispose their bodies and then drive back to town, (if he lived in town). Most people only get an hour for lunch so yes its possible the person did not have a job, or he had a day off from his job.

But yes I do agree that people do all kinds of things on their lunch breaks, but IMO I think this person was not on a lunch break.

I have a question about the dogs who supposedly picked up the girls' scents near where the bikes were found.

If the girls had been there earlier, say the day before, but not on the day they disappeared, would the dogs still pick up their scents?

Tracking dogs, by instinct and training, follow from the oldest scent available to the newest. Dogs can tell the difference in age of scent in increments as small as 1-2 seconds (which translates roughly into 2-4 human steps).

If the girls had been at the lake on Thursday but their bicycles were dumped there, we know that the girls were indeed riding their bicycles on Friday. The dogs would identify the bicycles as the newest scent available and cast around looking for even newer scent.

The details vary according to the specific way the dog is trained but essentially the dogs would say "hey partner, these bicycles are the newest scent available in this area."

That's the short version, anyway. I can go into the longer version(s) if you would like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unnamedTV